What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (1 Viewer)

No, they are making unanimous consent motions  - basically, can I enter this in the record without objection.  And objecting to what they asked for with the articles they wanted to enter would be a waste of time because they could just recite them into the record somehow.

But someone is going to argue on Fox News in the coming days that since a Politico article is in the record that what it says is fact - which it isn't - and when the fact is something like, Biden stole money from Federal Reserve to pay for Ukrainian cologne they are going to use that to muddy the true facts.  It's up to the prosecutor to cut through the games of the defense when they do that.

We will see if they do.
Thanks. Just got home and trying to catch up and have it on tv in background....just heard two magazine articles, unanimous consent, and then a Democrat start asking questions.

Schiff continues to unnecessarily insert himself into the story and he continues to be blind to the fact that it hurts his side.
Isn't he the head of the committee? By that token, he can do what he feels is necessary to maintain order in the proceedings, and how does that hurt his side? 

"Hey everybody, the accusation that I coordinated with and assisted the whistleblower, is false but I'm going to take this moment to remind everyone that the accusation is out there."
I haven't been able to watch/listen. I assume those are not his exact words - do you have the actual quote handy?

There were a couple Republicans that I personally found effective, but I suspect it’s the Nunez/Jordan nonsense that will shape the propaganda and ultimately be more effective with the public.

"Hey everybody, the accusation that I coordinated with and assisted the whistleblower, is false but I'm going to take this moment to remind everyone that the accusation is out there."
I believe that is called "getting ahead of the story." The republicans are going to try and do something with that, but I doubt it does anything.

I haven't been able to watch/listen. I assume those are not his exact words - do you have the actual quote handy?
No it's absolutely not a direct quote but he used his very brief closing statement to bring that up and remind everyone that it's getting thrown around out there. It would be best not to give the notion the time of day.

No it's absolutely not a direct quote but he used his very brief closing statement to bring that up and remind everyone that it's getting thrown around out there. It would be best not to give the notion the time of day.
You're leaving out the part where members of the GOP tried to directly question Schiff about his contact with the WB. GOP members tried to directly involve him. He used part of his closing statement to address that.

You're leaving out the part where members of the GOP tried to directly question Schiff about his contact with the WB. GOP members tried to directly involve him. He used part of his closing statement to address that.
Not left out, I made it very clear it was an "accusation". Schiff simply keeps using his time to remind everyone of it. Making himself a bigger part of the story is a losing idea no matter how he says it.

The only way anyone wins bigly on this? When everyone realizes that the President broke the law by withholding funds allocated by Congress. He does not have the power.

You are an intelligent guy Mr. Anonymous and I would think you would realize this.
I didn't say anyone won bigly, I said the initial news coming out indicates both sides "THINK" they hit home runs today.

I don't think anything field-tilting happened for either side today.

The only way anyone wins bigly on this? When everyone realizes that the President broke the law by withholding funds allocated by Congress. He does not have the power.

You are an intelligent guy Mr. Anonymous and I would think you would realize this.
He has been breaking the law before he was even elected.  Nobody is a winner here. 

Not left out, I made it very clear it was an "accusation". Schiff simply keeps using his time to remind everyone of it. Making himself a bigger part of the story is a losing idea no matter how he says it.
Point being, he didn't just bring it up unnecessarily to insert himself into the story, as you claimed. He brought it up because the GOP directed that line of questioning directly to him. You can debate if he was smart to address it, but it certainly was not unnecessarily to insert himself. The GOP needs to stop trying to make it an issue. 

Let's not do the back and forth victory claiming each day on this. Both sides I'm sure will claim victory. It's roughly a 9:1 ratio here for sides so each side claiming victory is going to be just a shoutdown. Let's not do that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The timeline for the record. For the "well the aid got there" crowd. The aid was sent because the jig was up. 

8/12/19--whistleblower files complaint

9/9/19- House told of whistleblower complaint.

9/9/19--Sondland and Taylor exchange text messages and Sondland sends scripted "no quid pro quo" text

9/10/19-House asks for info about whistleblower complaint

9/11/19--Ukraine aid released

Kyle Cheney@kyledcheney·12m

GOP has decided that their best argument is that the military aid was released on Sept. 11. 

This requires ignoring two things

Sept. 9: Dems announce investigation into Trump/Giuliani involvement in Ukraine.

Sept. 10: Dems ask the DNI for whistleblower complaint

The timeline for the record. For the "well the aid got there" crowd. The aid was sent because the jig was up. 

9/9/19--Sondland and Taylor exchange text messages and Sondland sends scripted "no quid pro quo" text

You missed the Pence, President Z meeting   I think on the 5th.  That might be important. 

I thought both witnesses presented themselves well with one exception

It seems Taylor was pretty irked over this “Irregular channel” Him being from State comes off as a territory fight.

“Back Channel” diplomacy deals happen all the time. 

It seems Taylor was pretty irked over this “Irregular channel” Him being from State comes off as a territory fight.

He confirmed that it's not necessary to go through the normal channels as long as it's in done with Congress' stated foreign policy goals, if I am remembering it correctly.

Summary of the timeline

Withhold aid

Ask for investigation into burisma/Biden

Use back channel with private attorney to arrange details

Reiterate quid pro quo specifically for investigation and public announcement of the investigation

Arrange details of the public announcement

Learn of whistleblower complaint

Deny quid pro quo 

Release funds

Claim they weren't really going to go through with withholding the aid, we just arranged all that stuff to feel out the new president

Is any of that inaccurate? 

A general observation/question.  Knowing that independent/moderate voters are largely going to be the only ones these hearings impact in terms of public opinion (the left and right tribes are not going to change their minds no matter what is said or revealed), why would the Republicans go the comic route, throwing around "sham, witch hunt, etc."?  I know Trump does it, but his approval rating is below 50%.  Is that what they are trying to shoot for?   I love a good coach rant as much as anyone, but it is startling to see it happening on TV by people that are charged with governing our country.  I'm just not seeing how the hyperbole is going to help them convince people that Trump is a victim here.

A general observation/question.  Knowing that independent/moderate voters are largely going to be the only ones these hearings impact in terms of public opinion (the left and right tribes are not going to change their minds no matter what is said or revealed), why would the Republicans go the comic route, throwing around "sham, witch hunt, etc."?  I know Trump does it, but his approval rating is below 50%.  Is that what they are trying to shoot for?   I love a good coach rant as much as anyone, but it is startling to see it happening on TV by people that are charged with governing our country.  I'm just not seeing how the hyperbole is going to help them convince people that Trump is a victim here.
I know very little of the details you guys are talking about. But from a pure "game play" strategy angle, I think absolutely the play for Republicans is the "witch hunt" angle. 

I was in New Orleans this weekend and the Republican candidate for something (Governor maybe?) was running TV ads accusing the opponent of being in favor of the "Washington Impeachment Squad". And right or wrong, I'd say that strategy is pretty effective for them. 

I support these proceedings, don't think it's a witch hunt and think Trump very likely did hold up aid for investigating Biden. That said, I don't think it was a strong start for the Dems. I'm not seeing a blazing headline for tomorrow's papers ( I know, who reads papers anymore) Maybe I expected too much.

I understand your point, but I don't agree with your assertion that "the left and the right tribes are not going to change their minds no matter what is said or revealed".  I'm a member of the left tribe, and I would absolutely change my mind if the evidence overwhelmingly suggested that there was no there there, a la the Benghazi charade.  I think it's a disservice to equate the left and the right as mindlessly disregarding the facts, just because the right is currently doing so.  It's a false equivalency that disincentivizes  people to be open minded if they're simply going to be characterized as a bad actor because the other side is acting badly.

I support these proceedings, don't think it's a witch hunt and think Trump very likely did hold up aid for investigating Biden. That said, I don't think it was a strong start for the Dems. I'm not seeing a blazing headline for tomorrow's papers ( I know, who reads papers anymore) Maybe I expected too much.
The lack of blazing headline is a positive for me.  Goldman's examination had no "gotcha" moments or zingers, but it was a calculated series of questions that held the viewers' hands as he walked them through all of the problems with what Trump did.

I thought Taylor's testimony about his aide who overheard the call with Trump asking Sondland asking about the status of the "investigations" was pretty big.  The substantive defense has seemed focused on no one being able to directly tie Trump (besides the "transcript"), and trying to put it on Giuliani or Sondland going rogue.  That is another direct link (currently hearsay, but sounds like they are bringing in the aide himself).

Is that true? There are a lot of deals that happen without State involved?

I thought Taylor's testimony about his aide who overheard the call with Trump asking Sondland asking about the status of the "investigations" was pretty big.  The substantive defense has seemed focused on no one being able to directly tie Trump (besides the "transcript"), and trying to put it on Giuliani or Sondland going rogue.  That is another direct link (currently hearsay, but sounds like they are bringing in the aide himself).
I agree. The biggest comment of the day and I'm glad to see it appears the staffer will be called to testify.

I know very little of the details you guys are talking about. But from a pure "game play" strategy angle, I think absolutely the play for Republicans is the "witch hunt" angle. 

I was in New Orleans this weekend and the Republican candidate for something (Governor maybe?) was running TV ads accusing the opponent of being in favor of the "Washington Impeachment Squad". And right or wrong, I'd say that strategy is pretty effective for them. 
Eddie Rispone, and yes for Governor.  He's a terrible candidate.  One of the support ads for him attacking the current governor was so false it was removed from the airwaves in Louisiana for falsehood.

Did any of the closed door testimony go into detail about the server that the transcript was moved to? 

Do we know who moved it and/or who ordered that it be done?

I agree. The biggest comment of the day and I'm glad to see it appears the staffer will be called to testify.
Trump has already been asked about this at his press conference. He said “I don’t know anything about that. I don’t remember having that conversation, but all you need to know about Sondland is that I told him no quid pro quo.” 

Where is the timeline for when the whistleblower (which is generous - he/she doesn't qualify as one) went to Schiff?  Timeline for Schiff's office crafting that legalese complaint?

Are we going to see Schiff as a witness on this part of it?

Where is the timeline for when the whistleblower (which is generous - he/she doesn't qualify as one) went to Schiff?  Timeline for Schiff's office crafting that legalese complaint?

what point would be proved by examining the whistleblowers interactions with Schiff?

The WB didnt go to schiff unless you have new information.

Why would schiff be called as a witness?

His office crafted the complaint?  Again, could you please  provide a link to this assertion?
Also, why does the person not qualify as a whistleblower?

To do something against our National interests?

I understand your point, but I don't agree with your assertion that "the left and the right tribes are not going to change their minds no matter what is said or revealed".  I'm a member of the left tribe, and I would absolutely change my mind if the evidence overwhelmingly suggested that there was no there there, a la the Benghazi charade.  I think it's a disservice to equate the left and the right as mindlessly disregarding the facts, just because the right is currently doing so.  It's a false equivalency that disincentivizes  people to be open minded if they're simply going to be characterized as a bad actor because the other side is acting badly.
Fair enough, but looking at polls, the vast majority (80+%) identifying on one side or the other are sticking on their side regarding impeachment.  It's reasonable to make the case that overall public opinion moving is going to be based on independents being convinced one way or the other.  I don't know that the bombastic over the top approach is the best way to win them over.  Might be my personal preference, but a reasoned argument is more persuasive to me than someone shouting about how crazy the other side is.   The difference in tone today was stark and while it might have played to the R base, I would guess it turned off some people who don't have a strong opinion yet and just wanted to hear some actual details on what happened.

I think you are also proving my point on tribalism a bit in saying that because you are on the left you are rational enough to change your mind but all on the right are acting badly and swallowing the talking points without thought.  Having that mindset is basically stating that you wouldn't actually change your mind because you are already convinced they are wrong.

Trump has already been asked about this at his press conference. He said “I don’t know anything about that. I don’t remember having that conversation, but all you need to know about Sondland is that I told him no quid pro quo.” 
He sure can remember four letter words well

I think you are also proving my point on tribalism a bit in saying that because you are on the left you are rational enough to change your mind but all on the right are acting badly and swallowing the talking points without thought.  Having that mindset is basically stating that you wouldn't actually change your mind because you are already convinced they are wrong.
Those on the right who are ignoring the mountain of evidence of wrongdoing and instead spreading conspiracy theories about the deep state and Trump appointees engaged in a coup are proving that they aren't rational enough to change their mind.  it's actually happening right in front of our faces.  

Would Democrats do the same under similar circumstances?  Perhaps a small % would, but this just wouldn't fly with the majority of  us on the Democratic side, at all. 

Did any of the closed door testimony go into detail about the server that the transcript was moved to? 

I think the answer to both questions is "Yes" - but I am drawing a blank right now on the name of the lawyer who ordered the transcript moved.

Starts with an "E" - I think...

I think the answer to both questions is "Yes" - but I am drawing a blank right now on the name of the lawyer who ordered the transcript moved.

Moments after President Trump ended his phone call with Ukraine’s president on July 25, an unsettled national security aide rushed to the office of White House lawyer John Eisenberg.

Army Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, the top Ukraine adviser at the White House, had been listening to the call and was disturbed by the pressure Trump had applied to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate his political rivals, according to people familiar with Vindman’s testimony to lawmakers this week.

Vindman told Eisenberg, the White House’s legal adviser on national security issues, that what the president did was wrong, said the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

Scribbling notes on a yellow legal pad, Eisenberg proposed a step that other officials have said is at odds with long-standing White House protocol: moving a transcript of the call to a highly classified server and restricting access to it, according to two people familiar with Vindman’s account.

per wapo - https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-lawyer-moved-transcript-of-trump-call-to-classified-server-after-ukraine-adviser-raised-alarms/2019/10/30/ba0fbdb6-fb4e-11e9-8190-6be4deb56e01_story.html

I agree with this. Kent's and Taylor's testimony, if it were new information, would be jaw-dropping. But it's mostly not new information. It's stuff that has already trickled out and has already been reported on and spun, and is therefore already baked in to people's thoughts. I predict that these hearings won't change Trump's approval ratings.

I agree with this stuff. Kent's and Taylor's testimony, if it were new information, would be jaw-dropping. But it's mostly not new information. It's stuff that has already trickled out and has already been reported on and spun, and is therefore already baked in to people's thoughts. I predict that these hearings won't change Trump's approval ratings.
That frog needs to jump

John Eisenberg.

Users who are viewing this thread