What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Year-end Song Draft - Playlist in post #1 (1 Viewer)

15.ee - Steve Earle and the Dukes - Highway Butterfly

The best tribute album of the year was Highway Butterfly: The Songs of Neal Casal, a 3+ hour marathon of covers of the late songwriter's songs.

The versions were kind of up and down as tributes usually are but I wasn't familiar with Casal's work except as a sideman for Ryan Adams and Chris Robinson.

Rd 9: Dijon - Talk Down

Rd 10: Kali Uchis ft SZA - Fue Mejor

As with the 1st half of 2021 draft, I'll stop at 10.  Haven't had time yet to listen to the playlist, but am definitely looking forward to it. Thanks all for sharing your picks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I figure I'm done at fourteen. I think adding to the list would be more a product of forced research than any sort of stuff that has washed over me this year. Peace, guys, looking forward to the listening. The few songs I've heard have all been great. I hope my game was remotely as good as all of yours. 

By the way, can somebody add Mandy, Indiana's "Bottle Service," "Scatter Brain" by Conway The Machine, and McKinley Dixon's "Bless The Child" to the playlist? 

If one of you all could do that, I'd be so appreciative. I can't figure out how for the life of me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, can somebody add Mandy, Indiana's "Bottle Service," "Scatter Brain" by Conway The Machine, and McKinley Dixon's "Bless This Child" to the playlist? 

If one of you all could do that, I'd be so appreciative. I can't figure out how for the life of me. 

Added. These two, London Grammar and "Hush" by the Marias were missed when we flipped pages.

Added. These two, London Grammar and "Hush" by the Marias were missed when we flipped pages.
Thanks, Eephus. Always weird to ask that your own be added, but I'll stomach the embarrassment of self-promotion. Heard some good stuff this hour.  

17. Squistion - Daði Freyr (and Gagnamagnið) - 10 Years - 2021 Eurovision Song Contest entry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORDK1XQToAY

Dadi Freyr was the artist representing Iceland and was favored to win the 2020 Eurovision song contest, but the contest was cancelled due to COVID. This was he and his bands 2021 entry (where they finished 3rd or 4th).

17.ee - Altın Gün - Yüce Dağ Başında

Ah, gece gelme, gündüz gel
Tenhalarda, menhalarda
Buluşalım vay, vay, görüşelim vay, vay
Ah, gece gelme, gündüz gel
Tenhalarda, menhalarda
Buluşalım vay, vay, görüşelim vay, vay

My apologies for running behind, but I've still got some songs to contribute.  I've also had a chance to shuffle the playlist for a few hours the past couple of days and she's looking like another good one.  I appreciate you all expanding my musical horizons.  I'm fairly confident the majority of these selections were presented to me via the mid-year draft (my apologies for not citing the original drafters).

SCS 15AM
Ceiling Granny - Mogwai

SCS 16PM
Drink it on Down - Beyond the Lamplight
"Bam!  Crash!  #######g let's get trashed!"  I relish the eager succinctness.

SCS 17AM
White Shadow - The Bronx

SCS 18PM
##### Euphemism - NOFX

I'm going to press on and provide my Friday picks in advance since I'll likely indulge in many whiskies tomorrow evening.

SCS 19AM
You're a Witch - Harley Poe

SCS 20PM
Down - St. Vincent

I've probably got another half-dozen songs I could nominate should anyone else indulge in more than a score of selections.

J

SCS 1AM
Good 4 U - Olivia Rodrigo
SCS 2PM
Leave the Door Open - Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak & Silk Sonic
SCS 3AM
Durand Jones & the Indications - Witchoo
SCS 4PM
Hot & Heavy - Lucy Dacus
SCS 5AM
Typhoons - Royal Blood
SCS 6PM
.AmericanBlood. - Dead Poet Society
SCS 7AM
Cloudy Day - Tones and I
SCS 8PM
Another Last Time - Dirty Honey
SCS 9AM
Freedom - Jon Batiste
SCS 10PM
Shakin' Off the Rust - The Blue StonesSCS 11AM
Hope in Hell - Black Pistol Fire
SCS 12PM
Greta Van Fleet - Built By Nations
SCS 13AM
Midnight Morning - The Menahan Street Band
SCS 14PM
Hole In One - Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio

Need some more CanCon. This is in the Tokyo Police Club, Sloan, Arkells, etc vein of poppy rock that still gets radio play in Canada and nowhere else. 

19.NV - Honey Lungs - Said the Whale

I almost took something from this album a few times.

A big fan of this band.  I don't enjoy this new album as much as their first 2 but they were both my #1 AOTY the years they were released ('17 and '18, I think).  This one is still quite good.

Their 2021 album was recorded in 2018-19. 

The new stuff is even more synthy and atmospheric.  They released a 9 minute single called "Florida" late last year that I definitely would have drafted if it was 6 min.

"Unpleasant Breakfast" was taken in the mid year draft and "Family Farm" in this one, but neither is my first (or second choice) from the band in my avatar this year.

Hadn't really seen her since the previous winter
She'd been a drop dead number since later last December
But here she is rising again
Happy Easter
You wanna go get some beers?

------

We're at the table and she's yelling out her order
Vanilla vodka in a Diet Dr. Pepper
Something wrapped in a black wax paper
We're gonna see where this goes

-----

She makes it really clear that she's a way different person
Than the person that I knew in the past
But once she starts rolling it's wild like the ocean
And the ocean is violent and vast

Bonus.NV - Spices - The Hold Steady

(my 1B would have been "Heavy Covenant")

Twenty songs feels about right ...

19. Stop Making Stupid People Famous - Our Lady Peace, P###y Riot

I've got the feeling we were dreaming when the panic attacked
And we keep making stupid people famous now we're paying for that

20. Take Your Time - Sarah and the Sundays

Hold on
You’re on fire
You’re no cheat but you might be a liar

It's been fun, thanks for setting this up @Eephus
#19 is an interesting collaboration between Canadian Alt rockers OLP and Russian band ##### Riot.  I think the best thing that happened to OLP vocalist Raine Maida was meeting his wife (solo artist Chantal Kreviazuk). She convinced him to expand beyond his usual nasal vocal style. 
I didn’t realize OLP was still recording. I have only seen Maida and Kreviazuk recording/performing together lately.

Nice surprise here, Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread