What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Preseason Game Observations (1 Viewer)

Ilov80s said:
The Rams and Eagles are idiots for trading away so much to get Goff and Wentz when Dak was available in the 4th. Dak looks like he is ready to start from week 1. QB of the future for Dallas. 

Also, Dez is back. Physically dominant, taking jumpballs away from corners and toe tapping on the sidelines. Draft him in the 1st round with confidence. 
29 other teams (besides LA, PHI and DAL) could have taken Dak before where he went in the fourth. The DUI probably didn't help his stock. If you are the Rams or the Eagles, do you want the face of your franchise being a prospect coming off a DUI? The Cowboys have also had problems by taking on players with off-field questions (McClain, Gregory, Lawrence).

He looked good, but the Rams were missing half their secondary from last year. Most scouts concur it takes a few years to properly evaluate a draft. Hard to draw categorical conclusions about how careers will unfold over the next decade based on a single preseason game. If Goff and Wentz become future Pro Bowlers, and Dak is never more than a back up, they won't look like bad moves. Lots of players have done well in single games in the pre or even regular season, and didn't exactly make it to Canton.

How often do fourth round QBs become stars? Would it make sense for a team to count on that happening (forego plans of acquiring one of the consensus top two QBs, and roll the dice with a mid-round prospect instead)?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if Abdullah got some looks in the pre-season?  I'm watching the re-run of the Steelers Lions game and there's a lot of Zenner

29 other teams (besides LA, PHI and DAL) could have taken Dak before where he went in the fourth. The DUI probably didn't help his stock. If you are the Rams or the Eagles, do you want the face of your franchise being a prospect coming off a DUI? The Cowboys have also had problems by taking on players with off-field questions (McClain, Gregory, Lawrence).

He looked good, but the Rams were missing half their secondary from last year. Most scouts concur it takes a few years to properly evaluate a draft. Hard to draw categorical conclusions about how careers will unfold over the next decade based on a single preseason game. If Goff and Wentz become future Pro Bowlers, and Dak is never more than a back up, they won't look like bad moves. Lots of players have done well in single games in the pre or even regular season, and didn't exactly make it to Canton.

How often do fourth round QBs become stars? Would it make sense for a team to count on that happening (forego plans of acquiring one of the consensus top two QBs, and roll the dice with a mid-round prospect instead)?  
Obviously I am overreacting. My point is more that the Eagles and Rams gave up so much to get these guys. If they turn into the next Mannings then it will be worth it. If they turn into Matt Stafford or Matt Ryan, will it be worth it then? I am not sure. Obviously anything less and it's the type of failure that can set an already bad team back half a decade. The success rate of QBs dratfed in the first round is <50% at best. Even when looking at QBs taken in the first few picks, the chances are still only about 50% that the player ever wins a playoff game or posts a winning record as a starter. I have no issue investing high draft capital on a QB because the 50% success rate isn't much different from other positions and the impact of hitting on a QB is massive. I do have an issue trading away a bunch of other picks to get into position to tae  QB at 1 or 2. Especially Wentz who has to have one of the weakest college resumes of any QB drafted inside the first 2 or 3 rounds in recent history. Dak might be good or might be trash, but is he really such a worse prospect than Goff or Wentz? Sure the DUI was bad, but other than that are his physical, mental, social/emotional abilities and college resume so different from Wentz and Goff that we see this insane price difference between them?

Here the 2015 leaders in passer rating  and what their team paid to get them:  75th pick, 35th pick, traded 6th rd pick, 199th pick, 102nd pick, FA , 180th pick, 1st pick, 1st pick, traded 2nd rd and 4th rd pick. 

Obviously that is just 1 year and a small sample size. There is no doubt when you look at long term success, the guys we mostly think of were drafted in the first 2 rounds (Mannings, Rivers, Ben, Rodgers, Brees, Cam).  At the same time, the guys we really think of as busts who robbed their franchise of years of success were also being drafted really high (Couch, Russell, Carr, Harrington, Leaf). 

Anyone know if Abdullah got some looks in the pre-season?  I'm watching the re-run of the Steelers Lions game and there's a lot of Zenner
Nope, he wasn't dressed. He is still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. I think he is fine and it's all precautionary. I would expect him to play this week. 

Mannion to Spruce...... $$

Mannion with a bit of time is a very good pocket passer.........Spruce is just a good football player.

Sarlakticacid said:
Yeah can't tell if the Titans Oline is blowing open massive holes coz they are good or if SD D just blows
The Titans played their 1st string OL for the entire first half. Meanwhile, 3 DL who are likely to be in the Chargers' top 6 didn't play at all, and the Chargers' 1st string defense only played a few snaps. The performance by those who played was awful, but it isn't necessarily representative of how good the Chargers will be defensively this season.

Especially Wentz who has to have one of the weakest college resumes of any QB drafted inside the first 2 or 3 rounds in recent history. Dak might be good or might be trash, but is he really such a worse prospect than Goff or Wentz? Sure the DUI was bad, but other than that are his physical, mental, social/emotional abilities and college resume so different from Wentz and Goff that we see this insane price difference between them?
I think almost every scout has said yes. PFF said to avoid Prescott and tabbed him as a 3rd day pick. Most places put him in the 3rd-5th. The success rate of late QBs is terrible. I think it's more likely Wentz was overvalued because of his size/intelligence despite the resume than it is that Dak was undervalued because of the DUI or anything else. Dak was a flawed prospect going in. Wentz's main flaw was experience, or so they thought.

The Titans played their 1st string OL for the entire first half. Meanwhile, 3 DL who are likely to be in the Chargers' top 6 didn't play at all, and the Chargers' 1st string defense only played a few snaps. The performance by those who played was awful, but it isn't necessarily representative of how good the Chargers will be defensively this season.
Which is an indication that the coaches know they still have a lot of work to do. 

I think almost every scout has said yes. PFF said to avoid Prescott and tabbed him as a 3rd day pick. Most places put him in the 3rd-5th. The success rate of late QBs is terrible. I think it's more likely Wentz was overvalued because of his size/intelligence despite the resume than it is that Dak was undervalued because of the DUI or anything else. Dak was a flawed prospect going in. Wentz's main flaw was experience, or so they thought.
That's interesting....the idea of Dak being a flawed prospect. 

He played four years in a decent conference, played four years and had good numbers, ratings, percentages, accuracy etc....so I'm curious as to what point it turned. IIRC he was a Heisman candidate in 2014. So, "IF" everything I mentioned is true why could he not be successful. I remember Dak at one point being peg as a top ten candidate before we ever heard of Wentz!

Am I crazy???

Tex

Nope.....I'm not crazy!

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2015/11/10/dak-prescott-compares-other-sec-heisman-contenders/75513544/

Obviously I am overreacting. My point is more that the Eagles and Rams gave up so much to get these guys. If they turn into the next Mannings then it will be worth it. If they turn into Matt Stafford or Matt Ryan, will it be worth it then? I am not sure. Obviously anything less and it's the type of failure that can set an already bad team back half a decade. The success rate of QBs dratfed in the first round is <50% at best. Even when looking at QBs taken in the first few picks, the chances are still only about 50% that the player ever wins a playoff game or posts a winning record as a starter. I have no issue investing high draft capital on a QB because the 50% success rate isn't much different from other positions and the impact of hitting on a QB is massive. I do have an issue trading away a bunch of other picks to get into position to tae  QB at 1 or 2. Especially Wentz who has to have one of the weakest college resumes of any QB drafted inside the first 2 or 3 rounds in recent history. Dak might be good or might be trash, but is he really such a worse prospect than Goff or Wentz? Sure the DUI was bad, but other than that are his physical, mental, social/emotional abilities and college resume so different from Wentz and Goff that we see this insane price difference between them?

Here the 2015 leaders in passer rating  and what their team paid to get them:  75th pick, 35th pick, traded 6th rd pick, 199th pick, 102nd pick, FA , 180th pick, 1st pick, 1st pick, traded 2nd rd and 4th rd pick. 

Obviously that is just 1 year and a small sample size. There is no doubt when you look at long term success, the guys we mostly think of were drafted in the first 2 rounds (Mannings, Rivers, Ben, Rodgers, Brees, Cam).  At the same time, the guys we really think of as busts who robbed their franchise of years of success were also being drafted really high (Couch, Russell, Carr, Harrington, Leaf). 

Wow. That's a lot of conclusions to jump to after just 1 preseason game. 

So so how is a team supposed to know that it has drafted the next Manning unless they draft the guy and then develop them?  Even teams drafting Stafford or Ryan don't have to burn 1st or 2nd day drat picks on QBs for a decade and a half - unless the league screws up and lets the wrong player fall too far (like Rodgers).

Yep, and don't buy into FBG email take on Wentz' preseason game. A couple of his passes were a little high, but they were all catchable. His stat line got victimized by a couple of drops.More importantly, he was super aware in the pocket, was terrific at escaping pressure, and kept his eyes downfield while doing so...able to complete the pass or throw it away. He didn't look like an inexperienced rookie in his first preseason game. It was not a shaky debut IMO.

Wow. That's a lot of conclusions to jump to after just 1 preseason game. 

So so how is a team supposed to know that it has drafted the next Manning unless they draft the guy and then develop them?  Even teams drafting Stafford or Ryan don't have to burn 1st or 2nd day drat picks on QBs for a decade and a half - unless the league screws up and lets the wrong player fall too far (like Rodgers).
It's not a big conclusion to say the hit rate on 1st round QBs isn't good enough to trade away as much as the Rams and Eagles did. It has little to do with Goff or Wentz as individuals. Ofcourse you can't know who is a good QB without drafting and taking the risk. I just don't think it's worth forcing it and trading so much to move up. A first, second and third basically. All likeky to be very high picks. There is a real chance that 1st pick next year is also a top 2 pick. I get these guys are under pressure to win now, but I don't think it's in the best interest of the franchise.

Ilov80s said:
The Rams and Eagles are idiots for trading away so much to get Goff and Wentz when Dak was available in the 4th. Dak looks like he is ready to start from week 1. QB of the future for Dallas. 

Also, Dez is back. Physically dominant, taking jumpballs away from corners and toe tapping on the sidelines. Draft him in the 1st round with confidence. 
As a Dez owner I like me some Dak.  

Good news Hyde was targeted on 2 short check downs on the first drive. Bad news is Gabbert missed both throws badly. 

Good news Hyde just ripped off a nice 10-15 yard run. Bad news his next carry was a fumble returned for a TD. 

As a Texans fan, Brock looked bad but part of that was our O-line's fault; we are missing 3 starters. Bill O'brien said at halftime that we haven't opened the playbook yet  

Lamar Miller looks really good but Texans defense looks bad as well 

As a Texans fan, Brock looked bad but part of that was our O-line's fault; we are missing 3 starters. Bill O'brien said at halftime that we haven't opened the playbook yet  

Lamar Miller looks really good but Texans defense looks bad as well 
His release looked slower if that is possible.

If I was guaranteed Goff or Wentz would be as good as a young Stafford or Ryan in their prime (obviously not possible), I would make the trade. I'm not sure about the half decade setback part. It's not like Goff would go 0-16 five seasons in a row and at the end of the time they will pull the plug. It will be evident far sooner than that. If you mean in terms of draft capital cost, they didn't have a second and third this draft (LA), but if Higbee plays like a second rounder and Cooper like a third rounder (despite both being drafted in the fourth), than hard to see the trade being a death blow to their 2016 draft class. As to 2017 (again, LA), they give up a first and third, but with expected compensatory picks for Janoris Jenkins and Rodney McLeod, they could have a second, third and two fourths next year. Again, imo, far from a death blow to their draft prospects next year.

If they had been sitting at #1 or #2, they wouldn't have needed to trade up. That is what they needed to get the draft capital assured of drafting one of the top two QBs (clearly LA had a preference for Goff). Are you questioning Wentz's resume because of FCS level of competition? Was the same true of Roethlisberger? Flacco? I know they went a bit later, but you cited first 2 or 3 rounds. Who scouts NDSU? Do you? I don't. So of course he was going to suffer in the comparison as far as level of competition. Nonetheless, many scouts (such as Mayock and Jeremiah) were very high on him throughout the process of the Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Day and interviews. Much like when a 6'0" WR is graded top 10 overall, he should be expected to do as well as a 6'4" WR that is graded top 10, because the scouts are aware of the height discrepancy, IT IS BAKED IN TO THE GRADE, these same scouts were aware Wentz went to NDSU, IT WAS BAKED IN TO THE GRADE. Scouts did think Dak was not in the same ball park as Goff and Wentz, it really wasn't close. Maybe they will fail and he will be a star, anything could happen, we are just discussing how scouts saw things BEFORE the draft, and it wasn't close. Near universally, scouts were raving about Wentz's football smarts, there was a consensus that he separated himself from every other prospect. Goff and Wentz by all accounts also separated themselves at the combine, they just looked markedly and pronouncedly better than the competition. I thought at the time, Wentz reminded me of Carson Palmer in terms of his passing mechanics, and Roethlisberger and Flacco in terms of level of competition (look at who Miami, OH and Delaware play, not exactly Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon).  

One difference between us, I wouldn't be framing Dak in terms of, sure the DUI was bad, but... There is no but. It was very, very, very bad to do that right before the draft. The Cowboys have Romo, don't have to count on him, so good move for them on day three. But hard to see LA or PHI counting on that. And as noted earlier, DAL has had multiple picks/players recently that have been problematic due to off the field red flags.

Any time we want to look at QBs outside the top few rounds that succeeded at a high level, it is important to view it in terms of a PERCENTAGE basis. Warner and Romo were UFAs, but how many UFAs didn't succeed? Brady was a sixth rounder, how many sixth rounders didn't succeed? And so on. Your last point seems to be maybe they will be worth it, maybe not. I can't get from there, to LA and PHI are inherently, intrinsically idiots for trying to manufacture a QB from the 1.15 and 1.13 positions, respectively.  

Looping back for a moment, when you talked about being "set back" for a few years, compared to what? :)  If Goff doesn't pan out, are the Rams looking at not making the playoffs? Not having a QB? They already have been not making the playoffs for nearly a decade and a half. They already didn't have a QB, and would not be in a different place than they ALREADY WERE AT. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. They needed a QB, I applaud them taking a calculated risk. One last point, it is one thing to just cite odds and percentages in a vacuum. It may be worth noting that the Rams front office, coaching staff and scouting department has been on a roll lately. They picked Aaron Donald 1.13 in 2014, one of the best defensive players in the league, and Todd Gurley 1.10 in 2015, one of the best offensive players in the league. Based on that, I'm more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.     

It's not a big conclusion to say the hit rate on 1st round QBs isn't good enough to trade away as much as the Rams and Eagles did. It has little to do with Goff or Wentz as individuals. Ofcourse you can't know who is a good QB without drafting and taking the risk. I just don't think it's worth forcing it and trading so much to move up. A first, second and third basically. All likeky to be very high picks. There is a real chance that 1st pick next year is also a top 2 pick. I get these guys are under pressure to win now, but I don't think it's in the best interest of the franchise.
The bottom line is, if they both become franchise QBs, it becomes easier to make the case the trades were "worth it". BTW, your opinion that they both paid too much is imo more common, possibly even a consensus. I'm just making the distinction IT IS AN OPINION. IMO, it is premature and hasty to call it a bad trade, when that won't be known for years. Clearly, if they end up being worth it, they were good trades. You seem to want to bypass that process, jump right to the end before it has even played out, and declare they were bad trades without the evidence (in these cases).

Part of the disconnect seems to be that you think there is a real chance one of the firsts ends up being a #2 overall pick (which one - LA, PHI, both?). What do you think the odds of that are? Because imo they are fairly remote. Part of the very different way we are viewing these trades may stem in part from this. If LA and PHI finish in the 10-15 draft range, are you saying you would be more OK with the respective trades? Because imo that is a lot more likely than either or both finish in the top two overall range. :shrug:     

Honestly while it's risky based on lack of a track record (and a potentially better JAX defense), I don't have any issues with some one taking Robinson over all but the "big 3" WRs - and would it be shocking to see him crack the top 3?
I didn't see the 3 receptions the other night but I didn't need to to know he's capable of top 3. He did it all last year. It's just going to depend on the targets.

This is what I came away from after that game too.  Spruce was catching every ball and he couldnt be covered. 
Spruce went to our High School (Westlake, CA) and was just an unstoppable athlete.  Bummed to see he went undrafted but he's making the most of his shot for sure.  Great routes/hands.

Spruce reportedly out the next two weeks, but may have done enough in camp and against DAL to make the final 53.

Am I the only one who thought Goff looked impressive after his interception (where he was clearly left wide open)? I thought he was finding his rhythm and started threading it. His receivers had a couple drops that were on the money.

Am I the only one who thought Goff looked impressive after his interception (where he was clearly left wide open)? I thought he was finding his rhythm and started threading it. His receivers had a couple drops that were on the money.
At least three drops - Austin, Thomas and Cooper (last would have put the ball between 5-10 yard line?). He seems to have chemistry with Higbee, who will be a mismatch when split out. 

