What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trusting Romo (1 Viewer)

kyoun1e

Footballguy
He was exceptional against Denver, "ok" pretty much this whole season, but since the NOs game debacle something seems missing. Two pretty decent matchups @NYG and OAK and Romo underperformed projections. As a Romo owner, he's held down the fort and gotten me in the playoffs, but now I don't know what to do with him.

This week's matchup is not ideal.

Unless the Dallas coaching staff has their head up their ####, they will run the ball. Furthermore, the weather forecast on Monday night is calling for frigid weather and some wind.

This doesn't paint a picture of upside.

Romo owners: Are you trusting him this week?

If you are, your playoff game will most likely come down to what Romo does on Monday night.

Gulp.

I personally am actually considering Flacco who has a great matchup on paper vs. MN.

Double gulp.

KY

I think I'm going RGIII. Eek. I just feel like the Cowboys are going to run way too much for Romo to do anything special and that's what I need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in same boat.

Also have Alex Smith and Fitzpatrick and Flacco are on the wire.

Not sure what to do. Have rolled with Romo this far and would hate to see him go off on my bench in a high scoring game with potent bears offense while Smith runs a conservative game plan against Redskins (his big games were against Denver and SD both high scoring offenses which Wsh is not).

It's not so much the weather as the recent QB and team play.

My nagging gut keeps saying I should go with Fitzpatrick over Romo.

Most of the experts have Romo projected higher. I just wonder whether they've watched the Cowboys play recently.

Pretty much decided to sit Romo for Alex Smith. The weather for KC/WAS isn't going to be much better, but I can easily see DAL just taking advantage of the porous CHI run defense all day long to the detriment of Romo's stats.

My trust level is low. I've said this elsewhere, but I am getting Troy Aikman vibes from Romo these days. The offense does just enough to win, and they aren't interested in burying opponents. I don't like this road game, on primetime, against a defense that could put 10 in the box and still not stop the run.

I'll be rolling the dice w/ Phillip Rivers (who I've kept on my bench all year except week 11, Romo's bye, since I couldn't find an acceptable trade for either). Rivers has his own issues, for sure. But they're home, 50+ degree weather, and while the Giants haven't been the sieve that many keep saying they are, they do have injuries in the defensive backend, and until the 'Skins game, haven't rushed the passer very well. If I knew I could count on Eli to turn this into a shoot-out, it'd be a no-brainer. As it is, I fail to see how Romo is a weekly must-start given his mediocrity, from a fantasy standpoint, since the Denver game.

Sitting romo for fitz

Bears have been top 5 vs opposing QB last 4 weeks of season

I need the upside that fitz offers against Denver.

Sitting romo for fitz

Right now, I'm going Fitz over Romo as well. Romo has been just so so most of the season and I'm the underdog. Feel like I need to take a chance with Fitz. Probably will agonize over this for the next day. :rolleyes:

Sitting Romo for RGIII even though any one of DeMarco Murray's three touchdowns in the Raiders game could have gone Romo's way.

Sitting romo for fitz

Bears opponents pretty much have sucked.

Ponder/Cassell

Clemons

Flacco (played in a monsoon)

Stafford

Seneca Wallace.

So out of the last five games they have really only faced one good QB, so those stats are kinda skewed.

As a Bears fan they can be passed on at will with the injuries they have had. Now the cold ### weather may cause problems.

Romo and cold weather.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/grizzly-detail/Romos-Cold-Weather-Struggles-Could-Come-into-Play-Monday-234619261.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Tentatively starting Romo and keeping Wilson on the bench. Wilson has been great lately, but he's also played some pretty soft defenses. This week he is @ SF...

Romo very well could have a decent game on MNF. I just don't trust the dude, especially in Chicago, in December, at night. Cowboys were going to try and practice in Dallas' icy conditions to prepare for this game, but being that Dallas completely shuts down and is not set up for the conditions, the team was moved to a local high school dome and practiced indoors.

I'll be sitting him for Rivers I believe. Am also considering Fitzpatrick but the conditions there look pretty damn daunting as well.

I'd be kicking myself more in the balls more if I started him and he put up 12 versus benching him and he put up 30.

I've started Romo over Dalton all year long. While I've had thoughts to make the move, I'm going to roll with Romo.

Sitting romo for fitz

Right now, I'm going Fitz over Romo as well. Romo has been just so so most of the season and I'm the underdog. Feel like I need to take a chance with Fitz. Probably will agonize over this for the next day. :rolleyes:
Me three. One thing I'm noticing with Fitz is he chips in some rushing yards and the occasional rushing TD which Romo never does. Just one more factor in his favor. My guess is that Romo and Fitz end up with similar numbers. If there is a massive difference, odds are it's Fitz with a big game and/or Romo with a clunker. That's the recent trend, and that's Romo in December, a big choking ####### turd. Icing on the cake: Fitz is the majority FBG staff pick.

I am in same boat.

Also have Alex Smith and Fitzpatrick and Flacco are on the wire.

Not sure what to do. Have rolled with Romo this far and would hate to see him go off on my bench in a high scoring game with potent bears offense while Smith runs a conservative game plan against Redskins (his big games were against Denver and SD both high scoring offenses which Wsh is not).
I picked up Flacco this week. He's got one of the best matchups of the week, plays at home, Baltimore can't run, and Pita is expected back.

Only thing preventing me from making the switch is the weather that looks like a mix of snow/sleet/rain and well, he's Flacco.

Very very tempted.

Could see T. Smith and/or J. Jones getting deep.

Current forecast calling for 12 degrees Monday night with 10-20mph winds.

That's similar to what NE/Den experienced. And in that game the ball hit the ground numerous times.

And I doubt Romo's cold weather stats are near the same ballpark as Brady.

Here's a question: What reasons are there to start this guy?

Me three. One thing I'm noticing with Fitz is he chips in some rushing yards and the occasional rushing TD which Romo never does. Just one more factor in his favor.

My guess is that Romo and Fitz end up with similar numbers. If there is a massive difference, odds are it's Fitz with a big game and/or Romo with a clunker. That's the recent trend, and that's Romo in December, a big choking ####### turd. Icing on the cake: Fitz is the majority FBG staff pick.
Lots of people deciding between Fitz and Romo, it seems. I have Fitz penciled in for now, but I'm not feeling great about it. The weather will be bad in Denver too. I think Fitz has a higher potential to boom or bust than Romo. I may wait until the 1pm games are pretty much done to decide. If I'm behind, I'll go with Fitz for the higher ceiling. If I'm ahead, I will consider Romo for the potential of a higher floor.

Romo over McCown...
I'm thinking this game turns out to be one of those projected high-scoring games featuring DAL that fizzle and turn out to be 17-13 games. With the weather/cold conditions and the favorable run defense of CHI, Romo is likely to only get maybe 234/1 TD. Not brutal, but probably not robust enough to get you through to the next round of the playoffs.

As of now I'm starting Cam over Romo.

Cam in New Orleans on Sunday night vs Romo in Chicago on Monday night. I'm not confident in either option.

Romo owner as well. Would anyone fathom rolling out Ej Manuel vs the Bucs? Tampa Bay has given up multiple TDs to QBs like 8 weeks in a row.

Romo over McCown...
Care to explain?
1) Romo has been at least consistent this year with at least a TD in every game.

2) Our league allows for 1 pt. per completion vs. .5 per incompletion meaning that his completetion percentage (which is pretty high) is huge.

3) I still don't trust McCown, especially in the first week of playoffs. I could see that move as a out smarting myself type of move that ends up pretty bad though odds are it wouldn't. I would hate to go out benching the guy I have playing all year.

4) I have Andre Johnson vs. his Ben Tate and MJD giving me the advantage already. I am looking for the sure 20 points. I could change my mind on the QB depending on how the matchup continues to play out.

5) The wind/weather makes me want to go with the more experienced QB even though he is a warm weather guy. For whatever reason, I feel better knowing that he has played in these conditions more.

6) The Cowboys are a pass heavy team where I feel like Chicago would use Bush/Forte more int he conditions.

Things factoring against my decision...

1) Chicago is 23rd against QBS in my settings vs. Dallas being 3rd worst.

2) McCown has been great the last two weeks.

3) Cutler is ruled out so I don't have to worry about mid-game replacement.

Overall, I am leaning towards Romo but I wouldn't have playing McCown (and I also have Fitz who is third on my depth chart).

2) McCown has been great the last two weeks.

This doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling...

Before that 24-21 win over the New York Giants in 25-degree weather two weeks ago, Tony Romo had been 0-3 in games when the temperature was 37 degrees or lower.

Those previous games:
– Dec. 7, 2008 at Pittsburgh, 22 degrees, lost 20-13. Romo’s numbers: 19-of-36 for 210 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs.
– Dec. 6, 2009 at the Giants, 37 degrees, lost 31-24. Romo’s numbers: 41-of-55 for 392 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs.
– Dec. 30, 2012 at Washington, 37 degrees, lost 28-18. Romo’s numbers: 20-of-37 for 218 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs.

The Cowboys are looking at the possibility of playing in single-digit weather Monday night in Chicago, a game that will give Romo a chance to overcome a few other numbers that haven’t been in his favor.
The Cowboys have played the Bears three times since Romo became the team’s starting quarterback in 2006. They’re 1-2 in those games and Romo’s numbers haven’t been good.
His 75.4 QB rating is the lowest he has posted against any team. On top of that, his eight interceptions against the Bears are the most he’s thrown against any team not in the NFC East.
The flip-side to those stats is that the one victory came at Soldier Field (in 2007) and five of those interceptions were thrown in last season’s 34-18 loss on Monday night.
That brings up the other obstacle for Romo to overcome — his struggles on Monday nights. In eight Monday night games, Romo has thrown 10 touchdowns and 17 interceptions to go along with a 69.7 QB rating. Dallas is 4-4 in those games.

Me three. One thing I'm noticing with Fitz is he chips in some rushing yards and the occasional rushing TD which Romo never does. Just one more factor in his favor.

My guess is that Romo and Fitz end up with similar numbers. If there is a massive difference, odds are it's Fitz with a big game and/or Romo with a clunker. That's the recent trend, and that's Romo in December, a big choking ####### turd. Icing on the cake: Fitz is the majority FBG staff pick.
Lots of people deciding between Fitz and Romo, it seems. I have Fitz penciled in for now, but I'm not feeling great about it. The weather will be bad in Denver too. I think Fitz has a higher potential to boom or bust than Romo. I may wait until the 1pm games are pretty much done to decide. If I'm behind, I'll go with Fitz for the higher ceiling. If I'm ahead, I will consider Romo for the potential of a higher floor.
My strategy is similar.. I am playing Calvin, Demarco Murray and Calvin. assuming big games from all 3...

Fortunately Fitz plays late game with ROMO MNF. I am looking for a solid lead coming out of the early games tomorrow. If not, then Fitz offers Big game potential vs Denver whereas I do not see Big Game potential from romo, even on Monday. Maybe Mid-Low Qb 1 (20 Points might be Upside with ROmo?_)

Of course this all means that ROMO will blow up on my bench, with Fitx posting disastrous #;s like 170/1/3 vs Denver..

Trust him? He's been pretty mediocre this year. He had that one big game but hasn't done much other that. There are several guys I would start over him. Personally, I'm rolling with Foles over him this week.

Of course this all means that ROMO will blow up on my bench, with Fitx posting disastrous #;s like 170/1/3 vs Denver..
That is a distinct possibility; I'm not sure that Fitz will fare too much better in the really cold weather in Denver.

I still think Romo has a "decent" floor, even w/ the limitations of his coaching staff. I think he'll do something like 240/1/1. There's just no upside, IMO. I agree with those who plan to see how the early games play-out before deciding on QB. Guess I'll do the same. If Gronk/Lacy/Bengals DST/Garcon can stake me to a solid start by mid-way through 4th quarter, I may opt to play it "safe" & go w/ Romo. If not, I'll roll the dice w/ Rivers, @ home & in good weather (yeah, I know he has warts as well).

Personally, I hope he has an efficient, quiet day. Its no secret that the Bears cant stop the run. Murray should see a heavy workload.

BUT, Romo will still chuck it around. I could easily see close the 300 yds and 2 or 3 tds. Effective running could set up some big plays down the field.

I dunno. Its a tough call for fantasy. If i had a decent alternative, I'd think pretty hard about pluggin him in.

Personally, I hope he has an efficient, quiet day. Its no secret that the Bears cant stop the run. Murray should see a heavy workload.

BUT, Romo will still chuck it around. I could easily see close the 300 yds and 2 or 3 tds. Effective running could set up some big plays down the field.

I dunno. Its a tough call for fantasy. If i had a decent alternative, I'd think pretty hard about pluggin him in.
Based on this YPA of 7.14, he'd need to throw it ~42 times to get to 300. The only way he throws it near that much is if the Bears bust out with a significant, early lead. Unless Callahan quits w/ all the dink & dunk, 300 yds is gonna be extremely tough. Of course, this could be the week where they decide to throw it downfield, but I'm not gonna count on that either. It's all about horses for courses: if you just want safe floor out of your QB this week, Romo is just fine. If you need upside, however, you'd be needing too many things to happen to think Romo really provides it, and that's not based on irrelevant history vs. bears or on MNF. It's based on his actual usage/production since week 5.

Based on this YPA of 7.14, he'd need to throw it ~42 times to get to 300. The only way he throws it near that much is if the Bears bust out with a significant, early lead. Unless Callahan quits w/ all the dink & dunk, 300 yds is gonna be extremely tough. Of course, this could be the week where they decide to throw it downfield, but I'm not gonna count on that either. It's all about horses for courses: if you just want safe floor out of your QB this week, Romo is just fine. If you need upside, however, you'd be needing too many things to happen to think Romo really provides it, and that's not based on irrelevant history vs. bears or on MNF. It's based on his actual usage/production since week 5.
Yea, theres been a lot of dinking and dunking for sure. Some of this has been due to Romo being under duress and getting rid of the ball to keep from getting killed. You're right that Romo prolly has limited upside. But, I could still see an effective run game setting up some big plays down the field. That said, I do not possess a crystal ball.

i was all set on Romo over RGIII but now you all have me 2nd guessing. At least I'll be at the game Monday Night...

I really need Romo to step up this week. By far and away the biggest game of most FF seasons so this is crunch time.

I have Can Newton as my QB but I need Dez Bryant to have a big game. Bryant's production over the past few weeks has been underwhelming to say the least. Hopefully the coaches have drilled into Romo's head to start feeding Dez all game. I dont understand why they aren't force feeding Dez; he's their best offensive player & an elite type WR.

Romo needs to start trusting Bryant to win those one on one battles when the ball is in the air. Dez can out muscle and out jump any CB he faces.. Let him make some plays Romo with the ball in the air!

I really need Romo to step up this week. By far and away the biggest game of most FF seasons so this is crunch time.

I have Can Newton as my QB but I need Dez Bryant to have a big game. Bryant's production over the past few weeks has been underwhelming to say the least. Hopefully the coaches have drilled into Romo's head to start feeding Dez all game. I dont understand why they aren't force feeding Dez; he's their best offensive player & an elite type WR.

Romo needs to start trusting Bryant to win those one on one battles when the ball is in the air. Dez can out muscle and out jump any CB he faces.. Let him make some plays Romo with the ball in the air!
As a Romo owner there's no way I'd start him over Cam...if I had Cam. Cam will at least have a floor due to his running ability.

Still think NO D is a mirage and Cam is ready to take the next step up win or lose.

Same goes for Dalton vs. an realing Indy D.

Easy choices.

In the past, I've been screwed by Romo in the playoffs. Let's hope he doesn't do it again. I'm rolling with him over Fitz.

Rolling with Romo over RGIII only because I trust RGIII less and the Bears made Matt Cassel look legit last week.

Hmmm Fitz on my wire and also have Alex smith on my Bench.

Smith goes at 1pm need to decide in a hurry. Great matchup for Smith but think he won't need to pass much against Washington.

Users who are viewing this thread