Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Memphis Foundry

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight?

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Still very good.

Yep. The V5 was incredible. The mosaic..eh. and I like some mosaic. This citra is awesome too. So underrated which means more for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ditka311 said:

Yep. The V5 was incredible. The mosaic..eh. and I like some mosaic. This citra is awesome too. So underrated which means more for me. 

Is there still a high demand for it? is it tough to get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to Garagiste Meadery today in Tampa...their stuff is on Schramms level. The Goober Vitis, a PB&J meade, is incredible. It beat out hundreds of beers at Huna Day in March to take home best beer award, and they also won for best brewery. I'm not sure how a mead wins best beer or meadery wins best brewery, but man this stuff is amazing.

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Went to Garagiste Meadery today in Tampa...their stuff is on Schramms level. The Goober Vitis, a PB&J meade, is incredible. It beat out hundreds of beers at Huna Day in March to take home best beer award, and they also won for best brewery. I'm not sure how a mead wins best beer or meadery wins best brewery, but man this stuff is amazing.

I have heard good things. Mead is ridiculous market. I bought this Lord Jim bottle for $50 a year ago and I am selling it for $300 tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beer question. And apologies if this is honda or well covered elsewhere. But what are some good resources, websites, books, boards etc you guys like for keeping up with beer?

I'm looking for something more basic level vs super knowledgeable. I'd call myself a casual beer fan. I love the entrepreneurial / business angle of it and I love the "little guy" thing where a small brewery can make a demonstrably better product and people will appreciate it and support it. 

For me, I see beer as very similar to coffee in people saw a demand for "something better" and are providing it. I see it similar to coffee as well as the community component is vital. I'll often look around a pub and it feels like a coffee shop with beer. That may not be what everyone wants but for me, that's exactly the vibe I like. 

Anyways, looking to you guys for some resources there. Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Went to Garagiste Meadery today in Tampa...their stuff is on Schramms level. The Goober Vitis, a PB&J meade, is incredible. It beat out hundreds of beers at Huna Day in March to take home best beer award, and they also won for best brewery. I'm not sure how a mead wins best beer or meadery wins best brewery, but man this stuff is amazing.

How does it compare to Cigar City Cider & Mead? And damn wish I knew about this when we were down there, but Al will be down there with her sister so she may stop by there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Beer question. And apologies if this is honda or well covered elsewhere. But what are some good resources, websites, books, boards etc you guys like for keeping up with beer?

I'm looking for something more basic level vs super knowledgeable. I'd call myself a casual beer fan. I love the entrepreneurial / business angle of it and I love the "little guy" thing where a small brewery can make a demonstrably better product and people will appreciate it and support it. 

For me, I see beer as very similar to coffee in people saw a demand for "something better" and are providing it. I see it similar to coffee as well as the community component is vital. I'll often look around a pub and it feels like a coffee shop with beer. That may not be what everyone wants but for me, that's exactly the vibe I like. 

Anyways, looking to you guys for some resources there. Thanks.

Beeradvocate forum, FB and untappd are some that I have used, but IMO it's better to talk to the brewers or staff. They are always happy to talk and give recommendations, we were in Tampa and went to Angry Chair. I asked the guys about the styles I like and where to go, and they gave me a ton of places to try.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Beeradvocate forum, FB and untappd are some that I have used, but IMO it's better to talk to the brewers or staff. They are always happy to talk and give recommendations, we were in Tampa and went to Angry Chair. I asked the guys about the styles I like and where to go, and they gave me a ton of places to try.

Thanks Hawks. What do you mean by FB? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks Hawks. What do you mean by FB? 

Facebook, all sorts of groups out there for styles and/or breweries as well as trading groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Facebook, all sorts of groups out there for styles and/or breweries as well as trading groups.

Cool. That's what I'm looking for. Have you found specific groups you like?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joe Bryant said:

Cool. That's what I'm looking for. Have you found specific groups you like?

 

It's based on the styles you like, so search for those kind of groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Untapped is great for looking up beers to see what people think, find beer, breweries in the area (especially cool if you are traveling), can set beers you want to try and it will alert you if a local place has it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Guys. The local groups are helpful. I mean it's cool to know what Treehouse or Trillium are doing, but I've only been able to have about a dozen of their beers over the years from friends nice enough to send them to me. Living in Tennessee, I'm not getting there. But what I'm looking for is more local info and things like hearing about my now favorite local brewery, Bearded Iris in Nasvhille that I can have access too. Looking to find more of that type info and I've found a few FB groups that I think will help there. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another beer question - how much do you guys think the fact that so many of these beers are hyper limited in distribution raises the level of interest in them? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Another beer question - how much do you guys think the fact that so many of these beers are hyper limited in distribution raises the level of interest in them? 

 

It plays a role for sure but the beer has to be good or it won't get the hype. The old school beers that were limited but generated massive hype (KBS, Bourbon County, Pliny) did so because they were exceptionally good beers and when people spent all the time and money to track them down, they weren't disappointed. There are plenty of breweries doing limited release stuff that just doesn't get much attention because the beer isn't great. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

It plays a role for sure but the beer has to be good or it won't get the hype. The old school beers that were limited but generated massive hype (KBS, Bourbon County, Pliny) did so because they were exceptionally good beers and when people spent all the time and money to track them down, they weren't disappointed. There are plenty of breweries doing limited release stuff that just doesn't get much attention because the beer isn't great. 

Agreed. Quality has to live up to the hype. Where I think this feels similar is with real BBQ. There's an element of "the hunt" for a great BBQ place. They're often a little out of the way and don't have a great website (if they have one at all) and it's fun to be "in the know" with them. Beer feels a bit similar. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For example, the hazy NE IPAs are the hot thing right now. Over the last year, dozens of Michigan breweries have jumped on board trying to capture the magic of Treehouse or Trillium. So NE IPAs have to be fresh and are almost always small releases, but many of the versions here in Michigan have just sat on store shelves because they aren't that good. A small brewery called Old Nation put out their version about 6-8 months ago and because it was amazing, it began selling so fast that stores had to put single can limits on it and Old Nation had a single case limit at the brewery. They have since ramped up production but it was the quality of the beer that drove the scarcity. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Agreed. Quality has to live up to the hype. Where I think this feels similar is with real BBQ. There's an element of "the hunt" for a great BBQ place. They're often a little out of the way and don't have a great website (if they have one at all) and it's fun to be "in the know" with them. Beer feels a bit similar. 

Yeah the hunt can be fun and the idea of getting to try a beer that very people know of yet alone have tried is cool. I remember how excited I was when I went to Russian River Brewing and when I first got to try CBS. It's important the beers live up to the hype though. If you get a beer that was a bit difficult to track dow/comes with high expectations and it isn't that great, it can cause you to write off that brewery completely. There are a few breweries that I just never buy from because I've been disappointed by 1 beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ilov80s said:

Yeah the hunt can be fun and the idea of getting to try a beer that very people know of yet alone have tried is cool. I remember how excited I was when I went to Russian River Brewing and when I first got to try CBS. It's important the beers live up to the hype though. If you get a beer that was a bit difficult to track dow/comes with high expectations and it isn't that great, it can cause you to write off that brewery completely. There are a few breweries that I just never buy from because I've been disappointed by 1 beer.

And that to me is one of the biggest obstacles for the brewery business. Expectations are incredibly high. AND there are a zillion companies doing the same thing. I know it's super romantic and the margins can be good to own a brewery but I have to think there's a bubble bursting coming. I just don't know how tons of these new ones will survive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Is there still a high demand for it? is it tough to get?

Once word got out on V5 it sold out quickly. The others since, which have only been mosaic and citra, sat awhile. And that is fine with me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

 

37 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Agreed. Quality has to live up to the hype. Where I think this feels similar is with real BBQ. There's an element of "the hunt" for a great BBQ place. They're often a little out of the way and don't have a great website (if they have one at all) and it's fun to be "in the know" with them. Beer feels a bit similar. 

Yeah the hunt can be fun and the idea of getting to try a beer that very people know of yet alone have tried is cool. I remember how excited I was when I went to Russian River Brewing and when I first got to try CBS. It's important the beers live up to the hype though. If you get a beer that was a bit difficult to track dow/comes with high expectations and it isn't that great, it can cause you to write off that brewery completely. There are a few breweries that I just never buy from because I've been disappointed by 1 beer.

 

You will, at least for me, get to a point where you get tired of chasing. Either it's what 80s said or you can get something close enough without the need to expend all the energy to find it. That's where I'm at now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

You will, at least for me, get to a point where you get tired of chasing. Either it's what 80s said or you can get something close enough without the need to expend all the energy to find it. That's where I'm at now.

I can see that. At some point it becomes kind of ridiculous. At least for a regular occurrence. I'll wait in line for 4 hours at Franklin BBQ in Austin. But not regularly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

Beer question. And apologies if this is honda or well covered elsewhere. But what are some good resources, websites, books, boards etc you guys like for keeping up with beer?

I'm looking for something more basic level vs super knowledgeable. I'd call myself a casual beer fan. I love the entrepreneurial / business angle of it and I love the "little guy" thing where a small brewery can make a demonstrably better product and people will appreciate it and support it. 

For me, I see beer as very similar to coffee in people saw a demand for "something better" and are providing it. I see it similar to coffee as well as the community component is vital. I'll often look around a pub and it feels like a coffee shop with beer. That may not be what everyone wants but for me, that's exactly the vibe I like. 

Anyways, looking to you guys for some resources there. Thanks.

This thread is a great resource. Cletius is a great home brewer, there's a bar owner in here, beer traders, deck pissers, beer geek vets and newbs, I'm a part owner of a brewery and work at a different brewery. AUA (ask us anything).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sebowski said:

This thread is a great resource. Cletius is a great home brewer, there's a bar owner in here, beer traders, deck pissers, beer geek vets and newbs, I'm a part owner of a brewery and work at a different brewery. AUA (ask us anything).

That's awesome Sebowski. Thanks. I'm not sure how much you share publicly but I'd love to hear as much as you can tell me about the brewery business. It's something I've kicked around a little bit. Thanks a ton.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hawks64 said:

How does it compare to Cigar City Cider & Mead? And damn wish I knew about this when we were down there, but Al will be down there with her sister so she may stop by there!

I haven't had any CC mead...buy I've had Schramms which is considered some of the best...and this stuff was just as good, and the Goober is easily the best mead I've tried. At $6/3oz pour and $12/6oz pour it's pricey but at 14% abv you really only want it in small doses. Lol. Garagiste just opened a week ago, so you wouldnt have been able to go when you were here...the only bottles so far have been lottery for a chance to buy, and to club members only, they haven't done a public release yet. I Imagine when they do the bottles will be very limited and around $30/375ml and they'll trade at more than twice the price out of the gate, maybe even more. Like 80s said, secondary market on high end meads can get pretty ridiculous.

Edited by Wingnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

I haven't had any CC mead...buy I've had Schramms which is considered some of the best...and this stuff was just as good, and the Goober is easily the best mead I've tried. At $6/3oz pour and $12/6oz pour it's pricey but at 14% abv you really only want it in small doses. Lol. Garagiste just opened a week ago, so you wouldnt have been able to go when you were here...the only bottles so far have been lottery for a chance to buy, and to club members only, they haven't done a public release yet. I Imagine when they do the bottles will be very limited and around $30/375ml and they'll trade at more than twice the price out of the gate, maybe even more. Like 80s said, secondary market on high end meads can get pretty ridiculous.

That doesn't surprise me after talking with the mgr of the CC Cider & Mead, it was a really conversation and had no idea they were classified as a winery. Totally different regs than a brewery. Booze in this country is so bizarre lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sebowski said:

This thread is a great resource. Cletius is a great home brewer, there's a bar owner in here, beer traders, deck pissers, beer geek vets and newbs, I'm a part owner of a brewery and work at a different brewery. AUA (ask us anything).

ABI shareholder?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost Nation Mosaic, Sip of Sunshine, Founder's Doom and Smaltz's RIPA on Rye.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IrishTwinkie said:

Lost Nation Mosaic, Sip of Sunshine, Founder's Doom and Smaltz's RIPA on Rye.  

That Sip of Sunshine made it's way to NYC recently.  A nice change of pace from all the NEIPAs flooding the market, but holy hell, those kegs are ridiculously expensive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gadabout said:

That Sip of Sunshine made it's way to NYC recently.  A nice change of pace from all the NEIPAs flooding the market, but holy hell, those kegs are ridiculously expensive!

I'm shocked that a keg made it that far. Lawson's is serious about their distribution. They've only recently opened it into Central MA, and that is only because the distributor was willing to abide by the conditions to keep it cold/fresh. I've had the pleasure/pain of touring VT recently for various reasons. SIP is a an outstanding beer and one the brewers take very seriously. They seem to be really striving to make sure everyone who tries it, tries at its best. 

ETA: The only place I've ever had it on tap is in Burlington Vt. I can score a four pack here and there closer to home now, but its a tough get.

Edited by IrishTwinkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IrishTwinkie said:

I'm shocked that a keg made it that far. Lawson's is serious about their distribution. They've only recently opened it into Central MA, and that is only because the distributor was willing to abide by the conditions to keep it cold/fresh. I've had the pleasure/pain of touring VT recently for various reasons. SIP is a an outstanding beer and one the brewers take very seriously. They seem to be really striving to make sure everyone who tries it, tries at its best. 

ETA: The only place I've ever had it on tap is in Burlington Vt. I can score a four pack here and there closer to home now, but its a tough get.

They must've loosened up on that because it's all over NY right now.  Kegs and cans.  A lot of the breweries up that way are extremely anal about where their beer goes.  Hill Farmstead is notorious for that, basically saying that you can't fill growlers with their beer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. I know they found a second brewery to produce. Two Roads? Its down in CT anyway. It was a big deal when they finally started a wider distribution near me. I didn't realize they took another step and widened the distribution even further. Good for them. 

