What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Caleb Williams Sit Out Rest Of Year? (1 Viewer)

Should Caleb Williams Sit Out Rest Of Year?

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Here we go. https://x.com/EmmanuelAcho/status/1715935770836709808?s=20

Acho is not some random talking head. Wildly popular with a big audience.

With National Championship hopes gone, Caleb Williams should consider sitting out the rest of the season.The Heisman is a long shot, CFB Playoffs are even less likely, and he won’t play in the bowl game. The risk of playing FAR outweighs the reward. Business decision.

the point is understandable and I wouldn’t blame him much if he did. But, and maybe this is an unpopular opinion, if he chose to sit out I’d rather have Derek Maye.
Williams isn’t playing at the same level he did last year, he isn’t playing close to as well under pressure this year as last year and is coming off two poor games by his standards. If he stopped playing now that’s what we’ll remember and we could reasonably question his love for the game. But if he kept playing he can improve, show his character and put to rest the current criticism. Of course he might not do any of that and could continue to play worse than last year. He’s still the 1a today but Maye is damn close.
Especially if he wants to be in position to pull an Eli / Elway move, he’ll lose that power (if he has it now anyway).

Ultimately though, he needs to show some of the magic from last season to put the debate between him and Maye to rest.

:2cents:

Ultimately though, he needs to show some of the magic from last season to put the debate between him and Maye to rest.

No he doesn't. He just needs to make sure he is drafted high.
The best way to ensure he’s drafted #1 is by performing better on the field than he has this year so far. Maye is probably going to do as well or better at the combine.
But sure, if he wants to go #2 he can sit out. I assume he wants to go #1 and possibly have a say in the team that drafts him.

Last edited:

No he doesn't. He just needs to make sure he is drafted high.
The best way to ensure he’s drafted #1 is by performing better on the field than he has this year so far. Maye is probably going to do as well or better at the combine.
But sure, if he wants to go #2 he can sit out. I assume he wants to go #1 and possibly have a say in the team that drafts him.
I'd assume he wants to come as close as possible to guaranteeing riches.
Who knows what he actually wants to do or what he will actually do, but risking everything to try to gain a little more isn't the wisest move.

know this isn't answering the question directly but it's entirely up to him, the fact that USC isn't in contention makes the decision to sit easier. on the other hand also think there's something to be said for the mentality of wanting to play. Brady never wanted to come out of the game whether he was up or down by 30. Of course if he had gotten hurt in one of those situations people would've lost their minds.

know this isn't answering the question directly but it's entirely up to him, the fact that USC isn't in contention makes the decision to sit easier. on the other hand also think there's something to be said for the mentality of wanting to play. Brady never wanted to come out of the game whether he was up or down by 30. Of course if he had gotten hurt in one of those situations people would've lost their minds.
Brady isn't the best example given his draft stock
Also, playing when up 30 in the middle of a big contract seems fine on Bradys end.

The problem with not playing is that there's no way for a GM to tell whether you're the kind of person who makes prudent, risk-averse decisions or whether you're a selfish person who puts his own career above his team. There is no such uncertainty about your commitment if you play the rest of the year. Taking out insurance and playing seems like the wiser course of action, but it's not my career so I guess that's easy to say.

Should have entered the draft last year. He had nowhere to go but "down" by staying in college another year.

I’m curious as to what the NIL contract language states. Maybe some are different than others and do not allow for payment for non-injury?

Caleb Williams needs to make best decision for himself. An injury could cost him tens of millions of dollars. I highly doubt it would effect his draft stock much - if nothing else the NFL has shown it values talent regardless of “baggage”.

I regret basically nothing in life, but the things that come close are not having more fun and doing more awesome things in college.

He could have an acl injury tomorrow and still go 1 or 2. I coudl be wrong and it costs him $10M. If he's really that good, he'll be just fine in his life financially. No way I'd sit out.

Brady isn't the best example given his draft stock
Also, playing when up 30 in the middle of a big contract seems fine on Bradys end.
think you kinda missed the point but no worries, understand the circumstances are not the same, point was about mentality of playing

ETA: I'm assuming he's taken out an insurance policy to cover a major injury

Last edited:
but risking everything to try to gain a little more isn't the wisest move.
Understood, but where does this logic end? Should Bryce sit out the rest of this season so he doesn’t get crushed? Should Bijan have sat out most of last season in college? Especially as a running back, his risk was higher than Caleb’s.

I have not seen enough to think he is worth the #1 pick. If that is something important to him, he needs to put better stuff on tape this year.

I don't personally care if he sits, nor do I think teams should hold it against him. But it's a moo point (like a cow's opinion) because these guys are competitors who want to play football. It's one thing to sit out a bowl game, or if you're injured a la Nick Bosa and JSN. But I don't see any player at that level sitting as a pure business decision

I regret basically nothing in life, but the things that come close are not having more fun and doing more awesome things in college.

