What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Believe That The Modern "Tipping" Culture Has Gone Completely Out Of Control? (1/30) (1 Viewer)

I do feel like the entire premise that tipping is a reward for excellent service is flawed, and relies on a server taking data in real time that isn't there and making sense of it. A high or low tip is much more likely to be due to the tipper, not the service received. Or in many cases bad math.

I bet if you look at it the main driver across a staff is who is hottest. Hotter waitresses probably rake, and nothing else matters.
Not really. Maybe behind the bar. I’ve seen wildebeests kill it. And I’ve always been the top dog And I’m a dude, allegedly.
Bartenders are probably on a different scale. You get people tipping them for actual better service that you can quantify.
i was refuting your hot waitress theory. bartenders make money mostly on volume. hotness is a factor.

I do feel like the entire premise that tipping is a reward for excellent service is flawed, and relies on a server taking data in real time that isn't there and making sense of it. A high or low tip is much more likely to be due to the tipper, not the service received. Or in many cases bad math.

I bet if you look at it the main driver across a staff is who is hottest. Hotter waitresses probably rake, and nothing else matters.
Not really. Maybe behind the bar. I’ve seen wildebeests kill it. And I’ve always been the top dog And I’m a dude, allegedly.
Bartenders are probably on a different scale. You get people tipping them for actual better service that you can quantify.
i was refuting your hot waitress theory. bartenders make money mostly on volume. hotness is a factor.

With TiK TOK is there even a reason for a hot girl to subject herself to actual work?

That’s the biggest impact of that awful app. Flip side I guess is they’re all easy to find with other apps these days.

*Counter service for carry out = $1-$3
*Counter service for sushi carry out = 20%

Dining In:

8-10% Awful to bad service
10-15% adequate to average service.
15% Above average service. The new floor for tips.
15-20% Good to very good service.
25% and up - exceptional service.

* does my money actually go to the hostess or sushi chefs? It better! :rant:

With TiK TOK is there even a reason for a hot girl to subject herself to actual work?

That’s the biggest impact of that awful app. Flip side I guess is they’re all easy to find with other apps these days.

This is sadly an excellent point. Between Tik Tok and OF, these girls can live life on easy street.

I want to believe the cheapskates who don't pay door dashers just don't know they need the tips. If they do know, and refuse to give a tip, they get what they deserve as far as slow or non-delivery.

Part of the problem is all the added on delivery and service fees. It used to be I'd get a pizza delivered, pay the $20 for the pizza and give a $5 tip. Now they also charge a $5 delivery fee. With Uber Eats the fees are even more outrageous. I still tip but those fees have definitely cut into my generosity and I'm sure others figure those fees are going to the driver.
I’ll be honest that I don’t get the door dash and Instacart stuff. I love my Amazon deliveries but those are mainly things I can’t get elsewhere. I’ll do drive up at Target, but grocery stores and fast food type places are always close and easy to drive to and do your own shopping. Pizza delivery is fine but that was already in place and the drivers work there. I’ve used DoorDash/GrubHub before when traveling and I didn’t have a car but it was way too expensive to not do when expensing. It boggles my kind paying $20 with up for McDonald’s or Chick-fil-a.
This post is timely. Last night we ordered Papa John’s delivery for the kids and the babysitter directly from papa John’s. Papa John’s then subcontracted a Door Dash delivery driver. Had never seen that before.
Interesting. I usually pick up from dominos and they still deliver themselves. I like getting my pizzas right when they come out of the oven and get them home immediately. It also saves money. That said, highly recommend an outdoor pizza oven. I got one on Amazon for Christmas and it’s really nice. My 15 year old loves making them with me. He tried to recreate one specialty pizza at a restaurant and did pretty damn well. My white pizza (pesto, ricotta, garlic and mozzarella) for my 17 year old was awesome. It took a couple tries but I know how to get a good fire with wood chunks, pellets, fire starters and a usb fan and if hot enough the pizzas take 2-3 minutes. Ordering Dominos is easier but less fun and tasty.
Yeah this was an "ease" decision for us because my wife and I were going out. Ordinarily we either make our own pizzas as a family thing or I pick up from a much better local place.

How do we feel about Billion dollar grocery chains asking us to donate $2 to charity upon checkout?

I hear Tik Tok actually doesnt pay out much money on its own. OF is another story.

This is sadly an excellent point. Between Tik Tok and OF, these girls can live life on easy street.
So sad

I hope there are some bills making their way through the federal government to stop these these young self-employed people from making money through photos of themselves.

This is true of most businesses though. Starting a business is difficult and expensive. Maybe if a company isn't popular enough to operate without being able to pay its workforce sweatshop wages, it's not a company that has enough demand for its product to exist. And that's not my quote...

