What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Elijah Moore, CLE (2 Viewers)

I guess in theory that could be an "if everything broke right" maximum upside. Hard to imagine but if I tried to build a mental case for it and dream big I'd think back to that 6 game stretch his rookie season where he averaged 8.5 targets and 5.6 receptions a game, which would pro-rate to 144/96 in a 17 game season. That was mainly with Mike White and Flacco while he was a rookie so in year three with a likely much better QB it's not out of realm of possibility. Nothing I would expect, but again you are asking for upside and not projections.

I feel comfortable projecting him as the #2 receiver on the team, would not surprise me in the least if he led the team in receptions. I do think he's a 70 catch guy, that's more of a projection, not upside.

If you are projecting 70 then certainly 90 is a plausible ceiling right?
That's almost a 30% increase so no small gap. Think you'd need things like an Amari injury, trailing a lot, not seeing so much bad weather late in the year like last year. Not implausible though if we are talking an everything breaks right max upside.

Are we assuming he's already leapfrogged DPJ for targets? DPJ looked pretty solid last year and could still be a factor.
Opinions will vary but you can put me down as feeling very safe making that assumption. Different kind of WR's playing different kind of roles. Cooper and a lot of big bodied WR's along with Njoku make up most of the weapons. Moore's the different guy from the rest of the group and I believe his ability to see preferential matchups out of the slot and uncover quickly will lead to him seeing a lot more targets.

Are we assuming he's already leapfrogged DPJ for targets? DPJ looked pretty solid last year and could still be a factor.
IMO* no. It could happen, but I wouldn't assume so, yet. My best guess is that they will start the season getting equal opportunities, in a three-way share of targets including Tillman. Cooper will remain #1. Eventually, we will see a Watson favorite emerge, but there isn't enough info to say who, just yet. I have a hunch, but it's really no more than that.

* for entertainment purposes only

The Athletic's Zac Jackson writes, "It's clear the Browns want to get him [Elijah Moore] the ball on short passes and let him create."

After two days of observing OTAs, Jackson noted the Browns' efforts to get Moore involved all over the field. In addition to lining up as a traditional receiver, Moore has reportedly lined up in the backfield, running jet motions and RPOs. Offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt praised Moore for his versatility, noting he's "a complete receiver that can play both inside and out." The Browns acquired Moore in exchange for a 2023 second-round pick last March after he wore out his welcome with the Jets. A highly productive rookie season (43-538-5) that was cut short by injury led to high expectations for Moore in 2022, but those were quickly dashed once the season started. Moore will face competition for targets in the form of Amari Cooper and David Njoku, but it sounds like the team's WR2 role is up for grabs, which could prove valuable in fantasy.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 1, 2023, 12:43 PM ET

Interesting tidbit to file away for future reference whenever a 'smallish' WR flashes at this time of the year.
Jes' sharin'.

Small note could be a big sign toward a career year for Grant Delpit
In the NFL, minicamps and most OTAs are setup for the offense to look good and the defense to just start to get their footing. Without the ability to be physical, defenses are at a huge disadvantage in these types of settings.

That is why, after one day of Cleveland Browns minicamp, the media are raving about what they saw from QB Deshaun Watson and a number of the talented pass catchers on the team. For those who have seen minicamp up close and personal for the last few decades, Watson’s performance was still something different.

The Browns defense won’t really have a chance to show how good they are until training camp and preseason. Like it or not, physicality is minimized throughout the NFL until facing off with players from opposing teams...

Interesting tidbit to file away for future reference whenever a 'smallish' WR flashes at this time of the year.
Jes' sharin'.

Small note could be a big sign toward a career year for Grant Delpit
In the NFL, minicamps and most OTAs are setup for the offense to look good and the defense to just start to get their footing. Without the ability to be physical, defenses are at a huge disadvantage in these types of settings.

That is why, after one day of Cleveland Browns minicamp, the media are raving about what they saw from QB Deshaun Watson and a number of the talented pass catchers on the team. For those who have seen minicamp up close and personal for the last few decades, Watson’s performance was still something different.

The Browns defense won’t really have a chance to show how good they are until training camp and preseason. Like it or not, physicality is minimized throughout the NFL until facing off with players from opposing teams...
Everyone complains about coach speak andthis time of year you do have to look at news differently but I don't think it's that complicated. Best shape of his life is a long running joke. Little guy looking unstoppable is just as cliche.

That doesn't mean you can't learn from it though. You're looking for the dog that didn't bark. If you see a little guy on a new team and he's not standing out, that's bad. Tank dell gets hype... who knows. The opposite is just expected.

If you see a big rb on a new team and they're talking about his moves or unexpected quickness for a guy his size, that's good. If you're not hearing about him in June, it doesn't tell us anything.

The coaching stuff is the same way. We're going to run more? Not meaningful. Everyone says that. Elijah is running from every position? That's a lot more meaningful. It probably means a high floor for snaps just by virtue of him not having to come off the field as often. It is good that they're dedicating coaching time to him because they intend to use him. And it means they can get favorable looks for him more often. That doesn't necessarily translate to fantasy wr1, but it gives you a range from, say, Curtis Samuel to peak Percy Harvin.

The coaching stuff is the same way. We're going to run more? Not meaningful. Everyone says that. Elijah is running from every position? That's a lot more meaningful. It probably means a high floor for snaps just by virtue of him not having to come off the field as often.
Eh, I have a different take since Stefanski uses this time for installs which means nothing in terms of usage during the regular season for 'what appears' to be gimmicky plays.
I DO NOT expect to see Moore lined up in the backfield more than once or twice this season, if this ever gets called.
I don't read anything into this other than doldrum beat writer syndrome where they are grasping at anything to fill a column at this time.

The Athletic's Zac Jackson writes Elijah Moore "is an easy pick as an early breakout candidate based on the Browns’ spring work."

Moore was, per Jackson, "the most targeted player throughout the five open spring practices and caught just about everything thrown his way." If the Browns add DeAndre Hopkins, this goes up in the air, but Moore looks to be the best Browns receiver to target in fantasy after Amari Cooper and David Njoku, and has been lining up all over the formation.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 11, 2023 at 2:21 PM ET

I can't lie and say Ive watched him since college.... But everyone said that Cooper was washed too when the Browns signed him. Hopefully this one ends up the same way

I really think the Jets screwed this up with Moore. He is a big time talent and I could def see him breaking out this year.

If Rodgers works out for the Jets then this will be but a speed bump in what is already a 15 mph zone. Just a little nuisance and no big deal. Rodgers wanted who he wanted and got Lazard. The Jets used the Moore pick as part of the Rodgers compensation. That was the price the Jets were paying.

I personally have no problem with it. The Mecole Hardman signing? That's a different story.

Loved him coming out of college and was excited what he showed through a stretch of his rookie year. A lot of what I see points to him having the work ethic and desire to be great.* If Deshaun can bounce back I think Elijah could really be a great value this year.

Example*

I can't lie and say Ive watched him since college.... But everyone said that Cooper was washed too when the Browns signed him. Hopefully this one ends up the same way
Who said Cooper was washed? People have often considered him overrated and too boom/bust for fantasy but I don't remember people saying a 27-28 year old Cooper was washed.

Who said Cooper was washed? People have often considered him overrated and too boom/bust for fantasy but I don't remember people saying a 27-28 year old Cooper was washed.

I'm probably exaggerating a bit, but remembervividly ppl being very down on him for a while now... esp when he moved to CLE. maybe not washed, but seriously, seriously undervalued.

I will however never forget someone asking the forum if he should be started week 1 (the szn lamb was drafted). it was as if cooper had died. he put up monster #s that week iirc (i might be off w some details on that and too lazy to look)

An opportunity to buy Moore could present itself when the Browns sign a running back in the near future (assuming they do). It could be more difficult for a current Moore manager to envision that uptick in the Browns 2023 passing game with Watson to Moore right after the team brings in a veteran RB.

The talent is there. Jets were just a disaster at QB--and admittedly--Garrett Wilson is GREAT to his good.

If Watson returns to 75 or 80% of form, feel like he could be in for a lot of targets/yards.

His cost is much more palatable this season.

I hope Moore is as advertised, first and foremost as a Browns fan.
But as a firm Cooper believer, this only creates more open space for him, and the results could be devastating.

Not to mention, the more weapons for QB, the better.

I hope Moore is as advertised, first and foremost as a Browns fan.
But as a firm Cooper believer, this only creates more open space for him, and the results could be devastating.

Not to mention, the more weapons for QB, the better.
Watson-Chubb-Cooper-Moore and some other nice weapons in their offense, Browns should make things interesting in a very competitive AFC North where the Bengals have B2B AFCC games and a SB appearance, Baltimore and Pittsburgh figure to be in Playoff contention even if they don't quite get in. Not a bad team in the Division that i can find

I really think the Jets screwed this up with Moore. He is a big time talent and I could def see him breaking out this year.
Agree and I know Jets beat writer Connor Hughes has been saying the same stuff, he feels like Moore was just to good to give up that cheaply.

Agree and I know Jets beat writer Connor Hughes has been saying the same stuff, he feels like Moore was just to good to give up that cheaply.
I saw enough of him in his rookie year to feel he has big time talent. Last season was a mess with an awful QB situation and in the coaches dog house. I was shocked at how little the Jets got back for him with 2 yrs left on a cheap rookie deal.

I saw enough of him in his rookie year to feel he has big time talent. Last season was a mess with an awful QB situation and in the coaches dog house. I was shocked at how little the Jets got back for him with 2 yrs left on a cheap rookie deal.
I want to focus on what you said about the 2 years left on a rookie deal...seems like more teams would be looking to trade for players that don't get off to hot starts on the teams that drafted them. So many times we see players with a change of scenery improve. I would think the players themselves would like to reset/reboot after their 1st couple seasons don't pan out.
Sometimes a dud is a dud but Moore showed he had excellent skills coming out of college and even his Rookie year he flashed big play potential.
I would like to see him just become a reliable WR that can stay on the field this season. With Watson now as his QB, things should pick up for him.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters
"The X-Factor: (Elijah) Moore. He's arguably the most exciting new player to watch in training camp, and it's because it'll be interesting to see not only where his chemistry is with Watson but also all the different ways the Browns use him in the offense. If minicamp is any indication, he'll be used as an outside, slot and backfield player, giving the Browns tremendous flexibility to position wherever they believe he'll have the best shot of creating an explosive play." #Browns

Kevin Stefanski on WR Elijah Moore: "He practices hard. His practice tempo, how he is in walkthroughs, he takes it very seriously. Which is great. It's fun to be around a guy who really works at it. He's taken the bit on everything we have asked him to do."

"To have a player that can play outside and inside, I think, is very valuable."

Kevin Stefanski on WR Elijah Moore: "He practices hard. His practice tempo, how he is in walkthroughs, he takes it very seriously. Which is great. It's fun to be around a guy who really works at it. He's taken the bit on everything we have asked him to do."

"To have a player that can play outside and inside, I think, is very valuable."
His preparation and work ethic were rated very high coming out of college, was one of the reasons I thought he was drafted a few spots later than he should have been.
Chase-Slim Reaper and the Penguin pushed him down to a 2nd tier WR where most years he would have been even earlier off the board, my take anyways.

WR3-4/Flex on your Draft Day with potential to ball out into the Top 20 WRs in 2023
I wouldn't reach for him and I wouldn't ignore him either
I don't want him on every redraft team but I must have a stake in this guy and already do for 2023.

2nd chance, low expectations and a potential Top 10 QB that has proven he can find more than just 1 WR in his offenses, this has the makings of a good time n redraft leagues

WR3-4/Flex on your Draft Day with potential to ball out into the Top 20 WRs in 2023
I wouldn't reach for him and I wouldn't ignore him either
I don't want him on every redraft team but I must have a stake in this guy and already do for 2023.

2nd chance, low expectations and a potential Top 10 QB that has proven he can find more than just 1 WR in his offenses, this has the makings of a good time n redraft leagues

Agree with everything you’re saying about the player. Just grabbed him at 8.05 in my startup.

