What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016-17 NBA Thread: Finals are over, please go away (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to thank, and to cuss out, whoever first mentioned Nate Duncan podcast. Now I need to find a job with a longer commute. Great stuff and super inside baseball.  :nerd: :nerd:

I would like to thank, and to cuss out, whoever first mentioned Nate Duncan podcast. Now I need to find a job with a longer commute. Great stuff and super inside baseball.  :nerd: :nerd:
Between Lowe and Duncan, I have stopped listening to Jalen and Jacoby and only Simmons depending on the guest.

Yeah, Boston is definitely known as having a soft media and laid back fan base
Is the Boston media tough?   This comes as a surprise to me.  When I think Boston I think of that old guy Bob Ryan on Sports Reporters and never ending praise/defending of Brady and Pats. Fans are tough though 

Is the Boston media tough?   This comes as a surprise to me.  When I think Boston I think of that old guy Bob Ryan on Sports Reporters and never ending praise/defending of Brady and Pats. Fans are tough though 
Boston sports media has a very long history of being one of the toughest out there.  It has softened giving all of the success of the various teams over the last 15 years but to think that Howard would be under less scrutiny in Boston compared to LA is nuts.

The Barnes contract is a complete non-worry for the 76ers.

They have no payroll and have too many young guys that have service years remaining on rookie deals. + team option years.

This will include Saric, Simmons, Lawuwa at mirrored 4 years with Harrison.

The only issue is if they wanted other FAs, but they have a ton of flexibility with cap and contracts.

That's worse than what Durant already has in Oklahoma City. Except that he'd be living in Miami instead of Oklahoma City.
I don't disagree. I think Durant should stay in OKC if winning a title is his singular goal. Best chance is staying there. They are a heck of team (that did have a massive chock job BTW).

But it's nice to dream sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't disagree. I think Durant should stay in OKC if winning a title is his singular goal. Best chance is staying there. They are a heck of team (that did have a massive chock job BTW).

But it's nice to dream sometimes.
If winning a title is his singular goal, he goes to GS since no one can guard the action off of a Curry-Green PnR with Durant in the Barnes role. 

If winning a title is his singular goal, he goes to GS since no one can guard the action off of a Curry-Green PnR with Durant in the Barnes role. 
They can't pay him. Singular goal besides being paid. Being paid market value is assumed here.

The defending Western Conference champion Warriors currently have $17.6 million in cap space and only eight players signed for next season, according to Spotrac.com.

They can't pay him. Singular goal besides being paid. Being paid market value is assumed here.

The defending Western Conference champion Warriors currently have $17.6 million in cap space and only eight players signed for next season, according to Spotrac.com.
Oh they will find a way believe me. Lacob's mind is made up and there are numerous articles out there detailing on how the dubs can get it done.

Would be a real interesting fit with the Bulls. I think Mirotic is going to explode w/o Derrick Rose pounding the ball on the ground for 20 seconds a possession. Actually the whole Bulls team will be much much much much much much much better off. Enjoy Knicks. Hope he has a contract year explosion and gets a max deal from you. Good luck with that. :thumbup:

Free agent Mike Conley will meet with the Mavericks on July 1, according to ESPN's Chris Broussard.
Plenty of teams are interested in Conley, the summer's premier unrestricted FA point guard, and his meeting with Dallas doesn't imply that they have an advantage in signing him. The Grizzlies are expected to "aggressively recruit" him as their No. 1 priority during free agency, but may be balking at a five-year offer which only they can make. Memphis faces heavy competition from potential suitors like the Spurs and Bulls, in addition to the Mavs. Jun 30 - 12:19 AM

Source: Chris Broussard on Twitter

Lots of people saying Noah to Knicks is pretty much a done deal. Probably a deal starting around $18m per season. 

Lots of people saying Noah to Knicks is pretty much a done deal. Probably a deal starting around $18m per season. 
Thats disgusting.  Hoping like last year when they said Lopez was gonna get 18 million and only got 13 annually. 

Would be a real interesting fit with the Bulls. I think Mirotic is going to explode w/o Derrick Rose pounding the ball on the ground for 20 seconds a possession. Actually the whole Bulls team will be much much much much much much much better off. Enjoy Knicks. Hope he has a contract year explosion and gets a max deal from you. Good luck with that. :thumbup:

Free agent Mike Conley will meet with the Mavericks on July 1, according to ESPN's Chris Broussard.
Plenty of teams are interested in Conley, the summer's premier unrestricted FA point guard, and his meeting with Dallas doesn't imply that they have an advantage in signing him. The Grizzlies are expected to "aggressively recruit" him as their No. 1 priority during free agency, but may be balking at a five-year offer which only they can make. Memphis faces heavy competition from potential suitors like the Spurs and Bulls, in addition to the Mavs. Jun 30 - 12:19 AM

Source: Chris Broussard on Twitter
I actually like the move for the Knicks.  It gives them credibility and are now players in Durant sweepstakes albeit not likely. Moreover if Rose returns to form with KP developing and Melo they are formidable and will at least make playoffs exciting for starved fans.  Bulls on other hand look closer to rebuild than contender.  Jackson has been a calming influence on Knicks and at very least has prevented them from being the laughingstock of the league. 

Would be a real interesting fit with the Bulls.
There hasn't been much talk about the Bulls going after any of the big names and your quoted bit seems like speculation by Broussard.  Foreman is using the term "retooling" which I guess means a mini-rebuild.  

I must admit that makes sense.  Trade vets like Dunleavy and Gibson for younger talent or whatever picks they can get and then let the younger players get the minutes.  From the outside, the Bulls seem like a mess right now so they aren't an attractive place for free agents right now.  Hopefully this season Butler takes another step forward without Rose, the younger players show some promise, and Hoiberg proves himself to be an NBA caliber coach.  If so, there will be much more attractive in 2017 with cap space for 2 max players.  If not, they could probably still trade Butler for an early pick and go full rebuild. 

The quick and dirty explanation- our resident capologist @Sammy3469 can correct me if/when I'm wrong-- is that when people speak about cap space that generally includes cap hold figures on players to whom they hold any sort of preferential rights (RFAs, rookie scale guys, etc.) until they renounce those rights.  So if they want to clear space they just have to renounce those rights. 

The quick and dirty explanation- our resident capologist @Sammy3469 can correct me if/when I'm wrong-- is that when people speak about cap space that generally includes cap hold figures on players to whom they hold any sort of preferential rights (RFAs, rookie scale guys, etc.) until they renounce those rights.  So if they want to clear space they just have to renounce those rights. 
To make a run at one of the max-level free agents they would have to dump Bogut (with a 2019 first rounder or Kevon Looney?). According to RealGM, they would have a little more than $19mil if they renounce everybody (about $30mil if they dump Bogut). I assume that is with cap holds for the remaining empty roster spots. If they did that, they would be stuck with the cap room exception (a little less than $3mil), the bi-annual (a little more than $2mil), and minimum salary contracts to fill out the roster. hey also have a $5.4mil and $3.2mil trade exceptions from David Lee and Gerald Wallace that expire at the end of July.

Personally, I think they would be better off using their cap room to fill out their roster on short deals and keep Bogut for one more year.

Correct.  I have no idea where the 17 million comes from, but all these GSW permutations depend them renouncing all their FAs and then moving one of Bogut or Iggy (most likely Bogut).  So their core would be Green, Durant, Iggy, Thompson, Curry with Livingston and parts off the bench.

In reality this is really just a Barnes and Ezeli for Durant from 2017-on trade since those two will end up making as much as Durant.  You do that trade 100 times out of 100.   

As an aside, as a purely basketball fan, I hope this happens just to see what the hell they run and how many points they can put on the board.  

I actually like the move for the Knicks.  It gives them credibility and are now players in Durant sweepstakes albeit not likely. Moreover if Rose returns to form with KP developing and Melo they are formidable and will at least make playoffs exciting for starved fans.  Bulls on other hand look closer to rebuild than contender.  Jackson has been a calming influence on Knicks and at very least has prevented them from being the laughingstock of the league. 
Yeah...I don't hate it.  He's an NYC guy etc.

I did throw up in my mouth a little when I heard what Galloway is going to get as a restricted FA (4 years 60 million...basically 5.5-6 million the first two years and 18-19 million the last two)...and he's not the only RFA that's getting this deal (Clarkson, T Johnson, etc.).  

So I'm expecting the Banana Boat to get the MLE soon from some team, you know, for recruiting purposes.

Thunder shopping Kanter and Singler to clear space for Horford, per ESPN. 

hey also have a $5.4mil and $3.2mil trade exceptions from David Lee and Gerald Wallace that expire at the end of July.
They can only use those as long as they are over the salary cap (using holds).  Once they renounce to sign Durant, they lose those.

Thunder shopping Kanter and Singler to clear space for Horford, per ESPN. 
The plot thickens...very interesting...that seems like a risky move by Horford...I say that because I don't see Westbrook staying in Oklahoma...that being said I can't see Horford going there unless he has assurances that Durant and Westbrook are in it for the long haul...

The plot thickens...very interesting...that seems like a risky move by Horford...I say that because I don't see Westbrook staying in Oklahoma...that being said I can't see Horford going there unless he has assurances that Durant and Westbrook are in it for the long haul...
Aside from signing with GSW, next year with OKC would probably be his best chance at a ring, though, no?  Assuming that is important to him.

So this ends up being essentially an Ibaka, Kanter, Waiters for Oladipo, Horford and Sabonis deal, correct?  I guess it's a little better, but I could be convinced the other way as well.    

So this ends up being essentially an Ibaka, Kanter, Waiters for Oladipo, Horford and Sabonis deal, correct?  I guess it's a little better, but I could be convinced the other way as well.    
I feel like Horford would be a step up on offense, but a step back on defense from Ibaka.  Curious to see how Sabonis pans out, but I was impressed with him in the NCAA tourney.  Oladipo is another good defender without taking away shots from Durant & Westbook.  I personally like it for OKC and would love to see them land Horford.

Aside from signing with GSW, next year with OKC would probably be his best chance at a ring, though, no?  Assuming that is important to him.
If Durant stays than for next year it definitely puts him in a great position to win a ring...but if Durant and Westbrook leave the following year he'll be looking at about four years of non-contending unless he is willing to sign a one year deal...

If Durant stays than for next year it definitely puts him in a great position to win a ring...but if Durant and Westbrook leave the following year he'll be looking at about four years of non-contending unless he is willing to sign a one year deal...
Right, but if he stays with ATL, he is not going to win a ring ever.

Where else can he go to give him better odds to win a championship over the life of his contract?

What's the best site these days for salary cap info including cap holds and options?  I noticed Yahoo has good, updated info although it's not the most user friendly layout.  Here's a link for the Bulls, for example.

Right, but if he stays with ATL, he is not going to win a ring ever.

Where else can he go to give him better odds to win a championship over the life of his contract?
The issue with OKC is is it a one year window...if Durant and Westbrook stay than that's a great situation...I would assume assume Golden State could be an option if Durant doesn't go there...I think he could help the Celtics as he could be the Ray Allen piece that helps get the next Garnett...the Celts can add him and still have all their assets so they would be in a position to overpay for someone else...not sure if the Spurs are an option...

Are we sure that Horford is a good fit as a starting PF? He's been almost strictly a center his whole career, until last year he didn't shoot threes, and he's not getting any quicker to chase around stretch 4s.

Are we sure that Horford is a good fit as a starting PF? He's been almost strictly a center his whole career, until last year he didn't shoot threes, and he's not getting any quicker to chase around stretch 4s.
Probably not, but I'm guessing he'd still play about half his minutes at center, with Sabonis and Ilyasova (assuming they can afford to pick up that option in this scenario) coming in at the 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread