What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2018 Dallas Cowboys*** (5 Viewers)

Not if Dak is running for his life all season.

Whos playing LG?

Who is OL depth for when Smith is hurt again? Or God forbid something happens to anyone else on the line
Our starting OL is the least of my worries.

We do need better OL depth, but we're better off than the vast majority of teams on the OL & we at least have the tools to make it elite (a lot of draft picks).

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowboysfan8 said:
Feel better now? :)

I believe they're looking to move La'el Collins back to LG, a move which I endorse. Fleming to RT.

Really, really nice value signings with Hurns & Fleming. 

It's all about acquiring talent & fitting it in the salary cap over the long haul. I think we're moving in the right direction, especially with these last 2 signings & all our draft picks.

Marcus Martin is another nice signing, especially for the expected salary (haven't heard yet).

We're now getting enough depth & versatility on the OL where we can cover for an injury.

I like it. Still wouldn't be surprised to see us go OL in the draft with one of our 10 picks. 

Other than a WR & maybe another OL, I'm hoping we hit D hard & heavy with our 10 picks.

We have the potential to come away loaded for the future on D with our current talent & some nice picks in the draft.

Looking forward to see what we do.

Rumors persist Dez will be cut. Doing it post June 1 would help our salary cap situation the most.

I'm all for it if we get a top WR in the draft (or trade for one). Like I've said before, the NFL is all about the balance between acquiring talent & fitting it in the cap. Dez simply isn't worth his salary. I'd also be ok with a pay cut, but might prefer Dez to be cut outright depending on how we replace him.

BTW, it seems as if Stephen Jones is becoming more of the ultimate decision maker which is to our benefit, IMO. JJ is a great owner, but he's too soft. Stephen is more of a hardass & that's what we need.

Hurns is an outstanding signing, especially for the money.. Upgrading WR will make a huge difference to Dak & our offense.

I'm hoping we cut or trade Williams & Beasley, who I feel are pure dead weight. Either way, still need to draft a WR no later than day 2.
I would be shocked if the pokes didn't pull the trigger on a WR in the first three rounds. Not a lot of elite talent in this group, but reasonable depth. Thinking the cowboys go defense in rounds 1 and 2; WR in round 3.

Hurns is an outstanding signing, especially for the money.. Upgrading WR will make a huge difference to Dak & our offense.

I'm hoping we cut or trade Williams & Beasley, who I feel are pure dead weight. Either way, still need to draft a WR no later than day 2.
:lmao: :lmao: .   ahh, thanks for the bolded above, made my night

Huh? Hurns is a really nice signing, especially when you consider we need to upgrade our WR corps & at a reasonable salary to boot.
i have to look at the details, but he is hardly someone to get that excited about or rely on. if i remember correctly he had a good year in '15, and every year since then has been filled with injuries. I'll give you he is an upgrade over T. Williams, but might have been better off not letting go of Brice Butler. You guys would know better then i would, and yeah they don't spend a ton of money on a long-term contract, but i am not sure he is really any boost to the offense. 

i have to look at the details, but he is hardly someone to get that excited about or rely on. if i remember correctly he had a good year in '15, and every year since then has been filled with injuries. I'll give you he is an upgrade over T. Williams, but might have been better off not letting go of Brice Butler. You guys would know better then i would, and yeah they don't spend a ton of money on a long-term contract, but i am not sure he is really any boost to the offense. 
I think you're underestimating Hurns. He's a LOT better than WIlliams & is a nice #2 WR. Given his contract, Hurns is an outstanding addition to our WR corps.

I would've liked to have kept Butler. He should've been starting over Williams last year, but Butler threw everybody under the bus this offseason & I don't believe he's welcome any longer. Not a big loss, though.

modogg said:
:lmao: :lmao: .   ahh, thanks for the bolded above, made my night
6M per year is a good deal for Hurns. He might not be spectacular, but he'll be solid.

Cowboys still need a legit WR1 (other than Dez), however.

I don't think anyone over her is thumping their chest and claiming he is s stud.  What he is - is a good route runner, he is a hand catcher (My biggest knock on TWILL body caught everything) and can line up in the slot, X or Y.  At a max of 6 million (With bonuses) how can this not be a good signing? Dak is structured, he needs to know where his guy is going to be. I think this is part of why he and Dez don't gel on the field.  Romo and Dez were both great at improvising and playing school yard ball. 

Hurns has been banged up, but I don't see anything chronic and past team mates have also said he played hurt too.

I really see this is a focus going forward. Having guys who run the route tree, ALL of it.  The WR coach Lal (I believe) is very big on this.

My draft thoughts with a couple of weeks to go (Long apologies):

-Through Free Agency the Cowboys have added solid a couple solid additions at WR and OT/G (Hurns at WR and Fleming on the O-line). 

-However, it still has not cleared up either position group.  Questions remain, such as:

WR

-Is Dez going to be cut or return.  IF cut, WR is an need in the draft.

-If Dez stays, we likely wait another year to address WR.

O-line

-Where does Cam Fleming play? 

-Is he a swing tackle? Is he the RT and we move Collins to LG? Is Fleming the LG?

-Personally, I don’t want to move Collins.  Either way Oline will need addressing through a LG or Swing Tackle (whichever spot is not addressed with the Fleming signing)

Safety

-There are still cheap FA options, although I am not sure the Cowboys see a scheme fit with the FA’s.  They want a ballhawk, not a in the box SS type.

-I think the Cowboys will still inquire about Earl Thomas and hope the ridiculous ask of a first and third round picks come down.

-FS (Derwin) is a definite possibility, may have to move up though to get him.

Line Backer

-Gotta have one.  We are too thin. No depth and they are always banged up.

-There will be solid players available our first pick.

DT

-I still think this could be a thing.  Although the true need is a 1T, which we will not use a high pick with.

-We may shift existing guys to 1T and draft a 3T. 

-Some good prospects this year.

TE

-Witten. Love him. He is a dinosaur now though.

-Rico Gathers, what do have here?

Cowboys are pretty predictable with first round picks – they almost always are needs and that came in for a visit.

Here is a list of the players (I highlighted likely target at 19) that we have visited with so far:

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN (5)
James Daniels, OL, Iowa
Will Hernandez, G, UTEP
Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
Connor Williams, OT, Texas
Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia

LINEBACKERS (3)
Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State
Darius Leonard, OLB/ILB, South Carolina State

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (5)
Vita Vea, DT, Washington
Harold Landry, DE, Boston Collins
D'Ron Payne, DL, Alabama
Taven Bryant, DT, Florida
Mason Gentry, DE, SMU

RUNNING BACKS (1)
Nyheim Hines, RB, N.C. State

SS (1)
Deshon Elliott

WIDE RECEIVERS (5)
James Washington
D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
Christian Kirk WR
Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa
Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida

My prediction as of today (in order) at 19 is one of:

Leighton Vander Esch – Lots of smoke with this guy.

Rashaan Evans

Taven Bryant

Calvin Ridley

D’Ron Payne

My draft thoughts with a couple of weeks to go (Long apologies):

-

O-line

-Where does Cam Fleming play? 

-Is he a swing tackle? Is he the RT and we move Collins to LG? Is Fleming the LG?

-Personally, I don’t want to move Collins.  Either way Oline will need addressing through a LG or Swing Tackle (whichever spot is not addressed with the Fleming signing)

Agree with most except I have no issues moving Collins back to G. I think he’s more of a road grader/mauler which is more suited for G than T. 

I dont watch much college football and unless we pick top 10 I don’t take the time to learn about everyone. 

(My biggest knock on TWILL body caught everything)

Dak is structured, he needs to know where his guy is going to be. I think this is part of why he and Dez don't gel on the field.  Romo and Dez were both great at improvising and playing school yard ball. 

I really see this is a focus going forward. Having guys who run the route tree, ALL of it.  The WR coach Lal (I believe) is very big on this.
Agree on Williams. What’s odd is he’s either been one of our most clutch or one of the biggest boneheads the past couple of seasons. Like you, I’m tired of the body catches though. 

Agree that DaK likes his guys to be where there’re supposed to be which is not uncommon. Dez is allegedly working on his route running this offseason but we shall see.

Hurns said he learned a lot from the new WR coach so hopefully he has that impression on others and the WR take a step in the right direction this year. 

Honestly my biggest gripe with the entire offense is the lack of creativity. The injuries were one thing, the Zeke thing was another, but even then Cowboys were so easy to stop last year because they ran about 8-10 plays out of all of about 4 formations. We either lined up in what was basically goaline or 4/5 wide. Soooooo frustrating. 

Agree with most except I have no issues moving Collins back to G. I think he’s more of a road grader/mauler which is more suited for G than T. 

I dont watch much college football and unless we pick top 10 I don’t take the time to learn about everyone. 
While,I agree with your assessment that Collins might be a better Guard. BUT...

It is much harder to find a quality RT than it is to find a good OG. I can not justify moving him back to OG- Unless you evaluate one of the following scenarios. 1- That Fleming is an above average starting OT. Or 2- That you are OK with drafting an OT in the first round. 

I am not cool with either option.

For me, I play Fleming at LG and have him be the swing tackle or I draft a plug and play OG in rounds 2 or 3 in the draft. This is what I would do. Although clearly no one is listening to me. 

While,I agree with your assessment that Collins might be a better Guard. BUT...

It is much harder to find a quality RT than it is to find a good OG. I can not justify moving him back to OG- Unless you evaluate one of the following scenarios. 1- That Fleming is an above average starting OT. Or 2- That you are OK with drafting an OT in the first round. 

I am not cool with either option.

For me, I play Fleming at LG and have him be the swing tackle or I draft a plug and play OG in rounds 2 or 3 in the draft. This is what I would do. Although clearly no one is listening to me. 
I’m listening GB! 

Im cool with your assessment. I should have stated that my idea to move Collins back to G was with the understanding that Fleming is better than Collins at RT. 

Im all in this season and not just with Garrett, but as a fan. So many years of being emotionally invested during the Romo years really wore me out. The heartbreaking ways we found to lose game was one thing, but I really thought we turned the corner with the way the team has been conservatively drafting and building the team only for it to all fall apart last year. I can’t watch the same 8 plays again. If I can tell you if it’s a run or pass pre-snap on 98% of the plays I’ll pull my hair out. 

Im not saying I won’t be a fan anymore or switch teams, I’m saying I will back off emotionally which in all honesty is probably healthy anyway. I have let fall Sunday’s make or break my week for 30 years, it can’t be good for the ol ticker.

I’m listening GB! 

Im cool with your assessment. I should have stated that my idea to move Collins back to G was with the understanding that Fleming is better than Collins at RT. 

Im all in this season and not just with Garrett, but as a fan. So many years of being emotionally invested during the Romo years really wore me out. The heartbreaking ways we found to lose game was one thing, but I really thought we turned the corner with the way the team has been conservatively drafting and building the team only for it to all fall apart last year. I can’t watch the same 8 plays again. If I can tell you if it’s a run or pass pre-snap on 98% of the plays I’ll pull my hair out. 

Im not saying I won’t be a fan anymore or switch teams, I’m saying I will back off emotionally which in all honesty is probably healthy anyway. I have let fall Sunday’s make or break my week for 30 years, it can’t be good for the ol ticker.
I meant in the Cowboys front office. Although, yes our thread is a ghost town.  Most of the SP have scared off most of the Cowboys fans.

For the draft...I am starting to think more and more the pick is Leighton Vander Esch or a trade likely down, but I would not be surprised if one of Vita Vea or Derwin James falls to the teens, we could send a third and swap picks get one of these guys. I don't think Calvin Ridley is a clean prospect and what we are looking for despite WR being a need if we indeed cut Dez.  I hope we don't go WR for at least one more year. Also, I'm going to say I still believe Earl Thomas trade is NOT out the question when the Seahawks drop their price. 

I am going to be in Varadero Cuba on draft day, hoping for a decent wifi signal to keep up to date on this stuff.

Seattle does not have a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the draft so I expect they will want to get a 2 and 3 for Thomas.   I doubt they would take a 2 and a 4 since they already have 4 fourth round picks.   Maybe Thomas and a 4 for a 2 and 3 will do it.

Seattle does not have a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the draft so I expect they will want to get a 2 and 3 for Thomas.   I doubt they would take a 2 and a 4 since they already have 4 fourth round picks.   Maybe Thomas and a 4 for a 2 and 3 will do it.
Still too much...based on age and the contract he would need. Maybe a 3rd.

My pipe dream is coming away from the draft with (Vita Vea and Earl)

There are a lot of fans who seem to think Will Hernandez would be the right pick.

I totally disagree. For one, I don't believe he's worth the 19th pick & secondly, I want to take a player at a more impactful position.

There are a lot of fans who seem to think Will Hernandez would be the right pick.

I totally disagree. For one, I don't believe he's worth the 19th pick & secondly, I want to take a player at a more impactful position.
To use 4 first round picks (essentially 5 with Collins - who would have been too) on the O-line is crazy. No team has this luxury. It's gotta be defense. I am not certain I am sold on Ridley at 19 either.

To use 4 first round picks (essentially 5 with Collins - who would have been too) on the O-line is crazy. No team has this luxury. It's gotta be defense. I am not certain I am sold on Ridley at 19 either.
Yeah, I think it has to be D or possibly WR. Anything else simply doesn't make sense, IMO.

It's done (cutting Dez) & I support it. Like I've said many times, the NFL is about acquiring talent & fitting it within the salary cap. Dez simply wasn't worth his salary & "forcing" him to take a big pay cut can potentially backfire.

To me, this move shows Stephen is essentially the final decision-maker now which is a good thing.

Curious to see what WR(s) we take in the draft.

I got to give cowboys props for cutting him.  It was the right move for sure.
disagree. i would give the Cowboys credit if they made this move earlier and got some value for Dez, or anything. to just cut him is certainly not a particularly savvy move. if they knew they were going to cut him, they could have given Dez a solid and cut him earlier to give him more options, maybe having a team that signed a WR free agent and the Cowboys have another option. Going into the season with Hurns and Williams as the top options means Dak is going to get hit a lot. Not sure how much Witten has in the tank, and if you use Beasley you are removing another pass protector, and certainly most teams would have their top CB cover Beasley. 

it is like they are racing the Giants to the bottom of the division. Smart move would have been to deal with this earlier, maybe in season.and hope to get at least a draft pick or something for Dez. 

disagree. i would give the Cowboys credit if they made this move earlier and got some value for Dez, or anything. to just cut him is certainly not a particularly savvy move. if they knew they were going to cut him, they could have given Dez a solid and cut him earlier to give him more options, maybe having a team that signed a WR free agent and the Cowboys have another option. Going into the season with Hurns and Williams as the top options means Dak is going to get hit a lot. Not sure how much Witten has in the tank, and if you use Beasley you are removing another pass protector, and certainly most teams would have their top CB cover Beasley. 

it is like they are racing the Giants to the bottom of the division. Smart move would have been to deal with this earlier, maybe in season.and hope to get at least a draft pick or something for Dez. 
Now teams are gonna use their 1 cb on Beasley, last week you didn't believe teams were game planning to stop Beasley.

Noone was going to trade for Dez and his contract. 

Now teams are gonna use their 1 cb on Beasley, last week you didn't believe teams were game planning to stop Beasley.

Noone was going to trade for Dez and his contract. 
well you guys were the one's who told me Beasley operated as the #1 for parts of the season to the point of getting doubled, which to be honest i had no idea about. I thought he was a slot WR, but rarely the 1st option on a pass route. 

and what do you think teams will do against the Cowboys in passing situations? I don't think they will need a ton of addl. coverage on your wideouts, and i would think they need to account for Beasley in the slot or even Witten. The danger would seem to be with Beasley on a quick pass, and i would think a strong pass rush will limit how much time Dak has for deep balls. 

i do get trading partners might have been limited, but i'm not sure they couldn't find anybody. you don't think a team like the Rams with limited WR options who were playoff bound could not have been at least engaged as a potential trade partner. Maybe Jax who needed WR out. sure you have a heavy contract albatross, but luckily with the NFL, teams can just cut players. 

well you guys were the one's who told me Beasley operated as the #1 for parts of the season to the point of getting doubled, which to be honest i had no idea about. I thought he was a slot WR, but rarely the 1st option on a pass route. 

and what do you think teams will do against the Cowboys in passing situations? I don't think they will need a ton of addl. coverage on your wideouts, and i would think they need to account for Beasley in the slot or even Witten. The danger would seem to be with Beasley on a quick pass, and i would think a strong pass rush will limit how much time Dak has for deep balls. 

i do get trading partners might have been limited, but i'm not sure they couldn't find anybody. you don't think a team like the Rams with limited WR options who were playoff bound could not have been at least engaged as a potential trade partner. Maybe Jax who needed WR out. sure you have a heavy contract albatross, but luckily with the NFL, teams can just cut players. 
Not the number 1, but the safety value yes. They bracketed Cole a ton. 

No idea how to use motion or line Dez up differently. There is great vid on YouTube showing Dez run every route in the tree. 

This is ALL on the effing pathetic coaching staff we have. 

Not the number 1, but the safety value yes. They bracketed Cole a ton. 

No idea how to use motion or line Dez up differently. There is great vid on YouTube showing Dez run every route in the tree. 

This is ALL on the effing pathetic coaching staff we have. 
well i would imagine Beasley will face tougher coverage this year then last. Yes Dez has been down, etc., but teams would be stupid to not account for him every game. I remember very, very clearly games against the Eagles when it looked like Dez was a grown man playing against kids in middle school the way the Eagles could double him in the end zone and he would just grab it. this was a few years ago, yes, but i think your point about the coaching (both in game planning as well as in motivating) is where the blame should be placed. 

Will be interesting if Dez can get 50+ catches and 800 yards or something next year how Cowboys fans will look at this. all depends where he lands, but that could very well be his floor next season

well i would imagine Beasley will face tougher coverage this year then last. Yes Dez has been down, etc., but teams would be stupid to not account for him every game. I remember very, very clearly games against the Eagles when it looked like Dez was a grown man playing against kids in middle school the way the Eagles could double him in the end zone and he would just grab it. this was a few years ago, yes, but i think your point about the coaching (both in game planning as well as in motivating) is where the blame should be placed. 

Will be interesting if Dez can get 50+ catches and 800 yards or something next year how Cowboys fans will look at this. all depends where he lands, but that could very well be his floor next season
It’s a mistake. No doubt. 

Can’t wait to hear the clapping ginger ####tard say We made the best decision we could for the Dallas Cowboys football team” 14 straight times in a coming press conference. 

Its a process. Remember we are still stacking good days on top of good days and getting better and building something great. 

Yup...I am baffled at our stupidity. Even for Dallas. 

Dallas has ignored they WR position and now they have the worst in the league potentially. They should have paired a speed guy across from Dez a couple years ago but did not and basically ignored the position. Zeke will face some stiff boxes this year.

Dallas has ignored they WR position and now they have the worst in the league potentially. They should have paired a speed guy across from Dez a couple years ago but did not and basically ignored the position. Zeke will face some stiff boxes this year.
DJ Moore would fit so well at 19.  Sad to see Dez go, feel we never truly tapped into his potential.

Wut? Yeah, maybe several years ago but last year teams didn’t double Dez.

Wut? Yeah, maybe several years ago but last year teams didn’t double Dez.
i don't know what defenses did, but i would think whatever it was, it will be more then what defenses will do for T. Williams. and to cut him and get nothing back in return is just mismanagement. Like i said in the other thread, Eagles traded Torry Smith on an expiring contract for a starting CB and switch of draft picks. has to be a few team out there that would have given Dallas something. 

I think they thought they could get him to take less.  Who the hell would trade for him?

I think they thought they could get him to take less.  Who the hell would take for him?
you are telling me a team like the Bills, Jags, Rams (not sure who else) who were going to head into the post-season couldn't have been totally not interested. obviously little late in the year to add a guy, but there were multiple teams this year with tons of cap space. i find it hard to believe that no one would be interested. i guess we will see soon enough if he signs with someone

DJ Moore would fit so well at 19.  Sad to see Dez go, feel we never truly tapped into his potential.
DJ looks like a slot WR. He is not value at 19.

WTF is going on today??? I know it’s Friday the 13rd...but Christ almighty. 

you are telling me a team like the Bills, Jags, Rams (not sure who else) who were going to head into the post-season couldn't have been totally not interested. obviously little late in the year to add a guy, but there were multiple teams this year with tons of cap space. i find it hard to believe that no one would be interested. i guess we will see soon enough if he signs with someone
Or have plan to do it months ago. Not ruin his market by bashing him through the media. 

Not sure I can support this team until Garrett and Linehan are gone. 

Yes I am

Users who are viewing this thread