What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pet peeve (1 Viewer)

Minor pet peeve: when people use a sandwich metaphor without understanding the naming conventions of sandwiches. Like if Bill, Ted, and Bill are sitting in a row and Ted says "look, I'm in a Bill sandwich." Wrong, Ted. The Bills are the bread in a Ted sandwich.
How often does this happen to peeve you? 

common courtesy and manners should dictate those, yes - but we are looooong down the road to IDGAF mentality by these cretins - and it's irreversible. 
This is the kind of crap that happens from not living under a fascist regime. Bet nobody pulled this kind of crap in 1938 Berlin.

showed up this AM at the pool to get a swim in. 

early morning is usually quiet, but today there were more people than normal. i scan the pools (there are two, one short course and one long course) and i see a lane open in the long course pool. perfect. 

i put my towel down and head over to the bin to grab a kickboard, and i see a woman coming out of the locker room heading to ward the LC pool. a guy waiting on the wall shouts to her: "Hey Jane! Come over here and get in this lane (points to empty lane next to him) before that guy (points at me) gets in." 

while the open lane doesn't have my name on it, common courtesy implies "first come, first served" in terms of getting in the water. of course, she speed-walks over to the pool and hops in, and then spends five minutes adjusting her goggles, putting her hair up in her cap, stretching on the wall, and chatting it up with the doosher who called out to her. 

jerks. 
Why not just in the lane with her?  

This is the kind of crap that happens from not living under a fascist regime. Bet nobody pulled this kind of crap in 1938 Berlin.
:goodposting:

####### subhumans, i tell ya - i would give my left nut to proudly insert my jackboot up one of their savage asses with no repercussions  :hot:

sbonomo said:
Why not just in the lane with her?  
Lanes are kinda tight. And circle swim isn't that much fun, especially if the people in a lane aren't going at comparable speeds. 

Lanes are kinda tight. And circle swim isn't that much fun, especially if the people in a lane aren't going at comparable speeds. 
This is where you get to push your point home, you jump in front of me i will be in your way the entire time.  Please do this and report back!

1) the division of the company i work for includes the word "services".  it's printed all over everything we send out. it's in our email signatures, etc. it's "services".  #!$^%$ insists on calling it "servicing" as some sort of, what he thinks is, subversive maneuvering.  makes me want to punch every surface in the office.  such a small thing but such is life in an office environment. :boxing:

2) how people here (the midwest generally maybe) begin to lament the end of summer & talk about fall STARTING IN JULY.  for weeks now i've been hearing people say "well, now that summer is almost over" and "we're getting ready to close the cabin before the end of the season" and "i hate that summer is so short".  

now that it's the end of August, PEOPLE ARE ALREADY TALKING ABOUT WINTER

####!

common courtesy and manners should dictate those, yes - but we are looooong down the road to IDGAF mentality by these cretins - and it's irreversible. 
seems to be a dearth of common courtesy these days here in the city. I end up more surprised when I see small gestures and moves made by people to do something that shows the give a crap about other people in the world... and I always try to complement whomever did it. actually saw a white guy get up for a pregnant lady on the subway... I honestly don't remember the last time I saw that subset do that. always the young black dude that's offering... followed closely by spanished fellas. 

easy to ramble endlessly about commuting stuff- whether in NYC or anywhere. subways, cars, buses... lots of things can happen to make those experiences just a tiny bit better... or worse. doesn't take much.

in that line.. latest pet peeve happens during my daily commute via Citibike (bike share). we finally have bike lanes here- mostly safe, but the fairly frequent pedestrian with their head in their phone pops into it midblock, or from behind a car, or trying to jaywalk. I've come to expect those... even though I don't like them, my recent ire is directed at this guy: rush-hour jogger guy. I'm more important than you and I don't want to have zig-zag around the pedestrians on the rush-hour sidewalk so I'll run in the bikelane instead- looks pretty clear ahead of me. #### you guy. now the somewhat safe bikelane that barely fits two bikes across becomes not-so safe as people have to navigate around you while avoiding eachother and the head-in-phone pedestrians. I've run literally thousands and thousands of miles in this city... not one inch in a freaking bikelane. how about you take your self-important ### into the street and let the cars avoid you.

@El Floppo

re: relinquishing seats on trains ... i have been doing that for decades, since i was brave enough to first venture down there, when i was about 8 yrs. old. 

to a fault.  "Ma'am, please take my seat" without fail.  

everyone i grew up with is/was equally chivalrous (white kids, now guys) ... the folks you're referencing must be the carpetbaggers who wouldn't know the subway from a hole in the ground. 

we were bought up differently, in a different era ... but, still ... it's a basic matter of underground etiquette. 

it 's one thing to live in NYC, quite another to actually be from here. 

@El Floppo

re: relinquishing seats on trains ... i have been doing that for decades, since i was brave enough to first venture down there, when i was about 8 yrs. old. 

to a fault.  "Ma'am, please take my seat" without fail.  

everyone i grew up with is/was equally chivalrous (white kids, now guys) ... the folks you're referencing must be the carpetbaggers who wouldn't know the subway from a hole in the ground. 

we were bought up differently, in a different era ... but, still ... it's a basic matter of underground etiquette. 

it 's one thing to live in NYC, quite another to actually be from here. 
I've always tried to be aware as well, even though I've only lived here 30 years and am not actually from here. just noting from that experience- and made very aware when my wife's been preggers and also trying to get around with two young kids- that white guys are always the most self-absorbed group and least likely to get up for people. 

damn skippy I make sure my kids are keeping an eye open and doing basic things in and around our daily commute to school on the subways... let the passengers off first, don't stand by the door if you can't help it, take off your backpack, don't lean on the pole, move into the middle of the train car, stay to the right while going up the stair, etc.

my son (now 10) has become really aware of the elderly and parents with small children and is getting up to offer before I even see them. went out of his way walking down the sidewalk the other day to open the door for a woman coming out of a store with her hands full with bags- very proud moment for me. I don't even know how he saw her from the sidewalk- she was still inside the store. but he doesn't have a phone yet. also doesn't walk around with peers unsupervised yet- still has a chaperone at pretty much all times he's out of the apartment. (eta: I'm hoping these years will stay with him as he begins to maneuver the city solo or with peers... tween/teens are usually the dopeyist people moving around the city- completely oblivious to the world around them)

but conversely, and talking about my kids... I've been genuinely surprised by how many people on the morning rush-hour commute offer my kids- especially my youngest who was 5 going to K- their seat. for some reason this never happens with my wife... but I'd say almost half of the trips in the morning somebody offers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
1) the division of the company i work for includes the word "services".  it's printed all over everything we send out. it's in our email signatures, etc. it's "services".  #!$^%$ insists on calling it "servicing" as some sort of, what he thinks is, subversive maneuvering.  makes me want to punch every surface in the office.  such a small thing but such is life in an office environment. :boxing:

2) how people here (the midwest generally maybe) begin to lament the end of summer & talk about fall STARTING IN JULY.  for weeks now i've been hearing people say "well, now that summer is almost over" and "we're getting ready to close the cabin before the end of the season" and "i hate that summer is so short".  

now that it's the end of August, PEOPLE ARE ALREADY TALKING ABOUT WINTER

####!
I'm in Ohio.  Even though its "fall" its still summer here.  80+ degrees.  NOBODY thinks its almost fall in July when the humidity is through the roof.  WTF....you are out of your mind.

walking in the door from work to "not complaining"

there's no right answer. whether it be listening or solutioning, disciplining or negotiating. going about my business or getting involved. it's always wrong. and while we're going through that, someone has to cook dinner. hunger being the driver of the "not complaining" that requires my attention/none of my attention.

just once i wish decisions could be made independently. just once. it's my dream. at this point the decision could be a full on melee in my living room while i watch the news.. just. do. something.

Minor pet peeve: when people use a sandwich metaphor without understanding the naming conventions of sandwiches. Like if Bill, Ted, and Bill are sitting in a row and Ted says "look, I'm in a Bill sandwich." Wrong, Ted. The Bills are the bread in a Ted sandwich.
Sounds like an excellent movie!

I worked the front of grocery stores for years through high school and college. Always, always, always approach the next person in line. Quietly tell them to follow you to the next register over. Start checking them out, then officially open that register for everyone else. 

That little bit of effort always resulted in huge customer satisfaction.
You'd be my hero.

I came up to a group of 5 registers a couple days ago, with only the far left and middle one open. Two people in the left line, three in the middle, so I get in line on the left. Of course, the person in front takes a long time, a few people get behind me, while the other line whizzes through. First woman finally finishes, guy directly ahead of me gets up and almost immediately has some issue that slows everything down again.  Both lines start to back up and another staff finally approaches, but they open up the one directly to the right of the middle one, so people in the back of the middle one (who have been waiting all of about 20 seconds) jump over.  Few minutes go by and I see another staff come up, so I'm ready to move, but of course, they open the one all the way to the right, so I have no chance and the people that just got in the brand new line have their pick.  Stupid staff.

I was laughing about it today while listening to some comedian on the radio who was talking about how he knew he wasn't a good person because of the difference in his reaction to hearing about the Holocaust to his reaction to the person ahead of him at the Taco Bell taking 7 minutes to order.   :bag:

parasaurolophus said:
when people call pizza "pie". 

Just call it pizza. 
Or "sammiches" or "sammies".  When did it become acceptable for grown men to speak baby talk?  Also include the word yummy.  Disgraceful no matter the usage, but especially if it's regarding a FF match up.

parasaurolophus said:
when people call pizza "pie". 

Just call it pizza. 
Or "sammiches" or "sammies".  When did it become acceptable for grown men to speak baby talk?  Also include the word yummy.  Disgraceful no matter the usage, but especially if it's regarding a FF match up.
sammy is bad.

but pie? you get a slice or the whole pie. you don't tell the pizza place- I'll have a pizza... at least not here in NYC you don't. I wonder if this is a city vs suburbs thing... I don't remember being able to buy pizza by the slice in the suburbs.

sammy is bad.

but pie? you get a slice or the whole pie. you don't tell the pizza place- I'll have a pizza... at least not here in NYC you don't. I wonder if this is a city vs suburbs thing... I don't remember being able to buy pizza by the slice in the suburbs.
Oh sure, like nobody has been to NYC before.  :P

jhib said:
You'd be my hero.

I came up to a group of 5 registers a couple days ago, with only the far left and middle one open. Two people in the left line, three in the middle, so I get in line on the left. Of course, the person in front takes a long time, a few people get behind me, while the other line whizzes through. First woman finally finishes, guy directly ahead of me gets up and almost immediately has some issue that slows everything down again.  Both lines start to back up and another staff finally approaches, but they open up the one directly to the right of the middle one, so people in the back of the middle one (who have been waiting all of about 20 seconds) jump over.  Few minutes go by and I see another staff come up, so I'm ready to move, but of course, they open the one all the way to the right, so I have no chance and the people that just got in the brand new line have their pick.  Stupid staff.

I was laughing about it today while listening to some comedian on the radio who was talking about how he knew he wasn't a good person because of the difference in his reaction to hearing about the Holocaust to his reaction to the person ahead of him at the Taco Bell taking 7 minutes to order.   :bag:
Went to a starbucks drive thru yesterday. Woman ahead of me takes forever to order. I can hear her and she keeps trying to order seasonal items they dont have anymore or dont have yet. Then she starts asking all sorts of questions about the food. Can i get it made this way, do you have a gluten free version, blah blah. Finally we move forward. She is at the window and I see the person hand her the bag and she hands it right back. She also has to pay some cash and some credit. Then we wait. I see the my drink and the drinks start stacking up from all the cars behind me. Tell the damn car to park and get the other people their simple orders. Terribly inefficient. The amount of anger I had over this situation was not healthy.  

<-- emails department manager for a project update. 

department manager: oh, sorry. i forgot to reply to your previous email (2 weeks ago)

<--asks if the project will be completed on schedule & if not how i can assist to ensure that it is

department manager: i'll reply to your original message

(NARRATOR): she never replied

:confused:

sammy is bad.

this. 

i never heard anyone oder "a pizza"  :lmao:

it's either "gimme a pie" or "gimme one" (meaning one pie).

dafuq is wrong with people who can't ascertain said ordering etiquette?

I'm at a store with one register open. I get it 'cause there was only the person in front of me, but the person in front literally had like 50 items and I had 4. 

So while I'm waiting, the line behind me starts to stack up to maybe 5 people deep and the person in front of me has an issue that brings their transaction to a halt for a bit. The store finally opens another register and the employee says "I can help the next person in line". I've clearly waited the longest, but the people at the very end of the my line, who hadn't waited but maybe 30 seconds, jumps over and gets rang up immediately.

So playing off the "who's at fault" theme of the driving situation thread, who's at fault? The customers who jumped lines, knowing there were people in line much longer, or the employee for not taking literally, the next person in line? 

Wasn't a big deal, but that is indeed a pet peeve. When this happens and I have the opportunity to jump lines, I ask the people in front of me if they want to go first in the new line.

What day-to-day pet peeves you got?
This is why I like stores having the single line funneling to the registers, so the cashier can just call for the next in line. Then if there is a new register opening they can just work with the single line.

A pet peeve of mine is the over use (and improper use) of the word 'literally.' I am having to break my little girl (11 y.o.) from using this one.

Pie is a dessert. 
Chicken Pot Pie?

Pie is more of a method.

From Wiki

A pie is a baked dish which is usually made of a pastry dough casing that covers or completely contains a filling of various sweet or savory ingredients.

Pies are defined by their crusts. A filled pie (also single-crust or bottom-crust), has pastry lining the baking dish, and the filling is placed on top of the pastry but left open. A top-crust pie has the filling in the bottom of the dish and is covered with a pastry or other covering before baking. A two-crust pie has the filling completely enclosed in the pastry shell.

A pizza would be a filled pie.

Pie is a dessert. 
Chicken Pot Pie?

Pie is more of a method.

From Wiki

A pie is a baked dish which is usually made of a pastry dough casing that covers or completely contains a filling of various sweet or savory ingredients.

Pies are defined by their crusts. A filled pie (also single-crust or bottom-crust), has pastry lining the baking dish, and the filling is placed on top of the pastry but left open. A top-crust pie has the filling in the bottom of the dish and is covered with a pastry or other covering before baking. A two-crust pie has the filling completely enclosed in the pastry shell.
A pizza would be a filled pie.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL coaches trying to prove that they are tough by not wearing adequately warm clothing on the sidelines

buddy, it's cold. we all know you're freezing your moobs off. you don't have anything to prove. your frostbitten face is going to hurt for weeks.

Motorists that slow down to rubberneck an accident on the other side of a highway. Those ###holes slow down traffic for about 2 miles so they can look at an incident they have nothing to do with. I've never been one to express road rage, but in these cases I'd understand why someone would want to shoot another driver in the face.

Two lane drive thrus when you order and are waiting for the car ahead of you to pull up and when they do some jagon from the other lane who just yelled “super size it” as they peel ahead to get in front of me. I stare at them and when I see them looking out of the corner of their eye I give the finger wag. Like Mutumbo, not the finger you’re thinking of.  Actually have had a couple people back up and let me in. 

I’m pretty laid back, but when someone is being stupid like this, or swim lane stealer, or register robber, I speak up- whether it benefits me or someone else. A lot of people are afraid of the confrontation, and just meekly wait it out. It doesn’t always result in any change, but guy who cut in the checkout line gets to hear me talk about how rude it is, to his face, while his groceries are rung in. Then I push my cart behind his car and leave it there as he’s leaving if I have the chance. Get out and move it f-er. Much more satisfying than empty physical threats. 

I'm sure this is just me being angry but my family and especially wife do this and drive me nuts....

Ask me to do something then insist on "helping".  Then just drive me crazy because I'm not doing it their way. Either do it yourself or let me do it.  If I need help I'll ask.

And number 2. Keep asking the same question even if I answered.   Your mom wants to know when little belljr can visit.  When does bball start?  I know they have practice 12/1. That's all I know.   So when are games?  I don't know.  When is the schedule come out?  She has practice 12/1 that's all I know.   So when do you think they will have it.  I DON'T KNOW!!! :wall:

you don't have to get loud......

Ask me to do something then insist on "helping".  Then just drive me crazy because I'm not doing it their way. Either do it yourself or let me do it.  If I need help I'll ask.
this. by god. this.

that task you said you were going to take care of months ago but "don't have time for" which you have now asked me to do for you..... just let me do it so it gets done. don't hover over me telling me what to do, how to do it and finally grabbing the tools from my hands.

terrific one from yesterday

MIL and wife cooked Thanksgiving dinner. it was OK. nothing is seasoned for.... reasons. i politely ate as much as i could handle, cleaned up after myself, cleaned up after the kids and went to watch football.

got up an hour later to hit the head. nothing had been touched. just dirty plates, food left out, etc. everywhere. i know how this story ends.. with her kids leaving and the dishes sitting out on the table for ...... a week? more? food rotting on the plates. in my family, we clean up after meals. everyone pitches in at Thanksgiving. #### is picked up, put away and dishes are washed within the hour.

my kids are there during the week after school. i can't let it sit like that so i start cleaning up. no one lifts a finger to help, as expected. i'm getting fed up with it so i decide to leave after the food is cleaned up and most of the dishes rinsed. wife & MIL come in.

MIL: furley, do you want to take home any leftovers? your wife says you probably want some leftovers

me: nope

MIL: yeah, i didn't think so. your wife wants some but she's being lazy and doesn't want to do it herself so she told me to ask you if you wanted any.

MIL: she's expecting you to pack some leftovers to take home, you know

wife: honey, you like stuffing. are you sure you don't want any?

wife: :mellow:  what about the turkey and green bean casserole? you don't want any potatoes or anything? 

wife: :hot: what about the pie?

wife: ............................................................................................ well i want to take some home.

me: OK

wife: .............................................................................................. :hot: fine. i guess we don't need any since you won't help pack up the leftovers. :hot: what are the kids going to eat for dinner all weekend if we just throw these leftovers out? :hot:  

me: (exit) 

Users who are viewing this thread