What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the GOP candidate in 2024? (2 Viewers)

What say ye?

• Total voters
I don’t think this one will, especially if Kamala is running.  The R’s have to reinvent themselves ASAP.  

hows this - it’s the D’s to lose.  For the sake of the country, we can’t afford for them to lose.
You know these "for the sake of the country" or the recently popularized "for the soul of America" platitudes don't really have any meaning or value in the long run.

They especially have significantly less value when the right is going to go with a traditional establishment career politician next election. Just doesn't have that same "oomph" without Trump in the picture. It's not a tagline the Dems can use anymore with any effectiveness.

I don't know why you'd think that GB
It is my belief that without Trump, Trumpism dies.

I don't think there are any personalities out there that are big enough to maintain that coalition of voters.  So, I think we will see the GOP swing back to a more conservative base, and those voters will shun any remnants of Trumpism.

Hawley has gone all-in on Trumpism, and I don't think he is a skilled enough politician to extricate himself from that position.

I don't think there are any personalities out there that are big enough to maintain that coalition of voters.  So, I think we will see the GOP swing back to a more conservative base, and those voters will shun any remnants of Trumpism.

Hawley has gone all-in on Trumpism, and I don't think he is a skilled enough politician to extricate himself from that position.
You have more faith in people than I do....it's my belief that if Trump tells them to vote for him, they will.  We won't be "without Trump" until he dies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why you'd think that GB

I don't think that Trumpism will die without Trump, but I do think that people like Hawley and Crenshaw and the various Trump children are all overlooking the one key ingredient which brings it all together: the charisma. None of those people have the fine-tuned ability to not just "say what people want to hear", but to confidently state random hogwash and convince people that it's exactly what they believe.

Trump possesses a unique combination of charisma, narcissism and sociopathy that this country hasn't seen in decades. I don't see anyone on the horizon who can step in and replicate his style.

I think that Ted Cruz could come close, if only because he's smarter than the others and he's highly experienced in the art of politspeak. But I suspect that Ted would ultimately fall short, if only because he gives off a slight hint of cynicism in everything that he says. He's kind of like a political version of Rush Limbaugh, where you know that a good portion of the stuff he says is shtick, but you enjoy it anyway because it riles up the libs.

it's my belief that if Trump tells them to vote for him, they will.  We won't be "without Trump" until he dies.
Exactly why Trump or another Trump makes the most sense.  He has already thrown a bunch of  outside supporters under the bus,  up to & including his VP.   If it's not him it will be someone he has the most control over. 

I don't think that Trumpism will die without Trump, but I do think that people like Hawley and Crenshaw and the various Trump children are all overlooking the one key ingredient which brings it all together: the charisma. None of those people have the fine-tuned ability to not just "say what people want to hear", but to confidently state random hogwash and convince people that it's exactly what they believe.

Trump possesses a unique combination of charisma, narcissism and sociopathy that this country hasn't seen in decades. I don't see anyone on the horizon who can step in and replicate his style.

I think that Ted Cruz could come close, if only because he's smarter than the others and he's highly experienced in the art of politspeak. But I suspect that Ted would ultimately fall short, if only because he gives off a slight hint of cynicism in everything that he says. He's kind of like a political version of Rush Limbaugh, where you know that a good portion of the stuff he says is shtick, but you enjoy it anyway because it riles up the libs.
Yeah, I hear this "charisma" thing a lot and I've never understood it.  I think people using it are mistaking his genuine belief in all the conspiracy theories as "charisma".  From an actual "charisma" standpoint, it's not much better than a wet mop IMO.  ANYONE who actually believes these things is going to be able to connect on that level.

Yeah, I hear this "charisma" thing a lot and I've never understood it.  I think people using it are mistaking his genuine belief in all the conspiracy theories as "charisma".  From an actual "charisma" standpoint, it's not much better than a wet mop IMO.  ANYONE who actually believes these things is going to be able to connect on that level.
It's difficult to define Trump's charisma with a single sentence. But it's more than just believing in conspiracies. It's the way he can believe in conspiracies without actually saying that he believes in them; it's the way he can get away with saying "many people are saying" and "believe me" and "in about two weeks" and none of his supporters question it; it's the way that he can embody various traits that his supporters had historically claimed to condemn -- adultery, lying, irreligiousness, criticizing the military and the police -- and then just wave it off like a jedi knight. He's a master of it, because he's been doing it for his entire adult life. It takes years of practice to be that slick. That's why I think the younger guys (Hawley, Crenshaw, Don Jr, etc.) would crash and burn. Replacing the king takes more than posting memes to own the libs.

I guess Justin Amash doesn't count as a Republican, but if he did, my quick Republican rankings would be:

1. Justin Amash
2. Mitt Romney
3. Ben Sasse
4. John Kasich
5. Jeff Flake
He's got absolutely zero shot but I'm still a fan of Jon Huntsman.

I could be interested in Evan McMullin as well, though he's perhaps a tad conservative on some social issues for my liking.  Amash still tops my list.

Hawley is cooked as he's essentially fringe at this point. His calculated move fully backfired. No way the GOP backs him as they have more viable candidates with more thought out moves (Sasse, Cotton, Crenshaw).

The 2024 candidate is dead in the water unless he or she fully energizes the base. If someone, say...Nikki Haley runs an apology tour, she's dead in the water. If Sasse does, the same thing will happen to him. What I fear will happen is that the next GOP candidate takes the formula of Trumpism and tries to use that coalition to win the electoral college. In as much as one does that, it further cements nationalism as its animating principle rather than conservatism or classical liberal thought, and it will result in even more divisive politics than we have now.

The 2024 candidate is dead in the water unless he or she fully energizes the base. If someone, say...Nikki Haley runs an apology tour, she's dead in the water. If Sasse does, the same thing will happen to him. What I fear will happen is that the next GOP candidate takes the formula of Trumpism and tries to use that coalition to win the electoral college. In as much as one does that, it further cements nationalism as its animating principle rather than conservatism or classical liberal thought, and it will result in even more divisive politics than we have now.
I think it is going to be fascinating to watch.  The election cycle is actually a lot closer than people think, as it will really start up in earnest in a little over 2 years from now.

I think the 2022 mid-terms will have a large say in what type of GOP candidate emerges.  Whatever the issues are that carry the day for GOP members in 2022 will probably shape the beginning of the election cycle.  So, in that sense, we are about 18 months away from seeing what issues matter to GOP voters.

A Sasse type could have success.  The risk is that the Trump base just won't turn out, but there's no way the democrats are going to get the kind of energy that they had this time without a villain.  I think a more centrist Republican candidate makes that aspect of the election a wash.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
I think the party needs to do some serious soul searching.  The GOP is fractured in a big way.  

Up until the 6th, the Republican party had stood together as a unit minus the stray vote here and there that wasn't enough to move the needle.  On the 6th, McConnel and Graham tried to do the right thing.  Cruz and Hawley dug their heels in and remained loyal to Trump.  And...well, you can't be fractured on the POTUS's act of sedition.  They need to do the right thing, show they care about America, and unanimously vote to impeach/prevent him from running for office again.

Right now I can't imagine any Republican winning in 2024.  I think either Donald or one of the Trump off-spring try to run in 2024 and interfere with the GOP.  Are we still the Republican party of old?  Or are we the party of Trump?  Are we going to put up with them to tap into that base?  I hope not.  We need to reject all things Trump.  If we have to pander to the Trump base of White Supremacy, we don't need to win an election.  

I think the party needs to do some serious soul searching.  The GOP is fractured in a big way.  

Up until the 6th, the Republican party had stood together as a unit minus the stray vote here and there that wasn't enough to move the needle.  On the 6th, McConnel and Graham tried to do the right thing.  Cruz and Hawley dug their heels in and remained loyal to Trump.  And...well, you can't be fractured on the POTUS's act of sedition.  They need to do the right thing, show they care about America, and unanimously vote to impeach/prevent him from running for office again.

Right now I can't imagine any Republican winning in 2024.  I think either Donald or one of the Trump off-spring try to run in 2024 and interfere with the GOP.  Are we still the Republican party of old?  Or are we the party of Trump?  Are we going to put up with them to tap into that base?  I hope not.  We need to reject all things Trump.  If we have to pander to the Trump base of White Supremacy, we don't need to win an election.  
I agree.  2024 is a placeholder for a real challenge in 2028.  Of course, things could really change over the next 4 years, but I imagine Biden will have a pretty dull term.

• Smile
I agree.  2024 is a placeholder for a real challenge in 2028.  Of course, things could really change over the next 4 years, but I imagine Biden will have a pretty dull term.
Well, and maybe it's the election we burn fighting off the Trumps.  If Donald is able to run, he'll run.  If he's not, one of the off-spring will.  If for no other reason to "punish" the GOP for not standing up for their wanna-be-tyrant father.  GOP will probably spend a lot of resources bashing/fighting the Trump segment off.  After only 4 years, those embers will probably still be burning hot enough that the crazies are going to throw support behind Don Jr. or whoever.  

Hopefully in 2028...

Well, and maybe it's the election we burn fighting off the Trumps.  If Donald is able to run, he'll run.  If he's not, one of the off-spring will.  If for no other reason to "punish" the GOP for not standing up for their wanna-be-tyrant father.  GOP will probably spend a lot of resources bashing/fighting the Trump segment off.  After only 4 years, those embers will probably still be burning hot enough that the crazies are going to throw support behind Don Jr. or whoever.  

Hopefully in 2028...
:rolleyes: Lot of wishful (obsessive) thinking in this post...

Can I vote you president?

I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you not anticipate a Trump in the 2024 GOP Primary?
Personally, I would anticipate a Trump if the primary started today.  3 years is a long time.  Who knows what can happen...

Hopefully in 2028...
A Trump will not be the GOP candidate ever again. 

• Thanks
So I’ve been thinking about this some more. Things have obviously changed after Wednesday. 

The person with the best chance will be someone who wasn’t a part of any of Trump’s controversies, who avoided criticizing Trump, yet is not viewed as part of the Trump movement. 
The closest to that is Nikki Haley. 

That I believe.  

I still worry they'll run in 2024.  I still worry that when they don't get through the primary, they run as an independent and split the GOP vote.
A Trump family member (including Donald) on the ballot as an Independent may be the greatest thing to ever happen to the Democratic Party.  That’s why I think there’s a small chance one of them could get the nomination - they aren’t going away.

I think that Trump will be a potential millstone around the party's neck for the next 4-6 years..... but Romney, Christie, Haley (to a degree), Kasich, Amash........ there are 5 candidaes (IMO) who don't have the stink of Donald Trump on them, who have national exposure and who could win 232 EC votes.

I'm not one who thinks that a Biden/Harris ticket generates momentum and enthusiasm on their own.  To that, without Trump as a galvanizer of Indys, moderate and liberal Repblicans and ALL Democrats....... do the D's replicate GA and AZ in 2024?

• Smile
For the record, Mitt Romney will be 77 years old in 2024. I think he had his shot. And his mistake was running an unwinnable race against Obama in 2012 instead of biding his time for 2016. He was a good candidate.

Also, John Kasich isn't getting the nomination from the Republican party. That ship sailed the minute he spoke at the Democratic national convention over the summer. He's a good guy, but I don't think he's a good candidate.

I think that Trump will be a potential millstone around the party's neck for the next 4-6 years..... but Romney, Christie, Haley (to a degree), Kasich, Amash........ there are 5 candidaes (IMO) who don't have the stink of Donald Trump on them, who have national exposure and who could win 232 EC votes.

I'm not one who thinks that a Biden/Harris ticket generates momentum and enthusiasm on their own.  To that, without Trump as a galvanizer of Indys, moderate and liberal Repblicans and ALL Democrats....... do the D's replicate GA and AZ in 2024?
Totally agree.  2024 might still be up in the air, depending on Biden's abilities and who might run if he does not.  But I expect the Rs to be a very split party for a while, as you state.

• Smile
May seem silly given the way the press has covered his Covid policy, but Ron DeSantis may be someone to watch eventually.

He's 42.
Yale undergrad.
Harvard law school.
Bronze star lieutenant commander in the Navy.
5 years as a U.S. congressman.
Sitting governor in a key Republican state.

May seem silly given the way the press has covered his Covid policy, but Ron DeSantis may be someone to watch eventually.

He's 42.
Yale undergrad.
Harvard law school.
I have no doubt he'll be on the Republican debate stage in 2027/2028.  He's up again in 22....he'll go 4 more as Governor and then jump right into POTUS candidate mode.

Also, John Kasich isn't getting the nomination from the Republican party. That ship sailed the minute he spoke at the Democratic national convention over the summer. He's a good guy, but I don't think he's a good candidate.
IMHO the Republican Party will be desperate. They need a uniter. Not the way Trump unites though. 

IMHO the Republican Party will be desperate. They need a uniter. Not the way Trump unites though. 
Hard to argue with that sentiment in Jan 2021. As we've learned in the last 10 or 11 months, a lot can change in a short period of time. Landscape may be completely different for Rs by the time 2024 rolls around.

• Thanks

He's 42.
Yale undergrad.
Harvard law school.
I always think of the 'wax poetically' foot in the mouth when I think of DeSantis.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/06/30/chris-cuomo-ron-desantis-florida-coronavirus-cpt-vpx.cnn

I have no doubt he'll be on the Republican debate stage in 2027/2028.  He's up again in 22....he'll go 4 more as Governor and then jump right into POTUS candidate mode.
DeSantis is pretty much covered in the miasma of Trump, though.  RNC going to want to try that tact all over again, even if they wait until 2028?

Not saying they won't, but it'd probably be a mistake.

I always think of the 'wax poetically' foot in the mouth when I think of DeSantis.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/06/30/chris-cuomo-ron-desantis-florida-coronavirus-cpt-vpx.cnn
Yeah, that's obviously regrettable.

Counterpoint: Joe Biden has a highlight reel of foot-in-mouth moments that is decades long, but he seems to have successfully buried that narrative.

ETA: Chris Cuomo is like nails on a chalkboard. I'm triggered by his mere presence in that video. 😆

• Thanks
DeSantis is pretty much covered in the miasma of Trump, though.  RNC going to want to try that tact all over again, even if they wait until 2028?

Not saying they won't, but it'd probably be a mistake.
True enough.  I think though that a working Governor who keeps his head down for the next few years can fumugate enough of that Trumpism that it's not a rallying cry to his opponents yet he's still "Trump enough" to court some of the people who liked Trump.

It will be interesting to see if The Right can come up with a word that describes a "Trump like" candidate without mentioning Trump. "Maverick" has already been taken.  "Nationalist" is an unattractive label?

• Smile
If you heard Trump’s comments as he left the White House, it is clear he intends to run.
I’d say it’s clear he intends to talk about running. I’m not sure that he thinks he can win, and he surely doesn’t want to lose again. 
It's clear that he intends to run and collect $$ from supporters, keep his name in the news, then not actually run.

Users who are viewing this thread