What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The war in Syria (2 Viewers)

I, for one, am shocked that the official narrative on WMDs in the Middle East turned out to be false. But I'm sure next time they'll tell us the truth.
Probably why they were in such a hurry to bomb a middle eastern country before the evidence had materialized- they knew it was bs.  

You’d think it’d be a big deal that the intelligence western countries used as an excuse to bomb Damascus turned out to be staged by the same rebels those countries were backing in Syria.  

You’d think it’d be a big deal that the OPCW, which is supposed to be neutral, suppressed evidence that ran counter to the commonly accepted narrative.  

But instead it’s radio silence.   Anyone who questioned this was painted as a conspiracy theorist.  There’s all the coverage and network buzz in the world for a regime change narrative.  Where’s the “free press” on this one?  

A September ceasefire deal between Russia and rebel backer Turkey was supposed to prevent a massive regime offensive in the region, which is home to some 3 million people.

Under the terms of the agreement, hardliners and jihadists were to withdraw from a planned buffer zone, allowing traffic to flow along two strategic highways, M4 and M5, which connect government-held areas with the Turkish border.

But Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), which is dominated by members of a former al-Qaeda affiliate, has failed to leave, apparently leading to a spike in deadly airstrikes and shelling by the regime and ally Russia.

Deputy Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL, Brett McGurk, comments on the status of Idlib Province in Syria. These comments took place at a forum hosted by The Middle East Institute, titled: "Assessing the Trump Administration's Counterterrorism Policy". The forum took place on July 27, 2017.

https://youtu.be/IwbJrL96zlI

Hayat Tahrir al-Sham and its jihadi brothers-in-arms do not share the international community’s concern about the consequences of an attack by the Syrian regime and its backers. The bloodier the better, in their score, as it increases pressure on Syria and Russia to end the fighting and allow the jihadis to keep their enclave. If the Syrian government uses chemical weapons, the United States has signaled that it will likely respond again with military force.

Those in Idlib who would be inclined to take up the Turkish offer to prevent the slaughter don’t stand a chance. The Washington Post reported that Hayat Tahrir al-Sham and its Salafi partners have erected gallows around Idlib province for public execution of traitors — that is, those who want to negotiate an exit, as well as opponents of their brutal style of Islamic law. “Several groups monitoring the situation confirmed the existence of detention facilities across a network of basements and caves,” the Post reports. The paper said the group JAN Violations, which records allegations of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham abuses, reported that the "group had at least five prisons in the province, several of them notorious for torture.” JAN stands for Jabhat al-Nusra.

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2018/09/turkey-syria-hts-alqaeda-idlib-erdogan-ceasefire.html
Reminder that Idlib is the Al Qaeda capital of the world.  

Yep.  A literal ghost town in here all of a sudden.  All the people who called me a conspiracy theorist, who got it completely dead wrong while I got it right, have disappeared completely.  

Look at the traffic in this thread when US/France/UK were bleating about chemical weapons compared to now.  Where's CNN, Brian Williams and the "international community" now that their reporting has been exposed as straightup war propaganda?  Where's the correction now that the narrative they pushed has been exposed as a complete falsehood?  

Yep.  A literal ghost town in here all of a sudden.  All the people who called me a conspiracy theorist, who got it completely dead wrong while I got it right, have disappeared completely.  

Look at the traffic in this thread when US/France/UK were bleating about chemical weapons compared to now.  Where's CNN, Brian Williams and the "international community" now that their reporting has been exposed as straightup war propaganda?  Where's the correction now that the narrative they pushed has been exposed as a complete falsehood?  
I dunno. I tend to trust the mainstream media. Here is Reuters: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1ST2F3

In order to believe what you’re asserting I would also have to believe that all of the sources I trust: Reuters, Associated Press, CNN, the New York Times, the Washington Post- are all deliberately lying to me in a coordinated effort. I just find that extremely implausible. 

