What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Inglourious Basterds (1 Viewer)

JoeT,You have to put yourself in Landa's shoes. At that moment in time the Americans had already stormed the beaches and were making a push through France. Italy had shown to be no help and the Allied forces were making their way through Africa from the South. In the East the German Army was unable to defeat Russia. There was no way that Germany could win a two front War. Landa was smart enough to know military tactics and he's also smart enough to know that because of his assistance in exterminating the Jews that he would be tried and hung after the War was over. His one out to save his #### and put his name in the history books is to give up Hitler and end the War. He took it. It was the smart play.
Just stop. The movie was fictional. It wasn't based on a shred of history. I don't have to put myself in anyone's shoes but my own. And my shoes say the ending was terrible. It wasted what was an otherwise decent fictional movie. The first 45 minutes were classic. The next hour was meh. The ending went over as well as poop in the punchbowl.
I disagree, I enjoyed the ending. True it changed history and that is what I liked about it, I hadn't read too much about the moving so it was a surprise to me. Had they followed a historical storyline it would have been boring. This ending was far superior.

I liked it, but thought it was slow at times. I still prefer Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Kill Bill to this, but I still thought it was pretty good.

I liked it, but thought it was slow at times. I still prefer Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Kill Bill to this, but I still thought it was pretty good.
I haven't enjoyed many of his films. Pulp Fiction is way overrated, Kill Bill was terrible. Reservoir Dogs was decent. I found Inglourious Basterds to be much, much better than anything I have seen of his before.

Joe T said:
Snotbubbles said:
JoeT,You have to put yourself in Landa's shoes. At that moment in time the Americans had already stormed the beaches and were making a push through France. Italy had shown to be no help and the Allied forces were making their way through Africa from the South. In the East the German Army was unable to defeat Russia. There was no way that Germany could win a two front War. Landa was smart enough to know military tactics and he's also smart enough to know that because of his assistance in exterminating the Jews that he would be tried and hung after the War was over. His one out to save his #### and put his name in the history books is to give up Hitler and end the War. He took it. It was the smart play.
Just stop. The movie was fictional. It wasn't based on a shred of history. I don't have to put myself in anyone's shoes but my own. And my shoes say the ending was terrible. It wasted what was an otherwise decent fictional movie. The first 45 minutes were classic. The next hour was meh. The ending went over as well as poop in the punchbowl.
You didn't watch the movie close enough. There was a scene where Hitler was discussing attending the movie where he talks about the Allied Forces closing in and having a symbolic meaningful impact by attending. This scene shows that Hitler himself knew the end was near. It has nothing to do with history, all about the movie. Try watching it next time.

Pulp Fiction is way overrated
Perhaps upon multiple viewings, but I don't know anyone who didn't think it killed the first time they saw it.The out-of-sequence shooting was interesting. And Christopher Walken's speech about the watch was worth the price of admission.

toshiba said:
Joe T said:
Snotbubbles said:
I disagree, I enjoyed the ending. True it changed history and that is what I liked about it, I hadn't read too much about the moving so it was a surprise to me. Had they followed a historical storyline it would have been boring. This ending was far superior.
I just saw this recently - thought it was highly entertaining. Like you expect from Tarantino, there were a couple of incredible set pieces, like the basement bar and the farmhouse at the beginning. And I though tthe end was great - the rewriting of history was completely unexpected and made it a lot of fun.

I haven't enjoyed many of his films. Pulp Fiction is way overrated, Kill Bill was terrible. Reservoir Dogs was decent. I found Inglourious Basterds to be much, much better than anything I have seen of his before.
You're face is overrated.

I haven't enjoyed many of his films. Pulp Fiction is way overrated, Kill Bill was terrible. Reservoir Dogs was decent.
Oy.
Out of all the possible topics, film contrarians piss me off the most. Pulp Fiction is probably the greatest independent film made to date. Just because a film was popular and wildly successful doesn't mean it was overrated. Sometimes they are just that good. I'd like to see a list of his underrated films.

I haven't enjoyed many of his films. Pulp Fiction is way overrated, Kill Bill was terrible. Reservoir Dogs was decent.
Oy.
Out of all the possible topics, film contrarians piss me off the most. Pulp Fiction is probably the greatest independent film made to date. Just because a film was popular and wildly successful doesn't mean it was overrated. Sometimes they are just that good. I'd like to see a list of his underrated films.
I'm sure I like a lot of terrible movies. I am hardly a movie snob. I don't watch that many, and have seen maybe a dozen movies in the past 2 years or so.I just don't "get" his movies. Inglorious Basterds was the first one that I truly enjoyed. :lmao: Sorry if that bothers you.

Oy.
I'm sure I like a lot of terrible movies. I am hardly a movie snob. I don't watch that many, and have seen maybe a dozen movies in the past 2 years or so.I just don't "get" his movies. Inglorious Basterds was the first one that I truly enjoyed. :confused: Sorry if that bothers you.
No need at all to apologize. It’d be boring if we all agreed on everything. I just happen to think QT’s brand is refreshing in a world that still pays to see Nicholas Cage in films. I’m not particularly a huge fan of Reservoir Dogs or the Kill Bill’s, but I don’t care for Kung Fu or Michael Madsen much.

Inglourious Basterds took a couple of viewings for me to sort out all of the dialogue. I thought the way they killed the Jew-turned-cinema owner was a bit weak, but overall it wasn't bad. I liked the "Jewhunter" character. Delightfully brutal.

I thought it was a little better than Pulp Fiction (which had its moments, but I didn't overly care for), but I put it behind Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs.

Now that I've watched this again while not being completely exhausted, I enjoyed it a lot more.

The opening scene with the Jew Hunter set a nice tone, and the scene with BVH in the basement tavern (3 fingers) was pretty intense.

Oy.
The thing is: everything great is, by definition, overrated.

I actually fell asleep the first two times I tried watching this movie. The Jewhunter scene with realizing the farmer was hiding his neighbors was an awesome scene, but I didn't like much else about it. Just seemed to move so much slower than Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction. No real memorable lines either.

i would marry this movie

i would cherish it, stay faithful, have its babies, raise them, and let them put me in an old folks home when the time was right

there me and this movie would sit on the porch and play bridge, and someday die in each other's arms

How is this movie on BluRay?
Beautiful.
Good to hear. Just bought a BluRay player and I made this my first movie. Loved it in the theatre and wanted the DVD but never got around to buying it, so when I bought my BR player, I figured heck this should be good. Just waiting on my HDMI cable from monoprice to show up and I'll be ready to go.
My first bluray discs came free with my Playstation (Full Metal Jacket, American Psycho, Species.) I think the first blu ray I ever bought was WALL•E - which looks incredible on blu ray.

i would marry this moviei would cherish it, stay faithful, have its babies, raise them, and let them put me in an old folks home when the time was rightthere me and this movie would sit on the porch and play bridge, and someday die in each other's arms
:goodposting:

You didn't watch the movie close enough. There was a scene where Hitler was discussing attending the movie where he talks about the Allied Forces closing in and having a symbolic meaningful impact by attending. This scene shows that Hitler himself knew the end was near. It has nothing to do with history, all about the movie. Try watching it next time.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ETA: The ending was a horrific letdown.
Call me crazy, but I think the last 10 minutes is one of the most satisfying movie endings ever. :goodposting:
I think the ending would have been more satisfying/realistic if somehow Pitt and the other dude would have broken free of their handcuffs or whatever their restraints were, fashioned a table leg into a baseball bat and then beat the crap out the German dude who caught them.Having the German dude basically give up to a couple of Nazi haters after spending the enitire film painting him as some sort of Jew hunting genius was an epic let down."Hey, I've been hunting you guys the whole movie, but guess what... now that I have you I am going to set you guys free, turn myself over to you, and hope that you don't kill me." I haven't seen a more unsatisfying ending since Jurasic Park I where the dinosaur comes out of no where to attack the other dinosaur just before one of the main characters was about to be eaten./rant over
:goodposting:

I have to disagree with Joe T. I think if Pitt and Ryan Howard had gotten loose and beaten Landa to death with a table leg, that would have been a total cop-out. No way is someone as clearly brilliant as Landa going to tie them up so haphazardly as to allow them to get loose. Once he had Aldo and The Little Man in his clutches, the only way they weren't going to die was by Landa's choice. That scene was written the only way it could have been and still had credibility, IMO. I thought it was terrific.I liked Django, but this movie was far superior in my opinion. I'd give IB a 9/10 and Django a 7/10.

Man, I tell you what. That "Showgirls" was an awesome movie. It's difficult not to enjoy watching Elizabeth Berkeley topless and getting railed in a pool.

I'm convinced that people who think that Inglorious Basterds is "crap" are just trying to be movie hipsters.

I'm convinced that people who think that Inglorious Basterds is "crap" are just trying to be movie hipsters.
Tanner hates everything. The only movies I've seen him admit he likes are Coen Brothers films, the Fast/Furious and American Pie series, the old "Ernest Goes To..." flicks, "Paul Blart : Mall Cop," "Christmas Vacation," and genre spoofs like "Meet the Spartans."

Users who are viewing this thread