What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the GOP candidate in 2024? (1 Viewer)

What say ye?

• Total voters
18% of voters think it will be a member of Trump's family. :lol:
Too low or too high?
Too high. It's wishcasting combined with a disregard for some of the key elements of Trump's popularity.

I mean, I totally get that 18% of people in this country would love to have a Trump in the White House. But in order to win, you have to have a certain amount of appeal that extends beyond your political tribe. You can't just make "Owning Libs!" as the core of your platform. Yes, Donald Sr. motivated the Republican base like no other president in modern history -- but he also had just enough crossover appeal and name recognition to push him over the top.

Prior to running for president, Don Sr. had established himself as a successful businessman and TV icon with a knack for making charismatic speeches. For some non-Republican voters, that was enough to earn their vote. But none of the Trump kids (or his wife) have that kind of résumé. The whole idea reminds me of people who think Michelle Obama should run for President. It takes more than a name to win the Presidency.

Too high. It's wishcasting combined with a disregard for some of the key elements of Trump's popularity.

I mean, I totally get that 18% of people in this country would love to have a Trump in the White House. But in order to win, you have to have a certain amount of appeal that extends beyond your political tribe. You can't just make "Owning Libs!" as the core of your platform. Yes, Donald Sr. motivated the Republican base like no other president in modern history -- but he also had just enough crossover appeal and name recognition to push him over the top.

Prior to running for president, Don Sr. had established himself as a successful businessman and TV icon with a knack for making charismatic speeches. For some non-Republican voters, that was enough to earn their vote. But none of the Trump kids (or his wife) have that kind of résumé. The whole idea reminds me of people who think Michelle Obama should run for President. It takes more than a name to win the Presidency.
I think you're misinterpreting the voting results.  Voting is anonymous but my suspicion is that the 18% is less in the "wishcasting" crew and more in the "doomcasting" crew.  I certainly wouldn't want another Trump as President but I voted for Ivanka.

This survey is not about winning the Presidency it's about winning the Republican nomination.  By a wide margin the most influential voice in the party is Trump.  If he gets fully behind a Don Jr. or Ivanka presidency, I think it makes him or her the favorite to get the nomination.  Republican primary voters have pretty clearly established that they don't care about stuff like competence or experience with government.

Too low or too high?
I predict that Trump won't be thought of very highly, even by Republicans, a few years from now. Others in his family aren't traditionally qualified to hold office, which is fine if the Trump brand name is still strong. But if the name becomes a liability, nobody in his family has the independent allure to overcome it.

That said, 18% isn't that high. There's certainly a chance that Trump will remain popular among Republicans. I don't know whether 18% should be surprising.

I think you're misinterpreting the voting results.  Voting is anonymous but my suspicion is that the 18% is less in the "wishcasting" crew and more in the "doomcasting" crew.  I certainly wouldn't want another Trump as President but I voted for Ivanka.

This survey is not about winning the Presidency it's about winning the Republican nomination.  By a wide margin the most influential voice in the party is Trump.  If he gets fully behind a Don Jr. or Ivanka presidency, I think it makes him or her the favorite to get the nomination.  Republican primary voters have pretty clearly established that they don't care about stuff like competence or experience with government.
I just don't see Ivanka or any other Trump family members having broad appeal, even to Republicans. Don Sr. was a billionaire, but he had certain qualities that made him look appealing to non-wealthy people -- love of fast food and gaudy decor, imperfect hair, trophy wife, distrust of China, etc.  Ivanka doesn't tick those boxes.

It takes more than a name and a platform to get the nomination. Don Sr. had a political charisma that I just don't see in any of his family members.

Now this seems like wishcasting to me.
It's hard for me to be confident one way or the other because I find current Republican thinking very difficult to model.

But I think losing the election will remove some of the shine off of him. Fox News still has way more influence than OAN or Newsmax, and I think the Trump-Fox alliance will break down. There will be a lot of unflattering information coming out about the rank incompetence of his administration -- from insiders on the record. He'll be indicted by New York (and maybe the DOJ) for criminal activity that will be next-to-impossible to deny. His constant lying and whining will not subside.

At least some of those things might, with time, be seen as negatives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compared with Trump, all candidates are boring. Crenshaw did a good job on SNL when Pete Davidson apologized for making fun of his eye patch. He speaks fluent Spanish, a result of living in Ecuador and Columbia while his father was a petroleum engineer. That should help with the Hispanic vote. I'm ready for boring, and young, but he's a long shot.

