What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vanderjagt to appear on Late Nite with (1 Viewer)

pizzatyme

Footballguy
Guys, I just thought I'd give you a laugh if you haven't heard, Letterman is having the Colts FG unit on to do some FGs tonight.Just an FYI

I watched this segment. Vandy made the 46 yd attempt on 53rd st.During the interview, Letterman asked Vanderjagt, "How is Peyton?" The reply was "Peyton is fine, physically"

I watched this segment. Vandy made the 46 yd attempt on 53rd st.

During the interview, Letterman asked Vanderjagt, "How is Peyton?" The reply was "Peyton is fine, physically"
I'll give Vandy credit. That guy sure has a mouth on him.

I think Vandy is only telling the truth. Peyton has struggled in the big games against the Pats the last few years and this year vs Pitt. No 46 yard FGs are gimmes. Plus that was only to tie not win the game. Indy still could have easily lost that game.

I think Vandy is only telling the truth. Peyton has struggled in the big games against the Pats the last few years and this year vs Pitt.

No 46 yard FGs are gimmes. Plus that was only to tie not win the game. Indy still could have easily lost that game.
He didn't miss it, HE MISSED IT!! I wouldn't want to have to depend on him again in the playoffs. Vandy = Ray Finkel

I think Vandy is only telling the truth. Peyton has struggled in the big games against the Pats the last few years and this year vs Pitt.

No 46 yard FGs are gimmes. Plus that was only to tie not win the game. Indy still could have easily lost that game.
He didn't miss it, HE MISSED IT!! I wouldn't want to have to depend on him again in the playoffs. Vandy = Ray Finkel
Seriously, what's the difference between just barely missing and missing badly? To me, there is none.

Seriously, what's the difference between just barely missing and missing badly? To me, there is none.
Same a missing a put..it either goes in or it does not go in.Would you have felt better if it clanged off the upright?

You are in a dome and at the 28 yard line with the most accurate kicker in history, you should be able to feel safe about the position and go for the win. I believe many of that Pats' game winning kicks were from 43 or so outdoors and nobody talked about tom brady should of gotten more yards because THE KICKER DID HIS JOB AND MADE IT. don't forget he also missed a game winner against the dolphins in the playoffs several years ago.

Die, Payton DIE !!!! LACES OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

I think the difference is choking or just missing. When you miss that badly, it's safe to call it a choke. I can't remember the last time I saw a kick miss that far wide.

Choke Level?

Norwood's kick barely missed, poor guy. Vandy's kick was no-good the second his foot touched it. I agree that a miss is a miss, but you can't feel good about it not even hitting the net. What a great souvenir for that Colts fan.THROW IT BACK!

You are in a dome and at the 28 yard line with the most accurate kicker in history, you should be able to feel safe about the position and go for the win. I believe many of that Pats' game winning kicks were from 43 or so outdoors and nobody talked about tom brady should of gotten more yards because THE KICKER DID HIS JOB AND MADE IT.
But I guess it doesn't count if you're down by 11 in the fourth quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manning did a poor job of going for it all on third down when he had guys open over the middle that could have picked up a first down and another 10 yards. Again..poor decisions in crunch time.

Manning did a poor job of going for it all on third down when he had guys open over the middle that could have picked up a first down and another 10 yards.

Again..poor decisions in crunch time.
I think Manning went for it all on 2nd down, and about a 20 yd pass on 3rd down. Yes, he should have tried to pickup 5 or 6 yds, but considering how badly Vandy missed that kick, he probably would have missed from 19 yds. Also, 30-39 wasn't a give me either. At least for Vandy it isn't with the pressure on.

Adam Vinateri (sp?) made a 45 yarder outdoors in the snow to send the Oakland snow game into OT several years ago, 48 yarder to beat the Rams in the Super Bowl, I believe 46 to beat the Titans in the playoffs several years ago. Why weren't people all over Tom Brady for not getting them closer? Because he made it.For the one saying Peyton had people open over the middle on third down, Maybe there weren't passing lanes there so he could see them, or maybe with all the pressure he had been getting he was going to try one option and then get rid of it so as not to risk a sack and lose more yardage. Again, you are at the 28 yard line in a dome, you should feel safe about trying for the win from there. It's obvious Da Guru has hatred for Peyton because he's basically blaming Peyton for the missed field goal somehow.. Thank goodness for the ignore function.

Adam Vinateri (sp?) made a 45 yarder outdoors in the snow to send the Oakland snow game into OT several years ago, 48 yarder to beat the Rams in the Super Bowl, I believe 46 to beat the Titans in the playoffs several years ago. Why weren't people all over Tom Brady for not getting them closer? Because he made it.

For the one saying Peyton had people open over the middle on third down, Maybe there weren't passing lanes there so he could see them, or maybe with all the pressure he had been getting he was going to try one option and then get rid of it so as not to risk a sack and lose more yardage. Again, you are at the 28 yard line in a dome, you should feel safe about trying for the win from there. It's obvious Da Guru has hatred for Peyton because he's basically blaming Peyton for the missed field goal somehow.. Thank goodness for the ignore function.
I don`t hate Peyton. I am not even an Indy or Pitt fan. I watched the whole game, just calling it like I see it. That game was lost way before Vandy missed. Only a admitted totally blown call from the ref on the Pitt INT was the only reason Indy even had another chance to try and "Tie" the game.

That game was lost way before Vandy missed.  Only a  admitted totally blown call from the ref on the Pitt INT was the only reason Indy even had another chance to try and "Tie" the game.
No, it wasn't lost before the Vandy miss, otherwise the kick woudn't have been for the tie. Yes, the bad call on the interception and other events enabled the Colts to be in a position to tie, but that doesn't take away from the miss. Choke is a choke on that kick.

That game was lost way before Vandy missed.  Only a  admitted totally blown call from the ref on the Pitt INT was the only reason Indy even had another chance to try and "Tie" the game.
No, it wasn't lost before the Vandy miss, otherwise the kick woudn't have been for the tie. Yes, the bad call on the interception and other events enabled the Colts to be in a position to tie, but that doesn't take away from the miss. Choke is a choke on that kick.
I agree! The Colts have 2 chokers. Not good for big games.

I agree! The Colts have 2 chokers. Not good for big games.
Is this a Manning thread or a Vandy thread? I'm sure it would be easy to post Manning choke posts in threads dedicated ot Manning.

I think the difference is choking or just missing.  When you miss that badly, it's safe to call it a choke. I can't remember the last time I saw a kick miss that far wide.
See Kris Brown, kicker, Houston v. Tennessee, December 11, 2005 :X

Was Vandershank taunting the PITT sidelines before the kick? If so, he is an absolute tool. I know he did it last year @ NE in the season opener, and then missed the kick.Nice earring, Mikey. I bet he can't wait to explain the miss to all his girlfriends at the salon. He'll blame it on his holder or on the fact that Manning couldn't get them closer.Canada....please take this j@ackhole back.

Was Vandershank taunting the PITT sidelines before the kick?  If so, he is an absolute tool.  I know he did it last year @ NE in the season opener, and then missed the kick.

Nice earring, Mikey.  I bet he can't wait to explain the miss to all his girlfriends at the salon.  He'll blame it on his holder or on the fact that Manning couldn't get them closer.

Canada....please take this j@ackhole back.
Yes, he was. He also flirted with a female reporter (at least that was her claim) before he missed a game winning kick @ Miami in the playoffs.

Adam Vinateri (sp?) made a 45 yarder outdoors in the snow to send the Oakland snow game into OT several years ago, 48 yarder to beat the Rams in the Super Bowl, I believe 46 to beat the Titans in the playoffs several years ago. Why weren't people all over Tom Brady for not getting them closer? Because he made it.
No, because he drove them into range (Brady didn't get the ball back at midfield in those drives) and because they kicked them as time expired, not because they'd failed to get as many yards as they could. There's a HUGE difference between the drives Brady led to get them to field goal range with seconds left on the clock, and Manning getting the same distance with 20+ seconds left and two timeouts and deciding that's close enough.

Hi HC,Trust me, you're wasting your time there. I agree with you, but trust me....

J

Anyone have a link to the video of Vanderjagt on Letterman?I'm hearing different stuff. Did he say something about Tiger Woods?J

Yes, he was. He also flirted with a female reporter (at least that was her claim) before he missed a game winning kick @ Miami in the playoffs.
I bet they were just talkin' about girl things like earrings, purses, shoes and stuff. He probably made a negative comment about her jewelry and made it appear that he was hitting on her to get back at him.

Hi HC,Trust me, you're wasting your time there. I agree with you, but trust me....

J
:unsure: Watchu Talkin' Bout Willis? ;)

No, because he drove them into range (Brady didn't get the ball back at midfield in those drives) and because they kicked them as time expired, not because they'd failed to get as many yards as they could.

There's a HUGE difference between the drives Brady led to get them to field goal range with seconds left on the clock, and Manning getting the same distance with 20+ seconds left and two timeouts and deciding that's close enough.
Revisionist history. New England Patriots at 2:06

1-10-NE 46 (2:06) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass to 33-K.Faulk to OAK 47 for 7 yards (33-A. Dorsett).

Two-Minute Warning

2-3-OAK 47 (1:59) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady left end pushed ob at OAK 42 for 5 yards (90-G. Jackson).

1-10-OAK 42 (1:50) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady sacked at OAK 48 for -6 yards (24-C. Woodson). FUMBLES (24-C. Woodson), RECOVERED by OAK-54-G. Biekert at OAK 48. 54-G. Biekert to OAK 48 for no gain (85-J.Wiggins). Play Challenged by Review Assistant and REVERSED. (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete.

2-10-OAK 42 (1:47) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass to 86-D.Patten to OAK 29 for 13 yards (59-W. Thomas).

1-10-OAK 29 (1:18) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete to 80-T.Brown (24-C. Woodson).

2-10-OAK 29 (1:15) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete to 85-J.Wiggins (94-T. Bryant).

3-10-OAK 29 (1:11) 12-T.Brady up the middle to OAK 28 for 1 yard (90-G. Jackson, 24-C. Woodson).

4-9-OAK 28 :-)32) 4-A.Vinatieri 45 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-66-L.Paxton, Holder-13-K.Walter.

Brady had plenty of time and three shots to get Vinatieri closer, in the snow. And he got the ball at the New England 46. If Vinatieri misses, is Brady a choker?

And of course in OT there was plenty of time, so Brady must have choked in all of those games Vinatieri won in OT.

(Do we need to mention Brady's and Vinatieri's combined choke this year?)

I think the difference is choking or just missing. When you miss that badly, it's safe to call it a choke. I can't remember the last time I saw a kick miss that far wide.
That hurricane game this year, but at least that one was understandable.

No, because he drove them into range (Brady didn't get the ball back at midfield in those drives) and because they kicked them as time expired, not because they'd failed to get as many yards as they could. 

There's a HUGE difference between the drives Brady led to get them to field goal range with seconds left on the clock, and Manning getting the same distance with 20+ seconds left and two timeouts and deciding that's close enough.
Revisionist history. New England Patriots at 2:06

1-10-NE 46 (2:06) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass to 33-K.Faulk to OAK 47 for 7 yards (33-A. Dorsett).

Two-Minute Warning

2-3-OAK 47 (1:59) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady left end pushed ob at OAK 42 for 5 yards (90-G. Jackson).

1-10-OAK 42 (1:50) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady sacked at OAK 48 for -6 yards (24-C. Woodson). FUMBLES (24-C. Woodson), RECOVERED by OAK-54-G. Biekert at OAK 48. 54-G. Biekert to OAK 48 for no gain (85-J.Wiggins). Play Challenged by Review Assistant and REVERSED. (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete.

2-10-OAK 42 (1:47) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass to 86-D.Patten to OAK 29 for 13 yards (59-W. Thomas).

1-10-OAK 29 (1:18) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete to 80-T.Brown (24-C. Woodson).

2-10-OAK 29 (1:15) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete to 85-J.Wiggins (94-T. Bryant).

3-10-OAK 29 (1:11) 12-T.Brady up the middle to OAK 28 for 1 yard (90-G. Jackson, 24-C. Woodson).

4-9-OAK 28 :-)32) 4-A.Vinatieri 45 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-66-L.Paxton, Holder-13-K.Walter.

Brady had plenty of time and three shots to get Vinatieri closer, in the snow. And he got the ball at the New England 46. If Vinatieri misses, is Brady a choker?

And of course in OT there was plenty of time, so Brady must have choked in all of those games Vinatieri won in OT.

(Do we need to mention Brady's and Vinatieri's combined choke this year?)
I can understand why you'd pick the snow game gamelog since the Superbowl drive doesn't match your argument. But then again, I also think you understand the difference between Brady passing twice and running once in the blizzard (and I'm sure you remember that the snow was ridiculous in that game - when Vinatieri kicked the game winner, you literally couldn't see it on TV) in which neither team had been able to pass in an attempt to make it a shorter field goal to tie the game, and Manning throwing two long passes when the team had plenty of time left in a dome after quickly getting them to the outside of field goal range.

and this game in 2003 against the Titans in the playoffs the Pats take over on Tennessee's side of the field with 6:40 left in the game tied at 14 apiece.

1st and 10 at TEN 40 Antowain Smith (NWE) rushed for 5 yards.

2nd and 5 at TEN 35 Kevin Faulk (NWE) rushed for 2 yards.

3rd and 3 at TEN 33 Tom Brady (NWE) pass incomplete

4th and 3 at TEN 33 Tom Brady (NWE) pass complete to Troy Brown (NWE) for 4 yards.

1st and 10 at TEN 29 Kevin Faulk (NWE) rushed for 2 yards.

2nd and 8 at TEN 27 Tennessee timeout; 04:21 remaining 4th quarter

2nd and 8 at TEN 27 Tom Brady (NWE) pass incomplete

3rd and 8 at TEN 27 Tom Brady (NWE) pass incomplete

4th and 8 at TEN 27 46 yard field goal by Adam Vinatieri (NWE) is good.

Edit to add: I'm done.. we can all have our own opinions and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter who is right or wrong on the subject. Everyone has made a strong case for each side and its obvious that neither side is going to change so lets all focus on the teams that are actually still playing and the offseason. Good luck to everyone.

and this game in 2003 against the Titans in the playoffs the Pats take over on Tennessee's side of the field with 6:40 left in the game tied at 14 apiece.

1st and 10 at TEN 40 Antowain Smith (NWE) rushed for 5 yards.

2nd and 5 at TEN 35 Kevin Faulk (NWE) rushed for 2 yards.

3rd and 3 at TEN 33 Tom Brady (NWE) pass incomplete

4th and 3 at TEN 33 Tom Brady (NWE) pass complete to Troy Brown (NWE) for 4 yards.

1st and 10 at TEN 29 Kevin Faulk (NWE) rushed for 2 yards.

2nd and 8 at TEN 27 Tennessee timeout; 04:21 remaining 4th quarter

2nd and 8 at TEN 27 Tom Brady (NWE) pass incomplete

3rd and 8 at TEN 27 Tom Brady (NWE) pass incomplete

4th and 8 at TEN 27 46 yard field goal by Adam Vinatieri (NWE) is good.
HC,Trust me, read my post above.

J

:D

[quote name=CalBear' date='Jan 20 2006, 01:31 I can understand why you'd pick the snow game gamelog since the Superbowl drive doesn't match your argument.
:shrug:

The Snow Game was the 1st line of the post you replied to...

Joe Knew :P

OK, a simple translation for those of us in the reality-based community:If you get the ball on your own 46 yard line with 2:06 left, drive to the opposing 28, throw two incomplete passes, and set up for a field goal, you're clutch*.If you get the ball on your own 42 with 1:01 left, drive to the opposing 28, throw two incomplete passes, and set up for a field goal, you're a choker.Somehow I think the color of your jersey must have something to do with it.* I left out the tuck rule play. I think the right call was made based on the rule, but it still was a bad play on Brady's part; if he gets sacked there, New England is in serious trouble.

OK, a simple translation for those of us in the reality-based community:

If you get the ball on your own 46 yard line with 2:06 left, drive to the opposing 28, throw two incomplete passes, and set up for a field goal, you're clutch*.

If you get the ball on your own 42 with 1:01 left, drive to the opposing 28, throw two incomplete passes, and set up for a field goal, you're a choker.

Somehow I think the color of your jersey must have something to do with it.

* I left out the tuck rule play.  I think the right call was made based on the rule, but it still was a bad play on Brady's part; if he gets sacked there, New England is in serious trouble.
I wonder, should we ignore the fact that Peyton was playing in a nicely air conditioned indoor environment but that Brady was playing in (falling) snow when we discuss this subject? :popcorn:

OK, a simple translation for those of us in the reality-based community:

If you get the ball on your own 46 yard line with 2:06 left, drive to the opposing 28, throw two incomplete passes, and set up for a field goal, you're clutch*.

If you get the ball on your own 42 with 1:01 left, drive to the opposing 28, throw two incomplete passes, and set up for a field goal, you're a choker.

Somehow I think the color of your jersey must have something to do with it.

* I left out the tuck rule play.  I think the right call was made based on the rule, but it still was a bad play on Brady's part; if he gets sacked there, New England is in serious trouble.
1. Brady was a 2nd year player and 1st year starter in his 1st playoff game - Manning is "supposed" to be in his prime2. Brady was in the snow - Manning was in a dome.

3. Brady threw two incompletions on 1st and 2nd down - leaving a 3rd and 10. Then they set up for a FG after a Brady 1-yard run. What made Manning's attempt so lousy was he had a 2nd and 2 at the 28, with 2 TOs left, and tried 2 low % passes instead of picking up the 1st down, using a time out, and having 1st and 10 at around the 25 or so with 1 TO left and 20+ seconds left (which then you can try to take a couple of shots downfield and/or moving the ball close for a higher % FG).

Brady is clutch not particularly because of that drive, but because he became clutch - starting with the Super Bowl drive and in many other moments. Manning has simply not gotten better in the playoffs as he has gotten more experienced - and that just isn't excusable.

3. Brady threw two incompletions on 1st and 2nd down - leaving a 3rd and 10. Then they set up for a FG after a Brady 1-yard run. What made Manning's attempt so lousy was he had a 2nd and 2 at the 28, with 2 TOs left, and tried 2 low % passes instead of picking up the 1st down, using a time out, and having 1st and 10 at around the 25 or so with 1 TO left and 20+ seconds left (which then you can try to take a couple of shots downfield and/or moving the ball close for a higher % FG).
See, I totally disagree with the logic that it is inherently correct to throw a short pass in that situation. A touchdown wins the game. A field goal sends it to OT. A TD is much better than a field goal, and you may not get a better chance than taking a couple of shots on downs where the opponents may be playing up, expecting a short pass. Going for it all is consistent with the way the Colts have played the past two years, in case you haven't been watching.

3.  Brady threw two incompletions on 1st and 2nd down - leaving a 3rd and 10.  Then they set up for a FG after a Brady 1-yard run.  What made Manning's attempt so lousy was he had a 2nd and 2 at the 28, with 2 TOs left, and tried 2 low % passes instead of picking up the 1st down, using a time out, and having 1st and 10 at around the 25 or so with 1 TO left and 20+ seconds left (which then you can try to take a couple of shots downfield and/or moving the ball close for a higher % FG).
See, I totally disagree with the logic that it is inherently correct to throw a short pass in that situation. A touchdown wins the game. A field goal sends it to OT. A TD is much better than a field goal, and you may not get a better chance than taking a couple of shots on downs where the opponents may be playing up, expecting a short pass. Going for it all is consistent with the way the Colts have played the past two years, in case you haven't been watching.
On 2nd down - that is debatable. On 3rd down - that is a poor decision.

On 2nd down - that is debatable. On 3rd down - that is a poor decision.
You're result merchanting. If they scored a TD on third down you wouldn't be questioning the decision.

On 2nd down - that is debatable.  On 3rd down - that is a poor decision.
You're result merchanting. If they scored a TD on third down you wouldn't be questioning the decision.
Maybe. But before the 3rd down play, all I was saying was, "Please - just pick up the 1st down - just pick up the first down and call TO - I don't want Vandy to kick from there." Then I shook my head when I saw the play.

Users who are viewing this thread