Are you questioning Wentz's resume because of FCS level of competition? Was the same true of Roethlisberger? Flacco? I know they went a bit later, but you cited first 2 or 3 rounds. Who scouts NDSU? Do you? I don't. So of course he was going to suffer in the comparison as far as level of competition. Nonetheless, many scouts (such as Mayock and Jeremiah) were very high on him throughout the process of the Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Day and interviews.
I can't speak for the poster but it seemed clear that he wasn't just questioning his resume because he was an FCS QB (as there have been others), but rather that for an FCS QB he wasn't as much of a standout as maybe he should have been.  If there is an NFL level QB playing in the FCS (much less on far and away the most dominant team in the FCS) he should probably be dominant.  But Wentz was good.  Not 500 yards and 5 TDs type good.  335 yard career high in passing good.  Career stats that are essentially the same as what Roethlisberger put up in his senior season alone on a much worse team during a time where passing numbers were lower.

Granted, his efficiency numbers were pretty good so maybe I'm being too hard on him here (I actually like Wentz as a prospect, just trying to bring more light onto the point that was being made here by someone else) but he was in a situation where it was pretty tough to do any less than "pretty good" and he didn't really exceed that by a whole lot.  Both the QB he replaced as the starter and the QB who replaced him when he was hurt put up similar stats to Wentz.

As far as all the scouting stuff like arm strength, etc, that tends to fall outside of college resume which is just one part of the overall prospect.

I think scouts were taking into account the offensive scheme, which was run oriented. In that sense, it wasn't "pretty tough to do any less than "pretty good"" in terms of prolific, volume passing stats, which seemed to be your point.

By this rationale, Keith Jackson didn't have a good collegiate TE resume because Oklahoma rarely passed at the time. Yet the scouts (also PHI, coincidentally) recognized his ability and drafted him #13 overall. I was aware other NDSU QBs put up comparable numbers.

* Put it this way. If Wentz played at Cal, and Goff for NDSU, do you think the former would have boosted his numbers, and the latter seen his diminish? If the answer is yes (in both cases), pretty sure scouts were capable of coming to the same conclusion. It is precisely for this reason, that the non/extra-resume factors, as you alluded to, were critically important in his OVERALL evaluation.     

Totally agree. I was wondering if they were going up against the bac ups

If I was guaranteed Goff or Wentz would be as good as a young Stafford or Ryan in their prime (obviously not possible), I would make the trade. I'm not sure about the half decade setback part. It's not like Goff would go 0-16 five seasons in a row and at the end of the time they will pull the plug. It will be evident far sooner than that. If you mean in terms of draft capital cost, they didn't have a second and third this draft (LA), but if Higbee plays like a second rounder and Cooper like a third rounder (despite both being drafted in the fourth), than hard to see the trade being a death blow to their 2016 draft class. As to 2017 (again, LA), they give up a first and third, but with expected compensatory picks for Janoris Jenkins and Rodney McLeod, they could have a second, third and two fourths next year. Again, imo, far from a death blow to their draft prospects next year. Making assumptions that Higbee or Cooper will play a round above their draft grade. Even if they do and they get compensatory picks, the Rams could have had all that plus the picks they gave away. It could have been a draft where they really get to reload their talent at multiple levels. 

If they had been sitting at #1 or #2, they wouldn't have needed to trade up. That is what they needed to get the draft capital assured of drafting one of the top two QBs (clearly LA had a preference for Goff). Are you questioning Wentz's resume because of FCS level of competition? Was the same true of Roethlisberger? Flacco? I know they went a bit later, but you cited first 2 or 3 rounds. Who scouts NDSU? Do you? I don't. So of course he was going to suffer in the comparison as far as level of competition. Nonetheless, many scouts (such as Mayock and Jeremiah) were very high on him throughout the process of the Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Day and interviews. Much like when a 6'0" WR is graded top 10 overall, he should be expected to do as well as a 6'4" WR that is graded top 10, because the scouts are aware of the height discrepancy, IT IS BAKED IN TO THE GRADE, these same scouts were aware Wentz went to NDSU, IT WAS BAKED IN TO THE GRADE. Scouts did think Dak was not in the same ball park as Goff and Wentz, it really wasn't close. Maybe they will fail and he will be a star, anything could happen, we are just discussing how scouts saw things BEFORE the draft, and it wasn't close. Near universally, scouts were raving about Wentz's football smarts, there was a consensus that he separated himself from every other prospect. Goff and Wentz by all accounts also separated themselves at the combine, they just looked markedly and pronouncedly better than the competition. I thought at the time, Wentz reminded me of Carson Palmer in terms of his passing mechanics, and Roethlisberger and Flacco in terms of level of competition (look at who Miami, OH and Delaware play, not exactly Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon).  Wentz was the second pick in the draft so whatever was baked into his QB evaluation didn't get baked into his draft slot. Ben played some bad teams at Miami, but he was also a 3 year starter who had strong performances against teams like Louisville (4 TDS 376 yards), Northwestern (3 TDs 353 yards), Iowa (343 and 3)  and wasn't too bad against Michigan considering it was at the Big House in his first ever start at age 19. Ben had over 1300 college pases thrown and started 38 games. Carson Wentz never played a team close to the Big Ten level of competition yet alone the MAC. He couldn't win the starting job at NDSU until his junior year at age 21 and has only thrown 612 passes. 

Looping back for a moment, when you talked about being "set back" for a few years, compared to what? :)  If Goff doesn't pan out, are the Rams looking at not making the playoffs? Not having a QB? They already have been not making the playoffs for nearly a decade and a half. They already didn't have a QB, and would not be in a different place than they ALREADY WERE AT. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. They needed a QB, I applaud them taking a calculated risk. One last point, it is one thing to just cite odds and percentages in a vacuum. It may be worth noting that the Rams front office, coaching staff and scouting department has been on a roll lately. They picked Aaron Donald 1.13 in 2014, one of the best defensive players in the league, and Todd Gurley 1.10 in 2015, one of the best offensive players in the league. Based on that, I'm more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.     

I understand, but we are talking about the next 3 years, not the past 3 years. They have made good picks with Gurley and Donald. Austin not so much. So the next 3  years are the window of the prime that they will have AD and Gurley locked up at reasonable prices. Hopefully Goff can develop quickly because the Rams (short of any wide receivers) have a ready to win now team. 

The bottom line is, if they both become franchise QBs, it becomes easier to make the case the trades were "worth it". BTW, your opinion that they both paid too much is imo more common, possibly even a consensus. I'm just making the distinction IT IS AN OPINION. IMO, it is premature and hasty to call it a bad trade, when that won't be known for years. Clearly, if they end up being worth it, they were good trades. You seem to want to bypass that process, jump right to the end before it has even played out, and declare they were bad trades without the evidence (in these cases). Just because you hit on 16 and get a 4, doesn't mean hitting was the right move. It can mean you got lucky. I know it's not quite as simple as that since this involves evaluations of individuals in a more complex system. Still, when teams are drafting these massive busts with top picks, they are usually doing it with supreme confidence that they just landed a future pro bowler. 

Part of the disconnect seems to be that you think there is a real chance one of the firsts ends up being a #2 overall pick (which one - LA, PHI, both?). What do you think the odds of that are? Because imo they are fairly remote. Part of the very different way we are viewing these trades may stem in part from this. If LA and PHI finish in the 10-15 draft range, are you saying you would be more OK with the respective trades? Because imo that is a lot more likely than either or both finish in the top two overall range. :shrug:     With Philly, the odds are obviously much higher than the Rams. Philly is bad everywhere. The Rams have a good defense. 

1) Assumptions are relative. You made assumptions the trade was idiotic after one exhibition game (or even more hastily and prematurely), focusing on the trade compensation with no idea how Goff and Wentz will develop. Also that a prospect with a dunderheaded pre-draft DUI will show better judgement in the future. Again, the Rams ALREADY had a lot of picks (remember WAS), and reloaded. And reloaded. And reloaded. They are just spinning their wheels without a QB. You can make at least as strong a case LA needs a QB a lot more than they need whoever they would have gotten in the second and third rounds this year (a lot of problems are easily surmounted with a QB, and can be insurmountable without). If LA (and PHI) don't finish in the bottom two in 2017, and I think you'll find you are an extreme outlier in having this concern, same with a non-top 10 pick in the first next year (and third - which factoring in time delay, are worth a second and fourth THIS year). 

2) Scouting knowledge of everything you mentioned WAS BAKED INTO HIS HIGH GRADE. They know where he went to school. That his predecessor won three national championships. That it was a run first offense (was Keith Jackson a bad TE pick because Oklahoma didn't run a lot?). Did Ben play in as conservative of a scheme? If not, wouldn't you EXPECT him to put up bigger numbers? You mentioned less than a handful of games in three years, so 1-2 per year?

