What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1 (1 Viewer)

Julian Casablancas' new band The Voidz has a record out today and it sounds pretty good on first listen.  It's all over the map stylistically which is mostly a good thing unless you insist that albums should still be albums.

New McCafferty LP out today - Yarn.  I totally super loved their EP from last year, but was a bit worried after the split they released earlier this year.... but this is the McCafferty I love.  ONly the 2nd album this year that I cranked all the way through on first listen.
AND.... they called it quit as a band this weekend. That's what I get for crushing on an emo band.

Love that Failure is making music again. I thought their Heart is a Monster album was really good. They have a new EP out now with 3 more being released over the year.

wilked said:
Jonathan Wilson's new one, Rare Birds - excellent

This track really stands our, RIYL War On Drugs  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBKnvy8cr80

Video is amazing as well, probably better if you are not at war with drugs
I didn't love Rare Birds as much as Wilson's last two records.  He seems like he's made a conscious decision to move away from the Laurel Canyon atmospherics of Gentle Spirit and Fanfare toward more familiar pop song structures.  That's not a bad thing in itself but it does focus more attention on his limitations as a singer and lyricist.

It's ironic that he's probably best known for his work as a producer but this record cries out (to me) for a stronger producer's hand.  I think Wilson would benefit from a voice in the booth asking the artist if he really needs that fourth verse or downtempo bridge.  His meandering 6-8 minute tracks sometimes lose my interest.

ETA:  Dang, I come off way too negative.  It's a pretty good record.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2018 song list  **ee 2018 songs i liked

This list won't help my female artists ratio :bag:
Followed.

So far my songs list is heavily female slanted.

• Courtney Barnett - Need a Little Time
  • U.S. Girls - Pearly Gates
  • Superorganism - Everybody Wants to be Famous
  • Middle Kids - Mistake
  • The Beaches - T-Shirt
  • Cigarettes After Sex - Apocalypse
  • Let's Eat Grandma - Falling Into Me
  • Screaming Females - Step Outside
  • The Regrettes - Come Through
  • Wye Oak - The Louder I call, the faster it runs
  • Chvrches - My Enemy
  • etc...

Followed.

So far my songs list is heavily female slanted.

• Courtney Barnett - Need a Little Time
  • U.S. Girls - Pearly Gates
  • Superorganism - Everybody Wants to be Famous
  • Middle Kids - Mistake
  • The Beaches - T-Shirt
  • Cigarettes After Sex - Apocalypse
  • Let's Eat Grandma - Falling Into Me
  • Screaming Females - Step Outside
  • The Regrettes - Come Through
  • Wye Oak - The Louder I call, the faster it runs
  • Chvrches - My Enemy
  • etc...
Smirnoff would be proud. 

New Kasey Musgraves album today - I have loved most of her previous releases, so I'll look forward to streaming this one later today.  She played the song "Butterfly" (or "Butterflies", not sure I caught the title right) this morning on the "Today Show" earlier today and if you like your country with a subtle, reflined dash of pedal steel, then this song is a great start.

And she still is easy on the eyes (Review and pic from NPR)
Have had this running in the background at the office the last couple of days. Not always a huge country fan, but I really am enjoying this. And yes, still easy on the eyes.

Have had this running in the background at the office the last couple of days. Not always a huge country fan, but I really am enjoying this. And yes, still easy on the eyes.
Speaking of awful lyrics...made it halfway through track one.  The final straw was "bar down the street don't close for an hour / we should take our time and look at the flowers"

Speaking of awful lyrics...made it halfway through track one.  The final straw was "bar down the street don't close for an hour / we should take our time and look at the flowers"
It's no Lennon/McCartney, I'll give you that. But in an office where I have to balance gangster rap, nu metal and what my employees call my "old sad ******* music", this album somehow is working for everyone. Maybe we are just all tuning it out.

Tomorrow = Wye Oak, Sloan, The Wonder Years, Hop Along, Young Galaxy, Mastersystem (Frightened Rabbit spinoff). I may stay up til midnight tonight just to get a head start.

here are my favorite albums of 2018 so far.  They are pretty much in release order, but Jeff Rosenstock is absolutely my AoTY so far (and I am fairly certain it is going to be the end-to-end winner for me)

Jeff Rosenstock

The Go! Team

Franz Fernidad

Car Seat Headrest

Born Ruffians

Nathaniel Ratcliff

McCafferty

Jack White

Mt. Joy

Czarface

New Amen Dunes is supposed to be good. I know I’ve listened to him before but I don’t recall being super into it. 
It's... okay-ish?

Look, I'm not saying that songs need to always follow a traditional structure, but I'm not even sure if this guy is aware that there's the option of including a chorus.

It's... okay-ish?

Look, I'm not saying that songs need to always follow a traditional structure, but I'm not even sure if this guy is aware that there's the option of including a chorus.
I was pretty bored. Didn’t even get all the way through it 

I've got 4 that I've worn out and like the best so far. Still working others in. Some releases coming that I'm looking forward to like Parquet Courts and Malkmus

Hookworms: Microshift
No Age: Snares Like A Haircut
Ty Segall: Freedoms Goblin
Salad Boys: This Is Glue

Been in a retro mood lately and listening to Royal Trux; Cats and Dogs, Double Dagger: More and The Poster Children: Daisychain Reaction. All still sound really good to me.

I also listened to an album by a UK band called the Black Foxxes that I thought was pretty good but a little too heart on one’s sleeve for me to get a lot of repeat listens. 

New Wonder Years was a bit disappointing. It's still good but not as many big moments as their last couple albums.
I was REALLY excited about this one, which I think is unfairly affecting my opinion of it... similar to my opinion of Japandroids last year.  It was probably a great album, but I just had such high hopes, that I wound up dismissing it a bit.

Spotify Release Friday options that look interesting:

Naked Giants
My 18 year old daughter and I are both big Car Seat Headrest fans.  They're playing Salt Lake in July, but at a 21+ venue.  They played an all-ages venue in Boise last night so we drove the 5 hours to see them.  Naked Giants is opening for them on this tour.  Neither of us had ever heard them so we played this album on the drive up.  Nothing groundbreaking but I liked it.  I had a hunch they'd be even better live. 

Holy hell---great performance. 

Highly recommend catching both of them on this tour. And both their albums. 

My 18 year old daughter and I are both big Car Seat Headrest fans.  They're playing Salt Lake in July, but at a 21+ venue.  They played an all-ages venue in Boise last night so we drove the 5 hours to see them.  Naked Giants is opening for them on this tour.  Neither of us had ever heard them so we played this album on the drive up.  Nothing groundbreaking but I liked it.  I had a hunch they'd be even better live. 

Holy hell---great performance. 

Highly recommend catching both of them on this tour. And both their albums. 
Did you like Car Seat Headrest live? I really like them (Teens of Denial was my #1 of 2016) but found them a little too casual/slackery live. I know it's kind of their/his shtick but wondering if it was because we saw them at a (very) poorly attended festival and they just weren't feeling it.

Did you like Car Seat Headrest live? I really like them (Teens of Denial was my #1 of 2016) but found them a little too casual/slackery live. I know it's kind of their/his shtick but wondering if it was because we saw them at a (very) poorly attended festival and they just weren't feeling it.
As for which album I will be listening to 10 years from now, probably CSH. But, honestly, Naked Giants blew them off the stage.  Will Toledo is super talented but needs an attitude adjustment in his live setting. 

Has there ever been a "remix" of a current rock song on Spotify Discover Weekly that actually improved the song?

The Ad-Rock/Spoon remix, the Weird Al/Portugal the Man remix and the Tourist/Wolf Alice remix this week are all brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread