What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (4 Viewers)

RIP M. Emmet Walsh. Co starred in some great ones, The Jerk, Fletch, and Blade Runner.

Holy cow, looking thru his IMDB he was in so many great films, and a prolific tv career as well.

M. Emmet Walsh
What’s amazing is that he was only 88. He looked like death warmed over a few years ago in sneaky Pete.

Great in blood simple as well as those you listed and others

RIP M. Emmet Walsh. Co starred in some great ones, The Jerk, Fletch, and Blade Runner.

Holy cow, looking thru his IMDB he was in so many great films, and a prolific tv career as well.

M. Emmet Walsh
What’s amazing is that he was only 88. He looked like death warmed over a few years ago in sneaky Pete.

He’ll always be Dr. Jellyfinger to me.

RIP to a great character actor.

M. Emmet Walsh

He’ll always be Dr. Jellyfinger to me.

RIP to a great character actor.
It’s because of him that I’ve now been on an extensive calisthenics regimen for many years now

Probably only diehard hockey fans will have heard of him, but former enforcer Chris Simon passed away yesterday at age 52. Very solid player in addition to one of the most feared fighters during his day.

While details of this death haven't been provided yet, most signs seem to point to him as being another victim of CTE-related causes. He would sadly be another in a long line of former 1980s/1990s enforcers that have suffered similar early demises from CTE effects (including, in many cases, suicide)

Simon had some good fights with Probert in the NHLs "goon" era and now both are dead way too early.

Capt. Eric Moody died.

He's the pilot whose airline flew through volcanic dust which choked out all 4 engines. After 12 minutes the engines revived. He also had a way with words.

"He was responsible for famously saving the lives of 263 people when in June 1982 all four engines of a Boeing 747 he was piloting stopped mid-air when it flew through an ash plume over Jakata, Indonesia.

Captain Moody's made an announcement to the passengers that has since been described as 'a masterpiece of understatement'. He said: 'Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress.' Incredibly, after 12 minutes with no power the aircraft exited the ash cloud and all engines were restarted, allowing the aircraft to land safely.

Captain Moody told The Times in 2010 that it was 'a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's arse'

M. Emmet Walsh

Agree, he was great in Blood Simple. Slimy, annoying, controlling. To me that's still the Coen Brothers' best movie, and the opening monologue by Walsh is a tremendous lead-in.

M. Emmet Walsh

Agree, he was great in Blood Simple. Slimy, annoying, controlling. To me that's still the Coen Brothers' best movie, and the opening monologue by Walsh is a tremendous lead-in.

It's high time I re-watch this gem.

Daniel Kahneman passed away. Nobel prize in Economics, pioneer in behavioral economics. The Undoing Project is a great book by Michael Lewis detailing his work with Amos Tversky. Really enjoyed his books and listening to his interviews.

senator Joe Lieberman 82, complications after a fall.
Went to college with his daughter... I remember him stopping by the coed frat house where she belonged (and I lived), sidestepping bongs and crushed beer cans with a wry grin.

Rip
brohan where did you go to school that bongs were just casually sitting out in the hallways or was it like the bongs and crushed beer cans were running at him trying to tackle him and ole joe was giving them the old walter payton shimmy take that to the bank

Went to college with his daughter... I remember him stopping by the coed frat house where she belonged (and I lived), sidestepping bongs and crushed beer cans with a wry grin.

Rip
brohan where did you go to school that bongs were just casually sitting out in the hallways or was it like the bongs and crushed beer cans were running at him trying to tackle him and ole joe was giving them the old walter payton shimmy take that to the bank
Oh sure... Bongs and beer cans were only in the open at this particular frat of all frats in the US.

Very sad. He was the CB who retired at halftime when he played for the Bills before the Bills were good again. I thought that was really weird but in a strange way, I kind of admired that. "You know what? F it, I'm done with this crap. Peace".

RIP

Rip
brohan where did you go to school that bongs were just casually sitting out in the hallways or was it like the bongs and crushed beer cans.
URI in the 90's was like that fwiw.

Vontae Davis

No signs of foul play... But he's only 35- something foul had to have been afoot. Terrible and tragic news.
That's not true. People die randomly of natural causes all the time. Two years ago I had a pulmonary embolism, despite having zero obvious risk factors. My doctors kept telling me how lucky I was that I made it to the hospital in time. A couple months later, Jason Jenkins, the Dolphins head of community relations, experienced the exact same thing at a preseason game, except he didn't make it to the hospital and passed away. All I could think when I heard the news was "There but for the grace of God go I."

Similarly, soccer writer Grant Wahl died suddenly at the 2022 World Cup and lots of people assumed it had something to with his criticism of the Qatari government, but it turned out he had an aortic aneurysm. His body was a ticking time bomb.

