What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022-2023 Post Season FBG Subscriber Contest (1 Viewer)

I never really liked that "you can only count two players per NFL team, except in the super bowl, where everybody counts" rule. It was necessary but kludgey. Frankly, a lot of people over the years made entries that indicated that they might not have fully grasped the rules. So I tried to maintain the same spirit while simplifying things.

Here is the rules summary:
  1. You will select six players for each round of the playoffs, a total of 24 players. No positional requirements or salary caps. Take any players you want.
  2. Each player's fantasy points are doubled in the Divisional round, tripled in the Championship round, and quintupled (i.e. multiplied by five) in the Super Bowl. The winner is the contestant who accrues the most total points across all four rounds of the playoffs.
  3. The entry deadline is Saturday, January 14 at 4:30 PM ET. That is, you must select all your players for all rounds before the start of the playoffs.

I'm hoping to be able to do a soft launch tonight or tomorrow morning.

I never really liked that "you can only count two players per NFL team, except in the super bowl, where everybody counts" rule. It was necessary but kludgey. Frankly, a lot of people over the years made entries that indicated that they might not have fully grasped the rules. So I tried to maintain the same spirit while simplifying things.

1. You will select six players for each round of the playoffs, a total of 24 players. No positional requirements or salary caps. Take any players you want.
  2. Each player's fantasy points are doubled in the Divisional round, tripled in the Championship round, and quintupled (i.e. multiplied by five) in the Super Bowl. The winner is the contestant who accrues the most total points across all four rounds of the playoffs.
  3. The entry deadline is Saturday, January 14 at 4:30 PM ET. That is, you must select all your players for all rounds before the start of the playoffs.

Interesting, you still have to get the predictions right on which teams advance as you submit all your players this week, but it does give you more bullets per round rather than the 2 per as you indicated from past contests. This is gonna be a very challenging Go big or Go home style contest!

So there will be an entry form per playoff round? Trying to picture the mechanics of how we’ll be making our picks.

So there will be an entry form per playoff round? Trying to picture the mechanics of how we’ll be making our picks.
"3. The entry deadline is Saturday, January 14 at 4:30 PM ET. That is, you must select all your players for all rounds before the start of the playoffs."

"3. The entry deadline is Saturday, January 14 at 4:30 PM ET. That is, you must select all your players for all rounds before the start of the playoffs."
Yeah. I get that part. Nevermind my question. I’ll wait and see in 2 days.

Yeah. I get that part. Nevermind my question. I’ll wait and see in 2 days.
I get what you mean now. Probably so.

One of mine and everybody in this thread’s favorite staffers. Does soft launch indicate that a link will be dropped here?

Thank you so much for your work!

Sorry but I am confused. Do the players you pick in round 1 get the multipliers? So strategy is to pick players that will play 4 games for the multipliers?

Sorry but I am confused. Do the players you pick in round 1 get the multipliers? So strategy is to pick players that will play 4 games for the multipliers?
The selected players only. Punt for one round. You have to select an all new set of six players for each subsequent round.

From the rules: "For each of your 24 players, your team will count that player's scores in ONLY ONE round of the NFL playoffs. If you select Kirk Cousins in the wildcard round, then you don't get his points in any of the other three rounds of the playoffs. If you select Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl, then you don't get his points in any of his other games."

The dumbing down of America. Shouldn't have messed with perfection. Get off my lawn.

Much prefer the old contest and strategy associated with it. Mainly because I like the salary cap aspect.

Pick the two Super Bowl teams and plug in their QB, best WR, and best RB/TE/WR flex. That's six players.
Pick the two championship teams that lose and plug in their QB, best WR, and best RB/TE/WR flex. That's 12 players.
Round 2 could be interesting. Four of the QBs are spoken for so you want the other 4 and the next two best players. You might sneak in a player that won't make your top 3 next week but likely should be picking the RB/WR/TE on the team with the closest spread to the team you are picking to advance.
Round one you have four QBs from the teams you expect to lose and the two best players of the RB/WR/TE from those teams.

The dumbing down of America. Shouldn't have messed with perfection. Get off my lawn.

Much prefer the old contest and strategy associated with it. Mainly because I like the salary cap aspect.

Pick the two Super Bowl teams and plug in their QB, best WR, and best RB/TE/WR flex. That's six players.
Pick the two championship teams that lose and plug in their QB, best WR, and best RB/TE/WR flex. That's 12 players.
Round 2 could be interesting. Four of the QBs are spoken for so you want the other 4 and the next two best players. You might sneak in a player that won't make your top 3 next week but likely should be picking the RB/WR/TE on the team with the closest spread to the team you are picking to advance.
Round one you have four QBs from the teams you expect to lose and the two best players of the RB/WR/TE from those teams.
One tiny mistake. Round one you can have 6 QB's, not just 4

My first draft has been submitted
My first submission is in as well…and likely my last. I don’t tweak the playoff contest much, if at all. seemed hopeless in the previous version of the contest. Maybe this new format (which I personally like better) will suit me better. It was over before it started for me in the old format. 🤞

My first submission is in as well…and likely my last. I don’t tweak the playoff contest much, if at all. seemed hopeless in the previous version of the contest. Maybe this new format (which I personally like better) will suit me better. It was over before it started for me in the old format. 🤞
I preferred the old format. As @BassNBrew says above, you just start by doing your brackets, then work backwards from the SB. I think there will be lots of very similar entries.

I may be more willing to entertain a new format because the last time there was a radically different format I think I finished top 5 (that was the wisdom of the crowds format a looooooong time ago) :cool:
-QG

One tiny mistake. Round one you can have 6 QB's, not just 4
You are correct sir. Thanks for catching that.

If you have high school level reading comprehension the old format suited you better. It was like playing a lottery where they draw until there's a winner and 50% of the people playing tear up their ticket.

Pinned this thread.

Y'all have fun.

I'm sure there will be plenty who hate the new format and such. We thought it would be an improvement and good. Mostly, we're just trying to give away $1,000 as a way of saying thanks to folks who purchased a Footballguys Premium Subscription. Have fun!

First thoughts: New format looks interesting.....

So I thought I'd spend a few minutes and set my playoff lineup.

Wrong! :ROFLMAO:

I've been tweaking and twerking my choices for about 2 hours.

Good thing the deadline is coming quickly or else I might not get anything else done this month....

After a couple hours pondering the possibilities, :heart:I love the new format.:heart: The old format was really clunky and the new format involves more strategy, imho.
Thanks to FootballGuys staff :towelwave: for always trying to keep things interesting around here.

This adds a new dimension to just watching the playoffs. I'm in this contest and also the $35 Playoff Challenge, which needs a completely different strategy.

Thank you!

EDIT: Ok, I'm almost 4 hours in and finally submitted my 1st iteration. Not even sure I'll tweak it any further - a lot of thought went into it.

After the contest locks, it will be fun to discuss our lineups and our strategy....

Last edited:
Man this is challenging. Not only do you need to guess which teams will advance, but also you have to have a somewhat balanced roster for each round in case they do.

I think I'mma set it and forget it. I submitted a lineup. That's it - that's my pony.

Good luck everyone.

you have to have a somewhat balanced roster for each round in case they do.

Agreed 12 Kickers and 12 Defenses for the win :excited:

-QG
We laugh, but I won my local post-season league by taking Peyton Manning 1.01 (won the SB) and had 3 K & 4 D/ST. (Plus a couple marginal RB/WR)

By the time we got to the finals I had all 4 defenses and 3/4 kickers, and in the SB I had Manning, both K & both D/ST.

No one ever let me do that again. K & D went much higher every year after

There are a lot of different strategies one could use.
I trying to decide if I want to go all in on my bracket or try and use the bonus multipliers and get as many points as possible in each round.

Some crazy ideas I've considered.

Create my own power rankings and bracket for each conference.
Super Bowl - 6 QB's from the top 6 teams in my rankings. Unless I'm way off in my bracket I'll have 2 QBs getting 5x points.
Conference - Elite TEs, RBs & WRs from the Top 6 teams in my rankings
Divisional - 6 QBs from the bottom 8 in my rankings
Wild Card - Elite TEs, RBs & WRs from the bottom 8 in my rankings

Since no entry is eliminated it really comes down to hitting on your bracket prediction. Here is the ideal scenario:

1. Pick the Super Bowl teams and all six of your players should be from them.
  2. Pick six players off the teams that lose the conference championship games
  3. Divisional rounds are tougher because more teams to choose from but you gotta pick from the losers of this round
  4. Wild Card Round is taking six off of teams you think will lose so you don't get limited the next round.
If you are correct on your Conference Round and Super Bowl teams you should be in the running.

Users who are viewing this thread