In order to believe what you’re asserting I would also have to believe that all of the sources I trust: Reuters, Associated Press, CNN, the New York Times, the Washington Post- are all deliberately lying to me in a coordinated effort. I just find that extremely implausible. 
Whatever you think plausible, the Douma chemical weapons attack that led to the bombing of Damascus appears to have been staged.  The article you link to makes no reference to the buried findings from the OPCW FFM.  It also cites a State Dept. spokesman at length, while a one-sentence blurb represents the Syrian side.  

In fact, none of Reuters, CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC or WaPo have written anything at all about the leaked OPCW report (or if they did, they made no mention of the OPCW).  

That you think they couldn't lie or intentionally mislead people- after their work in Iraq, the Russia collusion falsehood, and with so much overlap between the media/intelligence/govt and think tank spheres- I mean, I just don't know what to say to that.  

Reminder of the gaslighting and trolling you were subjected to for expressing basic skepticism about the official story:

He's just pro-Russia.

I agree with this. At times his critiques are quite interesting. But he mixes in thoughtful criticism with conspiracy nonsense that is way out there, and his conclusions are IMO so totally off base as to weaken many of his more valid points. 

This isn’t like Saddam and WMDs. Responsible people don’t have any question about this. 

Agree.

Just important to remind the people that continue to defend Russia/Assad what they're supporting.

Something, something... Illuminati... Soros.

You are linking Russian election interference with substantiated claims that Assad has gassed his people (multiple times), and blaming it on regime change folks?

you can’t see how tenuous and conspiracy theorist that is?

So now that Trump is blaming Assad for the chemical attacks are we done with the false flag conspiracy theories?

No. Ren already said we can’t believe anything Trump says because we didn’t believe him before. 

Renny Logic™️

Ren, minus the conspiracy theories and your lack of moral outrage at Assad, I find myself in this instance agreeing with you, at least to this extent: I am wary of a military action by the US against Syria. I don’t know what we’re getting involved with here. 

Can someone who isn't ren explain why anyone would be posting pro-Assad conspiracy theories?

No...Ren wouldn’t ever push bogus conspiracy theories.

I wish we could have a separate thread for the crazy conspiracy stuff, and devote THIS thread to a serious discussion, among adults, about what is the proper action to take in response to what Assad is doing. 

From that link: "Just because the OPCW took the extraordinary decision to cover up some of its evidence in Douma does not mean that gas has not been used in Syria by the government or even by the Russians or by Isis and its fellow Islamists. Undoubtedly it has. All stand guilty of war crimes in the Syrian conflict. The OPCW’s dishonesty – for that is what it amounts to – does not let war criminals off the hook."

So, what is the point you are trying to make here, @Rove!?

Wow, didn't realize there was another suspected chemical attack last week.  Thanks Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:

This follows the same pattern the Syrians have followed before. It’s part of their strategy.

A “correction”? “Exposed as a complete falsehood”?

Do you know what a dissenting opinion is?

Henry Ford said:
A “correction”? “Exposed as a complete falsehood”?

Do you know what a dissenting opinion is?
Do you think they were being good journalists when they pushed the state dept. narrative so credulously?  It seems they took the official line at face value, closed ranks around it, and then badgered people that had the wherewithal to question it.  There was hardly any dissent at all.  

This interview with Admiral Lord West comes to mind.  The military man asks the tough questions, and the journalist gaslights him about whether he's "muddying the waters" in an "information war with Russia"!  It's supposed to be the other way around!  

Do you think they were being good journalists when they pushed the state dept. narrative so credulously?  It seems they took the official line at face value, closed ranks around it, and then badgered people that had the wherewithal to question it.  There was hardly any dissent at all.  

