What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (7 Viewers)

I don't disagree with the first part. But, Kent and Taylor are not our elected officials. Muting politicians is not a solution. It's ignoring a problem. 
And I don't disagree with that sentiment either. But if the objective is to influence behavior then you need to stop enabling the lying, the spectacle, the theater. How do you accomplish that? Put weight into the facts and hold your elected officials accountable when they veer away from them. The problem is the populace does not care about facts, only what's convenient for their priorities.

Sen. Chris Murphy: "This is really about setting a precedent ... Once you telegraph that it's okay for a president to use the massive powers of his or her office in order to try to win reelection or destroy people ... then I don't know how you correct for that."

Yeah, but you can admit it was a dumb thing to say.
Yeah, but I have a feeling he did not articulate what he was trying to say properly. In this case, somebody with hearsay has more to offer an investigation than people with direct knowledge ignoring subpoenas and refusing to cooperate.

Is what Quigley said wrong?  

I understand that first-hand is better than hearsay everything else equal.  However, it's easy to think of examples when first-hand evidence is suspect due to the credibility of the witness. 

Yeah, but I have a feeling he did not articulate what he was trying to say properly. In this case, somebody with hearsay has more to offer an investigation than people with direct knowledge ignoring subpoenas and refusing to cooperate.
Yes, the bolded would be accurate. No need to assume that's what he meant. It's ok to call out dumb comments, even if it comes from "your side" Most of the day yesterday was from people on the left criticizing comments, and in some cases the appearance, of those on the right. I don't expect even criticism, especially when much of it is warranted, but it would be nice if dumb comments are called out on both sides without the need to defend or presume what they really meant. I don't see a lot of leniency on things that people on the right did not articulate properly. Minor point but I'll leave it at that.

And I don't disagree with that sentiment either. But if the objective is to influence behavior then you need to stop enabling the lying, the spectacle, the theater. How do you accomplish that? Put weight into the facts and hold your elected officials accountable when they veer away from them. The problem is the populace does not care about facts, only what's convenient for their priorities.
And that is why I've said that our country is circling the drain. We are at a critical point in time where we have to stand for what our country was founded on, or be prepared to suffer the consequences. I guess we reap what we sow. 

Yes, and it's BS.  You know, and the voters know it.  The 31 Democrats, who's seats they occupy that Trump carried, are probably more worried about their political future than the impeachment.  Watch a lot of them vote no on impeachment.  Everyone knows, including the Democrats, that this is all a show that will be dragged out as long as possible with the 2020 election in mind.  They know it won't pass the Senate and many Democrats will probably vote against it in the house.
If those 31 New Democratic House members are as worried about their political futures as you suggest, then the polls consistently show they had better vote for impeachment, not against.
So 31 Dems, who were elected in 2018, should fear the Trump because he carried their areas two years before? What kind of logic is this?

I understand that first-hand is better than hearsay everything else equal.  However, it's easy to think of examples when first-hand evidence is suspect due to the credibility of the witness. 
Would hearsay be better from that same witness?

Instructing witnesses not to testify is an impeachable offense. There’s no real question about whether Trump has committed impeachable offenses, IMO. The only question is about how politicians are gonna politic.
I agree but my question to tim wasn't about instructing witnesses not to testify. Is having Giuliani and Barr talk to Ukraine about Biden an impeachable offense. 

Here-say? .....and their star witness can't name one thing the President should be impeached over..

Taylor and Kent are not experts on the subject of what acts are impeachable. They are fact witnesses.

The correct response to Nunes’s question was simply to stare at him in stunned disbelief at his ineptitude.
@JohnnyU I'm assuming you have crimestoppers in your area? The anonymous hotline for people to call in to report crimes. I see this being the same as someone reporting a crime through that channel. Let's say Roy is at a party and hears Bob bragging about robbing an elderly couple in their home a few nights ago. Roy has no first hand knowledge of the crime. But, he calls crimestoppers and gives the police Bob's information. Roy is the whistleblower and should remain anonymous. Otherwise, Bob may threaten Roy or Roy's family. 

Meanwhile, Dan was given diamond earrings to fence for Bob. Dan wasn't involved with the robbery. Dan doesn't know everything about criminal law. But, Dan is placed on the witness stand to testify how he came into possession of the stolen earrings, and what Bob may have said to him. Dan doesn't decide what Bob should be charged with, what Bob's sentence should be, or whether or not he's even guilty. He's only there to tell the judge what he knows. Dan is Taylor (and any other witness that testifies). 

Bob doesn't get to tell Dan (or any other witness) to ignore subpoenas. He doesn't get to demand to know Roy's identity. Bob's lawyer doesn't get to withhold documents or information that is subpoenaed.  Bob is Trump. 

So 31 Dems, who were elected in 2018, should fear the Trump because he carried their areas two years before? What kind of logic is this?
......because if the American people in those districts aren't in favor of impeachment,  the representative who won that district has to take that into consideration.

......because if the American people in those districts aren't in favor of impeachment,  the representative who won that district has to take that into consideration.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

Noting about the people he represents. The Constitution supersedes that. He represents by vote, he does his job by Constitution. 

What Quigley said is wrong in that situation.

Let’s say we want to know whether it rained yesterday.

John says, “It rained yesterday.” But John is a know liar, so who knows?

Bill says, “John says it rained yesterday.” No matter how much of a liar John is, Bill’s statement can never be better than John’s in helping us figure out whether it rained yesterday.

Show your work. Link, please
No need to show a link for everything when I said "If" the American people in those districts are against impeachment.  If Trump won those districts in 2016 I suspect many of those Americans are against impeachment.

A Democrat actually said this yesterday-

Democrat Rep. Mike Quigley (IL) on evidence: "Hearsay can be much better evidence than direct ... and it's certainly valid in this instance"

https://twitter.com/realsaavedra/status/1194710194166497281?s=21
I wonder why we aren't able to hear from the people with first hand knowledge. Wouldn't you like to hear Rudy, Mulvaney, Trump, etc. under oath? Why is the WH blocking the people WITH first hand knowledge? They could put an end to this in one afternoon and make it all go away. Yet they choose not to.

No need to show a link for everything when I said "If" the American people in those districts are against impeachment.  If Trump won those districts in 2016 I suspect many of those Americans are against impeachment.
Doesn't the basic principle of impeachment go against the vote of the populous? Every President that was ever impeached was voted into office. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What?  

Based on your rules most confidential informants would be shut down. Do you really know what you mean here? 
All I know is that if there is a whistle blower, he/she should be made to testify and identity known to the defendant and their lawyers, or their whistle blowing should not be considered.

Perhaps, as they showed in 2018, these constituents prefer Democrats now? So, the logic that they would fear the impeachment because Trump won in 2016 appears flawed.

I wonder why we aren't able to hear from the people with first hand knowledge. Wouldn't you like to hear Rudy, Mulvaney, Trump, etc. under oath? Why is the WH blocking the people WITH first hand knowledge? They could put an end to this in one afternoon and make it all go away. Yet they choose not to.
I think that's the big takeaway for me, as a centrist.

No, I believe Marie Yovanovitch is tomorrow. The aid Taylor referenced has a closed door too.
Thanks

Are they doing a closed door for every new testimony before the open hearings? Would that be the same for Bolton or Mulvaney if they testify?

I would also like every poster here that reports another person's post, made public. 

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. 
Removing the President of the United States isn't compared to FBGs forum.  If there is a whistleblower, then the defense has the right to confront in court. 

What Quigley said is wrong in that situation.

Let’s say we want to know whether it rained yesterday.

John says, “It rained yesterday.” But John is a know liar, so who knows?

Bill says, “John says it rained yesterday.” No matter how much of a liar John is, Bill’s statement can never be better than John’s in helping us figure out whether it rained yesterday.
What if we have no reason to distrust Bill and he says "I was inside all day and didn't check but my wife said it was raining and I trust she was telling me the truth"?

In this case, I'd rather trust Bill's hearsay account than what John said.

Why do you keep asking that? Out with it. What's the point? 
:lmao:  ...out with it!

I'm curious to know the answer. Why does there have to be more than that?

eta: I don't exactly know what qualifies as an impeachable offense and like to hear opinions from people more knowledgeable than I am on the subject.

All I know is that if there is a whistle blower, he/she should be made to testify and identity known to the defendant and their lawyers, or their whistle blowing should not be considered.
Instead of the whistle blower, you should be demanding Rudy goes under oath. He has the first hand knowledge. Let him tell his side. Trump too for that matter. They both know infinitely more than the whistle blower.

The articles of impeachment will be based on acts that occurred after the 2016 election.

If Bill committed murder yesterday, it’s no defense to say that people generally liked him as of a few years ago.

We should destroy whistleblower protections and fundamentally prevent future whistleblowers from coming forward!

Also a bunch of GOP/Trump folks should ignore subpoenas. 

Yes. These are both terrific ideas. 

Users who are viewing this thread