What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unofficial Canadian Thread - Previously Trucker Convoy thread (1 Viewer)

#BREAKING: Leadership of @liberal_party & @NDP have reached a tentative agreement that would see NDP support Liberal gov’t to keep it in power until 2025 in exchange for movement on key NDP priorities, @CBCNews has learned. 

------

If this agreement goes through, it's excellent news for centre/left Canadians and Justin Trudeau. Apparently among the NDP priorities that will be pushed through are national pharmacare and dental care. 

It probably sets the stage for Trudeau to step down as leader of the Liberal party in 2024ish after a couple more years of building his legacy, which could include legalized marijuana, CERB, national child care benefit, introduction of climate action measures, increased female representation in cabinet, national pharmacare and national dental care. A lot still to follow through on and I wish I could include electoral reform/proportional representation on that list but policy wise, pretty good. 

If I'm a right wing Canadian I'm probably not too happy today but the Liberal and NDP combined easily represent a majority of Canadians and a majority of seats in parliament. This is why I so badly want electoral reform. We are a centre left country and always have been but vote splitting on the left sometimes makes it seem like we're not. 

More of this working together please. 

#BREAKING: Leadership of @liberal_party & @NDP have reached a tentative agreement that would see NDP support Liberal gov’t to keep it in power until 2025 in exchange for movement on key NDP priorities, @CBCNews has learned. 

------

If this agreement goes through, it's excellent news for centre/left Canadians and Justin Trudeau. Apparently among the NDP priorities that will be pushed through are national pharmacare and dental care. 

It probably sets the stage for Trudeau to step down as leader of the Liberal party in 2024ish after a couple more years of building his legacy, which could include legalized marijuana, CERB, national child care benefit, introduction of climate action measures, increased female representation in cabinet, national pharmacare and national dental care. A lot still to follow through on and I wish I could include electoral reform/proportional representation on that list but policy wise, pretty good. 

If I'm a right wing Canadian I'm probably not too happy today but the Liberal and NDP combined easily represent a majority of Canadians and a majority of seats in parliament. This is why I so badly want electoral reform. We are a centre left country and always have been but vote splitting on the left sometimes makes it seem like we're not. 

More of this working together please. 

overall i am ok with this as i wish more governments worked with the opposition instead fighting and taking the opposite stance just because the other team thinks it is good  
I get why the conservatives are complaining and framing it as now we are 1 step away from communism as it fires up their base 

when trudeau  first run , PR was 1 of his main platforms which i would like but the systems they mentioned at the time were brutality confusing 
Once he realized PR was bad for the Liberals , it was off the table 

i do think you are right about this giving trudeau time to right the party and step down with enough time to get a new leader and have a federal election 

side note 
it is amazing on how many conservatives leaders got booted or in trouble with their own members and party  because of their handling of covid 

O'toole
Moe in Saskatchewan 
Kenney in Alberta 
Pallister in Manitoba 

when trudeau  first run , PR was 1 of his main platforms which i would like but the systems they mentioned at the time were brutality confusing 

Once he realized PR was bad for the Liberals , it was off the table 
This was doubly infuriating to me because it was my MP (Monsef) who was in charge of it and then did nothing. I voted NDP this time around and the riding went Conservative. 

This was doubly infuriating to me because it was my MP (Monsef) who was in charge of it and then did nothing. I voted NDP this time around and the riding went Conservative. 
i wouldve voted  NDP last election for the 1st time ever but didnt want to risk my riding going to conservative as it been in the past 

that is why PR is so needed so governments cant make a campaign promise then do nothing about them 
PR i think would hurt conservatives the most  as they would most likely #1 choice for 1/3 of canada but the last choice for the other 2/3

I honestly dont know how i would rank my choice at this moment , they all have soo many flaws 

COVID-19 restrictions are lifting, but unvaccinated Canadians still can't board planes or trains

"Because she's unvaccinated against COVID-19, Tamika McIntosh of Brampton, Ont., wasn't allowed to board a plane to fly to Jamaica last month to attend her grandfather's funeral.

Now, McIntosh combs the news daily for any indication when Canada might lift its vaccine mandate for travellers so she can finally go to Jamaica and pay her last respects. 

"You don't get the closure when you don't get to physically be there to say goodbye," said McIntosh. "Until I physically get to go to his grave site and spend some time there, that void will always be open."

Canada's vaccine mandate — which took effect in November 2021 to boost vaccination rates — prevents unvaccinated Canadians from boarding a commercial plane or train in Canada to both domestic and international destinations. Now that COVID-19 restrictions are fast disappearing, some unvaccinated Canadians question why the federal government still maintains the mandate."

--------------------------------------

Canadians still being denied the right to leave the country despite reaching the imaginary threshold for vaccination long ago. It's not about safety. It's about pharma profits. Trudeau ordered more vaxs per Capita then any other country in the world. He has to deliver that order. 

Insein said:
COVID-19 restrictions are lifting, but unvaccinated Canadians still can't board planes or trains

"Because she's unvaccinated against COVID-19, Tamika McIntosh of Brampton, Ont., wasn't allowed to board a plane to fly to Jamaica last month to attend her grandfather's funeral.

Now, McIntosh combs the news daily for any indication when Canada might lift its vaccine mandate for travellers so she can finally go to Jamaica and pay her last respects. 

"You don't get the closure when you don't get to physically be there to say goodbye," said McIntosh. "Until I physically get to go to his grave site and spend some time there, that void will always be open."

Canada's vaccine mandate — which took effect in November 2021 to boost vaccination rates — prevents unvaccinated Canadians from boarding a commercial plane or train in Canada to both domestic and international destinations. Now that COVID-19 restrictions are fast disappearing, some unvaccinated Canadians question why the federal government still maintains the mandate."

--------------------------------------

Canadians still being denied the right to leave the country despite reaching the imaginary threshold for vaccination long ago. It's not about safety. It's about pharma profits. Trudeau ordered more vaxs per Capita then any other country in the world. He has to deliver that order. 
This doesn't seem too hard to get around. Just drive to Buffalo and fly from there.

I think the US had the land border restriction of needing to be vaxxed are going through a quarantine period.
Oh. Based on the article, I assumed the Canadian government was the only one in the world to still have Vax requirements.

To be honest, I think the convoy probably had the opposite effect. They just made the federal government dig in more. They don't want to look like they caved to the protestors. I imagine the requirements will be removed soon since all provinces are doing the same.

Oh. Based on the article, I assumed the Canadian government was the only one in the world to still have Vax requirements.

To be honest, I think the convoy probably had the opposite effect. They just made the federal government dig in more. They don't want to look like they caved to the protestors. I imagine the requirements will be removed soon since all provinces are doing the same.
I agree.  I actually think the mask mandate would have come down quicker in BC if not for the trucker protest.

Canada is much more Liberal than the US.  Trudeau knew what he was doing by disparaging the protest.  He knows that most Canadians do an eye-roll at the Trucker Convoy.

I agree.  I actually think the mask mandate would have come down quicker in BC if not for the trucker protest.

Canada is much more Liberal than the US.  Trudeau knew what he was doing by disparaging the protest.  He knows that most Canadians do an eye-roll at the Trucker Convoy.
Good then that he's admitting it has nothing to do with science and is all about punishing people.  

Good then that he's admitting it has nothing to do with science and is all about punishing people.  
Combination of science and political calculation (at the end).  I hate to tell you this, but mandates worked.  Canada had 900 deaths per Million and the US has 2700 deaths per million.

Combination of science and political calculation (at the end).  I hate to tell you this, but mandates worked.  Canada had 900 deaths per Million and the US has 2700 deaths per million.
Correlation does not equal causation. Age and pre-existing conditions still play a larger part in determining hospitalization or death. 

Canada had approximately 18% of it's population above the age of 65 in 2020 (about 6.8m people). The US had approximately 25% above 65 in 2020 (about  82.8m people). The average life expectancy for Canadians was 83 years (85 for women, 81 for men). US was 79 years (81 for women, 77 for men). 

These are much more likely causes for the difference in the death rate between the 2 countries than a forced medical injection and government lockdowns. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Correlation does not equal causation. Age and pre-existing conditions still play a larger part in determining hospitalization or death. 

Canada had approximately 18% of it's population above the age of 65 in 2020 (about 6.8m people). The US had approximately 25% above 65 in 2020 (about  82.8m people). The average life expectancy for Canadians was 83 years (85 for women, 81 for men). US was 79 years (81 for women, 77 for men). 

These are much more likely causes for the difference in the death rate between the 2 countries than a forced medical injection and government lockdowns. 
I'm glad my 94 year old grandmother received her "forced medical injection" prior to catching covid. It seems to have done its job wonderfully.

I'm glad my 94 year old grandmother received her "forced medical injection" prior to catching covid. It seems to have done its job wonderfully.
Yes it's wonderful. Also my grandmother 91, who was a nurse for 50+ years, said no to the forced medical injection. She is also still kicking. 

You really think this accounted for a 3:1 less ratio in deaths?  Come on.  Vaccinations, masks, and social distancing were huge factors.  Just look at hospital deaths and people in the ICU's once the vaccinations came.  In BC we were 90% vaccinated, yet the Covid ICU ward had a consisten 50/50 split between vaccinated and non-vaccinated.  Those numbers are huge.

Lets also look at what masks and social distancing did to the Flu (which spreads very similarly to Covid) in 2020.  What do you think dropped the Flu cases in Canada in 2020?

https://globalnews.ca/news/8181383/flu-season-canada-covid-fall-2021/

PHAC recorded 69 influenza detections in the 2020-21 flu season, in its final FluWatch report on Aug. 28. Normally, around 52,000 cases are detected.

You really think this accounted for a 3:1 less ratio in deaths?  Come on.  Vaccinations, masks, and social distancing were huge factors.  Just look at hospital deaths and people in the ICU's once the vaccinations came.  In BC we were 90% vaccinated, yet the Covid ICU ward had a consisten 50/50 split between vaccinated and non-vaccinated.  Those numbers are huge.

Lets also look at what masks and social distancing did to the Flu (which spreads very similarly to Covid) in 2020.  What do you think dropped the Flu cases in Canada in 2020?

https://globalnews.ca/news/8181383/flu-season-canada-covid-fall-2021/
Yes what did happen to the flu. It also disappeared in the US as well for 20-21.  I wonder, I wonder. 

Users who are viewing this thread