What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Gus Edwards, LAC (2 Viewers)

There’s a long list of players, including the subject of this thread, worth a stash in dynasty. I wouldn’t argue with that, but the fact he’s “worth a stash” pretty much backs up the thought at this point he’s a long shot to be a productive NFL player.
Agreed:

Again, I'm not saying he's anything more than a long shot, but it's premature to write him off completely. Let's just see what his age 25 season looks like.

Again, I'm not saying he's anything more than a long shot, but it's premature to write him off completely. Let's just see what his age 25 season looks like.
Is there even a guarantee he's in the league next year, much less on the Ravens? 

He has 1 year left on his rookie deal, but he costs them $800,000 to keep him, and $95,000 to cut him. 

I'm not sure they bring him back at that price. He's done nothing to show he deserves a roster spot. And don't reference his rookie year, as he was suspended following that for substance abuse- which can be anything but given the fact that he's been glass since he stopped using is indicative of what he was doing. Also let's not ignore that it's been almost 2 years since he's done anything significant.

I'd put my money on that he is cut following this season. Baltimore brings in a free agent back like Spencer Ware, TJ Yeldon, or Mark Ingram and drafts a RB early in the draft. Whether or not they decide to resign Gus Edwards or Ty Montgomery depends on the rest of the season. I suppose they could bring him back as their RB3, but he can't stay healthy and is just stealing their money at this point. 

Is there even a guarantee he's in the league next year, much less on the Ravens? 

He has 1 year left on his rookie deal, but he costs them $800,000 to keep him, and $95,000 to cut him. 

I'm not sure they bring him back at that price. He's done nothing to show he deserves a roster spot. And don't reference his rookie year, as he was suspended following that for substance abuse- which can be anything but given the fact that he's been glass since he stopped using is indicative of what he was doing. Also let's not ignore that it's been almost 2 years since he's done anything significant.

I'd put my money on that he is cut following this season. Baltimore brings in a free agent back like Spencer Ware, TJ Yeldon, or Mark Ingram and drafts a RB early in the draft. Whether or not they decide to resign Gus Edwards or Ty Montgomery depends on the rest of the season. I suppose they could bring him back as their RB3, but he can't stay healthy and is just stealing their money at this point. 
Are you insinuating he was using a real PED? The NFL suspends people for weed and adderall, so writing off his promising rookie year due to roids/HGH is a hell of a leap. And no, his injuries are not indicative of PEDs. As a doctor you should know that. I think one was a meniscus tear.. so.. c'mon. His injuries are indicative of playing a contact sport. Not David Boston injuries. 

And $800k is nothing. That's 4th string money. No incentive to cut someone at that rate unless they need the roster spot or if the player is a malcontent. If they were going to cut him, I really think they would have done it before now.

So I doubt they cut him, but wouldn't be shocked if they brought someone in. Thus, the "long shot" label I've given. However, Yeldon is basically a slower Buck Allen. The problem is that Baltimore isn't in good cap shape, so I doubt they'll be able to splurge on someone like Ingram. And before you say they'll save a bunch by cutting Flacco... they won't. $16M cap hit if they take it all in 2019. Or they can make him a post 6/1 cut and eat $10.5M for two seasons in a row. 

Would anyone be shocked to see Collins cut at this point? Clearly the staff isn’t fond of him. If they were why did this happen? Why did they bring in TyMont and why did the designate Dixon to return? 
I would not

they will have Gus and Dixon as the 1 2 punch

TyMont as the receiving back and Buck as the best pass blocker

i don’t see a role for Collins

Are you insinuating he was using a real PED? The NFL suspends people for weed and adderall, so writing off his promising rookie year due to roids/HGH is a hell of a leap. And no, his injuries are not indicative of PEDs. As a doctor you should know that. I think one was a meniscus tear.. so.. c'mon. His injuries are indicative of playing a contact sport. Not David Boston injuries. 

And $800k is nothing. That's 4th string money. No incentive to cut someone at that rate unless they need the roster spot or if the player is a malcontent. If they were going to cut him, I really think they would have done it before now.
If you read what I wrote, I said, "And don't reference his rookie year, as he was suspended following that for substance abuse- which can be anything "

Steroids increase the "brittleness" of soft tissues such as cartilage, tendons, and ligaments. The meniscus qualifies. Especially since it wasn't injured in game-action. That's telling also. No, he's not getting David Boston injuries, but you don't have to.

Your seriously pinning your hopes on a guy finally getting it together after 2 years? If he doesn't come back this year, almost 3 years? There aren't many NFL RBs who follow that recipe and have success... 

In my mind, there is a greater chance Dak wins Superbowl MVP than there is Dixon coming back and doing well enough to finish the season to give him a shot at being the starter next year. Especially given the fact that he hasn't returned to practice yet due to "Issues beyond the Raven's control." Which sounds to me like another possibly suspension.

The guy is done in Baltimore. Likely done in the NFL. 

Last edited by a moderator:
just some clarifications, had to go look it up because it was vague to me reading this thread. despite his age, he is on his rookie contract now, which is for 1 year, and he played at Rutgers last year for 1 year. he was "graduate transfer" to Rutgers from Miami. Nothing jumps out as stud, but enough here to warrant attention. He's making less than 450k this year, so i don't see any reason Ravens would cut him.

Who is Ravens' Gus Edwards? Ex-Rutgers star has breakout game vs. Cincinnati Bengals

Miami graduate transfer RB Gus Edwards commits to Rutgers after blocked from Pitt, Syracuse (this one is from 2/2017, good tidbits in here about his college career as a fullback and as a backup tailback at Miami and Rutgers)

just some clarifications, had to go look it up because it was vague to me reading this thread. despite his age, he is on his rookie contract now, which is for 1 year, and he played at Rutgers last year for 1 year. he was "graduate transfer" to Rutgers from Miami. Nothing jumps out as stud, but enough here to warrant attention. He's making less than 450k this year, so i don't see any reason Ravens would cut him.

Who is Ravens' Gus Edwards? Ex-Rutgers star has breakout game vs. Cincinnati Bengals

Miami graduate transfer RB Gus Edwards commits to Rutgers after blocked from Pitt, Syracuse (this one is from 2/2017, good tidbits in here about his college career as a fullback and as a backup tailback at Miami and Rutgers)
Sounds similar to Spencer Ware’s path.

If you read what I wrote, I said, "And don't reference his rookie year, as he was suspended following that for substance abuse- which can be anything "

Steroids increase the "brittleness" of soft tissues such as cartilage, tendons, and ligaments. The meniscus qualifies. Especially since it wasn't injured in game-action. That's telling also. No, he's not getting David Boston injuries, but you don't have to.

Your seriously pinning your hopes on a guy finally getting it together after 2 years? If he doesn't come back this year, almost 3 years? There aren't many NFL RBs who follow that recipe and have success... 

In my mind, there is a greater chance Dak wins Superbowl MVP than there is Dixon coming back and doing well enough to finish the season to give him a shot at being the starter next year. Especially given the fact that he hasn't returned to practice yet due to "Issues beyond the Raven's control." Which sounds to me like another possibly suspension.

The guy is done in Baltimore. Likely done in the NFL. 
You understand the contradiction, right? Why throw out his performance if the suspension could have been due to a non-performance enhancing substance? Trying to link his injuries to steroid usage is a really questionable rabbit hole to go down, though. It's going to be pure speculation. We don't know contact wasn't involved in the meniscus tear just because it wasn't in a game.

And no, I'm not pinning any hopes on him at all. I'm simply saying it's too early to write him off completely.

I'm simply saying it's too early to write him off completely.
I disagree. Just seems his window has closed. At least with Baltimore. I can see them wanting to move on from this headache in the off-season. If he latches on somewhere else, I'd be surprised if it were more than a depth move

Does not escape the fact the issue that needed to be cleared up has been cleared up and from  what I read he has already been granted one of their return from IR spots.
My understanding is that they designated him as one of their return from IR spots, but he was not being allowed to practice due to "issues beyond the Raven's control." I have not read anywhere that he has actually practiced with the team yet, just that he was "cleared to practice." "Cleared to practice" could mean a different things when we're talking medically versus "legally" according to the NFL

My understanding is that they designated him as one of their return from IR spots, but he was not being allowed to practice due to "issues beyond the Raven's control." I have not read anywhere that he has actually practiced with the team yet, just that he was "cleared to practice." "Cleared to practice" could mean a different things when we're talking medically versus "legally" according to the NFL

Cleared to practice, issue resolved, along with Maurice Canaday got last two designated to return from IR spots, has 3 weeks to get ready . Can't say if he actually practiced, I think so, but I think since he is not on the active roster his practice participation does not have to be reported.

Refusing to accept this borders on obtuse at this point.  He could suffer a setback in the next few weeks physically but otherwise he is coming back.

Gus Edwards could share the backfield with Javorius Allen, Alex Collins, and Ty Montgomery (who they traded a pick for). Oh, and he doesn't really catch passes and I'm not sure if he can pass block.

yeah... I went to see what that "north-south" comment meant and checked out his runs. It's stark, this guy might make a cut but dude is running full speed straight into what hole develops, no Le'veon Bell patience needed. Due to his size (6'1 and 238) I can definitely see him as a goal line back; if he becomes the starter THEN I'm interested. Think I'll put a mildly aggressive bid in for him.

Picked him up in a redraft and will immediately flex him IF and only if Jackson starts this week.

Reason being is that if Gus has limitations in pass pro, they can be hid by the game plan of running as much as possible with Jackson.

Both compliment each other's rushing style too. One dances while the other gets north/south giving the defense a lot to defend.

Now, if Flacco starts, I will bench him in a wait and see approach. I don't think it will be a full blown RBBC but who really knows.

Picked him up in a redraft and will immediately flex him IF and only if Jackson starts this week.
It feels like this is THE week to start him. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself he's a better option than Chubb or D Cook or Lindsay.

Than Chubb? No. Lindsay? No.

I'd go with him over Cook tho.
That’s about the way I see it. Except Cook is healthy & looked fine on tape last week (O-line got dominated but highly unlikely the Pack will duplicate that.)

Still, if I don’t use Edwards this week & Flacco comes back, doubtful he’ll maintain the workload he has with Jackson running the read option plays.

That’s about the way I see it. Except Cook is healthy & looked fine on tape last week (O-line got dominated but highly unlikely the Pack will duplicate that.)

Still, if I don’t use Edwards this week & Flacco comes back, doubtful he’ll maintain the workload he has with Jackson running the read option plays.
You don’t have to use him just because you picked him up - even if he does well at least you kept another team from having him.

In over drake at the moment.  Don’t feel great about it anyways, will feel better if Collins is ruled out.  

Different dynasty league, Picked him up for nothing and don’t need to start him.   Interested to see how the rest of his season plays out.  

BobbyLayne said:
It feels like this is THE week to start him. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself he's a better option than Chubb or D Cook or Lindsay.
Yeah I'd say none of the above. Those guys are guaranteed touches even if Cook/Minny struggled last week, he's an elite talent who will get his act together soon if not this week.

With Collins out this week that takes some of the uncertainty out of it. Great matchup and not much competition for touches.  There is still risk but I believe this week it is worth it. I’m starting him over Josh Adams and DJ Moore. I believe he is a solid RB2. 

Welp, you can fire up the Gus Bus with confidence today.

Alex Collins (foot) will not play Sunday against the Raiders.

Collins' inactivity is a surprise after he practiced fully on Friday and NFL Network reported Sunday morning that he would play. Instead, rookie Gus "The Bus" Edwards will start.

Nov 25 - 11:23 AM --via Rotoworld

He's the lead back in Baltimore. 
Damn straight and almost as important is the fact that Jackson will remain the QB going forward. Defenses have to account for him every hand off and you can see the hesitation in the LBs to fill the holes which is giving Gus all kinds of space.

Users who are viewing this thread