I have no idea what happened with Davis. But it doesn't have to be anything. Sometimes, it's just your time.

Whatever the cause of death ends up being, it's very sad. Prayers to his family

Very sad. He was the CB who retired at halftime when he played for the Bills before the Bills were good again. I thought that was really weird but in a strange way, I kind of admired that. "You know what? F it, I'm done with this crap. Peace".
Reminds me of one of my all-time favorite quotes, from Tom Robbins' "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues":

“You've heard of people calling in sick. You may have called in sick a few times yourself. But have you ever thought about calling in well?
It'd go like this: You'd get the boss on the line and say, "Listen, I've been sick ever since I started working here, but today I'm well and I won't be in anymore." Call in well.”

Last edited:
Vontae Davis

No signs of foul play... But he's only 35- something foul had to have been afoot. Terrible and tragic news.
That's not true. People die randomly of natural causes all the time. Two years ago I had a pulmonary embolism, despite having zero obvious risk factors. My doctors kept telling me how lucky I was that I made it to the hospital in time. A couple months later, Jason Jenkins, the Dolphins head of community relations, experienced the exact same thing at a preseason game, except he didn't make it to the hospital and passed away. All I could think when I heard the news was "There but for the grace of God go I."

Similarly, soccer writer Grant Wahl died suddenly at the 2022 World Cup and lots of people assumed it had something to with his criticism of the Qatari government, but it turned out he had an aortic aneurysm. His body was a ticking time bomb.

I have no idea what happened with Davis. But it doesn't have to be anything. Sometimes, it's just your time.

Scroll down to the car accident about a year ago in Ft Laud/Broward/South Florida where he is lying asleep on the side of the road next to his crashed Tesla with a police officer clearly in the vicinity of where he is laying asleep and tell me you really think natural causes got him

There's a clear path of unstable mental health

-And THANK GOD you're alive
What happened to you IMHO is not what happened to Vontae Davis

Last edited:
Vontae Davis

Scroll down to the car accident about a year ago in Ft Laud/Broward/South Florida where he is lying asleep on the side of the road next to his crashed Tesla with a police officer clearly in the vicinity of where he is laying asleep and tell me you really think natural causes got him

We can wait for toxicology reports and whatnot but there's a clear path of unstable mental health, to turn a blind eye to everything he's done and just shrug your shoulders is kinda naive IMHO

-And THANK GOD you're alive but what happened to you is not what happened to Vontae Davis
First of all, thanks for the kind words.

And yes, I have no idea of Davis' history. So maybe it is more likely that it was caused by whatever demons were haunting him. I think about when Amy Winehouse died at 27; we certainly didn't need to wait around for toxicology reports.

Anyway, my comment wasn't about Davis per se. I was more just pushing back against the idea that any time a seemingly healthy young person is found dead, it automatically means there was some sort of foul play. I think a lot of folks aren't aware of those random health conditions that kill people every day.

Vontae Davis

We can wait for toxicology reports and whatnot but there's a clear path of unstable mental health, to turn a blind eye to everything he's done and just shrug your shoulders is kinda naive IMHO

-And THANK GOD you're alive but what happened to you is not what happened to Vontae Davis
How is that NOT a natural cause?

All those assumptions you are making aren't very nice or rational.

Very true, Iggy.

Never a good idea to jump to conclusions about this kind of tragedy.

100%. Please don't do that here.
Too late! I already did...
I think it's totally rational, when a young healthy person dies suddenly, to wonder what might have caused it, especially because most of us aren't aware of things like pulmonary embolisms and aortic aneurysms.

In addition -- and I don't in any way mean to speculate on the psychological state of you or anyone else in this thread -- I suspect that, in such cases, there are people who subconsciously want the death to be a result of foul play or a drug overdose or something like that. The alternative -- that this was a random occurrence that could happen to any one of us at any moment -- is far scarier

Very true, Iggy.

Never a good idea to jump to conclusions about this kind of tragedy.

100%. Please don't do that here.
Too late! I already did...
I think it's totally rational, when a young healthy person dies suddenly, to wonder what might have caused it, especially because most of us aren't aware of things like pulmonary embolisms and aortic aneurysms.

In addition -- and I don't in any way mean to speculate on the psychological state of you or anyone else in this thread -- I suspect that, in such cases, there are people who subconsciously want the death to be a result of foul play or a drug overdose or something like that. The alternative -- that this was a random occurrence that could happen to any one of us at any moment -- is far scarier
I remember John Ritter. It's been twenty years now. Still miss him.

Vontae Davis

How is that NOT a natural cause?

All those assumptions you are making aren't very nice or rational.
I can't argue with you because in general you're very kind not just to me but most everyone around here.
If you say it's not very nice, i'll take your word for it. I won't apologize but I accept your POV

-I did re-word it a bit if you scroll back
Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread