What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars Universe (3 Viewers)

It's amazing how bad the Jedi and Sith are at killing each other.  That's twice now that Obi Wan could have saved the galaxy a ton of strife by just finishing off Vader.  Vader could've prevented the whole original trilogy and demise of the Empire by killing off Obi-Wan in that earlier episode of the series.  Also, Vader not killing Reva for some inexplicable reason.  

Like I said it was way too clunky and just doesn't add to the overall story.   For the record I loved Mando and like fett.  

also the article posted lays out the inconsistencies of the story, the horrific dialogue and acting in general.    In hindsight leia shouldn’t have been the story but more inquisitors hunting folks and answering to Vader.  

so I am betting that Disney was banking on reva being liked and having her own spinoff but now not so much.  Having her know about Luke and where he is is just mindnumbingly stupid in respect to the Star Wars canon.  

All she knows about Luke is that he was important to Obi-Wan, right?

All she knows about Luke is that he was important to Obi-Wan, right?

She wanted revenge against Vader, not Obi-Wan, so I assumed she knew he was Vader's son. Her comment that she failed them by not being able to kill Luke, which I presume to mean she failed to avenge the other padawans that were murdered by Vader.

She wanted revenge against Vader, not Obi-Wan, so I assumed she knew he was Vader's son. Her comment that she failed them by not being able to kill Luke, which I presume to mean she failed to avenge the other padawans that were murdered by Vader.
Not sure how she would have gathered that information though.  Bail Organa didn't say that in the message -- and what she saw was only partial.  Or did I miss something?

I don't need an article to tell me whether the acting was good.  I thought the acting was absolutely fine.  I thought Reva and young Leia gave really solid performances.  I even teared up a bit at the end in the Kenobi/Leia scene.  

Reva wasn't my absolute favorite character, and I seriously doubt that she will have her own spinoff.  But could she perhaps be in the upcoming Cassian Andor show?  IMO of course she could.  She's a really good and complex character.  A padawan almost killed in order 66, trained as an Inquisitor, hated Vader and seems to be ready to turn back to the light-side.  Seriously why the hate?  I honestly don't get it.  

Mando is obviously going to push the story ahead more than Obi-wan, because there's so much plot armor in Obi-wan - The main characters can't die, and there are extreme limits to what can happen, as we know their ultimate outcome.

It's just surprising to me that so many want to see Vader and Obi-wan in their primes - then we get that, and people whine about it.  

And clunky?  In what way?  Just such a weird criticism with nothing behind it.
I did not like her thru the first two episodes….then it clicked for me as they got into more depth with her character and the writing for her improved episode 3-6.

Overall loved the show. I was highly entertained and all these shows are an OT fans dream.

Bring me more!!!

Like I said it was way too clunky and just doesn't add to the overall story.   For the record I loved Mando and like fett.  

also the article posted lays out the inconsistencies of the story, the horrific dialogue and acting in general.    In hindsight leia shouldn’t have been the story but more inquisitors hunting folks and answering to Vader.  

so I am betting that Disney was banking on reva being liked and having her own spinoff but now not so much.  Having her know about Luke and where he is is just mindnumbingly stupid in respect to the Star Wars canon.  
I don't understand how someone could like Fett and dislike Obi-wan but to each his own I guess. 

Enjoyed that.  And I'm the Star Wars generation so of course I enjoy everything about the Skywalker saga....

But honestly, it's time to move on. This universe is great. Tell a different story now. 
It’s like Harry Potter for me - the original author created a fantastic world and a timeless epic story (or maybe plagiarized it) but they’ve dragged everything possible out of it, perhaps even to the detriment of the legacy at this point, and it’s time to close the book and find the next great epic.

Overall I was disappointed with Obi-Wan, despite low expectations, but watched the whole thing nonetheless and thought the finale was very good. 

Yeah it felt like they really struggled to fill the 6 episodes.  There was alot of bs

I still dug it though.  Just seeing MacGregor and Vader was good enough for me
This

It felt "Stars Warsy" but with silly stuff for 6 hours instead of 2. Still enjoyed the last episode. 

Final episode was great. It makes everything Vader in the OT better - which I never expected from this series.

In fact, one of the few good things Disney has done with the franchise is to expand the Vader mystique.

Literally that’s the point of tv shows. It’s not wall-to-wall action like movies.
I'm not making a quality judgement or complaining, just saying that it seems to me that these were 2-hour scripts that got converted to TV shows, rather than something that was imagined as a TV show and planned that way.

My daughter finally came home so I was able to watch it.  Vader/Obi Wan stuff is great. Rest is okay. Vader getting his mask busted and his opponent in shock at seeing Anakin was deja vu all over again from Rebels.  But Obi Wan’s emotion made it a great scene.  I know plot armor but it is :eyerolls: how no one kills anyone.  I do think a show like this needs characters that can die to give weight to the story.  

Nice callback to Ep IV and Obi calling him “Darth”.

Obi smashing Vader’s control board was a big brain moment in Star Wars. 

it's interesting to me in that we have to completely reconsider the relationships between Obi-wan and Leia in IV.  Her message to Obi-wan, that kicked off the entire franchise, was that she didn't know Kenobi.  I know they covered that at the end but it seems to me her message should have had a bit more...familiarity.  But, it does explain why old Ben Kenobi was so gung-ho to pack up everything and rescue the princess.

I don't remember - did Leia and Obi-wan share any screentime in ANH?  I don't think they did.

Now I'm going to have to go back and reconsider a film I've seen a hundred times that I practically grew up with.

The Leia/Obi Wan connection doesn't match up perfectly, but it's close enough.

In ANH Leia says, "Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars...". That wasn't exactly true in the prequel trilogy. OWK served the Republic in general, not a specific senator.

And given the Obi Wan show, her message could have been more personal.

But considering that her plea is to get R2 and the Death Star plans to her father, it makes some sense that she begins with a reference to Bail Organa.

it's interesting to me in that we have to completely reconsider the relationships between Obi-wan and Leia in IV.  Her message to Obi-wan, that kicked off the entire franchise, was that she didn't know Kenobi.  I know they covered that at the end but it seems to me her message should have had a bit more...familiarity.  But, it does explain why old Ben Kenobi was so gung-ho to pack up everything and rescue the princess.

I don't remember - did Leia and Obi-wan share any screentime in ANH?  I don't think they did.

Now I'm going to have to go back and reconsider a film I've seen a hundred times that I practically grew up with.
Actual screen time, no.  They're in the same vicinity for Vader/OWK lightsaber "battle," which Luke witnesses and is pretty upset about once OWK is struck down/vanishes.  Leia didn't seem to care much.  

Actual screen time, no.  They're in the same vicinity for Vader/OWK lightsaber "battle," which Luke witnesses and is pretty upset about once OWK is struck down/vanishes.  Leia didn't seem to care much.  
The fact she didn’t seem to care very much is weird even without this new show. I mean…she is the one who called for him. 

Yeah it felt like they really struggled to fill the 6 episodes.  There was alot of bs

I still dug it though.  Just seeing MacGregor and Vader was good enough for me
Agree completely.

How is reva on tatooine while vader is still right behind obi wan’s ship?  And obi gets there in 5 seconds from across the galaxy. This goes back to my nitpick from a few weeks ago. 
That, and didn't Reva take a lightsaber to the midsection?  And she's able to hop on a ship, go to Tattooine and battle with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru?

She was obviously weakened, limping around a bit...as one does when you are run through with a lightsaber.

So by that logic Han Solo didn't die from lightsaber, he died from the fall?

Sorry, not buying it.  If she took a saber to the gut she'd be dead.

By far the dumbest part of the show was that. However they did show the grand inquisitor coming back after a similar attack and they said something like hate is a great motivator (or whatever) so I guess that’s why they set it up that way?  Different situation than Han I guess but still very dumb imo. 

Well we saw it twice in the series, right?  Apparently these Inquisitor/force types can handle getting run through.

By far the dumbest part of the show was that. However they did show the grand inquisitor coming back after a similar attack and they said something like hate is a great motivator (or whatever) so I guess that’s why they set it up that way?  Different situation than Han I guess but still very dumb imo. 

Yeah if they had her in a bacta tank for a few days that'd be one thing.  But to take that shot and immediately fly to Tattooine to go after Luke?  Implausible.  I guess they had to do what they had to do though:  :shrug:

That said, the final Obi Wan / Vader battle was epic.  

If Han had been black/woman/gay/Trans he would have come back and had his own mini series!

Which makes Vader leaving her alive just dumb. 

More or less dumb than Obi leaving Vader alive again?
its all dumb IMO.  I mean I geeked out hard on the Vader/Obi Wan stuff.  However, it’s like a burr in the saddle the fact that no one can kill anyone else.  I get they can’t die (except Reva, which was infinitely dumber than the others that Vader didn’t kill her) so don’t write it where a character looks like an idiot for not doing the deed.  

SFBayDuck said:
Well we saw it twice in the series, right?  Apparently these Inquisitor/force types can handle getting run through.
Who better to hunt down Jedi?  Probably a key job requirement when the Inquisitors post openings on Indeed.com. 

nirad3 said:

Maul survived being cut in half so :shrug:

Isn't the whole Star Wars universe filled with improbable survivals?

Emperor, Leia, 2x Inquisitors, Darth Maul, Boba Fett.....  Not all of them were run through with lightsabers, but still.

I liked the Obi-Wan series even though the drama was missing since you knew certain characters couldn't die.  Some great fight scenes, awesome duel between Vader and Kenobi.  Gave a little bit of added story to what happened after Ep III

Gatorman said:
Soon, the emperor will be fighting thanos and ultron and Tony stark will save the day with Yoda.  BOOK IT!
Do we really know how far Dagoba is from Titan?  Or Endor from Earth?

Maybe cloud city is close enough to Nidavellir for this to happen? 

It's a big universe.....

Users who are viewing this thread