Anyone who doesn't appeal immediately to Trump's MAGA base is a long shot.

The only two people who do that right now would be Crenshaw and Kayleigh McEnany. McEnany however lacks many of the other factors to be a true contender. That being said, if she ever got into a debate cycle with any Democrat at a lower level of politics, like a run for Governor one day, she would destroy them. As a pure debater, she's only slightly less terrifying than Ben Shapiro from the right side of the aisle.

Would Crenshaw be in a better position if he was Governor in a clearly Red stronghold? Yes. But, to be fair,  not being Governor now avoids the pandemic/COVID19 response question each Governor would have to face for a POTUS run (this issue eliminates Noem, De Santis, Cuomo, Walz, Whitmer and Kate Brown immediately and guts Newsom nearly beyond repair)

If you want to win POTUS as a Republican in 2024, you need Nikki Haley on the same ticket. She won't run with Trump, because that basically precludes her from running on her own without the Trump baggage later. I don't think Trump can win without her. When she surveys the field, she's not going to run with Carlson or McEnany nor Ted Cruz. She's not going to roll with Crenshaw because it's her first choice, but because it's the only choice by process of elimination.

As for Trump's family, Don Jr and Ivanka would need to run for a HOR seat or Senate seat first. They need a legacy outside their father first. Anyone here pushing that ( most lefties) otherwise is doing so to simply do more ORANGE MAN BAD. Same with the false narrative that Trump will pardon himself and same with the false narrative that he's a white supremacist inciting militia insurrection.

Four years is a LONG TIME in politics. Even 2 years is forever and everyone here should be versed from that from how the NFL operates. Four years is a long time for AOC and her faction ( now 8 votes in a current 222-212 split) to pick more more Progressive loyalists in the 2022 HOR cycle and to gut the Obama/Biden loyalists and the Pelosi/Newsom cabal. The DNC is horribly fractured and that won't get better in four years. The answer was Tulsi Gabbard. Had the DNC backed Gabbard this cycle, this would not even be a question, she's hold the ticket and the POTUS in 2024 as well. But the power brokers of the DNC couldn't control her so they canceled her. Like they cancelled Bernie Sanders in 2016. ( You think AOC and her voting block will ever forget that?) Funny that you never hear the woke cancel culture lefties here talk about Gabbard. Because it would be reflective of how poor a choice Biden was overall.

Crenshaw/Haley don't need to overwhelm, they just need to pick off whomever emerges from the DNC after all the internal infighting between the AOC/Obama&Biden/Pelosi gangs.

18% of voters think it will be a member of Trump's family. :lol:

You mean in a poll where Trump's family is 50 percent of all options and Trump's wife has a better chance than Nikki Haley, Tom Cotton and Josh Hawley ( all completely omitted)?

The OP couldn't have even be bothered to list contenders aggregated by betting odds ( There are way way way too many Fan Duel/daily fantasy guys here on FBG to ignore that route)

Is your political tribalism that pronounced that you'll use a flawed poll to drive through ORANGE MAN BAD into ORANGE FAMILY BAD?

Anyone who doesn't appeal immediately to Trump's MAGA base is a long shot.

The only two people who do that right now would be Crenshaw and Kayleigh McEnany. McEnany however lacks many of the other factors to be a true contender. That being said, if she ever got into a debate cycle with any Democrat at a lower level of politics, like a run for Governor one day, she would destroy them. As a pure debater, she's only slightly less terrifying than Ben Shapiro from the right side of the aisle.

Would Crenshaw be in a better position if he was Governor in a clearly Red stronghold? Yes. But, to be fair,  not being Governor now avoids the pandemic/COVID19 response question each Governor would have to face for a POTUS run (this issue eliminates Noem, De Santis, Cuomo, Walz, Whitmer and Kate Brown immediately and guts Newsom nearly beyond repair)

If you want to win POTUS as a Republican in 2024, you need Nikki Haley on the same ticket. She won't run with Trump, because that basically precludes her from running on her own without the Trump baggage later. I don't think Trump can win without her. When she surveys the field, she's not going to run with Carlson or McEnany nor Ted Cruz. She's not going to roll with Crenshaw because it's her first choice, but because it's the only choice by process of elimination.

As for Trump's family, Don Jr and Ivanka would need to run for a HOR seat or Senate seat first. They need a legacy outside their father first. Anyone here pushing that ( most lefties) otherwise is doing so to simply do more ORANGE MAN BAD. Same with the false narrative that Trump will pardon himself and same with the false narrative that he's a white supremacist inciting militia insurrection.

Four years is a LONG TIME in politics. Even 2 years is forever and everyone here should be versed from that from how the NFL operates. Four years is a long time for AOC and her faction ( now 8 votes in a current 222-212 split) to pick more more Progressive loyalists in the 2022 HOR cycle and to gut the Obama/Biden loyalists and the Pelosi/Newsom cabal. The DNC is horribly fractured and that won't get better in four years. The answer was Tulsi Gabbard. Had the DNC backed Gabbard this cycle, this would not even be a question, she's hold the ticket and the POTUS in 2024 as well. But the power brokers of the DNC couldn't control her so they canceled her. Like they cancelled Bernie Sanders in 2016. ( You think AOC and her voting block will ever forget that?) Funny that you never hear the woke cancel culture lefties here talk about Gabbard. Because it would be reflective of how poor a choice Biden was overall.

Crenshaw/Haley don't need to overwhelm, they just need to pick off whomever emerges from the DNC after all the internal infighting between the AOC/Obama&Biden/Pelosi gangs.
I agree that a Haley/Crenshaw ticket (in that order) would be quite formidable. 

18% isn't that high. There's certainly a chance that Trump will remain popular among Republicans. I don't know whether 18% should be surprising.
Most Trump fans are not fans of the current GOP outside of Trump himself.  That's why his family may appeal to his base more than the more traditional GOP candidate.

Most Trump fans are not fans of the current GOP outside of Trump himself.  That's why his family may appeal to his base more than the more traditional GOP candidate.

Donald Trump and his children only have a future politically ( why do you think Trump is fighting so hard now, he knows four years from now is an eternity in political terms) if he stays in the daily media cycle. Remember when everyone wanted to talk about Brett Favre all the time? Non stop, nothing but Favre and he ate it all up? He loved the "Will He Retire? Let's Beg Him To Stay" routine for years. Then went on a Favre is your QB1 Savior narrative for a while. Then what happened? He retired and people stopped caring immediately.

Trump needs to stay in the daily media cycle. Two ways this happens

1) TrumpTV. But since Comcast is basically in the pocket of the Obama/Biden camp and Fox has an Obama loyalist in it's top tier power structure, the odds of this happening and getting widespread reach is slim.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/776645-trump-2020-hq-the-great-place/?do=findComment&comment=23150971

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/776645-trump-2020-hq-the-great-place/?do=findComment&comment=23150290

2) The DOJ under Biden needs to try to put Trump in prison. The most likely paths are through campaign finance fraud via Michael Cohen and tax evasion. Putting Trump on trial puts him in the daily media cycle, and it opens up Bill Clinton and Barack Obama as clean targets for investigation. Once you make it clear Trump is free game for prison, that means the gloves are off for everyone. If the DNC pushes this and fails, then they've spring boarded Trump for 2024.

In order for Don Jr and Ivanka Trump to have a shot at POTUS, the DNC needs to push through a clean shot to prosecute Trump and that would take years. Since Kushner and Ivanka Trump turned the White House into their personal piggy bank, she has zero chance at higher office. Her ceiling is the HOR , maybe. More likely a Mayor in a mid sized place in a clear Red stronghold. Don Jr might have a chance down the road but he needs time in the HOR/Senate himself.

Trump's core base is not going to hold a grudge at the GOP for four years. When Michael Vick killed dogs, people here were talking like Vick would be hunted down and spit on forever. I said at that time, at some point, the media and public will move onto the next scandal. And they did.

The only person in the current core Trump administration with even a long shot is McEnany. She won't be blamed by many, she saw an opportunity and did the job, she's competent and fully prepared. She will appeal to the suburban women easily and much of Trump's core base will naturally gravitate to her cutback/sniper style of confrontation with the MSM.

Kayleigh McEnany has 100 times the chance of Ivanka Trump and McEnany is maybe the longest of longshots in 2024. That being said, if she actually got into a debate cycle with Biden or Harris or Newsom or AOC, she would carpet bomb them. McEnany would surgically tear anyone in front of her apart limb from limb. She's not a great public speaker and she's got a limited public skill set, but in a debate, she would bodybag anyone.  She's just rare.  She stays to her actual strengths and doesn't try to push harder or further than that. Her timing is impeccable. She's unflappable. She knows she's playing up to a sympathetic audience on TV instead of the rabid people in front of her. Her cut downs are violent, quick and overwhelming. She understands how to set up the person in front of her. Her questions frame her next attack and often the people in front of her are lulled into her trap. She was clearly prepared for the reality of life when white women typically hit the wall at the age of 30. In 12 years, she could be a contender. If Trump had weaponized her this entire time, this election might have ended differently. If you wan to give Trump credit for anything, it's McEnany, he found the one person who would drag him down in a street fight and then had the  good sense to give her a job first.

You mean in a poll where Trump's family is 50 percent of all options and Trump's wife has a better chance than Nikki Haley, Tom Cotton and Josh Hawley ( all completely omitted)?

The OP couldn't have even be bothered to list contenders aggregated by betting odds ( There are way way way too many Fan Duel/daily fantasy guys here on FBG to ignore that route)

Is your political tribalism that pronounced that you'll use a flawed poll to drive through ORANGE MAN BAD into ORANGE FAMILY BAD?
If the poll you are referencing is from this forum you know exactly what that’s worth relative to the real world. 

The public caught onto Trump’s act after 4 years. Don Jr is a weak copy. Ivanka I would pick if Trump family were the only choices.

Four more years is a long time. Some one outside of this family will rise up. 

If the poll you are referencing is from this forum you know exactly what that’s worth relative to the real world. 
Everything in this forum is set up to make Trump look bad. Questions, polls and everything else is crafted where there is only one outcome: Make Trump and conservatives look bad.

There are no innocents in here and people really wanting to know about the other side. It's all smoke and mirrors to give the appearance of wanting to understand. They don't. Just look in the healing and moving forward thread.

Everything in this forum is set up to make Trump look bad. Questions, polls and everything else is crafted where there is only one outcome: Make Trump and conservatives look bad.

There are no innocents in here and people really wanting to know about the other side. It's all smoke and mirrors to give the appearance of wanting to understand. They don't. Just look in the healing and moving forward thread.
Who will be the GOP candidate is set up to make Trump look bad?

I thought we had made some progress in that thread.

He doesn’t need the forum to look bad.  Does that all in his own.

Why is that?
Eric has done a lot of good for children with cancer. A lot. It wasn’t until his dad got involved in his charity that things got screwed up. It’s really unfortunate as I think Eric is a good person (I know someone who has worked very closely with him on charitable efforts).  Don Jr., on the other hand, seems to have very few redeeming qualities, in my opinion. 

Eric has done a lot of good for children with cancer. A lot. It wasn’t until his dad got involved in his charity that things got screwed up. It’s really unfortunate as I think Eric is a good person (I know someone who has worked very closely with him on charitable efforts).  Don Jr., on the other hand, seems to have very few redeeming qualities, in my opinion. 
I have only seen Eric in interviews where he is having to shill for his dad. These have been brutal and he lacks the Trump political schtick, he was trying to use the same lines just fell flat. I’d think that would be necessary with the name Trump moving forward politically. 

Glad to hear he has done some good charity work, good on him for that. 

What doesnt?  I dont see him as one wanting to heal.  He seems to say as much
Wanting to understand. Speaking honestly rather than using smoke and mirrors to give the appearance of wanting to understand. I think @BladeRunner speaks forthrightly and I know I do, which is why I thought we had a productive exchange in that thread. That’s all I was saying. 

I have only seen Eric in interviews where he is having to shill for his dad. These have been brutal and he lacks the Trump political schtick, he was trying to use the same lines just fell flat. I’d think that would be necessary with the name Trump moving forward politically. 

Glad to hear he has done some good charity work, good on him for that. 
Lacking the Trump political schtick is yet another reason for me to vote for him over Don Jr.  

Wanting to understand. Speaking honestly rather than using smoke and mirrors to give the appearance of wanting to understand. I think @BladeRunner speaks forthrightly and I know I do, which is why I thought we had a productive exchange in that thread. That’s all I was saying. 
I think there are times  of good exchanges...sure.  I disagree with the rest and that goes a way back

Lacking the Trump political schtick is yet another reason for me to vote for him over Don Jr.  
I’d agree there for sure.

The poll was who would get the nom though.

Him getting the nom has to be some crazy long odds. Like Knicks winning NBA championship type odds. Last on this list for sure, well besides Melania. 

I’d agree there for sure.

The poll was who would get the nom though.

Him getting the nom has to be some crazy long odds. Like Knicks winning NBA championship type odds. Last on this list for sure, well besides Melania. 
Well, of course the odds are long. I was merely stating my personal preference for Eric over Don Jr. and you asked me why. I acknowledge that it was an irrelevant observation on my part. 

Yep, it’s never been a political forum as much as it is a forum for the Left to excessively vent about Trump. You have staff members taking hard position on one side and they also moderate the forum...we just need to know our role. 😂

Appreciate your input buddy, good to see another prospective that isn’t here to safely vent. 

Yep, it’s never been a political forum as much as it is a forum for the Left to excessively vent about Trump. You have staff members taking hard position on one side and they also moderate the forum...we just need to know our role. 😂

Appreciate your input buddy, good to see another prospective that isn’t here to safely vent. 
My hope is that at some point after January 20 you guys get past this nonsense and start discussing actual issues again. 

My hope is that at some point after January 20 you guys get past this nonsense and start discussing actual issues again. 
Please compare any non Liberals behavior to your own and others around 2016 and then you can thank us for handling it much better. 

Please compare any non Liberals behavior to your own and others around 2016 and then you can thank us for handling it much better. 
We have...IMO...this claim that the non liberals have just acted all great since then and the liberals have all been awful is complete bogus assertion.  Unless you forget the post after post after post calling liberals snowflakes the people posting videos and talking about the tasty salty liberal tears.  And some who still talk about watching old videos from election night because of the reaction..

Nobody is saying liberals are all innocent in this either...but the overall victim mentality that is being played by Trump supporters to excuse bad behavior now and going forward will never lead to anything good.  And ignores their own behavior the last 4 years.

If someone is reaching out in good faith trying to have a discussion...why react just negatively to it?  (and again, liberals are not all innocent in this...including me).  We all need to be better.  that is the point.

On election night of 2016, I congratulated President Trump, emphasized that he was my President, and stated that I would support him on any actions that I agreed with, and not support him on any actions I disagreed with. And I wished him well. 
I kept that promise throughout the last 4 years. In this forum I have always defended Trump and supported him whenever I agreed with him (which, unfortunately, was rare.) i started a thread congratulating him for the economy, and another one just a few weeks ago noting his positive achievements. 
So yes I certainly hope we can expect the same from you in regard to President elect Biden. But I’m not seeing it so far. 

I know nothing of his political positions and I'm assuming I would be opposed to alot of them, but what I wouldn't give for someone like Larry Hogan to get the nomination. He just always comes across as a decent likable guy.

On election night of 2016, I congratulated President Trump, emphasized that he was my President, and stated that I would support him on any actions that I agreed with, and not support him on any actions I disagreed with. And I wished him well. 
I kept that promise throughout the last 4 years. In this forum I have always defended Trump and supported him whenever I agreed with him (which, unfortunately, was rare.) i started a thread congratulating him for the economy, and another one just a few weeks ago noting his positive achievements. 
So yes I certainly hope we can expect the same from you in regard to President elect Biden. But I’m not seeing it so far. 
That’s a very interesting way to frame your behavior the last 4 years, to put it nicely. 😂

This x1000.

There's a reason businesses all over the country boarded up for election night. And it wasn't because they were afraid of the reaction from the right.
He said in 2016...were there riots on election night?  Did businesses need to be boarded up?

This notion that the right is all innocent does not appear to have basis in facts.

That’s a very interesting way to frame your behavior the last 4 years, to put it nicely. 😂
It seems pretty much spot on about his behavior.

Criticism of Trump has been warranted because of his words and actions.  That isn't trolling it isn't being unfair...

I know nothing of his political positions and I'm assuming I would be opposed to alot of them, but what I wouldn't give for someone like Larry Hogan to get the nomination. He just always comes across as a decent likable guy.
My Father is a life-long Dem who lives in Maryland. He loves Hogan and has said that's one Republican he would vote for. Hogan's been making the media rounds lately.

From Fox News:

A tweet by Ivanka Trump is raising eyebrows in the political world as it may hint that President Trump's daughter and adviser may have national aspirations of her own.

The younger Trump took to Twitter on Monday to write that she loves Iowa, using an exclamation point for extra emphasis. Her tweet quickly garnered over 10,000 likes.

I thought the comparison was 2016 v this year.
It seemed he was talking about liberals behavior in 2016 and trying to compare to right wing behavior now. 

Anyway...its not that compelling to continue the same...well you all acted bad so whatever line of thinking.  it gets us nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread