What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

So whever posted that Ghana news link about the game- thanks! I love that kind of stuff... always interested to see what the opposing country's media thinks of the games.

That said, they complained that the game rested on Ghana marking mistakes that led to US goals. Sure. But the same could be said about the Ghana goal, where the US player lost a step marking the guy who ended up scoring, allowing him to get goal-side.
Hey Floppo... I missed that and we're moving fast in this thread... could you repost?
woops... here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Optimism:

Men in Blazers@MenInBlazers
FollowOn evidence of first 45, it will be Germany getting second place in Group G behind US #VonTrapps #SizeTheDay #Courage

:lol:
Todays follow-up:

Michael Davies @embassydavies
On reflection, yesterday was a day completely sized.

:lmao:
These guys have been over the top on Watch ESPN. I'm sure their schtick is not everyone's cuppa, but for me its been must-watch stuff over the past month or so.
They're very knowledgeable and genuinely clever/funny.

Had forgotten this:

No factoid highlights the improbability of John Brooks scoring the game-winner for the United States quite like this one: Until he came on as an injury sub at the half, he was still technically eligible to play for Germany.
And maybe this is why he looked the way he did after scoring:

"I had a dream [two nights ago]," Brooks said. "I told some teammates that I dreamed that I scored in the 80th minute and that we'd win the game. It was the 86th minute and we won."

Some of these commercials Landon is doing now are very passive-aggressive IMO. On an EA sports commercial singing "I am not I am not I am not going to Brazil" -- that's just weird.
Donovan speaks candidly about WC roster decision:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4KKgR5YWmYg
weird.

glad he can laugh about it, but weird that he'd agree to this.
For me, this fits perfectly with the attitude you just described. He doesn't care, he's too cool to care, is above it all, having a laugh ...

So whever posted that Ghana news link about the game- thanks! I love that kind of stuff... always interested to see what the opposing country's media thinks of the games.

That said, they complained that the game rested on Ghana marking mistakes that led to US goals. Sure. But the same could be said about the Ghana goal, where the US player lost a step marking the guy who ended up scoring, allowing him to get goal-side.
Hey Floppo... I missed that and we're moving fast in this thread... could you repost?
woops... here.
Wait...Ghana's press is calling Klinnsman "tactically savvy"...unpossible

A little taste of the Ghana press for those intrigued by such things :) I think it's a fair-minded assessment.

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/SportsArchive/artikel.php?ID=313123

-QG
The comment section in this article is gold

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=313081&comment=0#com

They MAD. Their tears are delicious.
Good spot.

IT'S OVER FOR ADAMS KWARASEY. .EVEN , IF IM AS DRUNK AS A BEE IN A POT PALM - WINE I COULD SAVE THOSE TWO "SOFT" BALLS..TWEEAAAAAAAAAA.
I guess Pot Palm Wine is the drink of choice for the next Ghana match for those drinking along with the games :)

-QG

woops... here.
I know, right?

We like to joke around about him- but his team's decision to pair Beckerman and Jones has looked like the biggest correct tactical decision I've seen the US make... in my (bad) memory.

We like to joke around about him- but his team's decision to pair Beckerman and Jones has looked like the biggest correct tactical decision I've seen the US make... in my (bad) memory.
Agree. Seeing Jermaine Jones fly around the field at a completely different speed than everyone else for 90 minutes makes you realize why he had trouble playing in the "Beckerman" stay-at-home role in the first place. His work rate and stamina were incredible.

Thanks. So if those rankings are meaningless, what is a good way to get a ranking on the teams?
Just like every other sport the best way to gauge relative power is betting odds.

Brazil 3/1

Argentina 4/1

Germany 9/2

Spain 10/1

Holland 11/1

France 16/1

Italy 18/1

Belgium 22/1

England 28/1

Colombia 28/1

Chile 28/1

Portugal 40/1

Uruguay 50/1

Russia 80/1

Switzerland 80/1

Ivory Coast 80/1

Mexico 125/1

Bosnia-Herzegovina 150/1

USA 150/1

Croatia 200/1

South Korea 250/1

Nigeria 300/1

Ghana 300/1

Japan 400/1

Ecuador 400/1

Costa Rica 500/1

Greece 500/1

Cameroon 1000/1

Algeria 1500/1

Iran 2500/1

Honduras 2500/1

Australia 3000/1
Those are pretty damn good rankings. I wouldn't have Australia at teh bottom... but that's a minor quibble.
Australia had the worst draw of anybody. Much worse than even the United States. They got both of last cup's finalists (Spain and Netherlands) and the 4th-best South American side Chile - who many think can make it out of that group. That's the main reason they are bottom. If they traded places with, say, Iran, they'd probably sport odds around 1000/1.

-QG

Has anyone seen a serious critique of Bradley's play? More than just the odd sentence I mean?
There's not a ton to say. His passing was off. The US was playing a counter game and he screwed up several counters. That's the type of stuff you notice. In truth, he also did most of what many are praising Beckerman for. He covered the middle of the field very well (the plan was clearly to concede space on the flanks, which strikes me as a sound one).

