What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAD's ROUND 2!! # 1's have been posted!! (3 Viewers)

Jimmy Buffet-OZ-Nobody from Nowhere

Probably one of his least recognized songs; the next 5 will all be much more popular (#1 may not be).

Among the more recent of his albums, Buffet Hotel is his twenty-seventh studio album released on December 8, 2009.

I'm nobody from nowhere
You'd have ever heard of anyway
Ain't no city way down there
You coulda heard a pin drop
Any time of day.

But I'm not sorry
I'm not sad
Though it might take a whole day
Just to drive down there and visit
Not to worry
Not too bad
Nothin' much to do
But that ain't a hardship really
When you're waiting for a car to drive by
Just so we can wave hello hello hello hello

Staring at a starry night sky
Dreaming up some place to go
'Til that day comes
I'll be here
Alone without a care
Nobody, nobody from nowhere

I'm nobody from nowhere
You'd have ever heard of anyhow
Ain't no reason?
You should care
There's a P.O. box and 4-way stop
And farms and fields and cows and
We're just waiting for a car to drive by
Just so you can wave hello hello hello hello
Staring at a starry night sky
Dreaming of some place to go.
'Til that day comes
I'll be here
Alone without a care
Nobody, nobody from nowhere

One of the great things about Jimmy, imo anyway, is you almost never have to look too deep into the hidden meanings of the lyrics. Just a simple song about small town life. He could have collaborated with Johnny Cougar on this one. 😉

Last edited:
Back when I was a kid I was lucky enough to access (meaning ruin) the vinyl collection of my older siblings and parents/grandparents. My brother and sister mainly had 45rpm singles they bought at the local dime store. My parents/grandparents had some 33rpm vinyl + some scary fast 78rpms that sounded awful and could probably kill someone if you were a disc throwing ninja.

Here are some 7/8s that I like:

Prince - Let's Go Crazy
Talking Heads - Cities
David Bowie - 1984
Tom Petty - Breakdown
Faith No More - From Out Of Nowhere
Royksopp & Susanne Sundfor - Oh, Lover
Buffalo Springfield - For What's It's Worth
David Bowie - Heroes
John Mellencamp - Paper In Fire 🔥

Let's Go Crazy, Paul Revere, Run, and Breakdown may be the best ever by Prince, Beasties, Collective Soul, and Petty and that's just among the few that I recognize on this list

Known-to-me favorites from the #7s:

Let's Go Crazy
Are You Experienced? (Belly version)
Cities -- bonus points for Phish cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWmLI72Iv-8
La Bamba
Just a Song Before I Go -- the highest-charting CSN song, it hit #2 in 1977. Graham Nash wrote it in less than 20 minutes on a dare from someone who told him he couldn't write a song before his ride to the airport arrived.
I'm So Excited
Check It Out -- will the third and best hit from Lonesome Jubilee come next?
Exploder
Jailbreak
Head Over Heels -- my favorite of their big hits
I Want You to Want Me -- still shocked this got no votes in the US Countdown
Sam Stone -- the character studies on Prine's first album are stunning
Breakdown -- My #2 Petty song, and my first-round pick in the Petty song draft I did on another board because my #1 was taken before my slot.
All the Old Showstoppers
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer
Long Live Rock 'N Roll

7. Nina Simone, Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood (from Broadway-Blues-Ballads, 1964)

Another one of Nina Simone’s most famous songs. This song was inspired by some bickering between composer Horace Ott and his girlfriend. Ott arranged and conducted a number of songs on the album that this song appears on.

It went to become a heavily-covered classic. The Animals version of it is probably the most famous cover. The Financial Times has a pretty good history of the song: Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood — Nina Simone made it a classic, others have followed. As the author writes in there, I think Nina Simone captures the tone of the lyrics oscillating between defiance and regret. Defiance appears in a lot of Nina Simone’s works (particularly in her civil rights songs), which is one of the reasons the song works so great for her, and, as the article mentions, her own troubled marriage.

All the emotional turbulence that the composer Horace Ott and his girlfriend Gloria Caldwell had endured as a result of their bickering must have seemed worthwhile the moment they first heard Nina Simone perform “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood”. After all, it was one of their lovers’ quarrels that had inspired Ott to pen the melody, and chorus, for a song that would become a classic, and an apologia for anyone who had ever lost their cool in the heat of the moment.

Needing someone to flesh out the rest of the track, Ott passed it on to collaborators Bennie Benjamin and Sol Marcus, who were working on Simone’s next album. Broadway — Blues — Ballads may have been a rather bloodless follow-up to the searingly political In Concert, but its first song ranks among the singer’s very best. Simone had the perfect voice to deliver lyrics which oscillate between defiance and regret. Intensity meets vulnerability in every line she sings, not least in the refrain of “I’m just a soul whose intentions are good” — simultaneously a bold declaration and a desperate plea for forgiveness. And the brilliance of Ott’s unhurried arrangement — layered with plaintive strings, choral singers and the ghostly twinkling of a harp — lies not only in the hypnotising spell it casts during the verses, but the way the music cuts at the end of each chorus to reveal the power of Simone’s raw, soul-baring vocals on their own.

But maybe she was channelling another soul here. Knowledge of Simone’s marriage to the monstrously brutish Andrew Stroud gives some of the song’s lyrics — such as “Sometimes it seems all I have to do is worry, and then you’re bound to see my other side”— a darker resonance as they evoke the kind of self-exonerating rhetoric often wielded by manipulative abusers.

Such unsettling interpretations don’t lend themselves quite so readily to the 1960s soft-rock cover by The Animals, who translated Simone’s brooding version into a more commercial, upbeat tune. Gone were the orchestrations, the ethereal harp and the emotionally charged vocals; in came a catchy guitar-and-organ riff — devised around a violin melody from the outro of Simone’s original — which immediately hooked listeners on both sides of the Atlantic. Frontman Eric Burdon was so taken by the song that he would return to it a decade later, this time releasing a wearingly digressive eight-and-a-half-minute hard-rock rendition...

With each Prince song that appears I become more confident/hopeful (hopefident?) that scoob and I are on the same page for #1.

Talking Heads
#7 Cities

Anything from this point forward could have been my #1. But this happens to be where Cities ended up when I submitted the final list. This is the 4th song from Fear of Music which, for me at least, is Talking Heads' most underrated album.
I love the slow build up.

From Songfacts:
This is as close to a touring song as the Talking Heads ever got. Birmingham, Alabama; El Paso, Texas; and Memphis, Tennessee all get mentions in addition to London. But unlike most musical travelogues, the lyrics is rather abstruse, with David Byrne singing that Memphis is home of both Graceland and the ancient Greeks. By this time, the Talking Heads had toured extensively, but hadn't played any of the cities mentioned in the song except for London. They never did play Memphis or El Paso, but did play Birmingham in 1979 after the album was released.

There are a lot of rich people in Birmingham
A lot of ghosts in a lot of houses
Look over there!...A dry ice factory
A good place to get some thinking done

Beastie Boys #7 - Paul Revere
Album - Licensed to Ill (1986)

Peacockin'
Ad-Rock: 2, MCA: 6, Mike D: 4, Beastie Boys: 1, Greater NYC: 0

Name Rockin'
Paul Revere

Rhyme Squawkin'
Riding across the land, kicking up sand
Sherriff's posse's on my tail 'cause I'm in demand

Yo Mama Talkin'
A classic tale about some hard-core bandits who are really thirsty for beer and like to play wiffle ball.

This was their second single but really the one that put them on the mainstream hip-hop map. Some of the other big License to Ill songs got stale to me after a while, but this powerhouse has always stayed awesome.

Röyksopp
7 - Daddy’s Groove - Vocals by Röyksopp

Year - 2013
Appears on - Late Night Tales: Röyksopp
Vocalist - Röyksopp
Key Lyric - Dinner's in the oven
Kids are in their bed
Wife is in the shower
Song is in my head
Daddy's groove
Daddy's groove

Notes
1- This track never fails to relax me. Just a smooth groove. So peaceful and i probably have listened 10 times in the lead up to the 7’s being released. Might listen another 10 times.

2- We have already seen Ice Machine from this album, the Depeche Mode cover which saw the band introduced to Susanne Sundfør. Just meant to be a quick get together of 2 of Norways biggest artists. Turned out to be so much more.

3- Once again I will highlight the This Mortal Coil song on this album sung by Elisabeth Fraser “Til I Lose Control”. I just found out its a cover of an Emmylou Harris song. Amazing rendition.

4- This album is such a stunning and eclectic mix. Beautiful suited for the purposes of the Late Night Tales. Benedict Cumberbatch starts and ends the CD

1. Röyksopp – Daddy’s Groove (Exclusive New Track)
2. Rare Bird – Passing Through
3. Little River Band – Light Of Day
4. Tuxedomoon - In A Manner Of Speaking
5. Vangelis - Blade Runner Blues
6. Röyksopp – Ice Machine (Exclusive Depeche Mode Cover Version)
7. Johann Johannsson – Odi Et Amo
8. F.R.David – Music
9. Prelude – After The Goldrush
10. Richard Schneider Jr – Hello Beach Girls
11. Acker Bilk – Stranger On The Shore
12. Thomas Dolby – Budapest By Blimp
13. Byrne & Barnes - Love You Out Of Your Mind
14. Andreas Vollenweider - Hands And Clouds
15. John Martyn – Small Hours
16. XTC – The Somnabulist
17. This Mortal Coil - 'Til I Gain Control
18. Popol Vuh – Aguirre I Lacrime di Rei
19. Benedict Cumberbatch – Flat Of Angles - Part 2 (Exclusive Spoken Word Piece)

Running Vocal Count
Röyksopp - 7
Robyn - 5
Susanne Sundfør - 4
Karin Dreijer - 2
Maurissa Rose - 1
Gunhild Ramsay Kovacs - 1
Alison Goldfrapp - 1
Jamie Irrepressible - 1
Karen Harding - 1
Kate Havnevik - 1
Sample - 1
Instrumental - 3

Where to find
Melody A.M - 1
The Understanding - 2
Röyksopp’s Night Out - 1
Back to Mine Series - 1
Junior - 2
Senior - 1
Late Night Tales Series - 2
Do It Again EP - 3
The Inevitable End - 2
Profound Mysteries I - 0
Profound Mysteries II - 2
Profound Mysteries III - 5
Other/Non Album Songs - 3

Year
1999 - 1
2001 - 0
2002 - 1
2005 - 2
2006 - 1
2007 - 1
2008 - 0
2009 - 2
2010 - 1
2013 - 2
2014 - 4
2016 - 2
2022 - 8

Next up we return to the Junior album with a song i just didnt get until i saw it live.
Due to a heavy sample of Parliaments Do that Stuff, the songwriting credits feature George Clinton, JrGarry M. ShiderBernard B. WorrellRöyksopp

Appears on - Late Night Tales: Röyksopp

I love this DJ series and always discover something interesting on them.
I cant speak for others in the series, but this one was loving curated.
The sleeve notes go into great depth about why each song was chosen.

Im not the biggest LRB fan, but their song slips in seamlessly and fits the mood.
If others in the series have as much care put into them as this one, then definitely worth checking out.

7. Down in the Tube Station at Midnight
Album: All Mod Cons (1978)
Released as a single? Yes (UK #15)

The last track, second single and best song of All Mod Cons represented a major leap in songwriting and arranging ability for Paul Weller and The Jam. Indeed, IMO it was their best song up to this point, as my top 6 were all released later. Yet we almost never got to hear it. During recording, Weller was dissatisfied with the arrangement and wanted to scrap the track, but producer Vic Coppersmith-Heaven talked him out of it.

The music is more dynamic than anything the band had recorded to that point, with great use of sound effects, fade ins and outs, and atmosphere, without sacrificing the driving rock that had been the band's calling card. Bruce Foxton's jumping bassline is a particular highlight, as it both propels the song and provides a countermelody for Weller's vocal.

The lyrics were also Weller's best to this point, telling a harrowing tale of a gang beating on the subway, possibly with racial overtones:

The distant echo -
of faraway voices boarding faraway trains
To take them home to
the ones that they love and who love them forever
The glazed, dirty steps - repeat my own and reflect my thoughts
Cold and uninviting, partially naked
Except for toffee wrappers and this morning's papers
Mr. Jones got run down
Headlines of death and sorrow - they tell of tomorrow
Madmen on the rampage
And I'm down in the tube station at midnight

I fumble for change - and pull out the Queen
Smiling, beguiling
I put in the money and pull out a plum
Behind me
Whispers in the shadows - gruff blazing voices
Hating, waiting
"Hey boy" they shout "have you got any money?"
And I said "I've a little money and a takeaway curry,
I'm on my way home to my wife.
She'll be lining up the cutlery,
You know she's expecting me
Polishing the glasses and pulling out the cork"

I first felt a fist, and then a kick
I could now smell their breath
They smelt of pubs and Wormwood Scrubs
And too many right wing meetings
My life swam around me
It took a look and drowned me in its own existence
The smell of brown leather
It blended in with the weather
It filled my eyes, ears, nose and mouth
It blocked all my senses
Couldn't see, hear, speak any longer
I said I was down in the tube station at midnight

The last thing that I saw
As I lay there on the floor
Was "Jesus Saves" painted by an atheist nutter
And a British Rail poster read "Have an Awayday - a cheap holiday -
Do it today!"
I glanced back on my life
And thought about my wife
'Cause they took the keys - and she'll think it's me
The wine will be flat and the curry's gone cold
I'm down in the tube station at midnight
Don't want to go down in a tube station at midnight

Think about what this passage means. It's absolutely horrific and it comes AFTER the beating.

I glanced back on my life
And thought about my wife
'Cause they took the keys - and she'll think it's me

In its ranking of Weller's 30 best songs, The Guardian listed Down in the Tube Station at Midnight at #16. What they said:

One thing that made The Jam so compelling was the sound of Weller growing up in public. The jump from A Bomb in Wardour Street’s shock-horror ramalama to Down in the Tube Station at Midnight – a tightly written short story with a horrifying twist, the music leaping from tensely evocative to cathartic release – is vast.

Music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf4EFDGP4yg
Live version from 1979 that was the B-side of the import single of That's Entertainment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmKEzoiGf1I
Live Jam version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRpTINONNc8
Fire and Skill 1979 disc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DzcLLVDmFk
Fire and Skill 1980 disc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dghGih-P45A
Fire and Skill 1981 disc (paired with The Gift): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovJMxDUxOU
Fire and Skill 1982 disc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVYhcZhA_JM
Live version from 1979 included on the super deluxe edition of Setting Sons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz-YyZObJvo

Cover #7: Heatwave [sic]
Album track, Setting Sons (1979)
Writers: Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland
Original or best known version: Martha and the Vandellas

Setting Sons was supposed to be a concept album, but ended up consisting of a majority of songs that had nothing to do with the original concept, including a rearrangement of a prior B-side and a cover, this one. (While identified as "Heat Wave" on the original and most covers, it is labeled as "Heatwave" on Setting Sons.) The early Motown stomper made famous by Martha and the Vandellas gets a brisk workout here that hearkens back to the In the City-era reinterpretations of the original Mods' reinterpretations of R&B. (Yes, it was covered by The Who, on their second LP, A Quick One.) The difference is that while The Jam's performance still slams, the cover is played and arranged more deftly than what the band was capable of a couple of years before, with piano and horns accentuating but not overwhelming the work of the main trio. Because of the disparity of its source material, Setting Sons is kind of a disjointed album, but Heatwave doesn't disrupt the flow because it closes the album. It also occasionally appeared in their live sets and was included on Live Jam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tasAH-t_l0.

At #6, a song consisting of observations Paul Weller made while drunk that is considered to be one of his most profound compositions.

Last edited:
Mike ShinodaJust Win BabyPlace To Start / Over Again

I cheated a bit here and chose two songs together, because IMO it makes sense to play them together. These are the 4th and 5th songs I chose in my top 31 from Mike's album Post Traumatic. I think these songs do an incredible job of conveying Mike's grieving reaction to Chester's death.

Mike said this about Place To Start:

"The demo of this song began during the recording sessions for (the Linkin Park album) "One More Light." I had almost made it the intro of that album. Something about making it the intro of my album seemed right. I revised some of the lyrics to reflect where I was at when I began writing, after Chester had passed."

The end of the Place To Start track features voicemails from three people: Linkin Park videographer Mark Fiore, Linkin Park bandmate Phoenix, and Mike's friend, Cory Sandelius, all checking on Mike following Chester's death.

Mike said this about Over Again:

While we were rehearsing for the tribute show for Chester at The Hollywood Bowl, we had to re-learn all our songs without him. The repetition of the songs is what inspired “Over Again.” When we lose someone, we have constant reminders of them in everyday life. I wrote and recorded verse one the day we played the Bowl show. I had an intense fear of doing that show, because I thought, at any moment, I could get overwhelmed by what had happened and wouldn’t be able to continue. There were dozens of guests and millions of people watching; I didn’t want to let everyone down."

Mike stressed out the lines "Well thank you genius, you think it'll be a challenge, Only my life's work hanging in the ****ing balance" saying, "This might be the most important line in the song. It’s obviously horrible to lose a friend. It’s worse to lose someone you’re very very close to, in this case a best friend / brother. But to take it a step even further, I also lost someone who my whole life’s work was tied to–someone I built a whole career with. As I was writing these lyrics, I felt like my identity was in danger of being lost."

Chino Moreno of the Deftones said this about Over Again:

"This is really a different record for Mike. My man wrote a verse before he went to that show and then wrote the second verse after he got back from the show. It's just this visceral reaction in real time. You have maybe a little bit of guilt about doing it. You're uncertain if it's OK to be creative. But music is a comfort — it's like a blanket for me. And I know it is for Mike too. We talked a lot about letting it happen and not feeling bad about it."

When I first listened to Post Traumatic, these songs just grabbed me. They are emotional in a way most songs I listen to are not.

Hope you enjoy them, despite the somber tone of the songs.

Tears for Fears
#7 - Head Over Heels

Appears - Songs from the Big Chair
Year - 1985
UK Highest Chart Position - #12
US Highest Chart Position - #3
Key Lyric - My mother and my brothers used to breathing clean air (Nothing ever changes when you're acting your age)
And dreaming I'm a doctor (Nothing gets done when you feel like a baby)
It's hard to be a man when there's a gun in your hand (Nothing ever changes when you're acting your age)
Oh I feel so

Notes
1- I have an old VHS tape of In My Minds Eye, a Live recording officially released in 1983 to promote the Hurting LP. Head over Heels in early form is on this tape, along with Broken, also on Songs from the Big Chair. They sort of meld into each other and do again on the LP. I got the VhS tape when it was released so it was odd to see this song released as the third single from Songs from the Big Chair and be so successful.

2- This song propelled the album from successful into multi platinum juggernaut.

3- The New Morrissey Express (NME) called Songs from the Big Chair "a calculated and brilliant peak, a quintessence of polished pop putty ... perfect at its shimmering surface, worthless to its craven core." He described it as a descendant of 10cc's The Original Soundtrack (1975) and Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)–"a product of obsessional care and attention to (often unnecessary) detail."

4- It is basically a romantic love song and one of the most simple tracks that Tears for Fears have ever recorded. It is a romance song that goes a bit perverse at the end.
— Roland Orzabal

Where to find
The Hurting - 5
Songs from the Big Chair - 3
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 1
Raoul and the Kings of Spain - 1
Everybody Loves a Happy Ending - 5
Ready Boy and Girls - 1
The Tipping Point - 4
Greatest Hits only - 1
B- Sides - Other/Non Album Songs - 4

Year
1981 - 2
1982 - 1
1983 - 5
1984 - 0
1985 - 2
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 1
1995 - 2
2004 - 5
2014 - 1
2017 - 1
2021 - 1
2022 - 3

Next up, another big hit. A nod to another artist featured in this countdown is referenced here.

Tears for Fears
#7 - Head Over Heels

Year - 1985
Key Lyric - My mother and my brothers used to breathing clean air (Nothing ever changes when you're acting your age)
It's hard to be a man when there's a gun in your hand (Nothing ever changes when you're acting your age)
Oh I feel so

Notes
1- I have an old VHS tape of In My Minds Eye, a Live recording officially released in 1983 to promote the Hurting LP. Head over Heels in early form is on this tape, along with Broken, also on Songs from the Big Chair. They sort of meld into each other and do again on the LP. I got the VhS tape when it was released so it was odd to see this song released as the third single from Songs from the Big Chair and be so successful.

2- This song propelled the album from successful into multi platinum juggernaut.

3- The New Morrissey Express (NME) called Songs from the Big Chair "a calculated and brilliant peak, a quintessence of polished pop putty ... perfect at its shimmering surface, worthless to its craven core." He described it as a descendant of 10cc's The Original Soundtrack (1975) and Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)–"a product of obsessional care and attention to (often unnecessary) detail."

4- It is basically a romantic love song and one of the most simple tracks that Tears for Fears have ever recorded. It is a romance song that goes a bit perverse at the end.
— Roland Orzabal

Where to find
The Hurting - 5
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 1
Ready Boy and Girls - 1
The Tipping Point - 4
Greatest Hits only - 1

Year
1981 - 2
1982 - 1
1983 - 5
1984 - 0
1985 - 2
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 1
1995 - 2
2004 - 5
2014 - 1
2017 - 1
2021 - 1
2022 - 3

Next up, another big hit. A nod to another artist featured in this countdown is referenced here.
This is my favorite TFF song.

Tears for Fears
#7 - Head Over Heels

Year - 1985
Oh I feel so

Notes

— Roland Orzabal

Where to find
The Hurting - 5
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 1
Ready Boy and Girls - 1
The Tipping Point - 4
Greatest Hits only - 1

Year
1981 - 2
1982 - 1
1983 - 5
1984 - 0
1985 - 2
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 1
1995 - 2
2004 - 5
2014 - 1
2017 - 1
2021 - 1
2022 - 3

This is my favorite TFF song.
ditto. :heart:

#8 Today Belongs to the Light (off Unida Cantina, 2011)

In the arms of a bright and rising day
We see all the zombies crawl away
The motorcade is rattling out of sight
The dark parade will fade into the night
Because today belongs to the light

(Youtube Version) Today Belongs to the Light
(Live Version) Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers -- Today Belongs to the Light

This time it’s Clif Norrell on trumpet for the album version, who also helped with the mixing. He’s been a part of a few RCPM albums (and the 2nd one from the Refreshments), along with a few other artists.

Why I chose this:
Right from the start, there’s a soft, rather ethereal to this song. That changes later on, but it’s a different experience for sure. There’s a reggae influence to this one, too. Clyne has mentioned realizing while (or shortly) after writing this tune, that he was doing so on Bob Marley’s birthday. So likely even some subconscious inspiration at work there.

Mostly, though? This song simply sticks with me. In other words, to no surprise we’re getting to the point where I really love the songs and most of them could compete for the #2 spot (#1 being rather fixed in my mind). Also where I’m almost surprised that it hasn’t appeared on a soundtrack somewhere. Then again, that’s the band’s independence working against them, I’m sure.

Anyway, at #6 we have a title track that’s a love letter… of sorts. See you then!

• Song: Where The Devil Don’t Stay
  • Album: The Dirty South
  • Released: 2004
  • Lead Vocals: Mike Cooley

Adapted from a poem written by Mike Cooley’s uncle, “Where the Devil Don’t Stay” is a driving folk-inflected fable of backwoods gamblers. Cooley’s pleading vocals hold the song together over intense slide guitar licks and a frantic overdriven solo at the end. The track opens the 2004 album The Dirty South, and it foreshadows the album’s more urgent, driving sound. It’s a great example of how well the three guitar format worked for the band.

Check It Out- John Mellencamp
from The Lonesome Jubilee Album

Check it Out Is the 2nd of 3 songs from the Lonesome Jubilee. It was a top 20 hit for Mellencamp peaking at #14. 25 years ago this song MIGHT have cracked the top 20 for me... but now that Im on the doorstep of 50. .. this song has so much more meaning to me. It Its such a beautiful and emotionally powerful song. The hook, the melancholy of the fiddle, and lyrics are some of the best of Mellencamp's entire catalog.

I am SOOO far behind on listening to playlist... no excuses... just life doing what it does so Im going to try and hammer out a couple today and hopefully get caught up this week...

Round 20 Known favs:

Swamp- Talking Heads
Body Movin' Beastie Boys
Five Years- Bowie
Break it Down Again- Tears for Fears
Lake Marie- John Prine- LOVE LOVE This one!

Unknown favs from this rd
Angel- Belly
Soon we'll be found-Sia
Ashes to Ashes- Faith No more
Got to Give it up- Thin Lizzy
Reunion- Collective Soul

on to 19s

round 19

Known favs:
Man all these could be in my top 10s... great round!

Golden Years- Bowie
Steller -Incubus
Be Yourself- Audioslave
Song for the Dumped- Bed Folds Five
Even the Losers- Petty

Unknown Favs:

A Little Honey- Nathaniel Rateliff
Home- Collective Soul- I gotta give these guys a chance again, enjoyed last couple songs
Woke up Hurting- Frightened Rabbit
I shall be Released- Nina Simone- just beautiful
Nobody's Baby Now- Nick Cave- I know very little of his work, but I REALLY enjoyed this one

on to the 18s

Tonight's song is the heaviest of the playlist as far as tone and growls. The main singer here is from another band, Neurosis who are basically Mastodon's metal heroes. The lead singer also lost somebody to suicide and since this song was about Brann's sister who died by suicide at 11 they asked him to sing on the track with Brann. It was touching watching the videos on making the album and just how much the other 3 wanted to have everything perfect for Brann and I think all that emotion comes through on the track and it never fails to make me tear up a bit when I listen.

I thought I would give a little context to the track. In the end I thought it was the best fit for me on the playlist and I think I was avoiding the emotion of the song. For a bonus, I will also post the song that it booted out - ironically, a cover and instrumental. Two of my least favorite things. Mostly I just wanted to take a poke at Lars and say it's refreshing to hear that tune with a good drummer. :lol:

Orion on Youtube
Orion on Spotify

Tonight's song is the heaviest of the playlist as far as tone and growls. The main singer here is from another band, Neurosis who are basically Mastodon's metal heroes. The lead singer also lost somebody to suicide and since this song was about Brann's sister who died by suicide at 11 they asked him to sing on the track with Brann. It was touching watching the videos on making the album and just how much the other 3 wanted to have everything perfect for Brann and I think all that emotion comes through on the track and it never fails to make me tear up a bit when I listen.

I thought I would give a little context to the track. In the end I thought it was the best fit for me on the playlist and I think I was avoiding the emotion of the song. For a bonus, I will also post the song that it booted out - ironically, a cover and instrumental. Two of my least favorite things. Mostly I just wanted to take a poke at Lars and say it's refreshing to hear that tune with a good drummer. :lol:

Orion on Youtube
Orion on Spotify

Is there supposed to be a singer on this one?

Orion on Youtube
Orion on Spotify

Is there supposed to be a singer on this one?
Sorry, these no. I was more warning people of the track coming up tonight on the official playlist and the growls. Orion is just a fun bonus.

Round 18

Known Favs:

Feed the Tree- Belly- Always liked this one
Cochise-Audioslave- My favorite Audioslave song LOVE it.
Stop dragging my Hear Around- Tom Petty- Petty and Nicks... how can you go wrong?
Banditos- Roger Clyne- Man I LOVE this song!
I Only Want You- Eagles of Death Metal- I didnt know I knew this one till I heard it... then it rocked me and I liked it!

Unknown Favs:

High Ticket Attractions- The New Pornographers- my favorite by them thus far
Those Anarcho Punks are Mysterious- Against me- wow this is great
Smith and Jones Forever- Silver Jews- my favorite new to me this round.
Danko/Manuel- Drive by Truckers- really like these guys

17s Tomorrow

Selected favorites from the #7s. Continuing the super-busy part of my life for roughly another week or so, but at least I have Monday to catch up and listen to great music! As noted, this round is overloaded with great songs I recognize, plus many new ones that I really enjoyed. So much that I couldn’t resist putting in 6 per section. Shuffled per usual.

Familiar songs:
Run - Collective Soul - Probably my #2 song from them (#1 is yet to be seen…)
Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears
Paul Revere - Beastie Boys
Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy
Just a Song Before I Go - CSN
I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick

New discoveries:
Andromeda - Mastodon
Madonna of the Wasps - Neko Case
Down in the Tube Station at Midnight - The Jam
Rocklandwonderland - Kim Mitchell
Love Don’t - Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
Ascending Forth - Black Midi

Shuffle Adventures:
Shuffle gave me Rainbow before Sia and Tom Petty (and the Heartbreakers). Three songs I know (Sia’s mostly from work, but still) and very much enjoy. “Breakdown” is probably my favorite of the three, but it’s a close call.

#6's PLAYLIST
#6 -
PrinceRamsay Hunt ExperienceDelirious
Tanya DonellyplinkoMoonbeam Monkey
Beautysleep, 2002
Talking Headskupcho1The Big Country
Sia FurlerScoresmanThe Greatest
Los LoboseephusLa Pistola Y El Corazón
The Seldom SceneCharlie SteinerAfter Midnight
Kid RocksnellmanSingle Father
Against Me!scorchyBaby, I'm An Anarchist
MastodonKarmaPolice Crack the Skye
Neko CaseMister CIADuchess
Faith No MoreJBBreakfastClubWhat a Day
black midiJuxtatarotDucter
Nina SimoneDon QuixoteAin’t Got No - I Got Life (Single Version), from ‘Nuff Said!
Beastie BoysYo MamaPass the Mic
Drive-By TruckersDr. OctopusMy Sweet Annette
Jimmy Buffet-OZ-Son of a son of a sailor
The JamPip's InvitationThat's Entertainment
RöyksoppJMLs secret identity6 - Happy Up Here - Vocals by Röyksopp
Nick Cave and the Bad SeedssalterifficDig, Lazarus, Dig !!!
CSNYjwbGuinevere
Roger ClyneMt. ManSonoran Hope and Madness
David BermanThe Dreaded MarcoTennessee
David BowieBinky the DoormatZiggy Stardust
Pointer SistersMrs. RannousSlow Hand

IncubusMAC_32Oil & Water
John MellencamptuffnuttPink Houses

Sufjan Stevens Ilov80sBack to Oz
Mike ShinodaJust Win BabyBlackout
Chris Cornell Raging Weasel Say Hello 2 Heaven
Josh HommetitusbrambleGo With The Flow
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night SweatsAAABatteriesNothing to Show
Kim MitchellSullieWorld's Such A Wonder
Thin LizzyzamboniWaiting For An Alibi
Collective SoulfalguyDecember
Tears for FearsJohn Maddens LunchboxSowing the Seeds of Love (Vocals - Roland Verse, Curt Chorus)
Cheap TrickFairWarningDream Police
John Prinelandrys hatParadise

Ben FoldsHov34Mess
Tom PettyZegras11I Won't Back Down
Scott Hutchison snevenelevenMy Backwards Walk
The New PornographersNorthern VoiceTestament to Youth in Verse
John Lee HookerDrIan MalcolmI'm in the Mood

A genuinely sexy duet with Bonnie Raitt.
Rainbow Sam Quentin Tarot Woman
Pyotr Ilyich TchaikovskyzazaleSymphony No. 5 In E Minor, Op. 64, TH.29: 4. Finale (Andante maestoso - Allegro vivace)

Tears for Fears
#6 - Sowing the Seeds of Love

Appears - The Seeds of Love
Year - 1989
UK Highest Chart Position - #5
US Highest Chart Position - #2
Key Lyric - High time we made a stand
And shook up the views of the common man
And the love train rides from coast to coast
DJ's the man we love the most
Could you be, could you be squeaky clean
And smash any hope of democracy?
As the headline says you're free to choose
There's egg on your face and mud on your shoes
One of these days they're gonna call it the blues, yeah, yeah
Sowing the seeds of love, seeds of love (Anything is possible when you're sowing the seeds of love)
Sowing the seeds
Sowing the seeds of love (Anything is possible)
Seeds of love
Sowing the seeds of love
Sowing the seeds
I spy tears in their eyes
They look to the skies for some kind of divine intervention
Food goes to waste
So nice to eat, so nice to taste
Politician granny with your high ideals
Have you no idea how the majority feels?
So without love and a promised land
We're fools to the rules of a government plan
Kick out the Style, bring back The Jam

Notes

1- This os one of those rare songs i know the lyrics word for word. Pet Shop Boys West End Girls is another. Not a lyrical person at all.

2- Kick out the Style, Bring back the Jam is a reference to Paul Weller, his politics and musical choices

3- Politician Granny is Margaret Thatcher who was parts loved and parts despised by the population. “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead” doesnt go to number one when you die for just anybody. The campaign was countered by one involving "I'm in Love with Margaret Thatcher" (led by the lead singer of its performers, Notsensibles), which charted at number 35

4- Orzabal on the criticism that "Seeds" is a naive song: "I don't have any problem with naivety. People, especially in England, have a tremendous problem with vision and creativity because it's intangible and because they may not themselves be able to materialize their vision, to earth their vision. So I don't have a problem with naivety or the archetype of love because from writing to recording, I'm turning the intangible into the tangible. So if something's naive and full of hope, then if you can make it happen it's fair enough."

Where to find
The Hurting - 5
The Seeds of Love - 1
Elemental - 1
Ready Boy and Girls - 1
The Tipping Point - 4
Greatest Hits only - 1

Year
1981 - 2
1982 - 1
1983 - 5
1984 - 0
1985 - 2
1986 - 1
1989 - 1
1993 - 1
1995 - 2
2004 - 5
2014 - 1
2017 - 1
2021 - 1
2022 - 3

Next up, the big hits keep flooding in. I think we all know it. Or you’re deaf. Ubiquitous.

Beastie Boys #6 - Pass the Mic
Album - Check Your Head (1992)

Peacockin'
Ad-Rock: 4, MCA: 5, Mike D: 4, Beastie Boys: 0, Greater NYC: 0

Name Rockin'
Jimmy Walker, Clyde, Stevie

Rhyme Squawkin'
So what you sayin'? I explode on sight
I'm like Jimmy Walker, I'm Dy-no-mite!

Yo Mama Talkin'
This is the BBoys at their rawest, free stylinest, peacockinest best. Plus they had the courage to rhyme commercial with commercial. True visionaries. The Jimmy Walker sound bite is one of my favorites.

This is one of those songs I still remember hearing for the first time (stoned playing dunk hoops with my buddies after breaking into the local elementary school playground with the 9 foot baskets).

Well everybody rapping like it's a commercial
Acting like life is a big commercial

This was played out my boarding school room repeatedly during my postgraduate year. I knew the Beasties were back and relevant with these tracks and I played them endlessly. Check Your Head indeed.

Jimmy Buffet-OZ-Son of a son of a sailor

Where it all ends I can't fathom my friends
If I knew I might toss out my anchor
So I cruise along always searchin' for songs
Not a lawyer a thief or a banker…

Many of his songs give a strong sense of nostalgia, appreciation for the past, and our families histories. This is one of the more sentimental.

Opening track for Jimmy’s 7th and one of his best known albums. The album would hit #6 on the country billboard chart.

They played this song during their only appearance on Saturday Night Live with a broken leg. He sat on a chair, while his leg cast rested on a boat.
Not surprisingly, one of Jimmy’s longest tenured tribute bands was called Sons of Sailors. http://www.sonsofsailors.com/

• Song: My Sweet Annette
  • Album: Decoration Day
  • Released: 2003
  • Lead Vocals: Patterson Hood

A rocker from Hood told, presumably, from the viewpoint of an old man many years later, “My Sweet Annette” basically tells us what’s going to happen before it gives us any of the details. The music is a speed-up country two-step, with guitars playing rings around each other and a fiddle weaving in and out

(Me and my Annette, we was as fond as we could be
We was set to marry in October thirty three
I set my sights on courting her, as fine as she could be
I never even noticed her best friend Marilee
Took a job at the saw mill and I bought my girl a ring
Had a pre wedding party, close friends and family
Everything was fine, eating homemade ice cream
I swear I never noticed maid of honor, Marilee
My Sweet Annette was left standing at the alter.

Last edited:
I haven't commented much but have to say I keep seeing the John Mellencamp songs some out and think, "yeah, I like this one". Pink Houses is one I love. Great song to sing along to in the car (when no one has to suffer with my butchering it) . Along with Authority Song, this would also be in my top 3.

Also Slow Hand is an old favorite and Dream Police is a great Cheap Trick tune.

Have to find time to give some of the new to me's an honest and fair listen. Usually I'm rushing through it for no apparent reason and not giving them a fair shake.

6. Nina Simone, Ain’t Got No, I Got Life (from ‘Nuff Said, 1968)

The genesis of this song is a couple of songs from the musical Hair, but Nina Simone re-purposed and re-wrote them and turned it into a medley. This was when Nina Simone was most political, and the lyrics fit that. Starts off with the list of things that things that the singer doesn’t have, and then turns into a jubilant affirmation of what has that nobody can take away.

Live performance that was featured in the What Happened, Miss Simone? documentary.

At #5 is going to be a protest song that another artist featured here in Round 2 called Nina Simone’s greatest musical achievement.

6. After Midnight

This is the third and final song from the After Midnight album and the second Acidgrass song in their catalog.

The song itself should be familiar to the silverbacks around here as one of Eric Clapton's purer toe-tappers. Written by J.J. Cale, it has also been covered by multiple artists including Chet Atkins, Phish and Danny Elfman among others.

It was a fan favorite and a band favorite. It was also around the time that this album came out that I could get away with having beer at the Birchmere, even though I was turning 16.

he Seldom SceneCharlie SteinerAfter Midnight
My memory ain't what it used to be, but could have sworn this was already on a list previously.

Pink Houses- John Mellencamp
from Uh-Huh Album

Our Last song (of 4) is Pink Houses, A song that peaked at #8 in 1984. It is, of course, one of his most recognizable songs.

From a Rolling Stone Interview :

"I was driving through Indianapolis on Interstate 65 and I saw a black man holding either a cat or a dog. He was sitting on his front lawn in front of a pink house in one of those ****ty, cheap lawn chairs. I thought, "Wow, is this what life can lead to? Watching the ****in' cars go by on the interstate?" Then I imagined he wasn't isolated, but he was happy. So I went with that positive route when I wrote this song."

"This one has been misconstrued over the years because of the chorus – it sounds very rah-rah. But it's really an anti-American song. The American dream had pretty much proven itself as not working anymore. It was another way for me to sneak something in."

Side Note: Does anyone else remember the MTV promotion to give away a house and then paint it pink?

Paint the Mutha Pink

Users who are viewing this thread