Ben - Mid-American Conference: Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Ohio, Northern Illinois, The State University of New York at Buffalo, University of Toledo and Western Michigan     

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-American_Conference

Flacco - Colonial Athletic Association: Charleston, Drexel, Elon, Hofstra, James Madison, Northeastern, Towson, North Carolina at Wilmington and William and Mary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Athletic_Association

3) The point I was making is the Rams are on a roll drafting. They drafted two of the best players in the NFL in the past two drafts before this one (Donald and Gurley). I am more prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt on that basis. Austin has struggled, but has also had to work with a carousel of UFA QBs like Hill, Davis and Keenum and journeymen Clemens and Foles at roughly half season intervals. Sub-optimal for timing, chemistry, rapport. He is coming off a career high 10 TD season and could have upside if Goff is a franchise QB which some scouts (Mayock, et al) think he is capable of becoming. Since you brought up salary, if Goff (and Wentz) hits, that represents a huge advantage having him at a cost-controlled salary for next 4-5 seasons, which gives them a lot of salary cap flexibility at other positions.

4) This is a poor analogy, imo. You may know how many cards are at stake, but not their value and how much they will ultimately be worth. None of this is very controversial. It is a scouting platitude to give a draft a few years before judging it. Right? Not after the first exhibition game. You can also get unlucky by holding picks, it isn't a magical panacea that always works out either. CLE could have Julio Jones and Sammy Watkins at WR. What do they have to show for all that draft bounty? Sometimes trades don't work out, sometimes they do (Jones, Eli Manning). Blackjack is also an imperfect analogy in that cards have inherently more randomness (though admittedly you can track how many face cards have turned up from a five (?) deck chute. Goff has a career 56/1 TD/INT ratio in the red zone. What card does that represent? Does that stat signify something deeper behind it, and represent highly translatable NFL skills such as the ability to make quick decisions, throw accurately, etc.? Football Outsiders QBASE comps (superior for Goff), what card does that represent?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/qbase-2016

5) Again, what do you think the odds are PHI finishes with one of the two worst records in the league? And given that you think LA's odds are much lower (by your own admission), than that somewhat softens the criticism that "There is a real chance that 1st pick next year is also a top 2 pick." How real is it in the case of the Rams?        

A couple take aways from the Lions. Rookie LT Taylor Decker is a turnstyle in pass pro vs. edge rushers right now. Stafford may be a very risky starter in FF. 

Little known rookie  7th rd. RB pick Dwayne Washington made a huge stride in making this team with an electrifying return. As I watched it I initially said "He's fast", then he saw the opening and he went top gear and my eyes popped out of my head.  :shock:   He may never be a starting tailback in this league but if he can catch the ball, PPR dynasty leaguers should keep him on the back, back, back burner. I think it also bumps up Detroit DST as a streamer.

http://m.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/HIGHLIGHT-Dwayne-Washington-takes-it-to-the-house/2a1559da-8a1b-483f-a2c6-0a84b1009cf4

1) Assumptions are relative. You made assumptions the trade was idiotic after one exhibition game (or even more hastily and prematurely),         
I think maybe you're making a little more out if this than it was. I read it as a little tongue in cheek to be honest - and sure, yes there's always a little reality in every joke.

A couple take aways from the Lions. Rookie LT Taylor Decker is a turnstyle in pass pro vs. edge rushers right now. Stafford may be a very risky starter in FF. 

Little known rookie  7th rd. RB pick Dwayne Washington made a huge stride in making this team with an electrifying return. As I watched it I initially said "He's fast", then he saw the opening and he went top gear and my eyes popped out of my head.  :shock:   He may never be a starting tailback in this league but if he can catch the ball, PPR dynasty leaguers should keep him on the back, back, back burner. I think it also bumps up Detroit DST as a streamer.

http://m.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/HIGHLIGHT-Dwayne-Washington-takes-it-to-the-house/2a1559da-8a1b-483f-a2c6-0a84b1009cf4
Washington is competing against Zenner, Winn & Ridley for two roster spot (AA & Theo are locks.) Neither of the top two tailbacks can run effectively inside. If you had to make the call today, ZZ looked a lot better than Ridley or Winn even though his line was only 7-24. I think he makes the team again.

On the 53 man they'll probably keep four RBs besides the FB (Burton.) Stevan hasn't been legit since 2012 due to fumbling & injuries. But I expect them to keep him because they want him to succeed as the short yardage & GL specialist.

Users who are viewing this thread