What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Inglourious Basterds (1 Viewer)

Huh? Where did I say he mastered the art of suspense?And I guarantee you that if Hitchcock made his greatest movie today there would be people on this board ripping it to pieces.
You didn't say so but that's what Quentin was shooting for in Basterds.
I'm not sure I agree with that, I don't recall Hitch being so dialog heavy. I liken it to the chess match where the openings are seemingly innocuous with a lot of Q's seemingly rambling dialog that actually builds towards something with a huge payoff. And quite frankly i don't think he's ever had an actor "get it" as much as Walz did.

Huh? Where did I say he mastered the art of suspense?And I guarantee you that if Hitchcock made his greatest movie today there would be people on this board ripping it to pieces.
You didn't say so but that's what Quentin was shooting for in Basterds.
I'm not sure I agree with that, I don't recall Hitch being so dialog heavy. I liken it to the chess match where the openings are seemingly innocuous with a lot of Q's seemingly rambling dialog that actually builds towards something with a huge payoff. And quite frankly i don't think he's ever had an actor "get it" as much as Walz did.
If you mean doing a lot more than remembering his lines for one long take after another, then yes, Waltz gets it. :bag:

jdoggydogg said:
McJose said:
Capella said:
Pretty small gripes. Seems like you're looking for things to complain about.
Those are just 2 examples. I've got a laundry list in this thread.
That you keep repeating over and over.
It's not my fault there are people that like this abortion of a movie and keep postin here.
In a world where Rude Dude recommends The Crying Game to an iFriend, you can honestly refer to this as an abortion of a movie? Just ####ing shame on you. :mellow:

jdoggydogg said:
McJose said:
Capella said:
Pretty small gripes. Seems like you're looking for things to complain about.
Those are just 2 examples. I've got a laundry list in this thread.
That you keep repeating over and over.
It's not my fault there are people that like this abortion of a movie and keep postin here.
In a world where Rude Dude recommends The Crying Game to an iFriend, you can honestly refer to this as an abortion of a movie? Just ####ing shame on you. :thumbdown:
I'm trying to help.

I'm sure it was asked but do you have a quick list of 5 films in the last 5-10 years that you really liked?
Off the top of my head...Revolutionary RoadNo Country For Old MenThe Good ShepardChildren of MenSidewaysLost in TranslationMillion Dollar BabyEternal Sunshine of the Spotless MindGood Night and Good LuckFrost/NixonBatman BeginsMaster and Commander

I'm sure it was asked but do you have a quick list of 5 films in the last 5-10 years that you really liked?
Off the top of my head...Revolutionary RoadNo Country For Old MenThe Good ShepardChildren of MenSidewaysLost in TranslationMillion Dollar BabyEternal Sunshine of the Spotless MindGood Night and Good LuckFrost/NixonBatman BeginsMaster and Commander
That's a fantastic list of films, most of them I have seen a few times. So this movie just didn't work for you because you obviously don't have bad taste in films. Are you a Tarantino fan at all? Did you like Kill Bill or Grindhouse? If you liked those other movies, did you at least see the cinematography in this film or no? I really have watched this several times and a few of the camera angles deserve a nod just by themselves. Tarantino is such a lover of film that he uses so many classic styles in his films, sometimes you can tell exactly where he pulls his ideas or films he is trying to emulate. With so much garbage filling up the multiplexes this year this film seemed to cut against those trends and to me stood out. It was a film I wanted to talk about days later. I felt Tarantino was doing some of the things in IB that the Coen Bros did with O Brother Where Art Thou as far as use of image and the physical film itself. The sets were tremendous and you can see Tarantino making that leap to the next level. He starts with the use of warehouses and apartments in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, moves to bigger sets like in Kill Bill with the Asian Bar/Club to his latest film where they had to create that lavish theatre and all those period pieces and places, although we still get some of that raw edge in the French dairy farmhouse scene which shows you don't always need a lot of money to make a film. I thought there was an awful lot to like in this movie but I imagine those that take history a bit too literal might not like this movie.

Can somebody sum this up? I don't want to go through 16 pages, but do want to know if I'm right.
The lovers say the movie is excellent and one of the best films of 2009. The haters say it's self-indulgent, long, and boring.
I'd say self-indulgent, long and slow. However, there were some great scenes and overall performances. Worth watching, but flawed. Not the "Better than Pulp Fiction, OMG I love QT's edginess" that some are proclaiming, but not a horrible abortion of a film not worth watching. That said, it's worth seeing just for the Landa character, pure genius as written and acted.

Can somebody sum this up? I don't want to go through 16 pages, but do want to know if I'm right.
The lovers say the movie is excellent and one of the best films of 2009. The haters say it's self-indulgent, long, and boring.
To me it just seems like QT isn't doing much different. Great director, great writer of dialog, but to me his movies seem the same. Other directors out their have their style - you can tell it's a Coen Brothers movie - but the movies are different. I just feel that QT had about 2-3 movies in him and now he's basically rehasing the same movie in different settings. I don't think the movies are bad, maybe just that I've had my fill.

Just saw it last week and I gotta say...there was plenty of potential but didn't seem like lived up to the hype. To me it was at least 30 minutes too long and the basterds overall were horribly miscast. Pitt was awful. Roth was awful. The guy from the office was awful. There were some GREAT performances in this film and basterds by comparison just seemed totally out of place. What a shame.

Abrantes said:
John Maddens Lunchbox said:
Hoart Petterson said:
Name a better character he's written than Landa? :goodposting:

..and the structure critique? Say what?
When Pulp Fiction or Reservoid Dogs came out and if this board was around, there would have been people bashing those films as well. Tarantino has a habit of dividing film goers into either loving or hating his work. I don't understand it either as I find IB his best work since Fiction, but people either have unrealistic expectations surrounding a film or just don't get it. Many films I don't get either, so whatever.
:lmao: It's not a matter of getting it. As I hinted above, I love a lot of Tarantino's other stuff.As for characters, I have the feeling we're not gonna see eye-to-eye very much if you feel the need to ask that. I thought Waltz gave a great performance, but in terms of a believable, fleshed-out character, there's a handful of characters in Pulp Fiction that I found more compelling, plus a few more in Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown.

I don't see what's the confusion with the structure critique. It was a simple story, but the narrative was all over the place. Felt like it would've worked better as a movie half its length, which could've still managed to say all he wanted to say.
If you didn't like it, you obviously didn't "get it". I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying that what Quentin Tarantino put out didn't gel with you. For lots of us it did. If his structure, narrative, characters and film length didn't hit you, then there is nothing wrong with that. For many of us it was the best film of 2009. If we all agreed, i'd be worried.
Disagree."Not getting it" = not understanding, so not liking.

"Not liking it" = understanding, but not liking.

I wasn't a fan of this one, and I'd like to think I "got it". Nothing really new to dissent with that hasn't been voiced by the others, although I don't think I disliked the film as much as some of the others. Just was kind of meh to me.
That's your definition of "Getting It", not mine. If that's how it came across from me, I apologise. My definition of “getting it”, is understanding and enjoying what the Director set out to achieve with their movie. If you don’t like/understand a movie, then the Director failed to achieve that directive for you the viewer. Abrantes & McJose are smarter people than me, so it wasn’t intended as a “You’re Stupid for not getting the movie” kind of vibe. It was a you didn’t enjoy the movie, therefore the movie wasn’t on the same wavelength as you.

There’s some really stupid movies, that I get exactly. They are perfectly pitched at me the viewer. There are others which lose me totally, some because I’m stupid, others cause they just aren’t my cup of tea.

I always hate when people say they don't like a movie, and then someone moves in with the condescending "you must not get it". Different strokes for different folks. I got the movie by the way and loved it, top film of 2009 IMO.
I agree exactly, except my version of "Getting It", is different than yours.

To me it just seems like QT isn't doing much different. Great director, great writer of dialog, but to me his movies seem the same. Other directors out their have their style - you can tell it's a Coen Brothers movie - but the movies are different. I just feel that QT had about 2-3 movies in him and now he's basically rehasing the same movie in different settings. I don't think the movies are bad, maybe just that I've had my fill.
:goodposting: Res Dogs seemed like an experiment...a successful one at that. Pulp Fiction, which was outstanding, was the result of that experiment. Unfortunately QT took the fresh and innovative thing he put into those two moves and beat them to death.Same thing with Kevin Smith.

:popcorn: Res Dogs seemed like an experiment...a successful one at that. Pulp Fiction, which was outstanding, was the result of that experiment. Unfortunately QT took the fresh and innovative thing he put into those two moves and beat them to death.

Same thing with Kevin Smith.
Jackie Brown is nothing like those two movies.

:popcorn: Res Dogs seemed like an experiment...a successful one at that. Pulp Fiction, which was outstanding, was the result of that experiment. Unfortunately QT took the fresh and innovative thing he put into those two moves and beat them to death.

Same thing with Kevin Smith.
Jackie Brown is nothing like those two movies.
:thumbup: All I remember about Jackie Brown was that it wasn't very good.

:goodposting: All I remember about Jackie Brown was that it wasn't very good.
Jesus.
OK, check that. Jackie Brown was good. It wasn't great. Part of the problem I has was that he changed some things from the original novel, Rum Punch, that made no sense. I also didn't think the movie had to have the whole 70s/blax feel to it.
MMmm, I've watched a lot of movies, and a lot of movies based on Books that I've read and Jackie Brown was about as faithful to the book as possible. The name of the character was Jackie Burke in the book and she was white. Apart from that Tarantino went to great pains to ensure he was faithful to the book as it was one of his favorites growing up and he was almost reverential about Elmore Leonard. I read the book immediately before seeing the movie and it was pretty much identical. What changes did you notice?

BTW I loved the book, but didn't think it translated as well to the movies as I thought it would. To me it's meh.

:edit:

I did a quick search to see what the differences were and this is what I came up with

Key differences between Jackie Brown and Rum Punch

Jackie's character was known as Jackie Burke in the novel, but Jackie Brown in the film.

Jackie was originally white, not black, as is the case with the film.

Various characters underwent minor changes in the adaptation. For example, Melanie (portrayed in the film by the slim Bridget Fonda was originally not as thin and was described as having unnaturally large breasts. (See below).

As is the case with most adaptations, key events in the novel were overlooked. This includes a Ordell stealing guns with Louis from a neo-Nazi's house.

In the novel, Louis originally worked for Max Cherry.

The film moves the setting from Florida to Los Angeles and Ordell's money from Jamaica to Mexico.

Tarantino's screenplay versus Leonard's novel

Jackie Brown / Jackie Burke

Leonard: ...her neat rear end in the tan skirt...she surely didn't look forty-four, at least not from here...

Tarantino: Jackie Brown is a very attractive black woman in her mid forties, though she looks like she's in her mid thirties.

Ordell Robbie

Leonard: ...a light-skinned black guy...Ordell ran his hand carefully over his hair, feeling the hard set, ran it back to his pigtail braid and curled it between his fingers...

Tarantino: Ordell likes wearing clothes nice and likes wearing nice clothes.

...appeared much like the novel, though Tarantino droppped the "light-skinned black guy" part of the character.

Louis Gara

Leonard: ...dark-skinned white guy...

Tarantino: ...who looks like he does his shopping at the Salvation Army...white, also in his mid-forties...

Max Cherry

Leonard: ...appeared neat and clean-shaved, had his blue shirt open, no tie, good size shoulders on him. That dark, tough-looking type of guy like Louis, dark hair, only Max Cherry was losing his on top...

Tarantino: ..a regular-Joe-type white guy in his fifties...

Melanie

Leonard: The fine big girl had in thirteen years become bigger, show #### grown to circus #### but still okay, tan...

Tarantino: ...thirty-three, is a tanned, blonde, California beach bunny...

Retrieved from "http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.php/Rum_Punch_by_Elmore_Leonard"

Last edited by a moderator:
ETA: The ending was a horrific letdown.
Call me crazy, but I think the last 10 minutes is one of the most satisfying movie endings ever. :goodposting:
I think the ending would have been more satisfying/realistic if somehow Pitt and the other dude would have broken free of their handcuffs or whatever their restraints were, fashioned a table leg into a baseball bat and then beat the crap out the German dude who caught them.Having the German dude basically give up to a couple of Nazi haters after spending the enitire film painting him as some sort of Jew hunting genius was an epic let down."Hey, I've been hunting you guys the whole movie, but guess what... now that I have you I am going to set you guys free, turn myself over to you, and hope that you don't kill me." I haven't seen a more unsatisfying ending since Jurasic Park I where the dinosaur comes out of no where to attack the other dinosaur just before one of the main characters was about to be eaten./rant over

:goodposting: All I remember about Jackie Brown was that it wasn't very good.
Jesus.
OK, check that. Jackie Brown was good. It wasn't great. Part of the problem I has was that he changed some things from the original novel, Rum Punch, that made no sense. I also didn't think the movie had to have the whole 70s/blax feel to it.
MMmm, I've watched a lot of movies, and a lot of movies based on Books that I've read and Jackie Brown was about as faithful to the book as possible. The name of the character was Jackie Burke in the book and she was white. Apart from that Tarantino went to great pains to ensure he was faithful to the book as it was one of his favorites growing up and he was almost reverential about Elmore Leonard. I read the book immediately before seeing the movie and it was pretty much identical. What changes did you notice?

BTW I loved the book, but didn't think it translated as well to the movies as I thought it would. To me it's meh.

:edit:

I did a quick search to see what the differences were and this is what I came up with

Key differences between Jackie Brown and Rum Punch

Jackie's character was known as Jackie Burke in the novel, but Jackie Brown in the film.

Jackie was originally white, not black, as is the case with the film.

Various characters underwent minor changes in the adaptation. For example, Melanie (portrayed in the film by the slim Bridget Fonda was originally not as thin and was described as having unnaturally large breasts. (See below).

As is the case with most adaptations, key events in the novel were overlooked. This includes a Ordell stealing guns with Louis from a neo-Nazi's house.

In the novel, Louis originally worked for Max Cherry.

The film moves the setting from Florida to Los Angeles and Ordell's money from Jamaica to Mexico.

Tarantino's screenplay versus Leonard's novel

Jackie Brown / Jackie Burke

Leonard: ...her neat rear end in the tan skirt...she surely didn't look forty-four, at least not from here...

Tarantino: Jackie Brown is a very attractive black woman in her mid forties, though she looks like she's in her mid thirties.

Ordell Robbie

Leonard: ...a light-skinned black guy...Ordell ran his hand carefully over his hair, feeling the hard set, ran it back to his pigtail braid and curled it between his fingers...

Tarantino: Ordell likes wearing clothes nice and likes wearing nice clothes.

...appeared much like the novel, though Tarantino droppped the "light-skinned black guy" part of the character.

Louis Gara

Leonard: ...dark-skinned white guy...

Tarantino: ...who looks like he does his shopping at the Salvation Army...white, also in his mid-forties...

Max Cherry

Leonard: ...appeared neat and clean-shaved, had his blue shirt open, no tie, good size shoulders on him. That dark, tough-looking type of guy like Louis, dark hair, only Max Cherry was losing his on top...

Tarantino: ..a regular-Joe-type white guy in his fifties...

