What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread, Presented by YouTubeTV (8 Viewers)

I may have been a bit bitter last night about the Pacers blowing yet another playoff game. The Celtics have just been absolutely relentless. Pacers have shown their youth in wilting under the pressure and Carlisle has been bafflingly bad in end of game decisions. Very frustrating.

Haliburton out for game 3. That is a bummer.
That sucks. Wanted Boston to face the best version of Indy so they stay sharp and work at it. Now they'll probably sleepwalk to a close game tonight and either barely win it late or actually lose.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Boston will find a way to lose this :lmao:

You called that one Jayrod. Jrue just keeps winning them games.

I will say again that the loss of Porzingis made this series' games much closer than they would have been. Last night it was exacerbated by the loss of Kornet also. Watching Turner and Siakam just turn and shoot over guys without even jumping was frustrating.

IMO, they have to have him to win the Finals. I don't think they can handle Gafford/Lively or Towns/Naz/Gobert without him.

Carlisle boning multiple end of game decisions this series. Nembhardt seemed out of control there nothing was set just take a timeout.
I mean, I don’t disagree, but he was absolutely fouled twice on that play. Once when Holiday smacked his arm and again when he clearly committed a blocking foul. Refs gotta call that.
They let guys touch ball handlers all game long, would have been a weak call, but absolutely 100% not a block.
He knocked him down
He more fell over than was knocked down. That would have been an absolute terrible call there. Young guy gotta learn to be strong with the ball in the waning minutes. They aren't gonna call much
Exactly. Holiday beat him to the spot. Perfect positioning. Not a foul. Holiday had every right to be there, since he got there first.
Such a clutch defender.

IMO, they have to have him to win the Finals. I don't think they can handle Gafford/Lively.
I think the memories and reputation of prior Celtics teams have influenced the expectations of this Celtics team. Boston should beat anyone in a 7-game series this year. They're not the same team. Games 1 and 3 against IND illustrate that. In the past, those were games they would have easily lost. Instead, they turned things up a notch and won. IMO, swapping out Smart for Holiday was the biggest single upgrade they made this season. I posted earlier that Boston is really hard to beat when they make 15 three point shots, and that mark is now up to 61-9.

It doesn't make any sense, but Boston is 29-5 (.853) playing without Porzingas with a +12.2 net rating. As far as Dallas goes, Boston beat them on the road pre-trade deadline with Porzingas sitting, winning by 9. At home with KP, they beat the Mavs with their current roster by 28 (with some of the starters sitting the entire 4Q and the others getting limited minutes). I get it, none of that really matters at this point, but IMO, the C's match up much better against the Mavericks than the Wolves. Again, in the stats that probably don't matter, both Luka and Kyrie are 0-5 in their last 5 games against Boston. The 2 games with MIN this year were intense, physical games that both went to OT.

After hearing so many people pick against the Celtics (lots of folks have said they will pick whoever comes out of the West), I have concluded that 1) many people don't like the Celtics, 2) many people don't want Boston to win, 3) people see them as not always putting forth 100% effort and/or are soft, 4) the perception is they can't close and will lose close games, 5) they play in the East and got a bye to the Finals . . . which blended together leads to 6) people get hypercritical to find any reason to pick against them. Maybe they win this year, maybe they don't, but hopefully the narrative will change if they win. I doubt it will, as people will want them to get an asterisk for playing so many teams with missing contributors.

I dunno about that. Playoff BBall is a different animal. Teams play D. In the post trade game Porzingis put up 24 and 6. Plus provided rim protection. Without him I think DAL matches up fairly well. Not so much Luka because they can put length on him. But IMO Kyrie can eat up Holiday and White with the dribble and get to the paint. Which is gonna let Luka get off some shots from the rotations unless they want to let Gaff/Lively dunk all game. I think this would be a great series. Even if Porzingis plays he's a question mark. When he was w the Wiz he took a lot of games to get into playing condition. He's not gonna come back and be 100%. But rim protection and 3 point shooting from a 7 footer even for 20 mins per game would be a huge boost to BOS. I see BOS winning it in 6. But DAL can give them a run. I think BOS beat MIN 4-.0. MIN scorers look physically beat to me.

Carlisle boning multiple end of game decisions this series. Nembhardt seemed out of control there nothing was set just take a timeout.
I mean, I don’t disagree, but he was absolutely fouled twice on that play. Once when Holiday smacked his arm and again when he clearly committed a blocking foul. Refs gotta call that.
They let guys touch ball handlers all game long, would have been a weak call, but absolutely 100% not a block.
He knocked him down
He more fell over than was knocked down. That would have been an absolute terrible call there. Young guy gotta learn to be strong with the ball in the waning minutes. They aren't gonna call much
Exactly. Holiday beat him to the spot. Perfect positioning. Not a foul. Holiday had every right to be there, since he got there first.
Such a clutch defender.
Not only clutch defender, but he scored their last 5 points, including 3 FTs. That and 1 through Siakam was impressive and those 2 FTs after the steal were huge because it limited Indy to 3 pt attempts only with the 1.7 seconds.

Maybe they win this year, maybe they don't, but hopefully the narrative will change if they win. I doubt it will, as people will want them to get an asterisk for playing so many teams with missing contributors.
They don’t really deserve an asterisk it’s not their fault and frankly anybody putting an asterisk on any sports title is kind of an idiot. If it was so easy why didn’t your team do it. THAT SAID, they are getting off easy but many teams have before and they are undoubtedly one of the best teams in the league.

I wish we got to see them play Denver but they couldn’t handle Minnesota. So it goes.

Celtics in the clutch these playoffs so far . . .

Offensive rating: 134.4
Defensive rating: 96.9
Net rating: +37.5 per 100 possessions

Best defensive backcourt since Thomas/Dumars
Thomas was terrible, what are you talking about?
Harper/Jordan? Payton/Hawkins?
Rajon Rondo, Tony Allen

I'd take The Glove and McMillan
I was actually thinking about Payton and who the best defensive mate he would have had was. Then I saw that hersey Hawkins was on their finals team which I had totally forgotten and then I had to turn away before I went too far down who knows what rabbit hole

Is horford a HOF candidate? I don’t know his numbers. I’m sure he’s made a few all nba teams. 2 college nattys. Been around forever. Probably got some D awards. ETA.. I think he also married a miss universe. So there’s that too.

speaking of how terrible the Wolves have always been, I looked this up today:

Franchise playoff wins prior to drafting Anthony Edwards (31 seasons): 18

Franchise playff wins since drafting Anthony Edwards (4 seasons): 11 (and counting?)

Is horford a HOF candidate? I don’t know his numbers. I’m sure he’s made a few all nba teams. 2 college nattys. Been around forever. Probably got some D awards.

He has five MVPs, 1 all-defense, and 1 all-nba. Since it's the basketball HOF, not the NBA HOF, those two college titles help.

Despite his longevity he doesn't really show up on any all-time stat lists (he's 75th in career rebounds, that's probably his best stat).

Basketball-reference gives him a 12.2% chance.

Is horford a HOF candidate? I don’t know his numbers. I’m sure he’s made a few all nba teams. 2 college nattys. Been around forever. Probably got some D awards.

He has five MVPs, 1 all-defense, and 1 all-nba. Since it's the basketball HOF, not the NBA HOF, those two college titles help.

Despite his longevity he doesn't really show up on any all-time stat lists (he's 75th in career rebounds, that's probably his best stat).

5 MVPs....

You mean 5 time All-Star, maybe?

5 MVPs....

You mean 5 time All-Star, maybe?
Lol whoops

Users who are viewing this thread