The early goal caused Bradley to drop deep. That congested the space in front of the back four nicely on defense, but of course, it also meant that the players were really bunched when possession turned over. When Jozy was available, I don't think it mattered as much, because the long diagonal was on. That changed after he went out.

Has anyone seen a serious critique of Bradley's play? More than just the odd sentence I mean?
every grade report I have read has listed him as the lowest rated starter.

I think everyone recognized that he had an awful game and I think we all recognize that we are unlikely to get the draw against Portugal if he plays badly again.

@alexmorgan13: are YOU ready?? #1N1T http://t.co/cGIL1Cq2at
I KNEW this thread was missing something. And then Alex Morgan appeared. Huzzah - we are complete.

Well, wait, let's review this first. Ok, now we're complete.

Not sure about soccer protocol, but if Germany wins next match, any chance they field a total B squad vs US in 3rd game?
If they have 6 points they'll sit four or five guys. Anyone with a card, dinged up, or slightly winded from the first two games.
Doesn't some of this depend on how many points the U.S. has, and what happens in Group H? I would imagine that the advancing teams would prefer to avoid Belgium, which seems like the only top team in that group. If it looks like Belgium is going to win Group H, then I have to think Germany would prefer to win Group G and face South Korea/Russia/Algeria. Not that the Germans are scared of Belgium, but it still seems like the right play to try to win against the U.S. and get an easier first game in the knockout round.
Winning Group G also allows you to avoid Argentina in the qtr finals and instead get (IIRC) either the group E winner (France/Switzerland) or Bosnia
I've got no faith in the "Germany B side" scenario. They absolutely need to win the group, and won't rest until that is beyond doubt. Further, their B side is far superior to anything the US can put on the field, but those players will be rested and hungry to prove themselves.

:yes:

I don't see Germany sitting five guys as a huge dropoff. There is a reason I picked them to win the Cup this year - they're damn good top to bottom. Even resting players I think they're way too much for the US to cope with.

A little taste of the Ghana press for those intrigued by such things :) I think it's a fair-minded assessment.

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/SportsArchive/artikel.php?ID=313123

-QG
The comment section in this article is gold

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=313081&comment=0#com

They MAD. Their tears are delicious.
Good spot.

IT'S OVER FOR ADAMS KWARASEY. .EVEN , IF IM AS DRUNK AS A BEE IN A POT PALM - WINE I COULD SAVE THOSE TWO "SOFT" BALLS..TWEEAAAAAAAAAA.
I guess Pot Palm Wine is the drink of choice for the next Ghana match for those drinking along with the games :)

-QG
I suppose its better than a piss pot....

Some of these commercials Landon is doing now are very passive-aggressive IMO. On an EA sports commercial singing "I am not I am not I am not going to Brazil" -- that's just weird.

weird.

For me, this fits perfectly with the attitude you just described. He doesn't care, he's too cool to care, is above it all, having a laugh ...
Landon may the furthest thing from "too cool"

He is an extremely overly sensitive adult. He cares almost too much about a great many things (some of which severely conflict with being a professional soccer player).

woops... here.
I know, right?

To be fair, I think he read my post on that....you're welcome, USA

There are players who fairly serious drop-offs for Germany. I'm an Arsenal fan, and I like Podolski because he's a genuine "good guy" on the team and because he has a truly lethal left foot. But as a true CF, he's a massive downgrade from Muller, who is one of the most underrated players in the world.

And I think Germany hasn't really shown us they can play a true 4-6-0 false nine system. It's a system that is vulnerable to exactly the way the US played last night. Well organized defenses that clutter the middle and let your Gotzes and Ozils flit around the flanks as much as they want to.

If Hummels is really hurt, that's a hard replacement to make as well.

There's not a ton to say. His passing was off. The US was playing a counter game and he screwed up several counters. That's the type of stuff you notice. In truth, he also did most of what many are praising Beckerman for. He covered the middle of the field very well (the plan was clearly to concede space on the flanks, which strikes me as a sound one).

The early goal caused Bradley to drop deep. That congested the space in front of the back four nicely on defense, but of course, it also meant that the players were really bunched when possession turned over. When Jozy was available, I don't think it mattered as much, because the long diagonal was on. That changed after he went out.
:goodposting:

I know, right?

However, Kinsmann was able to depend upon good performances at the back, while Kyle Beckerman was excellent at screening the defence – he protected the ‘red zone’ excellently, meaning Ghana always looked out wide for their route to goal. Tim Howard, meanwhile, claimed crosses well and swept off his line intelligently.I'd love to know how many crosses
That's from ZonalMarking. They make reference to it to, but we were essentially a 4-4-2 yesterday with the 2 sadly acting as basically one player. All along we've said that the US will play "skinny" (which we did). Ghana didn't have the quality in the width to exploit that skinniness...Portugal probably does though like Ghana they like to strike quickly.

Zonal didn't really get into Bradley besides to say he was "surprisingly inefficient", but my guess is he was lying too deep and never had outlets. They thought the forwards and Bedoya all had bad games.

I see the NBA Finals averaged a 9.3 rating over the five games.

Any chance the US game surpasses it when the Spanish-language channels are included?
Remember that ratings and total viewers are not equivalent.

The best way to compare is to use the viewership numbers which will come a little later.

I only care about two numbers for a comparison

1) The 19.4 million viewer record for a US game (second round game in WC2010)

2) the 24.3 million viewer record for a soccer game

I don't know if we can catch #1 on Sunday because it is on ESPN but it might be close. #2 is most certain to fall during this cup IMO.

In general the numbers are up across the board (tv and online) so that is positive.

On a slightly negative look, this Cup is where the numbers will peak for a while because of the time slots of the next two WC's.

weird.

He is an extremely overly sensitive adult. He cares almost too much about a great many things (some of which severely conflict with being a professional soccer player).
I've never met the man and don't know as much about him as you do. I agree completely with your description of the image he has created for himself.

Was I dreaming or did FIFA have the temerity to run a "stand against match fixing" add yesterday?

The balls on these guys.......
Yep you're not dreaming NR. I, for one, am convinced and now will not fix any soccer matches going forward. I am sure most viewers will not either.

-QG

Was I dreaming or did FIFA have the temerity to run a "stand against match fixing" add yesterday?

Yep you're not dreaming NR. I, for one, am convinced and now will not fix any soccer matches going forward. I am sure most viewers will not either.

-QG
I was more talking about them having the temerity to talk about taking a stand against "fixing" things when that is all that FIFA engages in themselves :)

weird.

I've never met the man and don't know as much about him as you do. I agree completely with your description of the image he has created for himself.
The most interesting angle I read about Landon/JK is that this all started way back when JK made Landon his "big" winter signing at Bayern which failed in part because Landon was having problems with his domestic life with Bianca and wanted nothing to do with being in Germany.

Klinsmann was fired shortly after Landon left to come back to MLS.

The one point I disagree with is that Ghana didn't have the quality on the flanks. Atsu and Andrew Ayew are two of Ghana's three best players (along with Gyan). The US just made a decision to give them space away from the goal where they were less likely to hurt them. I think they'll do the same against Portugal for two reasons:

1. You can't prevent Ronaldo from getting behind you, but you can try to make sure he only gets behind you on the flanks, and I'd rather turn him into a crosser and long-range shooter than allow him in the box; and

2. I think Portugal's center forwards are distinctly average. I'll let Besler/Cameron/Brooks or whoever handle crosses from Nani all day and take my chances.

The one difference, IMO, in how to play Portugal is that I don't think Bradley can afford to drop deep and give Moutinho time on the ball. I want Moutinho having nightmares about the Bald Specter who hounded him for 90 minutes in Manaus.

Palm Pot Wine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_wine

A couple thoughts on the 3rd game, B-side stuff. I don't think it's the German sensibility to play for a softer draw if they really think it's in the offing. Also, Group H concludes after Group G. So theoretically it could be Belgium playing soft to a avoid a 2nd-place Germany if that is what happens in Group G.

Probable paths - I would say that winning the group is slightly more favorable overall but you're gonna get Brazil sooner. The 2nd-place path means you get Argentina sooner. Winning the group is a little bit better in that you may not have to worry about facing both Brazil and Argentina :shrug:

Probable 1st-place path: Russia (maybe SoKo) followed by (France/Swiss/maybe Bosnia) followed by Brazil (I suppose it could be Spain if they pull it together) followed by probably Argentina in the final.

Probably 2nd-place path: Belgium (possibly Russia) followed by Argentina followed by probably Holland (maybe Chile or Italy) followed by Brazil.

Pick your poison - both roads look tough. But I think Germany would play it straight and mostly try just to avoid cards and injuries.

-QG

weird.

One of his last chances to cash in

-QG
I was more talking about them having the temerity to talk about taking a stand against "fixing" things when that is all that FIFA engages in themselves :)
What in the name of Sepp Blatter are you talking about? ;)

-QG

Belgium may be young, but this lineup looks pretty good:

Belgium XI vs Algeria: Courtois; Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vertonghen; Witsel, Dembele, De Bruyne; Hazard, Chadli, Lukaku.

Updated:

Confederation Records So Far*: (W-D-L)

South America: 4-0-2

Africa: 1-1-1

UEFA: 2-0-3

Concacaf: 2-0-1

Asia: 0-1-2

*Europe vs Europe excluded
Updated:

Africa: 1-1-2

Concacaf: 3-0-1

Updated:

Updated:

Africa: 1-2-1

That update does not look right. There has been only one draw in the tournament so Africa can't have two. Let me fix it.

Updated:

Updated:

Africa: 1-2-1

That update does not look right. There has been only one draw in the tournament so Africa can't have two. Let me fix it.
Oops, sorry. I thought it was W-L-D. I'll fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread