What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread, Presented by YouTubeTV (3 Viewers)

Yes, those are career numbers. If you take only Klay's "prime" before he got hurt, it's 18.7 pp36 while shooting 41% from three and .560 TS%. With regards to Allen, I would say that his role in Boston was much more similar to MPJ's than his time in Milwaukee or Seattle, so if you just isolate his time in Boston, it's 14.7 pp36 with 39% from three and .574 TS%. His usage was up in his younger years as he was on ball much more often, but otherwise, he was pretty steady across his career.

If you want to compare MPJ with Wallace and Wiggins, I guess that's fine, but I think they failed to live up to their potential for very different reasons than MPJ. Porter is still playing with drop foot in one of his legs because of nerve damage to his three back surgeries. I posted a video a couple weeks back of some of his high school highlights - he wasn't a nuclear athlete like Lebron or something, but he was closer to that second tier of NBA athletes before he got hurt. By all accounts, he is a good teammate that works very hard. He's not a headcase like Wallace or a guy that has completely rested on his talent like Wiggins. He will never be what he was supposed to be before going to Mizzu but that doesn't mean he isn't a good player or has some sort of moral failing to reach that level.

They aren't perfect comparisons because there never is one, but Denver has a window and needs a change, and it should be him.
I'm not necessarily opposed to trading him, especially if they aren't going to work to get him more involved in the offense. I think from the general sentiment here, you can see that a trade won't be easy to find a suiter that can also help either make the team better or maintain the level while making the team cheaper. Denver can include their 2024 pick with their 2031 pick (technically two years after their 2029 conveys to OKC... so it could be no pick at all), and swaps in between (kinda, all their picks have protections, so the language would be weird), with some straggling 2nd rounders. What would be a deal that you would look at for Porter?

I would take a chance on him if I was the Pistons, but they are stupid so that won't happen. Fontecchio and Stewart should be around 25 to 30 million in pay roll. That gives Denver room to get under the 2nd apron and bring in someone. Stewart would be decent off the bench to give Jokic and Gordon rest. Fontecchio would be the shooter to space the floor.
You think Fontecchio and Stewart would be an improvement on MPJ?

If Denver wants to win another title then someone has to go,
They will likely go into next year being one the top 5 favorites to win a title. I don't think they necessarily need to do anything drastic
agreed. playoff over-reaction is in high gear right now.

There is a reason why we haven't had back to back chanps in 6 years in a sport that has been dominated by dynasties throughout its existence.

I don't think it is an overreaction. It is the way things are trending and teams need to adapt.

They will likely go into next year being one the top 5 favorites to win a title. I don't think they necessarily need to do anything drastic

I don't follow their cap situation, but if Kev says is correct they are against the second apron and can't really do anything. I don't think running it back will work.
Sure it will. They can just draft someone in the first, sign a couple of minimum guys, and still go into next season as one of the title favorites.

I understand that, but I don't think that rookie will have a large impact.

Yes, those are career numbers. If you take only Klay's "prime" before he got hurt, it's 18.7 pp36 while shooting 41% from three and .560 TS%. With regards to Allen, I would say that his role in Boston was much more similar to MPJ's than his time in Milwaukee or Seattle, so if you just isolate his time in Boston, it's 14.7 pp36 with 39% from three and .574 TS%. His usage was up in his younger years as he was on ball much more often, but otherwise, he was pretty steady across his career.

If you want to compare MPJ with Wallace and Wiggins, I guess that's fine, but I think they failed to live up to their potential for very different reasons than MPJ. Porter is still playing with drop foot in one of his legs because of nerve damage to his three back surgeries. I posted a video a couple weeks back of some of his high school highlights - he wasn't a nuclear athlete like Lebron or something, but he was closer to that second tier of NBA athletes before he got hurt. By all accounts, he is a good teammate that works very hard. He's not a headcase like Wallace or a guy that has completely rested on his talent like Wiggins. He will never be what he was supposed to be before going to Mizzu but that doesn't mean he isn't a good player or has some sort of moral failing to reach that level.

They aren't perfect comparisons because there never is one, but Denver has a window and needs a change, and it should be him.
I'm not necessarily opposed to trading him, especially if they aren't going to work to get him more involved in the offense. I think from the general sentiment here, you can see that a trade won't be easy to find a suiter that can also help either make the team better or maintain the level while making the team cheaper. Denver can include their 2024 pick with their 2031 pick (technically two years after their 2029 conveys to OKC... so it could be no pick at all), and swaps in between (kinda, all their picks have protections, so the language would be weird), with some straggling 2nd rounders. What would be a deal that you would look at for Porter?

I would take a chance on him if I was the Pistons, but they are stupid so that won't happen. Fontecchio and Stewart should be around 25 to 30 million in pay roll. That gives Denver room to get under the 2nd apron and bring in someone. Stewart would be decent off the bench to give Jokic and Gordon rest. Fontecchio would be the shooter to space the floor.

Player to player. No, but team depth, having the MLE to use, and sometimes you need a shake up.

No guarantee it works, the Bucks tried it with Lillard this year and it failed. The Raptors did it with Kawhi and boom.

And while the bench was clearly a problem, the biggest reason they struggled this playoffs was because Murray clearly was way less than healthy (which is a theme of his career). If he starts the post season as healthy as last post season, they beat the Wolves. Other than KCP, the entire team is either pre-prime (all the young bench dudes) or in their prime (every starter other than KCP).

In 24-25, I think the Nuggets will have the third best odds to win the title behind Boston and whichever team makes it out of the west this postseason. If somebody makes a big trade or signing (Philly, OKC, Miami) they may hop over them as well.

Probably, but odds are just odds. I would make the move on MPJ. I have been wrong before though.

I don't follow their cap situation, but if Kev says is correct they are against the second apron and can't really do anything. I don't think running it back will work.
Sure it will. They can just draft someone in the first, sign a couple of minimum guys, and still go into next season as one of the title favorites.
I don't think they'll make a big move, but I do think they will be shopping Nnaji and/or Reggie Jackson (not sure how that works with the 2nd apron in the offseason) with their 1st rounder for an upgrade.

I don't think they'll make a big move, but I do think they will be shopping Nnaji and/or Reggie Jackson (not sure how that works with the 2nd apron in the offseason) with their 1st rounder for an upgrade.

I only bring up the Pistons because I know their roster.

Do you think the Nuggets would be better if they trades MPJ and got back through the trade and the MLE another guard that could help spell Murray, an third big to help Gordon and Jokic, and then a shooter that starts in place of MPJ?

Player to player. No, but team depth, having the MLE to use, and sometimes you need a shake up.

No guarantee it works, the Bucks tried it with Lillard this year and it failed. The Raptors did it with Kawhi and boom.
There is a big difference between trading a very good starting player for two rotation players and trading starters for stars. I like Fontecchio and Stewart as spot starters or 7th men, but that is an immediate downgrade to what has been the best starting unit in the NBA over the last two years.

I, uh, would not be anticipating a big return on that package.

There is a big difference between trading a very good starting player for two rotation players and trading starters for stars. I like Fontecchio and Stewart as spot starters or 7th men, but that is an immediate downgrade to what has been the best starting unit in the NBA over the last two years.

I agree, but depth was a huge problem for the Nuggets this year and I see this as a way to fix that. Plus MPJ isn't going to get healthier. We have a very close family friend that has drop foot and I know they aren't pro athletes or even get the sane medical treatment as them, but it is a very serious condition and could be a permanent problem.

Do you think the Nuggets would be better if they trades MPJ and got back through the trade and the MLE another guard that could help spell Murray, an third big to help Gordon and Jokic, and then a shooter that starts in place of MPJ?

Hypothetically, yes. Problem being there is no playoff rotation guard available for the MLE, and they can't afford to take a big hit to their starting unit.

Hypothetically, yes. Problem being there is no playoff rotation guard available for the MLE, and they can't afford to take a big hit to their starting unit.

You can sign the shooter or third big mam and trade MPJ for the guard and one of other.

I, uh, would not be anticipating a big return on that package.
Completely agree, but all it takes is one dumb team.

You can sign the shooter or third big mam and trade MPJ for the guard and one of other.
If there are starting level forward shooters available for $5m a year, that would be a great trade. Alas, there is not.

I'm really struggling to find a trade that the Nuggets and another team would both see as a good deal. Miles Bridges S&T plus a little something else?

If there are starting level forward shooters available for $5m a year, that would be a great trade. Alas, there is not.

I'm really struggling to find a trade that the Nuggets and another team would both see as a good deal. Miles Bridges S&T plus a little something else?

Possibly, what about a crappy desperate team looking to try to unlock MPJ? Wizards, Hawks, Pistons, Hornets.

MPJ, Reggie Jackson and a couple of seconds for Stewart, Fontecchio, Sasser.

@Kev4029

Should give Denver enough space to use the MLE. Want to call the commissioner or should I?

There is a reason why we haven't had back to back chanps in 6 years in a sport that has been dominated by dynasties throughout its existence.

I don't think it is an overreaction. It is the way things are trending and teams need to adapt.
it's the blaming one player for Denver not beating the Wolves and saying he needs to go for Denver to have a shot that's an over-reaction

the guy didn't play well but he's not the reason they lost the series and trading him for parts shouldn't be the auto-reaction.

it's the blaming one player for Denver not beating the Wolves and saying he needs to go for Denver to have a shot that's an over-reaction

the guy didn't play well but he's not the reason they lost the series and trading him for parts shouldn't be the auto-reaction.

You are correct, but he is the only movable piece that could get them something back.

I think this is gonna be a really good series.

When it comes down to it, I think Mavs in 6. Decent chance of a similar lose game 1, win 2-3, win 5-6.

For me it comes down to: Minnesota has nobody to effectively guard Luka. Dallas has plenty of guys to throw at Ant. I’d rather have Kyrie than Towns, and there’s no hiding place for Gobert. He will have to guard the roller, can’t hang out on a non shooter like Aaron Gordon on the side and still be rim protection.

There will be many adjustments, and it may come down to whether PJ and DJJ keep breathing flames, but those last two OKC games Luka had noticeably more lift on stepbacks and rebounds. If that holds, I think they win.

I could also see anything up to seven or the “competitive sweep” where every game is like 1 point. Idk man. I’m excited for some really good basketball.

I’m out of town during 3/4 so I’m also reeeaalllllly hoping for a Game 6, or a series win before then so I can go to a finals game.

When it comes down to it, I think Mavs in 6. Decent chance of a similar lose game 1, win 2-3, win 5-6.

For me it comes down to: Minnesota has nobody to effectively guard Luka. Dallas has plenty of guys to throw at Ant. I’d rather have Kyrie than Towns, and there’s no hiding place for Gobert. He will have to guard the roller, can’t hang out on a non shooter like Aaron Gordon on the side and still be rim protection.

There will be many adjustments, and it may come down to whether PJ and DJJ keep breathing flames, but those last two OKC games Luka had noticeably more lift on stepbacks and rebounds. If that holds, I think they win.

I could also see anything up to seven or the “competitive sweep” where every game is like 1 point. Idk man. I’m excited for some really good basketball.

I’m out of town during 3/4 so I’m also reeeaalllllly hoping for a Game 6, or a series win before then so I can go to a finals game.
I respectfully think your analysis above is derived from a rose-colored lens. Friendly wager?

and there’s no hiding place for Gobert. He will have to guard the roller, can’t hang out on a non shooter like Aaron Gordon on the side and still be rim protection.
Are Lively and Gafford not playing in this series?
I’ll return the sass with a nice and easy question: did you not read the post? Gafford and Lively are the rollers. If Minny tries to put Towns on one of them and keep Gobert at the rim, a shooter should be open.

If Gobert is on the roller like I suspect, then he’s got to guard the action, not hang back at the rim. He’ll be in the play, not helping as pure rim protection.

I respectfully think your analysis above is derived from a rose-colored lens. Friendly wager?
Sure. What are you thinking?

the biggest reason they struggled this playoffs was because Murray clearly was way less than healthy (which is a theme of his career). If he starts the post season as healthy as last post season, they beat the Wolves.
o rly?

Round of golf next time one of us is in the other's respective area?

Round of golf next time one of us is in the other's respective area?
Love it. I warn you I don’t have access to any fancy clubs, so best I can do is PGA Frisco probably? Feel like an ok range? (I’m sure there are plenty of similar Phoenix courses, but I’ve in played three)

Reactions: Zow
If this is the last series the TNT crew does, then I demand someone go to jail because of it.
It will indeed suck to lose Inside. At least they kind of go out on top and avoid inevitable embarrassment when Draymond hits someone with his chair.

I don't think he is that bad on television.
I cannot STAND Draymond the NBA player but will admit I kinda like him as an analyst.

Same.

Users who are viewing this thread