What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (4 Viewers)

The $50M signing bonus covers the $45M that's guaranteed for '24? Gotta be, isn't it? Or, they're handing him $95M this year? That's insane!

Cousins will retire as one of the top earners in NFL history. In part its a "right place right time" thing, but also due to his own shrewd management of his contract situation and trust in himself. This explains why someone like Russel Wilson would sign a one-year deal imo. FA is where the real big money is made for a starting level NFL QB and Cousins has now leveraged that status with Washington, Minnesota and Atlanta to great success.

Cousins will retire as one of the top earners in NFL history. In part its a "right place right time" thing, but also due to his own shrewd management of his contract situation and trust in himself. This explains why someone like Russel Wilson would sign a one-year deal imo. FA is where the real big money is made for a starting level NFL QB and Cousins has now leveraged that status with Washington, Minnesota and Atlanta to great success.
Cousins having earned $14 million more than Tom Brady for their careers is astounding.

The franchise tag was his friend back in the day. Wash tried to use it to force him into a deal and he kept saying no. As long as he kept performing he was gonna get more and more money. I love Kirk’s skills but he simply hasn’t performed in key games to a level that justifies his dollars. When you get into what he’s made there have to be playoff wins. That being said it is a good signing for ATL, as long as he stays healthy for 2 years.

Last edited:
Big improvement for ATL as this probably gets them into the playoffs. Unfortunately Kirk likely guarantees a quick exit from said playoffs :P
Funny. The thing is, that's what they would have said wherever he went. But he has only made the postseason 4 times in 12 years. And 2 of those times were with WAS way back when. So he really didn't get MIN over the hump even in his prime. He can sling it though and I wish him the best in ATL.

Big improvement for ATL as this probably gets them into the playoffs. Unfortunately Kirk likely guarantees a quick exit from said playoffs :P
Funny. The thing is, that's what they would have said wherever he went. But he has only made the postseason 4 times in 12 years. And 2 of those times were with WAS way back when. So he really didn't get MIN over the hump even in his prime. He can sling it though and I wish him the best in ATL.

Yeah, put the smiley in as I am being a bit facetious. I don’t believe he can change his stripes as coming up small in big games or being a guy more concerned about stats than wins, but its a huge improvement for ATL, with great weapons for him to succeed and a weak division.

I wish the best for Cousins, and appreciate his time in MN, I don't personally think he can be blamed for Vikes' playoff failures. The Vikes front office failed to get them over the hump, not Cousins.

How does this affect JJ in Minnesota? It's gotta hurt.
Great receivers typically get theirs regardless.
Agreed. He just may not be THE #1 WR anymore. He'll still be damn good though.
I could see him falling to the same tier as Chase/Lamb, whereas before he was a clear cut ahead of them.

I don’t see his floor as lower than those guys as he’s likely very QB-proof.

What could hold him back is lack of team production. Not picking up 1st downs, extending drives, RZ frequency, etc.

But yeah, he’s still gonna be JJ

$230M+ before signing with Atlanta, should vault over $300M easily

I wish the best for Cousins, and appreciate his time in MN, I don't personally think he can be blamed for Vikes' playoff failures. The Vikes front office failed to get them over the hump, not Cousins.
Was going to say the exact same thing. Cousins was by no means any part of the reason the Vikes have underperformed while he has been there. The Defense and the bend don't break mentality for the first few years was the absolute reason they faltered. Cousins played great and I hate to see him go.

what happens in Minny?
They have to have something up their sleeve, or they are all asleep.
Hey, I'm a fan regardless but think you give this front office way more credit than is deserved thinking they have something up their sleeve. They do not. They just sort of goof around at the QB position, like last year using midround on Jaren Hall, or 2021 on Kellen Mond. Nate Stanley (2020 7th) is the only other QB they have drafted since 2014. Sure, Kwesi was only around for Hall but I think that pick was proof of continuity of incompetence finding QBOTF. Far more likely they do something desperate like paying 3x for a pick to make it look like they had a plan.

Dobbs... Mullens... Perhaps got even worse w Darnold.

Such a mega woof, I'd be near tears if I was heavily invested in him. That said, he'd still be a top 5 at worst, likelier top 3 wr pick in redraft... But Im not sure Id wanna be forced into that position this season.

Such a mega woof, I'd be near tears if I was heavily invested in him. That said, he'd still be a top 5 at worst, likelier top 3 wr pick in redraft... But Im not sure Id wanna be forced into that position this season.
Is this what happens when you post at 4:30 in the morning?

I'm in europe, fella.
But seriously, this is worst case scenario for JJ. Worst case.

how does this guy keep getting stupid money?

Nick Wagoner
Kirk Cousins a first-ballot Business of Football Hall of Famer. Can do nothing but respect it.

Wagoner stealing Andrew Brandt’s schtick here

Cousins was already inducted in the Business HoF’s inaugural class in the summer of 2021. This monster deal announced yesterday only adds to the legend.

Kirk Cousins (Career earnings: $161.7 million in 10 seasons and counting)
Cousins reaped fabulous financial rewards because the Washington Football Team only wanted to “date” and not “marry” him. The team did not offer him a serious contract extension before applying consecutive franchise tags in 2016 and ’17. Cousins was one of the few productive quarterbacks in history to reach the hallowed ground of free agency and leveraged that status with the first fully guaranteed veteran contract in NFL history, an $84 million deal with the Vikings. And in 2020, using the leverage of the last year of that deal coupled with the Vikings’ cap issues, Cousins cashed in again. Cousins will likely retire as one of the top earners ever, with many more successful quarterbacks ranking below him in career earnings.

I'm in europe, fella.
But seriously, this is worst case scenario for JJ. Worst case.
Just a light jab that this is the Kirk Cousins thread.

No need to prove it? They'd just penalize them cause of an off the cuff comment? That's the NFL.
But yeah, shut up Kirk
No. They'll investigate them. They will check phone records, text messages, interview both Cousins and the others involved.

If it goes that route, they won't lose a pick this year... but they'll lose a much higher pick in the future if proven guilty.

If Atlanta is smart, they self report like AZ did last year in their head coach search and accept a much smaller punishment.

According to NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah, Kirk Cousin’s agent was not told that the Falcons planned to draft Michael Penix with the eighth pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.

Speaking during NFL Network’s live draft coverage, Jeremiah mentioned that he reached out to Cousin’s agent, Mike McCartney, who said that neither he nor Cousins were given a heads-up by the Falcons that they were going to take Penix. Considering the Falcons just signed Cousins to a four-year, $180 million contract, the fact that the Falcons would draft a quarterback in the first round and also not tell Cousins is doubly shocking. Penix is also one of the older quarterbacks in the class at 24 years old, so he’ll be 28 by the time Cousins’ contract is over. This certainly doesn’t seem like a situation where the Falcons plan to have both players on the roster for a long time, but what their exact plan is remains anybody’s guess.
-
NFL Network

I was driving to work listening to the draft, and thought: “Man, what an absolute trainwreck ATL is for this pick.”

Little did I know they hadn’t given Cousins a heads up about their plans.

Users who are viewing this thread