 

Hill Farmstead is another story. I've made the pilgrimage, a few times now, but I can't help feeling that some of the love isn't due to the pure scarcity Yes, they make very good beer. Not every beer they make is worthy of top 10 in the world accolades. Some of the BeerAdvocate reviews are just silly. Yes, they make great beers. Other breweries are making great beer too. Sometimes the hype is overwhelming. [I am just thanking my lucky stars that I can visit the likes of TreeHouse, Trillium, HF and a host of others doing awesome things with a minimum of effort ] But I do commend HF on their glass policy. They'll accept anyone's glass, within a few wide, well published, exceptions. This is NOT generally the case near me. Most brewers will only accept their own glass. Some of this is by law, but some is also due to selfish attitudes by the brewery too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I also heard Lawson's is doing some contract brewing to get their stuff to other markets. I had it in DC a few months ago. Good stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

That's awesome Sebowski. Thanks. I'm not sure how much you share publicly but I'd love to hear as much as you can tell me about the brewery business. It's something I've kicked around a little bit. Thanks a ton.

 

I'm pretty open. If you want to get real specific about number and such, PM me. But feel free to ask most anything in here. 

If you are thinking of opening a brewery my words (at this time a night after drinking a normal amount) would be:

Do it for the community. You need to bring value to your base. If you do that they will love you. 

Don't do it for the money. I'm in San Diego. I hear about the One Billion Dollar Sale of Ballast Point all the time, It brings all the wrong people to the conversation. That was a... hmmmm. let's call it...a billion-to-one shot. We have 132 breweries in San Diego last I checked. Only one sold for a billion and it took them 20 years to do it. Do not get into this for the money. Do it because you want to. And that "want to" should include giving value to your base. And if you can bring that something to your people, then dammit, you better go ahead and do it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sebowski said:

I'm pretty open. If you want to get real specific about number and such, PM me. But feel free to ask most anything in here. 

If you are thinking of opening a brewery my words (at this time a night after drinking a normal amount) would be:

Do it for the community. You need to bring value to your base. If you do that they will love you. 

Don't do it for the money. I'm in San Diego. I hear about the One Billion Dollar Sale of Ballast Point all the time, It brings all the wrong people to the conversation. That was a... hmmmm. let's call it...a billion-to-one shot. We have 132 breweries in San Diego last I checked. Only one sold for a billion and it took them 20 years to do it. Do not get into this for the money. Do it because you want to. And that "want to" should include giving value to your base. And if you can bring that something to your people, then dammit, you better go ahead and do it. 

With you. I agree totally on the reasons why. I may hit you up sometime with questions. Thanks.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a Rhinegeist Truth IPA in Newport, KY across the river from Cincinnati before going to a concert with son. It's Pinegrove at Southgate House Revival  It's a super old rad church converted over to a concert venue. Stoked. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2017 at 1:15 PM, Sebowski said:

This thread is a great resource. Cletius is a great home brewer, there's a bar owner in here, beer traders, deck pissers, beer geek vets and newbs, I'm a part owner of a brewery and work at a different brewery. AUA (ask us anything).

You're too kind Sebowski - I only wish I could make great beer, but at least its highly drinkable most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

 No. The other guy that owns a brewery in Cambria.

Kidding. Thanks.  I see that the name has changed.

You ever been there?

Never been. I had the link handy since I pm'd with the owner a couple years ago about brewing. Curious about the name change ...

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Never been. I had the link handy since I pm'd with the owner a couple years ago about brewing. Curious about the name change ...

 

 

I bet the Cambria winery gave them a cease and desist. Can't share names with the wine world. Ballast Point made a deal with Yellowtail to drop the name Yellowtail Pale Ale. I heard they made a good chunk of money from that. But if the winery has all their legal docs in order and have been in business a long time they can just send a C&D. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys. Going to be in the Hilton Head, South Carolina area this summer. Any notable beers I might try to seek out? Especially in the NE Style IPA class? I read one of the brewers at https://www.hhbrewingco.com/beer  had worked at Trillium and was trying to steer some beers that direction. 

Other beers to try I might find in stores? How about worth traveling to a brewery for?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Christo said:

So this just opened in my local grocery store. :banned:

Apex Predator for $5 looks like a steal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trullium Wild Sinister Kid 750ml (American wild ale w/sour cherries and aged in Oak barrels). Bottled 10-22-15.

Tart cherries dominate, Oak takes a backseat... nice Funk, wine tannins...nice 11% abv sipper.

I'm gonna regret this tomorrow after several 7.5% IPAs

 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.