What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (1 Viewer)

Suspended Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Justin Blackmon pleaded no contest to one misdemeanor count of marijuana possession in Oklahoma's Edmond Municipal Court, according to Kyle Frederickson of NewsOK.com.

According to the NewsOK.com report, if Blackmon doesn't commit any crimes in the next six months, the charge will be reduced to a misdemeanor count of disorderly conduct.

While Blackmon wasn't available for comment, his attorney, Robert Gray, said, "I dont anticipate [blackmon] will have any problems. Hes going back to training and hopefully looks forward to reinstatement."

While technically Blackmon is one step closer to coming back to the Jaguars, he hasn't been officially reinstated yet and until then it's a moot point. But it is encouraging that Blackmon is taking the necessary steps to put his life, and potential NFL career, back together.

Before his suspension, Blackmon had 93 receptions for 1,280 yards and six touchdowns in 20 games played.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/11/20/7254971/jaguars-suspended-justin-blackmon-completes-voluntary-drug-rehab-program

I know that they're waiting to see of Yarno can come back, but Luke Butkus CANNOT return regardless. The line is an absolute embarrassment.

How bare was the cupboard? Jags have gotten solid contributions if not starts from 8 of their 9 2014 draft picks. (Plus you have UDFA Allen Hurns)

1 3 Blake Bortles QB Central Florida 2 39 Marqise Lee WR USC 2 61 Allen Robinson WR Penn State 3 93 Brandon Linder G Miami (FL) 4 114 Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma 5 144 Telvin Smith ILB Florida State 5 159 Chris Smith DE Arkansas 6 205 Luke Bowanko C Virginia 7 222 Storm Johnson RB Central Florida
Bare as it gets. Thanks Gene.

Curious- happy with the win, or would you have rather lost the game for draft position?
I'm tired of losing. I am not at all upset that we will draft a little bit later now.
This, Fans are sick of the losing. The players are sick of the losing. And with all of the rookies you don't want them to get used to losing.

Besides, they aren't drafting a QB, and trading back from 4 thru 6 is easier than trading back from the top slots.

ETA: ANd I wouldn't mind if the Texans came out flat in Week 17 from being eliminated and the Jags further hurt their draft status.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this season sucked. So unusual...

Here's where I see the franchise. I'll start with the defense.

DL:

- Marks' torn ACL hurts bad, as he's the glue of the defense. Hopefully he can return to form because the guy was a force.

- They did good by resigning Roy Miller. He and Marks complement each other well. I'm a little concerned that he's ended the last two years injured.

- Red Bryant: He's not in the position to rack up stats, but he played well.

- Chris Clemons is getting up there in age and it showed at times. He wasn't able to create pressure on a regular basis. It think that he should be considered a situational player at this time. Unfortunately, there isn't much there to rotate with.

- Andre Branch is a tease. He has his moments, but his inability to bend rears it's head often.

- Tyson Alaulu is a guy I would resign. He wasn't worth the #10 overall pick, but he will come cheap and offers good depth.

- Abry Jones is a good rotational body. I thought he flashed in a few games.

- Ryan Davis just gets to the QB. I mean a lot. I am still baffled as to why he isn't on the field more often.

- Chris Smith has shown some ability, but it don't know if he's more than just a guy.

LB:

- I hope they move on from Poz, but I get this feeling that they won't. He a one dimensional player now so more than ever. He's an absolute liability against the pass. It's no surprise that as soon as he went on IR, the defense improved, especially the intermediate to deep middle of the field.

- Telvin Smith is my new favorite player on this team. He's everywhere. And he gets there fast. If he puts on some more weight, watch out.

- JT Thomas played decently given how he was thrust into the lineup. I'd resign him, as he showed something near the end of the year.

- Geno Hayes filled his role well, but I don't think he's a guy they should look to be starting.

- LaRoy Reynolds doesn't excite me.

- The others can all go.

DB's:

- Aaron Colvin has a bright future. The fact that he was able to perform at the level he did despite tearing his ACL earlier in the year says a lot about the guy. He'll move over from nickel to LCB and you can pen him in the for years.

- Demetrius McCray was a huge surprise for me. I think he's going to only get better with experience.

- Jonathan Cyprien plays like a rookie. Which would be okay except for the fact he's not a rookie. He can hit. But he takes mind boggling angles and misses too many tackles. I think he will improve if he can get some legitimate help around him.

- Josh Evans is a 6th rounder and it shows. He just doesn't have the range that this scheme requires. Ideally, he should be a backup.

- I'd like to see Alan Ball resigned. He's been a money FA signing.

- Will Blackmon has been solid, as well.

- Dwayne Gratz went backwards this year. Not sure what's going on there.

- Jeremy Harris still intrigues me, but we haven't seen too much of him.

- Everyone else are not worth noting too much.

Defensive Needs:

- For FA, if JPP is available, I think that the Jags should jump into the ring. While his downturn in statistics are perplexing, I think that he can be a double didget sack guy. This would be my #1 preference. LB and FS need attention, but I'm not too sure what's out there TBH.

-For the 1st round of the draft, I have to think that at this point Leonard Williams is a prime target. He offers the type of flexibility that teams drool over. The other options (and I realize that a ton changes between now and the draft) I can see on the defensive side are Shane Ray and Randy Gregory. While this team produced a lot of sacks, it was not consistent enough to help the back end of the defense with any type of regularity. I think a LB and safety get drafted relatively early based on today's roster.

That thing we call an offense to come later...

Yeah, they need at least one LB, a free safety so Cyp can play in the box, and a LEO,

But, yes, Leonard Williams would be great in this defense especially if Marks isn't ready in Sept

Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell conducted his season-ending press conference at EverBank Field on Tuesday. Here are the highlights.

-Caldwell referred to suspended receiver's Justin Blackmon's return as a "luxury," a familiar refrain from last season. When challenged, Caldwell said there's no downside to keeping Blackmon on the roster. He said he hopes to get an update on Blackmon's status from the league prior to the draft.

-Caldwell voiced no motivation to re-sign receiver Cecil Shorts, going as far to suggest the young group of receivers needed a veteran more this season than they will in 2015.

-Caldwell praised quarterback Blake Bortles, saying he has heart. Said he played great in two-minute situations which is great since most games are settled then. Said game slowed down for Bortles as evidenced by fewer picks later in season.

-Caldwell said the offensive line has to be addressed this offseason. Doesn't think the running back position is a priority.

-Caldwell did say he is hopeful to re-sign defensive end Tyson Alualu.

-Caldwell said reports the Jaguars have roughly $60 million is cap space are close to accurate. He pointed to receiver and interior defensive line as potential strengths of the possible free agent market. Also said the Jaguars have until 2017 to meet the cap spending minimum.

-Caldwell said he'll leave staff changes up to coach Gus Bradley.

-Caldwell said the Jaguars should find out about the Senior Bowl later today and would love the chance to coach a team again.

-Caldwell said second-year receiver Ace Sanders hasn't become the punt returner they hoped.

-Caldwell said owner Shad Khan has been incredibly supportive and realized the youth movement would take time.

-Caldwell said rookie linebacker Telvin Smith will be a Pro Bowl caliber player in 2015 if he plays like he did in final five games of season.

-Caldwell said the draft class is comparable to last year's group in overall talent and will be heavy on receivers again. Said the Jaguars should be able to draft a guy without having him start right away, unlike last two years.

-Caldwell estimated there would be 15 new players on Week 1 roster.

-Caldwell said he has confidence in defensive tackles Ziggy Hood and Abry Jones if Sen'Derrick Marks and Roy Miller are out or limited to start season. Says it doesn't make defensive tackle a higher priority.
http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400642/hays-carlyon/2014-12-30/highlights-jaguars-general-manager-dave-caldwells-season

Mostly agree, but I disagree about RB

Just curious what the cost for cabana/pool seats are?

Like if I was in St Augustine in Sept and wanted to go with a few people, can I do that or do I need to buy out an entire box?

Like if I was in St Augustine in Sept and wanted to go with a few people, can I do that or do I need to buy out an entire box?
This was this years costs:http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/3/6/5477386/2014-jacksonville-jaguars-ticket-prices-pool-cabana
Starting at $150 a ticket, that's a pretty good deal IMO.
Considering that includes food and drink.

This was this years costs:http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/3/6/5477386/2014-jacksonville-jaguars-ticket-prices-pool-cabana
FWIW I think the cabanas sold out in less than a week or something like that.

But it's also why they're thinking of converting more club seats, which they struggle to sell given the top dollar, to all-included tables and adding an outdoor club at midfield.

But it's also why they're thinking of converting more club seats, which they struggle to sell given the top dollar, to all-included tables and adding an outdoor club at midfield.
Place is going to be an awesome party scene within a few seasons...

Place is going to be an awesome party scene within a few seasons...
We certainly hope so.

Now for the offense. I started this earlier and my browser closed unexpectedly. So I had to start over. Fitting.

OL: to say this was bad, would be and understatement.

- Luke Joeckel has been a disappointment. No two ways about it. The plan for him is to get in the weight room and gain some much needed strength and weight. He'll be given next year to prove he belongs. I'm not so sure what's going to happen here.

- Zane Beadles is meh. Not much to say here.

- Luke Bowanko is another one that needs to get in the weight room. He played well at times but was overpowered on several occasions. He needs to spend all offseason acting as Luke Joeckel's spotter, and vice versa.

- Brandon Linder, what a nice surprise this was. He'll be starting for years to come.

- Austin Pazstor is a free agent. I think he should be re-signed, but only to act as a back up. That's all he is.

- Everyone else can go.

QB:

- BB needs to improve on several things if he's ever to make it in this league. To watch his regression throughout the year was tough to take. He needs to be as busy as he's ever been this off-season. The play calling didn't help, as it seemed like they continually ignored the middle of the field. Of course, this is all well known.

RB:

- Toby Gerhart kind of got a bad rap this year. He was hurt I. Game one and it took a long time for him to get back to health. But, if he was that hurt he should have not played. It only hurt him and the team. He gets at least another year here.

- Denard Robinson: I can't say that I saw that coming. At all. Durability worries me though. And his pass protection is terrible.

- Todman is a guy who just seems to do just enough. I don't think he's on the roster next year.

- Fullback, blah, blah, whatever.

TE:

- Marcedes doesn't offer much anymore. Stone hands and is now not the blocker he once was. I see the team moving on.

- Clay Harbor is a decent move option, but I have no idea what his future holds.

WR:

- Allen Robinson impressed the hell out of me. It's sad he got hurt because I think it hurt BB's development. He was his security blanket. Hands of glue.

- Allen Hurns was awesome considering he wasn't drafted. I see more consistency for him.

- I don't know what to think about Marquise Lee. At times he seems like he is going to go on this giant breakout spree. And then these ugly drops come.

- Please cut Ace Sanders. Please.

FA/Draft:

Obviously, OL needs to be a priority. But the only position that I can really see them moving on is RT. At least for the beginning of the season. TE needs to be a focus. I'd love to see Charles Clay here. Another WR will be needed.

I'm really glad Fisch was let go. All those bunch formations, bubble screens, and general ignoring of the middle of the field were head scratching. The downside is that all the young guys will need to learn a new offense. Not ideal, but it was necessary. George Yarno needs to come back, as the OL needs some serious coaching.

Caldwell: Approach to Blackmon remains same

John Oehser

Senior writer

jaguars.com

Jaguars GM David Caldwell hopes to hear from league on status of suspended WR Justin Blackmon before April 30 NFL Draft

JACKSONVILLE The Jaguars stance on Justin Blackmon remains the same.

The team supports the veteran wide receiver, and wants the best for him, but General Manager David Caldwell said the team continues to consider his potential return a luxury.

We hope for him, we pray for him and our thoughts are with him, Caldwell said Tuesday at his annual season-ending press conference at EverBank Field. We hope he comes back because hes talented. Hes also a good person thats fighting a tough battle.

We have to treat it as a luxury. If he comes back, thats great, but we cant count on it.

Blackmon, the No. 5 overall selection in the 2012 NFL Draft, caught 93 passes for 1,280 yards and six touchdowns in 20 games in 2012-2013, playing 16 games with 14 starts as a rookie in 2012. He played just four games the following season after being suspended for the first four games.

He then was suspended indefinitely by the NFL for violation of the leagues substance-abuse policy, a suspension that remains in place.

Caldwell said on Tuesday he hopes to hear from the NFL regarding Blackmons status before the April 30 NFL Draft.

Were hearing some good things (about Blackmons off-field progress), Caldwell said. We havent been in contact with him, but from some of his people who have relayed some messages, hes trying to dedicate himself to being healthier and coming back so well see.

Caldwell said the Jaguars like their current wide receiver corps, which includes three players Allen Hurns, Allen Robinson and Marqise Lee who started a combined 21 games as rookies this past season.

We feel good about the three guys we have, Caldwell said. If he comes back, thats even better.

Caldwell also said Blackmon would be a $1.7 million cap hit if he plays next season, and that because he is not currently on the roster and not counting against the cap, bringing Blackmon back is not a risk for the organization.

Theres no downside to it, Caldwell said, adding, Were trying to stand by him, and trying to get him to where he can do it and be that type of person that we strive to be. Not everybodys perfect. We said that from the beginning.

Were not going to have 53 angelic players. Were going to have some guys with some issues. If theyre willing to do the tight thing to show remorse, were not going to be the ones to judge them for that.

i am so happy to see one of the most stroried and pround franchises in the history of the nfl finally turning the corner and with a good up and coming qb and getting rid hopefully of old man river where are my pant shorts at wr maybe they can really have a good draft and keep it going that would be great to see anyhow florida brohans you keep on keepin on and take it to the bank bromigos

15 years ago today was the 62-7 playoff win over the dolphins. Last game for Marino and Jimmy Johnson.

Was with my late FIL, up in the corner near where Fred Taylor's long run in the first quarter started. I bought four tickets and scalped two to Dolphins fans. Made enough to see the game for free. And we had two empty seats next to us after the first quarter was over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C82M9uwX81M

Fred was in his prime then.

15 years ago today was the 62-7 playoff win over the dolphins. Last game for Marino and Jimmy Johnson.

Was with my late FIL, up in the corner near where Fred Taylor's long run in the first quarter started. I bought four tickets and scalped two to Dolphins fans. Made enough to see the game for free. And we had two empty seats next to us after the first quarter was over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C82M9uwX81M

Fred was in his prime then.
I was stationed in Kansas City for this game. Of course it wasn't on TV in that area but I remember listening to it on the radio. I couldn't believe how bad they were beating Miami. I felt bad for Marino.

Jags were so fun to watch back in the late 90's. I'll never forget their playoff run when they went to Buffalo and Denver and beat them both! Long gone are those glory days. I miss Coughlin.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are in the midst of a search for a new offensive coordinator and the staff is headed to Mobile, AL for the Senior Bowl, but a source tells Big Cat Country that the team is working to try to hire Adam Gase, Doug Marrone and Greg Olson to the staff.

There is no official deal on the table, but a source familiar with the situation indicates that the team would like to hire Gase as the offensive coordinator, Marrone as the offensive line coach and Olson as the quarterbacks coach or in some other offensive capacity.

All three have been in recently to interview with the Jaguars over the past week and all three are in Jacksonville currently. Gase seems to be a hot name on the coach trail currently and the Baltimore Ravens would like to interview him to fill their recently vacated offensive coordinator position, so if the Jaguars want Gase they'll need to make sure to lock him up soon.

We will update the story as it develops.
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/1/19/7852713/adam-gase-jaguars-doug-marrone-greg-olson-offensive-staff

Marrone hired as OL coach. This means that George Yarno isn't coming back due to his battle with cancer. That saddens me.

Strange that an OL coach was hired before the OC.

LaCanfora, who has poor track record with Jags info, reports Greg Olson hired for OC/QB coach.

Local guy Ryan O'Halloran says OC not hired yet but could be tonight.

Ryan OHalloran says Olson will be in Jacksonville, but don't know role. He said Gus may have reassessed situation after Gase was passed over.

Huge news if true

Chris Warren ‏@ChrisWarrenFL 2m2 minutes ago

In the next 60 days Shad Khan and the @Jaguars will be announcing their plans for the shipyards. -Jerry Mallott @JAXPartnership
For those who aren't familiar with Jacksonville, the Shipyards are a huge swath of riverfront property near the stadium. The City had a developer lined up to build a huge upscale development there a decade ago but then the bottom dropped out of the market.

More background here.

http://jacksonville.com/breaking-news/2014-10-29/story/jax-business-journal-shad-khan-moves-closer-revealing-his-proposal

ETA

For an idea of the size and location of the parcel of land, here is a dated map from the failed development mentioned above

http://waterviewhome.net/communities/500x361xshipydmap3315.jpg.pagespeed.ic.RKD73n5MEt.jpg

JaxBill said:
Huge news if true

Chris Warren ‏@ChrisWarrenFL 2m2 minutes ago

In the next 60 days Shad Khan and the @Jaguars will be announcing their plans for the shipyards. -Jerry Mallott @JAXPartnership
For those who aren't familiar with Jacksonville, the Shipyards are a huge swath of riverfront property near the stadium. The City had a developer lined up to build a huge upscale development there a decade ago but then the bottom dropped out of the market.

More background here.

http://jacksonville.com/breaking-news/2014-10-29/story/jax-business-journal-shad-khan-moves-closer-revealing-his-proposal

ETA

For an idea of the size and location of the parcel of land, here is a dated map from the failed development mentioned above

http://waterviewhome.net/communities/500x361xshipydmap3315.jpg.pagespeed.ic.RKD73n5MEt.jpg
He's going to own half of Jax soon.

Users who are viewing this thread