What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2015 Offseason Thread (2 Viewers)

And a word from Jim Haslett #1 fanhttp://www.espn980.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=8&post_id=21641

It reads like a love letter from one of Charles Manson wives. The idea that this guy gets a paycheck from Dan Synder is worse than anything Bruce Allen said this morning :lmao:
:lmao:

A good man and a good football coach who worked tirelessly for five years to improve the Redskins will no longer be here, and that's a shame.
You can throw out any statistic over the last twenty years (a completely irrelevant chore) that you want - here's what I know - Haslett inherited a virtually impossible situation of an aging 4-3 defense and told to convert it to a 3-4 unit with very few resources.
There you have it. Chris Russell has no gag reflex.

Yes, I am fully aware of every mind-numbing statistic available and many are not good but as said all along, it's hard to make prime rib with beef scraps.

That's what the Redskins charged Jim Haslett with doing. He and the defensive staff fell short of that goal with the exception of 2012.

Could he have done better? Yes. Should he have been able to do better? Probably. Was he ever in a position to succeed? Hell to the NO.

Haslett will bounce back and he will likely land a coordinating spot in the next few weeks.
:lmao:

Dan Steinberg wrote the following in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/12/30/redskins-have-spent-21-years-in-the-wilderness/

He basically says the Redskins have been lost for 21 years. It actually starts when Gibbs retires after the 1992 season.
BUT!BUT!BUT! SNYDER!!!!!
Even if the losing started before Snyder he has FULL responsibility for the chronic dysfunction and organizational toxicity at this point. He's been the owner for 15 years now and the team has been consistently terrible from the top down over the entire course of his ownership..

Don't always agree with Sally Jenkings but this article is spot on.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/washington-redskins-are-the-victims-of-top-down-organizational-dysfunction/2014/12/31/2705348a-913e-11e4-a900-9960214d4cd7_story.html?wprss=rss_redskins-page-shell&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
#### Sally Jenkins.

I won't read anything with her name on it ever. Even if she happens to be pretending to agree with me. I highly recommend it.
That's actually a good article. And if you take a moment to think about it, the first paragraph and another paragraph later in the story explain why, during every season, we see games where numerous players just lay down and let the other team run around them and past them.

An NFL player’s chief commodity and source of earnings is his body, and he has only so many bone-breaking efforts contained in it. Would you invest your savings in a company run by Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen? No, you wouldn’t. Of course not. So why would the players? This is what is wrong with Washington’s football club, why there are so many losses and whiffed tackles. It’s very basic and purely transactional. There is a gnawing doubt inside the club whether the effort is worth it.
As fullback Darrel Young was cleaning out his locker for the offseason this week, he asked rhetorically, “Are we trying to be football players, or are we trying to make money?” Nobody summed up the club’s paycheck culture better than that.

Redskins are the 4th highest revenue in NFL, so why change anything...Snyder's pockets are getting filled more than adequately with being a loser on the field. Nothing will change until the flow of incoming money takes a hit. Sad and unfortunate as it it is, it's the truth of the situation at hand
I'm pretty sure the "Nobody wants to win more than Dan Snyder does" crap we hear every year is just a marketing slogan. The team's making money hand over fist. The only qualities looked for in hiring for the front office or head coach are 1)famous name, and/or 2)comfort level for Snyder. Winning certainly isn't sought.

Dan Steinberg wrote the following in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/12/30/redskins-have-spent-21-years-in-the-wilderness/

He basically says the Redskins have been lost for 21 years. It actually starts when Gibbs retires after the 1992 season.
BUT!BUT!BUT! SNYDER!!!!!
Even if the losing started before Snyder he has FULL responsibility for the chronic dysfunction and organizational toxicity at this point. He's been the owner for 15 years now and the team has been consistently terrible from the top down over the entire course of his ownership..

Don't always agree with Sally Jenkings but this article is spot on.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/washington-redskins-are-the-victims-of-top-down-organizational-dysfunction/2014/12/31/2705348a-913e-11e4-a900-9960214d4cd7_story.html?wprss=rss_redskins-page-shell&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
#### Sally Jenkins.

I won't read anything with her name on it ever. Even if she happens to be pretending to agree with me. I highly recommend it.
That's actually a good article. And if you take a moment to think about it, the first paragraph and another paragraph later in the story explain why, during every season, we see games where numerous players just lay down and let the other team run around them and past them.

Sorry. Nope. Not going to read a word if her name is attached to it.

Most other people will read it. If anyone reading it develops cooties, please report here.
A lot of people read Hitler's auto biography too. No cooties there either. Just saying...
Come on Sebowski. Sally Jenkins isn't Hitler, and nobody's going to go out and mass murder millions of people from reading a column of hers. Plus you're too smart a guy to Godwin a topic.

Chris Russell and Larry Michael are guys whose opinions I usually can't stand. But I read them, and don't get cooties, and don't mass murder. Every once in awhile Russell makes some decent points, but I'd miss them if I didn't read him. Same with you missing Jenkins's decent points when she makes them.