He could have an acl injury tomorrow and still go 1 or 2. I coudl be wrong and it costs him $10M. If he's really that good, he'll be just fine in his life financially. No way I'd sit out.
But what if he gets hit while throwing and shreds all the ligaments in his elbow and shoulder? I know it’s the unpopular choice but if it was me and the NIL contracts didn’t prevent it, I’d be sitting. So maybe I go second or third overall? If I really am good enough to play in the NFL, I’ll be getting a second contract where my real money is made.

I have not seen enough to think he is worth the #1 pick. If that is something important to him, he needs to put better stuff on tape this year.
After watching Anthony Richardson vault to No 4 this year, I think there is plenty of tape on Caleb that would keep him in the top 3-5
All it takes is someone at No 1 that doesn't want to take a QB like perhaps Carolina which sits at No 1, of course Chicago owns that pick.

I agree with Acho's premise but CJ Stroud as an example, was in the college Playoff and took Georgia further than most that faced them,
I thought it showed Stroud as a clear winner in the Young-CJS-ARich debates

I'm still waiting for teams to take QBs in back to back Drafts
Why not draft 2 of them and see which one wins in camp and practice?

The cat is out of the bag so to speak as he's now fallen to the 5th worst ranking at PFF for QBs under pressure this season. I also saw a chart of when he plays vs some top defenses, and it ain't pretty. In 2021 v Baylor and ISU, also in 2022 v Oregon State, then you have the recent one v ND.

His best bet is to play and show he can overcome it.

But what if he gets hit while throwing and shreds all the ligaments in his elbow and shoulder? I know it’s the unpopular choice but if it was me and the NIL contracts didn’t prevent it, I’d be sitting. So maybe I go second or third overall? If I really am good enough to play in the NFL, I’ll be getting a second contract where my real money is made.
Based on this, all the Carolina players should sit the rest of the year

Titans say hi. And neither looks great. But then you probably meant 1st rounders.
That's exactly what I was driving at
Team has the No 2 pick and they take the 2nd QB off the board, come back at No 3 the next year and grab another highly touted arm until they find one that works.
Look at the teams that did it the old fashioned way and now are attached to mediocre arms/QBs but paying them top dollar, like Daniel Jones as an example

-I also admire teams that continue to bring in QBs in the 3rd-5th Rd to try and develop back ups or a guy that can come in off the bench and provide a spark
Miami used to have Don Strock, not a great QB but could come in and provide some down field throws, he also was prone to interceptions which is why he wasn't a starter.

Some others further up in the thread touched upon it, but the NIL has changed this argument significantly in my opinion. Looks like he is making about 2.6M on his NIL deal. Brock Purdy is making $870,000.

Injuries can happen anytime. Even before the NIL, I would have argued that he committed to play and should do so at least for the regular season(want to skip a meaningless bowl game at the end of the year, ok), but if you are taking significant money on the NIL, I don't see any way around it. You play if you are able.

Titans say hi. And neither looks great. But then you probably meant 1st rounders.
That's exactly what I was driving at
Team has the No 2 pick and they take the 2nd QB off the board, come back at No 3 the next year and grab another highly touted arm until they find one that works.
Look at the teams that did it the old fashioned way and now are attached to mediocre arms/QBs but paying them top dollar, like Daniel Jones as an example

-I also admire teams that continue to bring in QBs in the 3rd-5th Rd to try and develop back ups or a guy that can come in off the bench and provide a spark
Miami used to have Don Strock, not a great QB but could come in and provide some down field throws, he also was prone to interceptions which is why he wasn't a starter.
Arizona took Josh Rosen at 10 overall, then came back and took Kyler Murray at #1 the next year.

If my memory serves me correctly, Dallas Took Troy Aikman at #1 in 1989, then took Steve Walsh with their #1 pick in the supplemental draft the same year.

Some others further up in the thread touched upon it, but the NIL has changed this argument significantly in my opinion. Looks like he is making about 2.6M on his NIL deal. Brock Purdy is making $870,000.

Injuries can happen anytime. Even before the NIL, I would have argued that he committed to play and should do so at least for the regular season(want to skip a meaningless bowl game at the end of the year, ok), but if you are taking significant money on the NIL, I don't see any way around it. You play if you are able.
Isn't he on the Wendy's Commercials?
That's gotta pay pretty good

The first NFL contract isn't the important one. If he's good enough, works hard enough and shows he's an NFL quarterback, then where he's drafted will be irrelevant.

Isn't he on the Wendy's Commercials?
That's gotta pay pretty good
It's not easy to figure out NIL and there for sure could be way more, but this is where I got the 2.6M figure - https://www.on3.com/db/caleb-williams-17251/nil/

Just hear to say, IMO of course, Acho literally IS just another talking head. He's a wannabe Skip Bayliss/Steve Smith who says things for clicks, and then blindly doubles down on them in spite of direct evidence to the contrary. He also has self-declared himself an expert on race relations, which accounts for the majority of his "popularity" and "audience", though much like the news, you'll find a large portion of that audience is hate watching. That's about all I have to say on that front as it has nothing to do with sports, but similarly, very little of what Acho does/says is either. I avoid him whenever possible, as I don't want to feed into exactly what he's looking for; attention. Though I have friends who told me Van Lathan just dismantled him on a podcast and on twitter.