I think restaurants are generally considered the worst business investment one can make. People usually open them because they love food,entertaining, people or the cache it comes with and not because they expect to make a lot of money.
You'd think by now they'd all know to just look in the tomato cans... that's where the real money is.
That’s extremely funny. My wife and literally just finished that episode and saw that scene tonight. I had no idea what you were referring to. Good stuff.

How do we feel about Billion dollar grocery chains asking us to donate $2 to charity upon checkout?
Good, makes it convenient for those who want to donate. If you don't want to donate, then don't.
Makes it convenient for them to get our money. Those donations have a nice chunk taken out that never gets near a needy person, unfortunately.
Donate if you want, that fine. It just sucks only a small portion of what you donate actually helps.

Dining In:

My daughter worked for 2 weeks at a restaurant. Owner stole tips. My daughter quit.

Good, makes it convenient for those who want to donate. If you don't want to donate, then don't.
Makes it convenient for them to get our money. Those donations have a nice chunk taken out that never gets near a needy person, unfortunately.
Donate if you want, that fine. It just sucks only a small portion of what you donate actually helps.
Most charities are like that, some money goes to administrative costs. Haven't seen anything suggesting grocery chains are worse but if have info I'd be interested in seeing it.

Dining In:

My daughter worked for 2 weeks at a restaurant. Owner stole tips. My daughter quit.

My daughter works at a restaurant and whatever they’re doing with all the tips is shady AF. She’s only a hostess now so she doesn’t care but she will when she becomes a server.

My daughter works at a restaurant and whatever they’re doing with all the tips is shady AF
Someone should document. Owners aren't usually too slick about it.

I sent a few pay stubs to my tax guy but mostly just for our own curiosity.

TBH - this kid rarely leaves the house so her working has been beyond wonderful for her to meet new people and just interact with the public. (Obviously we all know how awful that is but it’s good for them to learn that one on their own).

This is a fairly high end restaurant and we’ve been shocked to learn how fly-by-night the whole operation is.

This is a fairly high end restaurant and we’ve been shocked to learn how fly-by-night the whole operation is.
I will tell anyone that part of the reason restaurants have such a bad fail rate is that anyone can open one. It's not like there are qualifications, or testing.

Any knucklehead who raises 200 grand can open a place.

We live far enough away from most of the restaurants, a 10-15 minute ride after the food has been sitting and waiting to be picked up, it would likely get cold.

There is only 1 thing i have delivered and that's pizza. There's only 1 place I order from and I get a Grandma's Pie which is fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, garlic and basil, sheet style.
The pizza bags/warmers most places use, they do keep the pizzas pretty hot.

My total is usually about $20 and I always give $10 to the driver on top.
I order about once a week when the NFL is on, every 2-3 weeks in the off season.
I live in an area where GPS does not work, not easy to find me

We don't eat out as much as we used to
I tip hard at the bars with servers and bartenders I know and have waited on me many times
It's not that hard to pour Whiskey or Tequila, neat.
On a $50 bar tab, usually I leave a $20 bill, even I pay on a card, I leave cash for the bartender, it goes in their pocket and they remember you the next time.
It's not so much that I get free drinks and heavy pours, I just appreciate good service and want the bartender to be in a relatively good mood while I'm there.

I used to tip $2-$3 back in the 90s, I remember when it went to $5 or I felt comfortable giving that.
Gas prices, a pandemic, guilt that i didn't have to drive 25-30 minutes round trip, $10 seems like an easy way to get out of lifting a finger

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have no problem ignoring the suggested tip on the check out screen, but I can understand how it would guilt someone into tipping when they normally wouldn't. For me it is simple, great service = great tip. I will go to a sports bar on a Sunday to watch football with buddies. I usually order appetizers, a meal and Soda (I don't drink so it makes a big difference on my tab). I can see the waitress roll her eyes when I order the soda and my buddies order drinks, but if she keeps my glass full, I will tip as if I was ordering drinks, usually 2-3x the amount of my bill because I understand that if I was actually drinking my bill would be a lot more.

Dining In:

People that do this, do you do something on the check to annotate your tip with your rating of service? What makes you think the servers think your baseline is whatever you tipped? Or do you actually think the servers even bother doing the % math in their head and instead look at the raw #?

Almost never tip for carry out. However if I frequently get carry out from the same place I might do something around the holidays. A couple years ago there was a sub/pizza place we would order from frequently and almost always got served by the same girl. The day before Christmas I was picking up 3-4 subs. When the girl handed me the bag I handed her a $100 bill and said Merry Christmas. She thanked me profusely and seemed genuinely appreciative.

Until coming to this site back in the day, I had no idea servers in the US made so little. In Canada everyone makes minimum wage, it's why it's called minimum. So the tip is truly at your discretion. Counter service I'm not tipping unless you did something more than you are expected to. Restaurant 20+ depending on service and how challenging my table might be. My hairdresser who owns his own salon in his house and I already go out of my way to get there and to fit into his schedule instead of him fitting mine, I'll tip a 20 but not 20% of my bill cause he's already charging 100 an hour.

So no one is counting on my tip to make ends meet and that's way less burden for both sides.

I think US is an exception in the tipping as expectation to survive category.

I have zero issues with it. You can say no. If it is a charity I normally support I add a $1.00

Like St. Jude hospital I am a huge supporter of their cause.

I actually think it is a clever and effective way to raise money for great causes. Everyone goes to the grocery store.

Not a fan of this. We donate So Kroger, CVS or Ace Hardware can announce "Our company donated 5 million to charity causes this year"

Not a fan of this. We donate So Kroger, CVS or Ace Hardware can announce "Our company donated 5 million to charity causes this year"
Does it really matter what they announce? For me it's convenient to donate a few bucks to good causes. My guess is the amount going to the charity is similar to most charities.

Does it really matter what they announce? For me it's convenient to donate a few bucks to good causes. My guess is the amount going to the charity is similar to most charities.

To me it does. Would be like all my friends giving my $$$$$ and then I announce a huge gift in my n

Thats OK but It just bothers me a bit.

These programs have great “bang for the buck for business goodwill” Businesses are forever being asked to support worthy causes. By running a program like this, businesses appear to be actually supporting a cause, but with none of their own money. The donations come from me and you, but the business gets the glory. “John’s Oil Change" presents a check for $5,000 to the local hospital.” Except it’s not actually John’s money — it’s the sum of the donations customers gave when they got their oil changed. But John or whatever company get the free advertising goodwill.

Does the company get a tax write-off for our donations? Or is the customer supposed to claim the 2 bucks or whatever each time

Does the company get a tax write-off for our donations? Or is the customer supposed to claim the 2 bucks or whatever each time
With the change in standard deductions I seriously doubt anyone checking out at a store with a micro donation is able to move the needle.

With the change in standard deductions I seriously doubt anyone checking out at a store with a micro donation is able to move the needle.
Let me restate it this way: If I give $100 in a year via the checkout, is Piggly Wiggly writing that off as a tax deduction?

And no I don't care about writing off small deductions. Just wondering if I am gifting the supermarket a tax deduction.

Let me restate it this way: If I give $100 in a year via the checkout, is Piggly Wiggly writing that off as a tax deduction?

And no I don't care about writing off small deductions. Just wondering if I am gifting the supermarket a tax deduction.
My understanding is they write off the credit card fees.

There's no tax deduction for the companies.

There's no tax deduction for the companies.
I believe the value for the company its really just in the branding/marketing. “Look at us we donated 5 millions dollars last year!”

When I go to the restaurant now and they allow you to easy-click a tip, the buttons START at 18%. I'm like wuuut?

Dining In:

People that do this, do you do something on the check to annotate your tip with your rating of service? What makes you think the servers think your baseline is whatever you tipped? Or do you actually think the servers even bother doing the % math in their head and instead look at the raw #?

I don’t do or think about any of the things you thought of. If you want to debate if a percentage of the cost of goods sold should not be the main factor I would listen. I can see an argument there.

Im reading your post as if you’re suggesting that there is something weird about tipping more for better service? Among my friends and myself, whom all worked in the service industry this has always been the method. I’m fact, until about 10-15 years ago, 10% was considered the baseline. Now it’s 20%.

So, why do you think it’s weird to tip more for better service? (If that’s not what you’re saying then apologies).

Dining In:

I don’t do or think about any of the things you thought of. If you want to debate if a percentage of the cost of goods sold should not be the main factor I would listen. I can see an argument there.

Im reading your post as if you’re suggesting that there is something weird about tipping more for better service? Among my friends and myself, whom all worked in the service industry this has always been the method. I’m fact, until about 10-15 years ago, 10% was considered the baseline. Now it’s 20%.

So, why do you think it’s weird to tip more for better service? (If that’s not what you’re saying then apologies).

I just wonder if people tip more and leave no context. These perceived % ranges are likely lost on the people they intend to incentivize.

Dining In:

I just wonder if people tip more and leave no context. These perceived % ranges are likely lost on the people they intend to incentivize.
100% think that is the case. Which is why, IMO, servers, et al should be paid "normal" wages and customers should only tip for exceptional service. The only flaw here is that customers can't "underpay" for bad service, but that's where Karen would take over.

Users who are viewing this thread