Well we cruised through the first round in good shape. No injuries to report, and we're winning off the field.

Most other people will read it. If anyone reading it develops cooties, please report here.
A lot of people read Hitler's auto biography too. No cooties there either. Just saying...
Come on Sebowski. Sally Jenkins isn't Hitler, and nobody's going to go out and mass murder millions of people from reading a column of hers. Plus you're too smart a guy to Godwin a topic.

Chris Russell and Larry Michael are guys whose opinions I usually can't stand. But I read them, and don't get cooties, and don't mass murder. Every once in awhile Russell makes some decent points, but I'd miss them if I didn't read him. Same with you missing Jenkins's decent points when she makes them.
:lmao: I wasn't serious, fatty.

Still not reading her #### though. She can go #### herself.

Well we cruised through the first round in good shape. No injuries to report, and we're winning off the field.
:lmao: Even if the team is losing I'm patient and can wait as they build. But this constant spitting in the fans face has me so turned off this team.

Would be a great move, baggage and all. The key to success, of course, is complete control and final say over football operations. Unfortunately, complete control here means your final decisions are then reviewed and decided on again by Dan, Bruce, Jay, AJ, Scott, Sonny, and Larry Michael.

Would be a great move, baggage and all. The key to success, of course, is complete control and final say over football operations. Unfortunately, complete control here means your final decisions are then reviewed and decided on again by Dan, Bruce, Jay, AJ, Scott, Sonny, and Larry Michael.
Sad truth there. Would love the move, but not sure exactly how it will all work out. Feel like we could have too many cooks if we bring him in. McCloughan, Smith and Allen would all be doing the same type of stuff plus Scott Campbell. Then you have Snyder in the mix with a little Gruden sprinkled in. I'm sure Snyder could offer him the most money, but it may not be the best situation.

Hey, now! Leave Sonny out of that crew. He's one of the good guys.

The Skins were looking to add a personnel man from Seattle/49ers. If they actually land him we might have 1 person on the staff that can adequately analyze talent.

Offer McCloughan full control, a truckload of money, and a blank check to hire whoever he wants for his personnel department and scouts.

Allow him to restructure and hire/fire other parts of the FO.

Allow him to evaluate and hire/fire members of the coaching staff from Gruden on down.

Give him all the power, all the credit, and all the accountability, and let him build it from the ground up.

MattFancy said:
TeddyKGB said:
Sad truth there. Would love the move, but not sure exactly how it will all work out. Feel like we could have too many cooks if we bring him in. McCloughan, Smith and Allen would all be doing the same type of stuff plus Scott Campbell. Then you have Snyder in the mix with a little Gruden sprinkled in. I'm sure Snyder could offer him the most money, but it may not be the best situation.
Campbell can go. And if they hire McCloughan then Smith can go as well. Then hire a bunch more scouts, and actually have them listened to by McCloughan.

AJ Smith's "interview" is set for Sunday I believe. Keim says he's very interested in moving to DC and having more say on personnel. Chris Russell says Smith will tell Allen and Snyder to go #### themselves if he gets overruled much.

Redskins are the 4th highest revenue in NFL, so why change anything...Snyder's pockets are getting filled more than adequately with being a loser on the field. Nothing will change until the flow of incoming money takes a hit. Sad and unfortunate as it it is, it's the truth of the situation at hand
I'm pretty sure the "Nobody wants to win more than Dan Snyder does" crap we hear every year is just a marketing slogan. The team's making money hand over fist. The only qualities looked for in hiring for the front office or head coach are 1)famous name, and/or 2)comfort level for Snyder. Winning certainly isn't sought.
I don't buy that. Snyder is a Redskins fan first. That's why he bought the team when he had the resources to do so. I think losing and producing a bad product pisses him off too. If he didn't truly care about winning and was just about the bottom line, the team would have low payroll, wouldn't be firing/hiring coaches constantly, etc. Not saying his way is the right way, but to say he's not trying to win and just cares about $ is wrong IMO.

nittanylion said:
TeddyKGB said:
Hey, now! Leave Sonny out of that crew. He's one of the good guys.
:goodposting:

Sonny Jurgensen and Charley Taylor were the first 2 Redskins I ever heard of. I grew up in southern PA and used to visit my older cousins in Silver Spring. About 8 of us were playing football on the grass of a vacant lot between 2 houses. One guy, who lived in one of the houses, put one of those old "portable" radios in the window --- those 2 foot by 1-1/2 foot "portables" --- turned it way up, and we listened to the Skins play while we played. They lost of course but the scoring in their game was literally faster than in our game. And we'd have to stop play every time anyone heard "Sonny Jurgensen" or "Charley Taylor", which was a lot. And I was hooked.

And that is how an addiction is born.

I don't buy that. Snyder is a Redskins fan first. That's why he bought the team when he had the resources to do so. I think losing and producing a bad product pisses him off too. If he didn't truly care about winning and was just about the bottom line, the team would have low payroll, wouldn't be firing/hiring coaches constantly, etc. Not saying his way is the right way, but to say he's not trying to win and just cares about $ is wrong IMO.
He never does things that successful teams do that are conducive to winning. If his goal is to win his actions have hidden it so well for so many years I no longer believe it exists. It's just words. Words are crap, actions tell you what someone believes in.

He never does things that successful teams do that are conducive to winning. If his goal is to win his actions have hidden it so well for so many years I no longer believe it exists. It's just words. Words are crap, actions tell you what someone believes in.
Well that's what makes him a bad owner. Good intentions, but bad implementation. Doesn't mean he doesn't want to win. Or do you believe he really enjoys wasting money on expensive players and coaches? A true money driven owner would be Donald Sterling back when the Clippers would go cheap on everything and always finish as one of the most profitable teams but never in contention. Snyder spends and fails.

PFT reports nine teams are eligible to be drafted to be on Hard Knocks. And the Redskins are one of them.

Personally, I think the show is a distraction to teams. But if you want ratings, it seems like you have to pick the Redskins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/nine-teams-possible-to-be-drafted-into-hard-knocks/
I don't want to be on there. Teams might steal some of Bruce's chartiable ideas and start winning off the field too. Can't have that!

If Wade is the new DC, you can expect a big improvement the first season. After that he seems to regress to the mean and his defenses are pretty average. I think once other teams figure out what Wade likes to do with his personnel, they adjust and then Wade doesn't seem to adapt. Wade has had great pass rushers to work with: Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Shawn Merriman, Demarcus Ware, JJ Watt. I think he helped them be great pass rushers and they in turn have helped make his defenses better. I don't know if the Redskins have a pass rusher of that caliber for Phillips to develop.

Be a mistake. Gruden out if he has one more bad season. Wade out if he does
I think Wade would be ideal candidate. Already connection on the staff. Isn't looking to be a head coach anymore. Proven track record. Bring it.
From interviews here in Houston, I think Wade would love to be a head coach again. He is just smart enough to know he will probably have to be a DC first and then inherit the job. Of his 6 coaching stints, 3 have been interim jobs, 2 he was promoted after being the DC, and only one was he hired to be the head coach (Dallas).

Washington is probably a good place for him because I think the chance that Gruden does not work out there (based on his first season) is pretty high.

If Wade is the new DC, you can expect a big improvement the first season. After that he seems to regress to the mean and his defenses are pretty average. I think once other teams figure out what Wade likes to do with his personnel, they adjust and then Wade doesn't seem to adapt. Wade has had great pass rushers to work with: Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Shawn Merriman, Demarcus Ware, JJ Watt. I think he helped them be great pass rushers and they in turn have helped make his defenses better. I don't know if the Redskins have a pass rusher of that caliber for Phillips to develop.
Kerrigan isn't on those guys' level, but he's a very good pass rusher in his own right. Had 13.5 sacks this season.

Kerrigan isn't on those guys' level, but he's a very good pass rusher in his own right. Had 13.5 sacks this season.
I didn't realize he had that many sacks. He would probably continue to do very well under Wade.

PFT reports nine teams are eligible to be drafted to be on Hard Knocks. And the Redskins are one of them.

Personally, I think the show is a distraction to teams. But if you want ratings, it seems like you have to pick the Redskins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/nine-teams-possible-to-be-drafted-into-hard-knocks/
That would be good TV especially if RG3 is back.
Seems like a good ratings fit, but it would be an open invitation for name protesters. I don't think that would be good for the league.

That would be good TV especially if RG3 is back.
I think Philadelphia should volunteer for it. Chip Kelly could be the actor, director, producer and audience all at the same time! :P

Kidding aside, agree with Sebowski that there is too big of a risk with name protestors jumping into the fray. NFL should stay away from this one...

It's not incentive enough because his pockets matter more than the fan in him. So far everything else is working for him. If WINNING really mattered to him, he'd scrap his way and actually have a front office that was in the traditional mold that basically ALL the other NFL teams run. He's successful in every way except for "ON THE FIELD."

How much more can this team be distracted? Unless there is serious change, doubt it hurts them...probably fits right in with the circus at Redskins Park!

Ian Rapoport, Albert Breer, and others reporting on Twitter that Scot McCloughan will be GM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy ####### ####, it's actually happening. We're actually hiring a real football mind, a real talent evaluator, to run #### and shifting Allen over to contracts and Harvest Fests.

Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god

This is amazing. This is literally the only thing Snyder could have done at any point in the next five years to get my hopes up in a real meaningful way.

Scary to think we might have our first real football person evaluating players and talent at Redskins Park. Much to be done, but will love to see where it starts and where along the way we get to...

Is he still an alcoholic?
You don't stop being an alcoholic.

Keep him away from Snyder and his Crown Royal and it should be okay lol.

I have to believe he has been given FULL and complete control, to come here.
I think he has full control. He wouldn't go to the Raiders because they wouldn't give him 100% control of everything. I would think if he chose to come here and work with Dan, he has to have wanted full control.

Users who are viewing this thread