His take on the dangers of Olympic javelin throwers smoking weed because they might kill someone with a javelin should have been proof enough a few years ago we should take nothing this clown says seriously. He's a joke and a click bait farm. A lot of sports media outlets are, but he is one of the worst.

After watching Anthony Richardson vault to No 4 this year, I think there is plenty of tape on Caleb that would keep him in the top 3-5
No doubt. There are always QB needy teams to push up questionable guys higher. That said, I bet Caleb is going to measure out at the combine a lot closer to Bryce Young than Anthony Richardson in terms of size.

Just hear to say, IMO of course, Acho literally IS just another talking head. He's a wannabe Skip Bayliss/Steve Smith who says things for clicks, and then blindly doubles down on them in spite of direct evidence to the contrary. He also has self-declared himself an expert on race relations, which accounts for the majority of his "popularity" and "audience", though much like the news, you'll find a large portion of that audience is hate watching. That's about all I have to say on that front as it has nothing to do with sports, but similarly, very little of what Acho does/says is either. I avoid him whenever possible, as I don't want to feed into exactly what he's looking for; attention. Though I have friends who told me Van Lathan just dismantled him on a podcast and on twitter.

His take on the dangers of Olympic javelin throwers smoking weed because they might kill someone with a javelin should have been proof enough a few years ago we should take nothing this clown says seriously. He's a joke and a click bait farm. A lot of sports media outlets are, but he is one of the worst.

No worries. We can disagree on Acho.

This is about Williams. And clearly, there's a good bit of support on both sides that make this a viable question.

Agreed. I used to like him when he and Marcellus Wiley did that Speak for Yourself show together, but it's clear that Acho wanted to become a hot take artist and say outrageous things, so they parted ways, and his show is now unwatchable thanks to LeSean McCoy being one of the worst talking heads on TV (he basically bullied the Dallas area reporter off the show) and Acho kissing his *** non-stop.

The first NFL contract isn't the important one. If he's good enough, works hard enough and shows he's an NFL quarterback, then where he's drafted will be irrelevant.
I guess that depends. A lot of Top 5 QBs haven't fared well . . . which often times can be attributed to being drafted by bad teams and having to endure poor talent and multiple head coaching and OC changes. Quarterbacks can work hard and show some skills, but they many times end up in toxic environments.

Young, Stroud, and Richardson got guaranteed deals worth $34-38 million last year. Just because someone was drafted early in the draft doesn't mean he will get a mega contract like Mahomes. Trey Lance and Zach Wilson won't be seeing big deals after their rookie deals expire. Sure, players would love a $200 million contract, but $35+ million on a rookie deal is life changing on its own (no matter how well they play). Most players would happily jump at that because they could still work toward the $200+ million second deal. But the first contract is the only one they know they will get. If Williams ended up getting hurt or staying in school, didn't play as well, and suddenly fell into the second round like Will Levis, his contract would drop to the $9 million range (and his chances of getting a big payday later on would take a big tumble as well).

My first thought was yes. But if injury is the concern I would assume he has a massive insurance policy against that, right?

Even if he had the most common severe injuries, like achilles or multi-ligament knee tears, it would barely impact his draft stock. So no.

I guess that depends. A lot of Top 5 QBs haven't fared well . . . which often times can be attributed to being drafted by bad teams and having to endure poor talent and multiple head coaching and OC changes. Quarterbacks can work hard and show some skills, but they many times end up in toxic environments.

Young, Stroud, and Richardson got guaranteed deals worth $34-38 million last year. Just because someone was drafted early in the draft doesn't mean he will get a mega contract like Mahomes. Trey Lance and Zach Wilson won't be seeing big deals after their rookie deals expire. Sure, players would love a $200 million contract, but $35+ million on a rookie deal is life changing on its own (no matter how well they play). Most players would happily jump at that because they could still work toward the $200+ million second deal. But the first contract is the only one they know they will get. If Williams ended up getting hurt or staying in school, didn't play as well, and suddenly fell into the second round like Will Levis, his contract would drop to the $9 million range (and his chances of getting a big payday later on would take a big tumble as well).

If Will Levis shows he can play, his second contract will be $200M+. Jalen Hurts was drafted in the 2nd round. Work hard, play well, keep improving. The money will come.

Interesting topic. The fact that he was able to get paid a couple million to play makes me understand why he returned. He did. Play well. Still gonna be the first pick. Now they are out of championship. If he sits does he lose any of his college money? I guess it doesn't matter. Without reading other comments I'm actually on sit the season out now. He has a chance to take care of his family for life. I wouldn't risk it.

Exactly what do some of you think could negatively happen that would have a big impact on his draft stock? If you are going to say injury be more specific as to what type of injury you are talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread