What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leinart knows the Jets (1 Viewer)

I think in the context of what Leinart was speaking toward, he's 100% RIGHT. Curtis Martin is a household name to any NFL fan sure, but he's never been the face of the league and really has little notoriety outside of what he does on the field. Broadway Joe was transcendent. In fact, it's his impact off the field, in terms of brining a newfound attention to the league that is really what makes him a Hall of Famer.

I think in the context of what Leinart was speaking toward, he's 100% RIGHT. Curtis Martin is a household name to any NFL fan sure, but he's never been the face of the league and really has little notoriety outside of what he does on the field. Broadway Joe was transcendent. In fact, it's his impact off the field, in terms of brining a newfound attention to the league that is really what makes him a Hall of Famer.
I disagree. I think like Sweetness we'll see an enormous outpouring when he retires. I remember headband wearing dope McMahon and big mouthed Buddy getting more press than Walter but when he retired.....http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=transcendent

I'm not sure what definition of transcendent you're using, it's always been one of the more confusing words in our messed up english language (see link) to me.

If you mean that a pantyhose wearing braggart that rarely completed 50% of his passes or threw more TDs than INTs was a bigger figure in the press and that was an example of things to come. Then I agree completely, I can think of a handful of WRs that are more like Joe than Curtis.

In regards to the post as a whole, Curtis is a star. If Matt doesn't know him then THAT is what's wrong with young players today. If the press isn't doing it well then maybe Pete Carroll needs to talk to Matt about Curtis. Don't let them just read about guys like Owens.

Wow - no wonder people say Jets fans are horrible. You guys are ripping on him for recognizing the ony Superbowl-winning, HoF QB to ever play for the Jets.

The New York sack exchange with Gastineau and Klecko are names and faces no one remembers. Didn't Freeman McNeil bring a lawsuit against the league and is one of the main reasons for free agency today? Not a good memory, but a Jet memory.

Then there is Browning Nagle, who....ACK must kill those brain cells.

Namath got the MVP of the SB, the only QB to not throw for a TD and win the award. Oh how the times have changed.

If you mean that a pantyhose wearing braggart that rarely completed 50% of his passes or threw more TDs than INTs was a bigger figure in the press and that was an example of things to come. Then I agree completely, I can think of a handful of WRs that are more like Joe than Curtis.
Joe Namath is a star. Always was and always will be.He took an entire league and in one afternoon made it legit. AN ENTIRE LEAGUE. Against the mighty NFL. Talk to any of those old AFL guys and they'll tell you how important that one victory was.

It would be like Steve Young leading the USFL champions LA Express to a victory over the 49er's or Bears or Giants back in the day.

Throw on top of it, that he was the new anti-hero at a time in history when people in this country were looking for anti-hero's.

When you only use numbers to quantify a person's career, a person's life...you sometime miss the big picture.

Namath rocks...and to say he was a braggart (are you a braggart if you back up your mouth with your deeds?) or he was made by the press is just uninformed.

Joe Namath is a star. Always was and always will be.He took an entire league and in one afternoon made it legit. AN ENTIRE LEAGUE. Against the mighty NFL. Talk to any of those old AFL guys and they'll tell you how important that one victory was.

It would be like Steve Young leading the USFL champions LA Express to a victory over the 49er's or Bears or Giants back in the day.

Throw on top of it, that he was the new anti-hero at a time in history when people in this country were looking for anti-hero's.

When you only use numbers to quantify a person's career, a person's life...you sometime miss the big picture.

Namath rocks...and to say he was a braggart (are you a braggart if you back up your mouth with your deeds?) or he was made by the press is just uninformed.
I cant stand Namath, but you have to give him credit. The Leagues future was uncertain before Super Bowl III. By winning the game, Joe raised the stakes and made sure there would always be a level playing field in the NFL.

I cant stand Namath, but you have to give him credit. The Leagues future was uncertain before Super Bowl III. By winning the game, Joe raised the stakes and made sure there would always be a level playing field in the NFL.
Question: What is it about Namath that you can't stand? :confused:

To each his own. I grew up in NJ, I'm well aware of how NY/NJ folks loved the guy. I don't but.....As for your Steve Young comment, I'm pretty confident the Jersey Generals could have beaten any NFL team on any given Sunday (1 win) and made a strong run at the Supe. Too many became fine pros to not think it's possible. Regardless, I do think Joe did a wonderful job for the league and the AFL/NFL that year. I just don't like how he did it.

Users who are viewing this thread