Melanie

Leonard: The fine big girl had in thirteen years become bigger, show #### grown to circus #### but still okay, tan...

Tarantino: ...thirty-three, is a tanned, blonde, California beach bunny...

Retrieved from "http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.php/Rum_Punch_by_Elmore_Leonard"
:) Probably the biggest chang was Burke/Brown from white to black. I think QT did that just to satisfy his 'black fetish'. Yeah, I said it.

Call me crazy, but I think the last 10 minutes is one of the most satisfying movie endings ever. :lmao:
I think the ending would have been more satisfying/realistic if somehow Pitt and the other dude would have broken free of their handcuffs or whatever their restraints were, fashioned a table leg into a baseball bat and then beat the crap out the German dude who caught them.Having the German dude basically give up to a couple of Nazi haters after spending the enitire film painting him as some sort of Jew hunting genius was an epic let down.

"Hey, I've been hunting you guys the whole movie, but guess what... now that I have you I am going to set you guys free, turn myself over to you, and hope that you don't kill me."

I haven't seen a more unsatisfying ending since Jurasic Park I where the dinosaur comes out of no where to attack the other dinosaur just before one of the main characters was about to be eaten.

/rant over
Thanks for using the spoiler tags, JoeT. :lmao: I had been gearing up to see this and you RUINED IT. Not all of us have seen every movie so let's try and keep key points hidden, mkay?

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: Probably the biggest chang was Burke/Brown from white to black. I think QT did that just to satisfy his 'black fetish'. Yeah, I said it.
Maybe he felt bad about the "Dead :lmao: Storage" bit in Pulp Fiction, wanted to make amends to The Community.

Seaman Ropes said:
McJose said:
:goodposting: Probably the biggest chang was Burke/Brown from white to black. I think QT did that just to satisfy his 'black fetish'. Yeah, I said it.
Maybe he felt bad about the "Dead :thumbdown: Storage" bit in Pulp Fiction, wanted to make amends to The Community.
You have to admit that for a gawky white dude QT has a fascination with African-Americans.

Seaman Ropes said:
McJose said:
:bag: Probably the biggest chang was Burke/Brown from white to black. I think QT did that just to satisfy his 'black fetish'. Yeah, I said it.
Maybe he felt bad about the "Dead :lmao: Storage" bit in Pulp Fiction, wanted to make amends to The Community.
You have to admit that for a gawky white dude QT has a fascination with African-Americans.
He loved Pam Grier.Thought he could resurrect her career.
Tarantino has defended his use of the word by arguing that black audiences have an appreciation of his blaxploitation-influenced films that eludes some of his critics, and, indeed, that Jackie Brown, another oft-cited example, was primarily made for "black audiences:" To me the film is a black film. It was made for black audiences actually. It was made for everybody, but that was, pretty much, the "main" audience. If I had any of them in mind, I was thinking of that because I was always thinking of watching it in a black theatre. I didn't have audiences ridiculously in mind because I am the audience, but that works well for that too because I go to black theatres. To me it is a black film.
Not sure I buy that QuentinAlso
Tarantino feels free to play with the concept of black and white when it comes to race also. The frequent use of "######" and classic monologues like Dennis Hopper's "Sicilians are spawned by ######s" speech in True Romance [an early Tarantino script, sold for $30,000 to fund the making of Reservoir Dogs] have led to frequent allegations of racism. However Tarantino claims that by using such a loaded word so frequently and almost randomly (white characters are called ######s almost as often as black ones) he is actually trying to defuse the word of its power. ######, he claims, "is probably the most volatile word in the English language. My feeling is that any time a word is that powerful, you should start screaming it from the rooftops, take away that power." And, interestingly, almost every couple in Pulp Fiction is of mixed race or culture.

He loved Pam Grier.Thought he could resurrect her career.

Tarantino has defended his use of the word by arguing that black audiences have an appreciation of his blaxploitation-influenced films that eludes some of his critics, and, indeed, that Jackie Brown, another oft-cited example, was primarily made for "black audiences:" To me the film is a black film. It was made for black audiences actually. It was made for everybody, but that was, pretty much, the "main" audience. If I had any of them in mind, I was thinking of that because I was always thinking of watching it in a black theatre. I didn't have audiences ridiculously in mind because I am the audience, but that works well for that too because I go to black theatres. To me it is a black film.
Not sure I buy that QuentinAlso
Tarantino feels free to play with the concept of black and white when it comes to race also. The frequent use of "######" and classic monologues like Dennis Hopper's "Sicilians are spawned by ######s" speech in True Romance [an early Tarantino script, sold for $30,000 to fund the making of Reservoir Dogs] have led to frequent allegations of racism. However Tarantino claims that by using such a loaded word so frequently and almost randomly (white characters are called ######s almost as often as black ones) he is actually trying to defuse the word of its power. ######, he claims, "is probably the most volatile word in the English language. My feeling is that any time a word is that powerful, you should start screaming it from the rooftops, take away that power." And, interestingly, almost every couple in Pulp Fiction is of mixed race or culture.
And somehow, in a movie about WWII, Jews, and Nazis he found a way to include a black character.

Agreed, I liked the whole movie up to the ending, and found it leaving a bad taste from the let down. Still a good movie. Also, I'm a huge QT fan and really the only movie I didn't really like was Jackie Brown. Good parts but the story didn't grab me, maybe has to do with his material more than his direction? I don't know. The other movies move at acceptable paces using different devices to do so, but JB was just boring IMO and didn't identify with any of the characters. As I mentioned about 10 pages ago, I loved the tension in Inglorious B's and that and some of the direction of those scenes is what I reflect on. I really should rent it on DVD since it's been awhile.

I can't believe that Mélanie Laurent (Shoshanna) wasn't nominated for a Best Actress Oscar this year.
:gang1: Come on, man. This thing got all kinds of nominations. That dude that played Lando or whatever is being fawned over. But this chick's performance was forgettable.

I can't believe that Mélanie Laurent (Shoshanna) wasn't nominated for a Best Actress Oscar this year.
:goodposting: Come on, man. This thing got all kinds of nominations. That dude that played Lando or whatever is being fawned over. But this chick's performance was forgettable.
You are out of your mind.
3rd worst acting job in that movie next to Pitt and whoever played the Smokey the Jew and his over-the-top Bahstin accent.

Call me crazy, but I think the last 10 minutes is one of the most satisfying movie endings ever. :goodposting:
I think the ending would have been more satisfying/realistic if somehow Pitt and the other dude would have broken free of their handcuffs or whatever their restraints were, fashioned a table leg into a baseball bat and then beat the crap out the German dude who caught them.Having the German dude basically give up to a couple of Nazi haters after spending the enitire film painting him as some sort of Jew hunting genius was an epic let down."Hey, I've been hunting you guys the whole movie, but guess what... now that I have you I am going to set you guys free, turn myself over to you, and hope that you don't kill me."
:bag: I thought it worked. Landa was so obsessed with securing his place in history as the man who ended the war, that he made the fatal mistake of assuming the basterds would go along with his plan exactly as he mapped it out.
Thanks for using the spoiler tags, JoeT. :lmao: I had been gearing up to see this and you RUINED IT. Not all of us have seen every movie so let's try and keep key points hidden, mkay?
No offense, but if you haven't seen the movie, then get the hell out of the thread. :lmao:

Just watched it and I don't understand Tarantino's motivation for doing this one.

Seemed a bit indulgent with at least half the movie in other languages.

The story line was one of Tarantino's worst.

Pitt was okay in it but he hardly knocked that role out of the park. I do agree with any acclaim for Waltz, he was the bright spot in otherwise bad movie.

:shrug: Come on, man. This thing got all kinds of nominations. That dude that played Lando or whatever is being fawned over. But this chick's performance was forgettable.
You are out of your mind.
:excited: I thought she did a fine job. Nothing that really stood out for me, though, other than the fact that she's absolutely gorgeous. Certainly wasn't expecting a Best Actress nomination for her.

Saw it recently, liked it a lot. Hell my wife liked it a lot, and I mean, there were some pretty brutal scenes in there.

I thought the first scene was very well done. I thought bits of the movie were over the top, but overall, ranks just below PF and RD as my third favorite QT movie.

Call me crazy, but I think the last 10 minutes is one of the most satisfying movie endings ever. :shrug:
I think the ending would have been more satisfying/realistic if somehow Pitt and the other dude would have broken free of their handcuffs or whatever their restraints were, fashioned a table leg into a baseball bat and then beat the crap out the German dude who caught them.Having the German dude basically give up to a couple of Nazi haters after spending the enitire film painting him as some sort of Jew hunting genius was an epic let down."Hey, I've been hunting you guys the whole movie, but guess what... now that I have you I am going to set you guys free, turn myself over to you, and hope that you don't kill me."
:shrug: I thought it worked. Landa was so obsessed with securing his place in history as the man who ended the war, that he made the fatal mistake of assuming the basterds would go along with his plan exactly as he mapped it out.
Thanks for using the spoiler tags, JoeT. :football: I had been gearing up to see this and you RUINED IT. Not all of us have seen every movie so let's try and keep key points hidden, mkay?
No offense, but if you haven't seen the movie, then get the hell out of the thread. :)
JoeT,You have to put yourself in Landa's shoes. At that moment in time the Americans had already stormed the beaches and were making a push through France. Italy had shown to be no help and the Allied forces were making their way through Africa from the South. In the East the German Army was unable to defeat Russia. There was no way that Germany could win a two front War. Landa was smart enough to know military tactics and he's also smart enough to know that because of his assistance in exterminating the Jews that he would be tried and hung after the War was over. His one out to save his #### and put his name in the history books is to give up Hitler and end the War. He took it. It was the smart play.

Call me crazy, but I think the last 10 minutes is one of the most satisfying movie endings ever. :lmao:
I think the ending would have been more satisfying/realistic if somehow Pitt and the other dude would have broken free of their handcuffs or whatever their restraints were, fashioned a table leg into a baseball bat and then beat the crap out the German dude who caught them.Having the German dude basically give up to a couple of Nazi haters after spending the enitire film painting him as some sort of Jew hunting genius was an epic let down.

"Hey, I've been hunting you guys the whole movie, but guess what... now that I have you I am going to set you guys free, turn myself over to you, and hope that you don't kill me."

I haven't seen a more unsatisfying ending since Jurasic Park I where the dinosaur comes out of no where to attack the other dinosaur just before one of the main characters was about to be eaten.

/rant over
Thanks for using the spoiler tags, JoeT. :thumbup: I had been gearing up to see this and you RUINED IT. Not all of us have seen every movie so let's try and keep key points hidden, mkay?
lol

JoeT,You have to put yourself in Landa's shoes. At that moment in time the Americans had already stormed the beaches and were making a push through France. Italy had shown to be no help and the Allied forces were making their way through Africa from the South. In the East the German Army was unable to defeat Russia. There was no way that Germany could win a two front War. Landa was smart enough to know military tactics and he's also smart enough to know that because of his assistance in exterminating the Jews that he would be tried and hung after the War was over. His one out to save his #### and put his name in the history books is to give up Hitler and end the War. He took it. It was the smart play.
Just stop. The movie was fictional. It wasn't based on a shred of history. I don't have to put myself in anyone's shoes but my own. And my shoes say the ending was terrible. It wasted what was an otherwise decent fictional movie. The first 45 minutes were classic. The next hour was meh. The ending went over as well as poop in the punchbowl.

Users who are viewing this thread