What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 80s (1 Viewer)

The hard thing with these types of lists for my ratings there are 100s of movies that I would rate between 6-7. It's just nitpicking and mood at the moment that decides what's on my list past movie #40 or so. There are very few movies on 80s list that I wouldn't rate in that range as well or flat dislike.

Also are you guys doing individual entries for each of a the Police Academy movies or just doing like a lifetime achievement entry for the series!
Just one big "best franchise of the 80s" award at the end that you just spoiled. Thanks a lot. ;)

I did watch a few of these movies in the last month as well.

Also are you guys doing individual entries for each of a the Police Academy movies or just doing like a lifetime achievement entry for the series!
Just one big "best franchise of the 80s" award at the end that you just spoiled. Thanks a lot. ;)

I did watch a few of these movies in the last month as well.

I’ll still pull out random quotes like “oh, not on broccoli “ or “was that The Dim Shoe to Snare Off?”

I've never seen The Goonies.
No reason to now.
I think I saw it a little too late in life to develop such a strong relationship with it.
That's it. Nostalgia of this movie is tied to your age.

if you were at an age where taking off with your friends on your BMX and finding pirate treasure was the best thing you could possibly imagine, this movie was huge. It was a buddy pic for 12 year olds.
100%. Younger, even younger, as I was 9-10 when it came out.

No reason to now.
I think I saw it a little too late in life to develop such a strong relationship with it.

if you were at an age where taking off with your friends on your BMX and finding pirate treasure was the best thing you could possibly imagine, this movie was huge. It was a buddy pic for 12 year olds.
The Goonies IS the 80's.....I mean Cyndi Lauper wrote a song for it! One of the Cory's is in it! It's also got ORV's with bullet holes!, rocky road! One eyed Willie!, and rich stuff! Also.......John Matuszak with a tour de force!

There was another buddy movie released the next year that is also one of my faves.....
Again, 100%. Movies like Goonies, Gremlins, Better off Dead from the ones picked are what I think of when I hear "80s movies". It's what I was referring to in my post that I was more about movies of the 80s for my list, especially at the top, so I had fewer of these on my list as I and maybe others thought there would be.

We've watched The Goonies with our kids at least 6-8 times I bet. We keep the DVD in our camp trailer, and we throw it on, in the evening sometimes during camping trips.....it's the most requested, along with the Sandlot, and Nacho Libre.....all classics, imo

Oddly, my son didn't like The Goonies. I can't remember how old he was, but I remember him saying there was too much swearing and it was kind of creepy.

No reason to now.

100%. Younger, even younger, as I was 9-10 when it came out.

No reason to now.

The Goonies IS the 80's.....I mean Cyndi Lauper wrote a song for it! One of the Cory's is in it! It's also got ORV's with bullet holes!, rocky road! One eyed Willie!, and rich stuff! Also.......John Matuszak with a tour de force!

There was another buddy movie released the next year that is also one of my faves.....
Again, 100%. Movies like Goonies, Gremlins, Better off Dead from the ones picked are what I think of when I hear "80s movies". It's what I was referring to in my post that I was more about movies of the 80s for my list, especially at the top, so I had fewer of these on my list as I and maybe others thought there would be.

We've watched The Goonies with our kids at least 6-8 times I bet. We keep the DVD in our camp trailer, and we throw it on, in the evening sometimes during camping trips.....it's the most requested, along with the Sandlot, and Nacho Libre.....all classics, imo

Oddly, my son didn't like The Goonies. I can't remember how old he was, but I remember him saying there was too much swearing and it was kind of creepy.

Tried getting our kids to watch it too, think they bailed halfway into it

80/81:

FLETCH [netflix]
THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Our #45 picks. Great Outdoors was the movie I was talking about with the vacation nostalgia pick. This one became a family favorite back then and now with my kid. Fletch wasn't the movie I was referring to as his "comedy" movie, I was looking the one coming up soon. ;)

Last edited:
80/81:

FLETCH
THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Our #45 picks. Great Outdoors was the movie I was talking about with the vacation nostalgia pick. This one became a family favorite back then and now with my kid. Fletch wasn't the movie I was referring to as his "comedy" movie, I was looking the one coming up soon. ;)
I was dating an insanely hot young lady the year after Fletch came out and made it to cable. I watched it with her family and while I laughed at just about every line, the only thing that they collectively laughed at was when Fletch hit the Mercedes with his tennis racket.

Also, this is probably the only place where these two movies will be thought of this closely together.

Please send any negative replies to the Underhills.

I didn’t want to do this, but I’m afraid I’m gonna have to pull rank on you. I’m with the Mattress Police. There are no tags on these mattresses.
BTW did you get to see Confess, Fletch!

It was just about a retelling of the first film, but John Hamm did a respectable job as Fletch, the rest of the cast was solid and had enough of the feel of the original that I didn't hate it.

80/81:

FLETCH
THE GREAT OUTDOORS

I was dating an insanely hot young lady the year after Fletch came out and made it to cable. I watched it with her family and while I laughed at just about every line, the only thing that they collectively laughed at was when Fletch hit the Mercedes with his tennis racket.

Also, this is probably the only place where these two movies will be thought of this closely together.

I realize 100% my comedy is off from many here. I laugh at some dumb stuff. Mostly, I just don't think Chevy is that funny. There are a couple movies that I don't mind, but they are more ensembles, not like Fletch where he is front and center.

I also think there are couple weird movies that I clung to with my buddies for some reason or another. There is another coming up soon that will also get a :oldunsure: ,but both of these were movies we watched a TON and quoted all the time. Late 80s for both of them so heading into my teen years. I am guessing they are probably just a few movies one or the other of us had on VHS randomly.

My dad had one of those camcorders that took a full VHS tape, there was also a way to record from whatever was playing on the TV, so we had a ton of copies of stuff I’d rent from the video store

Fletch ain't even in same ballpark for me as Great Outdoors.

I always laugh when Candy is whining to the oldest son about spending time together, and how they were gonna take Suck My Wake out on the lake later on.

80/81:

FLETCH
THE GREAT OUTDOORS

I realize 100% my comedy is off from many here. I laugh at some dumb stuff. Mostly, I just don't think Chevy is that funny. There are a couple movies that I don't mind, but they are more ensembles, not like Fletch where he is front and center.

I also think there are couple weird movies that I clung to with my buddies for some reason or another. There is another coming up soon that will also get a :oldunsure: ,but both of these were movies we watched a TON and quoted all the time. Late 80s for both of them so heading into my teen years. I am guessing they are probably just a few movies one or the other of us had on VHS randomly.
not a huge chevy fan either, tbh... but ****ing taco, he's almost perfect in this.

80/81:

FLETCH
THE GREAT OUTDOORS

not a huge chevy fan either, tbh... but ****ing taco, he's almost perfect in this.
Chevy haters should love this movie; he got his *** kicked by Joe Don Baker, 2 random cops AND Tim Matheson.

Also, I was thinking about The Great Outdoors as I went for our post-dinner walk. Part of the reason for the love is as a Wisconsinite, these are my people. I know it's not shot here, but it just feels like the weekend camping and lake excursions we would go on. It's a movie that just feels like home to me, as well as still making me laugh a bit 35 years later.

I didn’t want to do this, but I’m afraid I’m gonna have to pull rank on you. I’m with the Mattress Police. There are no tags on these mattresses.
BTW did you get to see Confess, Fletch!

It was just about a retelling of the first film, but John Hamm did a respectable job as Fletch, the rest of the cast was solid and had enough of the feel of the original that I didn't hate it.
I did see it and totally agree with you. Enjoyable movie and Hamm was pretty much perfect casting. Nothing will capture the magic of the original but this was well done.

78/79:

THE FLY [hbo max]
TRADING PLACES

The Fly was my #44 pick, and Trading Places we both had on the list (#66 and #79). Trading Places was the holiday hint, and The Fly was my dumb clue about having a bad sequel starring an actor who got fired from another movie on the list . The Fly holds up incredibly well, and is still so damn disgusting and even touching at the end.

