What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (1 Viewer)

Big time throws yesterday. It was nice to see Russell Shephard make some plays for Winston. This guy needs more weapons. 

Pretty impressive considering the skill positions are decimated outside of Evans. 
Very good point. It was great to see someone step up and do something other than Evans. Sheppard made some pretty difficult catches and looked great yesterday. Let's hope he can keep this up and become a reliable weapon for Jameis.

He was better than Cam this week

Sure is a plus owning Evens too

Gonna ride these two into some cash this year 

How long was vjax having knee issues?  Seems like just having a healthy WR (Sheppard) made a significant impact.  

V-Jax looked like garbage all season and even for most of last year. Sheppard looked like a huge upgrade on Sunday, but it was only 1 game and against the 49ers so we'll see if he can keep it up.

Bill Simmons frequently talks about a "good/bad" team. That's the one that beats up on the teams it should beat up on, but will rarely surprise you with an upset of one of the league's top powers. I think Jameis is clearly this year's good/bad QB. He'll put up great stats against the likes of Atlanta, LA, and SF, but if his match-up is a tough one (Denver, AZ) he'll underperform. (The Carolina game doesn't really fit that narrative; he was OK, but mostly reined in by Koetter's conservative play calling).

So while it's disappointing that he hasn't made the leap some of us were expecting, it's helpful to know this pattern, especially since he has a pretty cake schedule ROS, other than KC and Seattle in Weeks 11-12. My plan is to find a replacement for those two weeks and start him with confidence the rest of the time, especially during the playoffs.

Bill Simmons frequently talks about a "good/bad" team. That's the one that beats up on the teams it should beat up on, but will rarely surprise you with an upset of one of the league's top powers. I think Jameis is clearly this year's good/bad QB. He'll put up great stats against the likes of Atlanta, LA, and SF, but if his match-up is a tough one (Denver, AZ) he'll underperform. (The Carolina game doesn't really fit that narrative; he was OK, but mostly reined in by Koetter's conservative play calling).

So while it's disappointing that he hasn't made the leap some of us were expecting, it's helpful to know this pattern, especially since he has a pretty cake schedule ROS, other than KC and Seattle in Weeks 11-12. My plan is to find a replacement for those two weeks and start him with confidence the rest of the time, especially during the playoffs.
This week vs oak might be one of his better games too

I fully agree with this.  I think he has a chance to finish as a top 8 qb rest of the way based on his upcoming matchups.  I see a lot of shootouts on the horizon.  Game scripts where Koetter will have no choice but to unleash him and let him throw to get back in the game or to simply keep going toe to toe with better offenses.  .  

Thoughts on last week?  I know I expected more.

Tomorrow night should be good.  Everybody's going to be watching him.
He didn't play well at all. I know the haters here don't want to listen to it, but when Mike gets doubled or tripled there is almost nowhere to go with the ball. 

It was roster malpractice not to surround this guy with more young talent this offseason. 

He didn't play well at all. I know the haters here don't want to listen to it, but when Mike gets doubled or tripled there is almost nowhere to go with the ball. 

It was roster malpractice not to surround this guy with more young talent this offseason. 
That and he overthrew guys wide open deep several times.  I know, the wind.  Didn't seem to bother Carr.

Winston didn't play well against Oakland. Had a chance to hit Mike on a few deep balls and they were overthrown. Even with him not having a good game for himself, he still had 18 fantasy points though which is pretty solid. I think he'll reach that with a definite chance of having 20+ against the Falcons. He's gonna have to throw since we have a bunch of RB's from off the streets and the defense won't be stopping the Falcons.

Licht is such an idiot for not bringing in more weapons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winston didn't play well against Oakland. Had a chance to hit Mike on seem deep balls and they were overthrown. Even with him not having a good game for himself, he still had 18 fantasy points though which is pretty solid. I think he'll reach that with a definite chance of having 20+ against the Falcons. He's gonna have to throw since we have a bunch of RB's from off the streets and the defense won't be stopping the Falcons.

Licht is such an idiot for not bringing in more weapons.
I sure hope so

The Buccs are gonna throw 50 times. Last time I said that about a player they threw is 60 times to prove me wrong. So expect way more than 50.

He did play poorly last week (cost me a w by not being able to hit Evans), but what are they gonna do this week?  Think game script. There's no way they will slow down atlanta's offense.  They'll be playing from behind all game.  This is a week where you can see jameis throw for 400 yds and 3-4 tds.   These are the weeks I drafted him for.  

I am trying to get him for the two games he plays in the playoffs that will be a track meet. Tough sailing after his two good weeks fantasy wise.

Guys I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but who is he throwing these 400 yards to? Adam Humphries? Cecil Short? Antoine Smith? Peyton Barber? Mike James? Some guy named Dye? Even Sheppard is hurt. 

Mike is going to see double/triples and it's going be a struggle. 

Yes, he threw 400 against LA with Humphries getting 100, 132 to evans, 46 to brate, 77 to RBs, Vjax and Shep accounted for 44. Evans was quadruple covered that game.

Tampa Bay Rec Yds Avg Long TD Tgt FL
Mike Evans 10 132 13.2 19 1 14 0
Adam Humphries 9 100 11.1 31 0 12 0
Charles Sims 6 69 11.5 33 0 8 0
Cameron Brate 5 46 9.2 20 2 10 0
Vincent Jackson 3 37 12.3 16 0 6 0
Jacquizz Rodgers 1 8 8.0 8 0 1 0
Brandon Myers 1 7 7.0 7 0 3 0
Russell Shepard 1 6 6.0 6 0 2 0
Alan Cross 0 0 N/A 0 0 1 0

Didnt want to be the bearer of bad news to your point you attempted to make, but I had to show you your point is not valid.

The lack of receivers is definitely a concern, but Winston had opportunities last game to have probably a 300+ game. He just needs to be accurate and Dirk needs to be creative with the playcalls. We're not talking about facing an elite Broncos defense here or anything, it's the Falcons.

He hasnt had WRs all year. Old VJax was not a difference maker at all. AT ALL. He is a Top 10 QB in ppg in all my leagues. He is making due with underrated players.

Yes, he threw 400 against LA with Humphries getting 100, 132 to evans, 46 to brate, 77 to RBs, Vjax and Shep accounted for 44. Evans was quadruple covered that game.

Tampa Bay Rec Yds Avg Long TD Tgt FL
Mike Evans 10 132 13.2 19 1 14 0
Adam Humphries 9 100 11.1 31 0 12 0
Charles Sims 6 69 11.5 33 0 8 0
Cameron Brate 5 46 9.2 20 2 10 0
Vincent Jackson 3 37 12.3 16 0 6 0
Jacquizz Rodgers 1 8 8.0 8 0 1 0
Brandon Myers 1 7 7.0 7 0 3 0
Russell Shepard 1 6 6.0 6 0 2 0
Alan Cross 0 0 N/A 0 0 1 0

Didnt want to be the bearer of bad news to your point you attempted to make, but I had to show you your point is not valid.
Well except for the fact he doesn't have 3 of those top-6 players on the list now, spot-on point. 

Lol

hey Jameis doesn't have any receivers 

"ok but look at this game where he threw for 400 yards!"

yea but he now doesn't have half that list, that's the point...

"profit?"

He hasnt had WRs all year. Old VJax was not a difference maker at all. AT ALL. He is a Top 10 QB in ppg in all my leagues. He is making due with underrated players.
Not a difference maker but way better than what they have now. Martin and Sims are the real killer. 

Yeah that 4 for 46 is hard to replace from Quizz and Vjax that game. Sims? A backup RB? Yup Backups are what they used all season at RB. You have no point, you are saying someone cant do with backups and scrubs when they already did it with backups and scrubs.

400 is highly unlikely for everyone, but your point is not a point. Your point is rhetoric. He hasnt had Martin all year and Sims was a backup too.

Sims is an extremely talented receiver out of the backfield.  His absence has been felt.  It's difficult for any offense to continue to sustain production when all of the weapons are injured or nonexistent.  Quizz is/was a fun story, but Doug was producing at a better clip last year.  Doug would have been making more yards per play.  Sims made countless plays on screens and draws.  There are no receivers outside of Evans.  Sheppard has made some splash plays, but now he's hurt as well.

Not excuses.  Jameis left some plays out there against Oakland.  He hits one of those and they probably win the game.

Tampa will be drafting weapons early and often for him this off-season.

Curious what folks think about the pass-catching abilities of the RBs they're left with -- Smith Barber James.  Any of them any good out of the backfield?

Conceivably, that could determine which guy gets the most snaps.

Lol

hey Jameis doesn't have any receivers 

"ok but look at this game where he threw for 400 yards!"

yea but he now doesn't have half that list, that's the point...

"profit?"
Lmao

hes missing vjax, sims and jaqizz, from that list none of whom did anything special that game....none of whom are special players anymore... 1 catch for 8 yards...he's missing that guy?  Wow he's ####ed....

Lmao

hes missing vjax, sims and jaqizz, from that list none of whom did anything special that game....none of whom are special players anymore... 1 catch for 8 yards...he's missing that guy?  Wow he's ####ed....
Yes that's all quizz did this year. 

Look I don't care who any of your dorks start on your stupid fantasy team. You can start your mom for all I care. But guys like Graham and I are fairly well dialed in to the Bucs and he simply does not have talent around him, certainly not similar to what he had in week 1. It's not even an argument worth having. 

Curious what folks think about the pass-catching abilities of the RBs they're left with -- Smith Barber James.  Any of them any good out of the backfield?

I remember Smith being a pretty good pass catcher for a while there with Atlanta. Small sample size, though.

Debating Jameis vs Mariota this week. Leaning Winston, but I'm always wary of the "He had a great game against them the first time they played" argument. It just never seems to work out that way.

Not about the great game, its about the chance he will have likely playing from behind, garbage time, bad defense. All of it works. I consider nothing of last game, that was in a dome. This is at home too.

Smith is by far the best pass catcher but may be the weakest runner. James is average in every sense of the word. Barber might end up being an ok runner but has stone hands and doesn't pick up the blitzers well yet. 

So in my opinion he looked a little bit crazy in that shot of him screaming at the offensive players... eyes bulging... head bobbing around...  not quite the reassured confidence I would like my qb to show.

He does that a lot. He's mentally unstable.
Until he matures I think it will be tough for the Tampa Bay to have prolonged success with him acting like that.  They will just continue to have a string of ups and downs.  Compare that to Brady, Wilson or Rodgers. They have their moments where they get frustrated and/or angry, but they dont lose control or have that wild look.

Users who are viewing this thread