What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NO Saints @ Seattle On MNF (12/2/13) (1 Viewer)

If the Saints can shut down (or even somewhat contain) Lynch, they win.
Yeah you right

:hifive:
That's just not true, Wilson is more than capable of carrying the team if he needs. Especially with Harvin being fully included in the offense..
Against the #2 ranked passing defense in the league?
Passing yards allowed per game:

1) Houston - 167.5

2) Seattle - 180.4

3) New Orleans - 191.4

If the Saints can shut down (or even somewhat contain) Lynch, they win.
Yeah you right

:hifive:
That's just not true, Wilson is more than capable of carrying the team if he needs. Especially with Harvin being fully included in the offense..
Against the #2 ranked passing defense in the league?
Passing yards allowed per game:

1) Houston - 167.5

2) Seattle - 180.4

3) New Orleans - 191.4
You're on a roll. Look up the first downs allowed and third down conversions while you're at it.

Both teams will be without a starting CB. Browner and Greer will both be missed by their respective defenses.
Actually I think most Seattle fans are pretty excited about Thurmond stepping in. Browner sometimes get beat by the double move and Thurmond doesn't. Against good QB/WR combos I think Browner would be more of a detriment to the team. In addition, CB is a relatively deep position for us and Jeremy Lane will step in for 3-wide sets and kick Thurmond back inside.

I'm not terribly concerned about Browner being out for this game, although the media is going to pump this up as a big deal.

Both teams will be without a starting CB. Browner and Greer will both be missed by their respective defenses.
Actually I think most Seattle fans are pretty excited about Thurmond stepping in. Browner sometimes get beat by the double move and Thurmond doesn't. Against good QB/WR combos I think Browner would be more of a detriment to the team. In addition, CB is a relatively deep position for us and Jeremy Lane will step in for 3-wide sets and kick Thurmond back inside.

I'm not terribly concerned about Browner being out for this game, although the media is going to pump this up as a big deal.
yup....I actually think Thurmond is better than Browner.

It is a big deal. Thurmond is largely untested and is still young in football knowledge because he's been hurt since college. I don't know anyone who gets excited about losing depth. I'd rather get Thurmond more time on the field in a lesser game rather than up against Brees with Colstin, Meachum and Graham. I don't think he's a huge drop off from Browner, but he is a drop off Andorra importantly, the gap between starter Nd backup becomes bigger with a man down. Browner will most likely not be in Seattle next year unless he gives a big hometown discount, so Thirmond is the future there, but I'd rather have Browner in against the big and/ or experienced Saints.

It is a big deal. Thurmond is largely untested and is still young in football knowledge because he's been hurt since college. I don't know anyone who gets excited about losing depth. I'd rather get Thurmond more time on the field in a lesser game rather than up against Brees with Colstin, Meachum and Graham. I don't think he's a huge drop off from Browner, but he is a drop off Andorra importantly, the gap between starter Nd backup becomes bigger with a man down. Browner will most likely not be in Seattle next year unless he gives a big hometown discount, so Thirmond is the future there, but I'd rather have Browner in against the big and/ or experienced Saints.
How sweet, fresh meat.

How sweet, fresh meat.
Not really. He was penciled in as the starter and got injured only to have Sherman and Browner arrive on the scene. He's not a rookie. In the preseason many said he was playing great...really was one of the reasons that Winfield was released. In addition to that there is a growing sentiment locally that he's better than Browner. This is his 4th year in the league and he has 33 games under his belt.

How sweet, fresh meat.
for who? your WRs scare no one.

Last edited by a moderator:

How sweet, fresh meat.
for who? your WRs scare no one.
Bress could make MarcO from the internet seem like a decent WR.

I hate to break your bubble, but the backup, Thurmond, IS ACTUALLY AN UPGRADE OVER BROWNER.
I love it when fans proclaim that the backup is better and having a starter injured is an upgrade. It happens all the time and rarely works out that way. There's a reason that Browner was starting, unless you think you got to 10-1 despite your coaches not knowing who their best players are? Even if Thurmond isn't much of a dropoff from Browner, what about Lane? Will he be a dropoff? Because he's going to have to move into Thurmond's role now.

I hate to break your bubble, but the backup, Thurmond, IS ACTUALLY AN UPGRADE OVER BROWNER.
I love it when fans proclaim that the backup is better and having a starter injured is an upgrade. It happens all the time and rarely works out that way. There's a reason that Browner was starting, unless you think you got to 10-1 despite your coaches not knowing who their best players are? Even if Thurmond isn't much of a dropoff from Browner, what about Lane? Will he be a dropoff? Because he's going to have to move into Thurmond's role now.
Sir, you have no idea. We went 4-0 without Browner last year while Lane, Maxwell, and Thurmond all played excellent. The truth is all 3 of those guys WOULD START ON ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL. What most people don't know that follow the Hawks is that they have more solid depth than any team in the league. Our GM John Schneider is in my opinion, the best GM in the league for this very reason.

Sir, you have no idea. We went 4-0 without Browner last year while Lane, Maxwell, and Thurmond all played excellent. The truth is all 3 of those guys WOULD START ON ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL. What most people don't know that follow the Hawks is that they have more solid depth than any team in the league. Our GM John Schneider is in my opinion, the best GM in the league for this very reason.
Won't help on December 1st, obviously ... but watch that equation change quick once Russell Wilson comes off of his rookie contract.

See also:

Kaepernick, Colin salary-cap ramifications of fair-market second contract

Won't help on December 1st, obviously ... but watch that equation change quick once Russell Wilson comes off of his rookie contract.

See also:

I am not too worried about December 1st, looking more forward to December 2nd. Also, Russel Wilson is the real deal, Colin Kapernick has proven that he is not.

Is it any wonder that Seattle fans have quickly overtaken Patriot fans as the most arrogant, pompous, hated fanbase in football? Even their subs are better than anyone else's meager starters. :doh:

Is it any wonder that Seattle fans have quickly overtaken Patriot fans as the most arrogant, pompous, hated fanbase in football? Even their subs are better than anyone else's meager starters. :doh:
They're fun to watch, aren't they?

Junior, I am just telling the truth. The NFL pundits will tell you the same thing. I am not calling anyone names here, not being condescending, not really sure how I can be called pompous and arrogant. I love football and I watch ALL the Seahawk games. Therefore I feel I have a pretty good grasp on where their players (starters and back-ups) stack up with other personnel on other NFL teams. I am really not sure why you feel the need to state your derogatory comments.

Junior, I am just telling the truth. The NFL pundits will tell you the same thing. I am not calling anyone names here, not being condescending, not really sure how I can be called pompous and arrogant. I love football and I watch ALL the Seahawk games. Therefore I feel I have a pretty good grasp on where their players (starters and back-ups) stack up with other personnel on other NFL teams. I am really not sure why you feel the need to state your derogatory comments.
Sticking to football here. Not exactly a top flight passing schedule you guys have been facing the last couple years.

Luck, Stafford, Brady all did just fine last two years. Schaub had his one good game all year vs Sea earlier, aside from his usual gimme pick6.

Who have the Hawks been seeing otherwise?

Fitzpatrick, K'nick, Clemmens, Glennon, Ryan sans Julio, Ponder, Palmer, Henne, Newton (the version in 1st game with Shula).

I applaud my fellow Saints fans for attempting to have discussions in here. I'm sure there are some decent Seahawks fans but your trolls are running rampant. And there are still 12 days to go.. :loco:

I applaud my fellow Saints fans for attempting to have discussions in here. I'm sure there are some decent Seahawks fans but your trolls are running rampant. And there are still 12 days to go.. :loco:
This is just round one. I imagine both teams might be meeting a second time come January.

This isn't entirely correct. Thurmond will continue to cover slot receivers, but Maxwell will be playing on the outside when teams go three wide. Lane is the 5th CB on the roster. That said, Lane has been nails covering kicks this season. He and punter Jon Ryan aren't getting enough credit IMO.

This is just round one. I imagine both teams might be meeting a second time come January.
If it's in Seattle for the third time in three meetings, I might light myself on fire.

Well having Breesbringsdaspam on your side kind of levels the playing field doesn't it? :oldunsure:

See also:

I am not too worried about December 1st, looking more forward to December 2nd. Also, Russel Wilson is the real deal, Colin Kapernick has proven that he is not.
Kaepernick can't even make it in to an Eminem hit song. Pfftt

Well having Breesbringsdaspam on your side kind of levels the playing field doesn't it? :oldunsure:
What? Don't be one of those idiots. I am not trolling this thread and don't intend on it.

I think the game comes down, like most Saints games, to the offense playing well. We're not winning a defensive struggle.

So looking at some numbers, the highest ranked offense by yards Seattle has faced at home was Tennessee at 21. The other 4 teams were in the bottom 7 of the league. The Saints rank 2nd.

Just for historical interest, the 36 points the Saints scored last time in Seattle is still the highest they've allowed in three seasons.

Breesisdaman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
valhallan said:
What? Don't be one of those idiots. I am not trolling this thread and don't intend on it.
Where do you go drinking at on game days?

Breesisdaman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
valhallan said:
Dome then wherever my friends are going after, sometimes cooter browns, just depends.

Breesisdaman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
valhallan said:
Dome then wherever my friends are going after, sometimes cooter browns, just depends.
Nothing wrong with that. 45 Tchoup is a good option too.

See also:

:lmao: Yeah, he just took his team to the SuperBowl last year.

Walter Thurmond was basically the only reason Antoine Winfield was let go to start the season. Arguably the best nickel corner in the league last year, got beat out on his own team and was cut. The only reason they signed Winfield was because nickel was a weakness when Thurmond was hurt.

Like others have said, Browner can be very susceptible to double moves, which Thurmond has not shown, and I think there's a chance Brees would have taken advantage of that.

What others probably don't know is that Browner has been benched this season in favor of Thurmond. Combine that with Seattle being 4-0 last year without him, and at least 4-0 this season without him, and the quite frankly, pro bowl level play of Thurmond this year, and you can see why Seattle fans aren't extremely morose about losing him.

Walter Thurmond was basically the only reason Antoine Winfield was let go to start the season. Arguably the best nickel corner in the league last year, got beat out on his own team and was cut. The only reason they signed Winfield was because nickel was a weakness when Thurmond was hurt.

Like others have said, Browner can be very susceptible to double moves, which Thurmond has not shown, and I think there's a chance Brees would have taken advantage of that.

What others probably don't know is that Browner has been benched this season in favor of Thurmond. Combine that with Seattle being 4-0 last year without him, and at least 4-0 this season without him, and the quite frankly, pro bowl level play of Thurmond this year, and you can see why Seattle fans aren't extremely morose about losing him.
He was benched for a quarter because he was playing like crap. Then he went back in after halftime. The following game he had his best if the year. Despite his 4 years, Thurmond hasn't had a lot of corner work in-game. Being the starter and going against savvy vets like Colstin and Brees isn't like coming in on nickel. He's still unproven in the long haul. Plus as I and the good Doc have mentioned, the falloff from starter to backup has increased now that the good backup is starting. You're deluded if you think losing a pro bowl corner isn't an issue. Plus, WT beat out Winfield, rightfully, but if Winfield is so good, where is he playing now?

To be honest, ScottyDog, I haven't really noticed your posts before. I was making a general statement about the Seahawk fans I've encountered on this board and over at FFToday. In general, there is not a more arrogant, pompous fan base out there. You, personally, may be a great fan who can keep an objective viewpoint and not be condescending to other teams' fans. If you're the exception, then I applaud you and apologize for quoting you when attempting to make a blanket statement.

See also:

Wilson being the real deal is a good thing. There is a price to be paid, however, for retaining an elite QB. That price wreaks havoc on a team's two-deep depth chart.

Great problem to have, to be sure. But it's a trade-off: spending $15+ million/yr on a QB equals no more carrying three top-flight starting-caliber players at any position.

Doctor Detroit said:
valhallan said:
Serious....dudes a troll.

To be honest, ScottyDog, I haven't really noticed your posts before. I was making a general statement about the Seahawk fans I've encountered on this board and over at FFToday. In general, there is not a more arrogant, pompous fan base out there. You, personally, may be a great fan who can keep an objective viewpoint and not be condescending to other teams' fans. If you're the exception, then I applaud you and apologize for quoting you when attempting to make a blanket statement.
10-1. Hawks fans should be.

I do find it amusing how you make a blanket statement being condescending toward fans of one team are because they are condescending to fans of different teams.

10-1. Hawks fans should be.
Not really. NFL history is littered with teams that have been 10-1 but walked away with no hardware.

You can be confident though. There's a big difference between confidence and arrogance. Having relocated to the Pacific NW in the last year, I can confirm there's an extra level of confidence that's bordering on arrogance among the fan base. My only guess is there's an undercurrent of attention-seeking for PNW'ers in general, which is understandable given the way this area of the country is largely ignored by mainstream outlets. It would just be nice if the arrogance waited until after you win the big one.

He was benched for a quarter because he was playing like crap. Then he went back in after halftime. The following game he had his best if the year. Despite his 4 years, Thurmond hasn't had a lot of corner work in-game. Being the starter and going against savvy vets like Colstin and Brees isn't like coming in on nickel. He's still unproven in the long haul. Plus as I and the good Doc have mentioned, the falloff from starter to backup has increased now that the good backup is starting. You're deluded if you think losing a pro bowl corner isn't an issue. Plus, WT beat out Winfield, rightfully, but if Winfield is so good, where is he playing now?
You are delusional if you think Browner has been playing at "pro bowl" level. The only reason he can add that to his resume is because of his first year as a starter, where he was burned a ton, he somehow had 6 interceptions on the season and got to Hawaii because of injuries to other corners. By all accounts he has gotten better since that year, but a pro bowl caliber corner he is not.

I actually really like Browner, I think his opportunistic big hits and forced fumbles have been huge for Seattle. If we are talking about simply coverage, I think Thurmond has him beat.

And it's clear you didn't do much research after the Winfield signing on how great his play was last year if you are asking me that. He had opportunities after the was cut from Seattle, I'm guessing he just didn't want to start all over with a new, less talented team at this point in his career.

Users who are viewing this thread