Last edited:
78/79:

THE FLY
TRADING PLACES

The Fly was my #44 pick, and Trading Places we both had on the list (#66 and #79). Trading Places was the holiday hint, and The Fly was my dumb clue about having a bad sequel starring an actor who got fired from another movie on the list . The Fly holds up incredibly well, and is still so damn disgusting and even touching at the end.
The Fly is great. I love practical effects and this has a few awesome ones. And Goldblum was, of course, perfect.

I remember actually liking the sequel but it's been a while.

78/79:

THE FLY
TRADING PLACES

Over the years, several people who didn't know each other have told me that I resemble Dan Aykroyd, and the first one to tell me referenced Trading Places specifically. I'm probably closer to the Ghostbusters: Afterlife version of him now. I had this move on VHS and watched it many, many times. And not just for the gratuitous Jamie Lee Curtis boob scenes.

Monkey? I'm a gorilla, you clown!

I will just do two more and call it a night. Might even watch some Great Outdoors. The next pairing is what everybody was guessing today + 80s' movie that got my snarky comment about being a "comedy".

76/77:

AIRPLANE! [hbo max]
FATAL ATTRACTION [paramount+]

Our #43 picks. We talked about these types of movies in the 90s countdown when we both had Basic Instinct rated so highly. Sadly, they just don't make those sexy thrillers like these anymore.

Last edited:
76/77:

AIRPLANE!
FATAL ATTRACTION

Our #43 picks. We talked about these types of movies in the 90s countdown when we both had Basic Instinct rated so highly. Sadly, they just don't make those sexy thrillers like these anymore.
Not going to comment about Airplane!'s spot on the list. That said, it spawned 40+ years of comedy and is arguably THE most quotable movie of the decade. I can't go 72 hours without saying "Chump don't want no help, chump don't get no help." I AM serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Ok, tomorrow I will plan for 11 since there is a tie at that point.

1. We have only 2 that appear on both our lists. Another holiday movie?? and a movie that just might have the biggest jump scare of my until then 10 year old life.
  2. 80s has 5 solo movies. 3 I haven't seen (one never heard of). One is a homework assignment that just missed my top 100. The other is a movie that features an actress talked about a bit today in relation to a selection today.
  3. 4 are KP solo movies. One will be another dumb comedy. One is a comedy from a director I usually struggle with. One is a clinic in method acting. One gave nerds role playing fantasies for years.

101/100

CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
BETTER OFF DEAD

These are our #62 selections on our countdowns. There are a handful of movies on our lists that were ranked lower that will still show up because the other person had them as well. My pick was Better Off Dead.
dont think i have seen either of these and cant find them on roki

currently watching stepfather the 1st time
great start to the movie

Ok, tomorrow I will plan for 11 since there is a tie at that point.

1. We have only 2 that appear on both our lists. Another holiday movie?? and a movie that just might have the biggest jump scare of my until then 10 year old life.

I have a couple possible guesses for the holiday movie but I think I know the jump scare and to this day I get a sense of dread just thinking about it.

Yeah. The Goonies was the first real miss of this thing. In what planet is that not a top 25 80s movie.
I didn't think it would be Goonies that would be getting these vibes. I thought I would take **** for it being on my list, TBH.

Just wait until Wednesday and Thursday. :lmao: One or two tomorrow might get similar grumbles for them being low, but those two days are going to get some heat our way. I see about 7 between those two days that are going to stick out. 2-3 are because of me, 3-4 will be him, so each of us will have some explaining to do. :popcorn:

This is going to be a tough thread for me. Lol. Growing up in the 80s, the movies a typical 8 year old in 1986 would watch were such a big thing for me. It’s all nostalgia for me.

If I had to throw out a really quick top 5 it would probably include the goonies, ghostbusters, karate kid, empire strikes back and raiders of the lost ark.

This is going to be a tough thread for me. Lol. Growing up in the 80s, the movies a typical 8 year old in 1986 would watch were such a big thing for me. It’s all nostalgia for me.

If I had to throw out a really quick top 5 it would probably include the goonies, ghostbusters, karate kid, empire strikes back and raiders of the lost ark.
SPOILERS DUDE!@

Users who are viewing this thread