This interview with Admiral Lord West comes to mind.  The military man asks the tough questions, and the journalist gaslights him about whether he's "muddying the waters" in an "information war with Russia"!  It's supposed to be the other way around!  
Are we changing the subject again to whether journalists properly investigated? I thought we were talking about your comments that the official report by the OPCW had been “exposed as a complete falsehood.”  Because of a single dissenting opinion that wasn’t put in that report. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we changing the subject again to whether journalists properly investigated? I thought we were talking about your comments that the official report by the OCWP had been “exposed as a complete falsehood.”  Because of a single dissenting opinion that wasn’t put in that report. 
What part of the chemical attacks in Douma being staged- and the countervailing evidence of the staging being suppressed- are you not getting?  

What part of the chemical attacks in Douma being staged- and the countervailing evidence of the staging being suppressed- are you not getting?  
The proof of those things. A dissenting opinion not being in the report is potentially evidence that may be the case.  It is not some smoking gun that proves a massive conspiracy and vindicates everyone who’s been shouting massive international conspiracy.  

The proof of those things. A dissenting opinion not being in the report is potentially evidence that may be the case.  It is not some smoking gun that proves a massive conspiracy and vindicates everyone who’s been shouting massive international conspiracy.  
I believe the analysis speaks for itself.  It also comports with basic logic of how Assad had so much to lose from using chemical weapons, while western-backed rebels had so much to gain.  

I believe the analysis speaks for itself.  It also comports with basic logic of how Assad had so much to lose from using chemical weapons, while western-backed rebels had so much to gain.  
And you believe that the mere existence of this analysis exposes all other analyses as a complete falsehood?

It’s as if, after Oliver Stone released the JFK movie, ren posted “See? I told you Oswald didn’t do it by himself! You all laughed at me, but now we have the proof!” 
Actually watched this on Netflix one day... I don't believe Stone went there at all.  

This is like Hans Blix coming back and saying, "I told you there were no WMDs in Iraq." 

Actually watched this on Netflix one day... I don't believe Stone went there at all.  

This is like Hans Blix coming back and saying, "I told you there were no WMDs in Iraq." 
Yes, it is probably just as false a premise and conclusion as that statement would be. 

And you believe that the mere existence of this analysis exposes all other analyses as a complete falsehood?
I believe the "mere existence" of this analysis subverts the cartoonish depiction of a sarin/chlorine attack by the "gas killing animal" on his own people completely, yes.  

That’s nuts, it’s been an incredibly effective tactic in an extremely effective military strategy.

I'm not an expert in this area at all, just reading articles and twitter. So if someone who is more knowledgeable can confirm/educate me on this, I appreciate it.

My understanding from speaking to local sources in northern Syria is that this decision was made by Trump without advance warning to Kurds or even US coalition forces on the ground. They found out the way the rest of us found out 1/

Kurds say they were acting in good faith working with US on security mechanism but now feel Turkey was just working on reconnaissance the whole time (joint patrols, flights over Rojava, pulling back from the border etc). This has left them incredibly weak as assault looms 2/

There are fears for the ISIS prisons, even if the Turkish assault is limited (say to strip between Tal Abyad and Ras al-Ain) as predictions are Kurdish leadership will move north, leaving weaker control and minimal security of jails and camps 3/

--

I'd love to know what this smooth transition of control of ISIS prisons in northern Syria from the Kurds to Turks would look like.

--

Trump may actually be on the cusp of creating on the worst national security crises of our time by - albeit inadvertently - fuelling the very circumstances in which all these ISIS prisoners escape. It’s absolutely astonishing.

Release from detention in Camp Bucca produced fighters who were more brazen, daring and committed precisely because they realised the hopelessness of their situation (hence the move to Abu Bakr Naji’s doctrine). What do we expect released ISIS detainees to do if freed now?

This is from Brett McGurk - former diplomat:

Donald Trump is not a Commander-in-Chief. He makes impulsive decisions with no knowledge or deliberation. He sends military personnel into harm’s way with no backing. He blusters and then leaves our allies exposed when adversaries call his bluff or he confronts a hard phone call.

The WH statement tonight on Syria after Trump spoke with Erdogan demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of anything happening on the ground. The “United States” is not holding any ISIS detainees. They are all being held by the SDF, which Trump just served up to Turkey.

Turkey has neither the intent, desire, nor capacity to manage 60k detainees in al Hol camp, which State and DoD IGs warn is the nucleus for a resurgent ISIS. Believing otherwise is a reckless gamble with our national security. Background here  - link

The Turkish proposed “safe zone” would effectively extend Turkey’s border 30km into Syria, including areas of Christians, Kurds, and other vulnerable minorities. Our diplomats were working on a plan to forestall such a debacle. Where’s Pompeo?

Indeed, US officials signed the SDF up to a “security mechanism” plan by which it removed all defensive barriers on the Syrian side of the border to forestall a Turkish incursion. EUCOM issued this just yesterday. Was Trump ever even briefed on this plan?

Trump made a similarly impulsive decision when I was managing the policy. I resigned over it and stand by every word in this op-ed. Tonight is a sad replay but seems even worse as US officials had since convinced the SDF that we planned to stay.

There’s a similar defect at the core of US foreign policies across the board: maximalist objectives for a minimalist president combined with no process to assess facts, develop options, or prepare contingencies. Our personnel are left exposed at the slightest moment of friction.

Bottom line: Trump tonight after one call with a foreign leader provided a gift to Russia, Iran, and ISIS. FWIW, I warned of this here in @ForeignAffairs — and recommended alternatives given the hard realities on the ground and in this White House.  Link2

My understanding from speaking to local sources in northern Syria is that this decision was made by Trump without advance warning to Kurds or even US coalition forces on the ground. They found out the way the rest of us found out 1/
John Dickerson @jdickerson · 6h

This was two days ago....”Pentagon spokesman Cmdr. Sean Robertson said any “uncoordinated military operations by Turkey would be of grave concern as it would undermine our shared interest of a secure northeast Syria and the enduring defeat of” the Islamic State group

@Richardengel - Syria Kurdish official told us, reacting to Trump’s overnight decision - “The Americans are traitors. They have abandoned us to a Turkish massacre. We can no longer fight against ISIS and have to defend ourselves. This could allow ISIS to return to the region.”

Looks like Lindsey Graham has picked the hill he will die on:

Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC

* Ensures ISIS comeback.
* Forces Kurds to align with Assad and Iran.
* Destroys Turkey’s relationship with U.S. Congress.
* Will be a stain on America’s honor for abandoning the Kurds.

Karen Tumulty
@ktumulty

"the biggest lie being told by the administration" is that ISIS has been defeated -- @LindseyGrahamSC uses the L-word about 
@realDonaldTrump just now on Fox and Friends.

Trump took credit for Isis’ defeat which was caused mainly by our Kurdish allies. Allies no more: they’re about to be slaughtered. And there will be genocide. 

This is the reason that Mattis resigned. 

Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC

* Ensures ISIS comeback.

Karen Tumulty
@ktumulty

"the biggest lie being told by the administration" is that ISIS has been defeated -- @LindseyGrahamSC uses the L-word about 
Lindsey is FIRED UP!!!

Jill Colvin
@colvinj 4m

Graham, calling in to Fox & Friends: "I hope I'm making myself clear how short-sighted and irresponsible this decision is, in my view."

"I like president Trump. I've tried to help him. This to me is just unnerving to its core."

Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC

* Ensures ISIS comeback.

Karen Tumulty
@ktumulty

I'm seriously shocked. I had no idea Graham still had it in him.

Seems like this was a surprise to everyone, but Turkey:

Lucas Tomlinson @LucasFoxNews · 3h

Pentagon ‘completely blindsided’ by White House order to pull U.S. forces back from northern Syria green-lighting Turkish invasion: U.S. officials

Having ruined his good name in almost every area of real-estate business, he's now working hard to ruin our country's reputation.

Make America Great Again?

Holy crap.

I know there is one, because the question will/has been asked, so what is the “American interest” being advanced with this move?  I don’t expect the reason to be doing or logical, but there has to be some excuse being pushed here

Users who are viewing this thread