Another important thing to note is Cleveland is going to be playing at one of the fastest paces in one of the more wide open offenses in the league this year. Add it all up and I think your top 20 potential forecast is spot on.

"-With Cooper sidelined, Deshaun Watson threw multiple passes in the 11-on-11 period to Elijah Moore, whose smooth route-running and soft hands were on display even in individual and group periods. One of the more notable plays of the practice was when Moore took an end-around handoff from Watson.
-Rookie WR Cedric Tillman made an impressive catch on a pass that looked a bit off target in the passing period before team drills began. He re-adjusted to the ball by angling his body to the right after initially shuffling left and secured the catch."

Jets gonna be the Jets...

Couldn't agree more... my thought was that some organization have a very low tolerance for dissidence and maybe Moore was too much and needed to be the lesson.

my thought was that some organization have a very low tolerance for dissidence and maybe Moore was too much and needed to be the lesson.

He essentially quit on his team when they were on a win streak and technically in the playoffs. He wasn't happy because he wasn't getting the ball and asked for a trade and disparaged not only the QB but the OC. Now, he might have had good reason to do both, but if Aaron Rodgers is anything like he's advertised, this guy won't be missed in NY. He was the second-round compensation part of the deal.

A guy on the one of the XM NFL/FF channels was talking him up but did express concern that the Browns play a lot of 2 TE sets to facilitate the running game. This could limit the number of snaps for the slot receiver.

A guy on the one of the XM NFL/FF channels was talking him up but did express concern that the Browns play a lot of 2 TE sets to facilitate the running game. This could limit the number of snaps for the slot receiver.
I think the Browns view him as more then just a slot. His fairly productive first season with the Jets he only played about 17% in the slot. That did jump up to 38% last year.

I think the Browns view him as more then just a slot. His fairly productive first season with the Jets he only played about 17% in the slot. That did jump up to 38% last year.
Do you think it's also fair to say that perhaps the reason Cleveland has run so much 2TE stuff is because of a pre-Watson QB situation? They knew their strength was the running game and so forth, let their QB be a manager... but now with Watson all bets are off, no? WR corps and TE corps is probably better than ever. As it relates to Moore, I think his versatility (and age) make him a prime candidate to at least push for being the alpha between him and Cooper. Even if it's a 1A/1B situation in either direction, Moore is probably dramatically underpriced right now. But I think there is a good chance he starts taking over right away, and I'm fairly certain I have zero dynasty shares. Dang it.

Do you think it's also fair to say that perhaps the reason Cleveland has run so much 2TE stuff is because of a pre-Watson QB situation? They knew their strength was the running game and so forth, let their QB be a manager... but now with Watson all bets are off, no? WR corps and TE corps is probably better than ever. As it relates to Moore, I think his versatility (and age) make him a prime candidate to at least push for being the alpha between him and Cooper. Even if it's a 1A/1B situation in either direction, Moore is probably dramatically underpriced right now. But I think there is a good chance he starts taking over right away, and I'm fairly certain I have zero dynasty shares. Dang it.
I agree with every single thing you are saying.

And I only got Moore in our little league and there is a reason for that. I got this one guy who is in 5 of my other 8 dynasty leagues and he's the most all in guy I've ever seen in fantasy/dynasty. He took Moore in all 5 of those leagues, as often as high as pick 6-7 in some places.

I'm sure I've made over 20 trade offers to no avail since things went south for him last year.

I enjoyed the early cheap prices on him though this off-season. At one point he was my second most drafted player but I'm riding a streak of not being able to land him right now, he just keeps going up and up and I don't disagree with it.

Last edited:
my thought was that some organization have a very low tolerance for dissidence and maybe Moore was too much and needed to be the lesson.

He essentially quit on his team when they were on a win streak and technically in the playoffs. He wasn't happy because he wasn't getting the ball and asked for a trade and disparaged not only the QB but the OC.
I don't think "quit" is accurate. The rest is correct - he was unhappy, complained loudly, got benched. Not a wise choice on his part. However, he did not pull an Antonio Brown. By all accounts, Moore was running his routes and getting open often before getting himself benched.

Users who are viewing this thread