What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022-2023 NBA Salary Cap Draft - First Annual Battle for the Wikkid Cup (1 Viewer)

15.15 Thanasis Antetokounmpo - F - $1,878,720

I don't know if there is a more fitting pick of the draft, then to bookend my team (and the overall draft) with Antetokounmpo, the elder. He isn't going to offer much on the court - he's got NBA size and athleticism but not really an NBA game. He does know his role though and has played occasional real NBA minutes, but he's here to keep his younger brother happy. If I could have drafted Kostas and Alex, I would have done that as well.

PG: Cade Cunningham, George Hill
SG: Buddy Hield, John Konchar
SF: Dorian Finney-Smith, Pat Connaughton, Thanasis Antetokounmpo
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Trey Murphy, Zeke Nnaji
C: Pascal Siakam, Precious Achiuwa
IR: TJ Warren
Kev G-League: Tyrese Martin, Max Christie

I didn’t really have much of a coherent strategy going into the draft. With the first pick, I thought the very obvious choice was Giannis, both because he’s the best player in the world, and because he provided a lot of flexibility to build out the team.

Going into the second round, I didn’t really have an archetype I was looking for, necessarily. I was hoping that Jaylen Brown (all around easy fit, reasonable salary) or Trae Young would slip (that offense would have been siiick), but ultimately settled on the player I viewed as the highest upside remaining at 30 (Cade Cunningham).

After Cade, I saw the low salary established starters going fast and some of the big salary starting to slip, so I had my eye on Herb Jones, Scottie Barnes, and Keldon Johnson but they were all gone by my pick so I made the choice to completely commit to the ultimate switching lineup (the lack of high volume shooting later forced me to make a small compromise in Buddy Hield), and took Siakam and Finney-Smith.

From there through the end of the draft (save the previous mentioned Buddy Hield and the Kev G-Leaguers), I focused on multi-positional defenders that could shoot and complement the rest of the lineup. Overall, I think I succeed. Other than double teaming, I don’t really have an answer defensively for Trader Jake (Jokic), and Instinctive, but feel good about defending the other 12 teams as I can throw out a lot of long mobile defenders. Offensively, we have enough shooting to give Giannis room to work and Siakam and Cunningham have both started the season at All-NBA type levels.

Sorry to time out again yesterday.

15.11 - Kessler Edwards, SG, BKN

Showed some promise last year, but buried on the depth chart so far this season. With the injury history on the Nets, wouldn't be surprised to see him resurrected at some point this season for some minutes.

Ended the draft with a cool $20,117 left under the cap.

Here is the best team I think I could build with undrafted players:

Starting Lineup: Damian Lillard G ($42,492,492.00), Luguentz Dort G/F ($15,277,778.00), Kevin Huerter G/F ($14,508,929.00), Michael Porter Jr. F ($30,913,750.00), Wendell Carter C ($14,150,000.00)
Bench Rotation: Patty Mills PG ($6,479,000.00), Larry Nance Jr F/C ($9,672,727.00), Thomas Bryant C ($1,968,175.00), Ziaire Williams G/F ($4,591,680.00)
Occasional Rotation: Keita Bates-Diop F ($1,878,720.00), Keon Johnson G ($2,681,040.00)
Deep Bench: Brandon Boston Jr. G/F ($1,563,518.00), Vit Krejci G/F ($1,563,518.00), Kennedy Chandler PG ($1,200,000.00), Josh Minott SF? ($1,017,781.00)
Total Salary: $149,959,108

Beyond the high salary guys, we did a good job of combing through the real difference makers and the rotation level small forwards. Other than the Deep bench guys and Michael Porter Jr., I think all of these guys should have been drafted. Theory of the team - as mentioned, there is a little less talent available than our teams, but there was a lot of shooting left. Dame and MPJ are two of the better 5-10 shooters in the NBA, Huerter isn't that level but he's a strong plus shooter at either SG or SF, Dort isn't a great shooter but shoots and knocks down enough to have a small bit of gravity, and Carter likes to think he's a shooter. On the bench, Mills is a plus-plus shooter, Nance is more perimeter oriented for a big and can kind of stretch it out, and Williams was drafted in part due to his shooting (he might be about the biggest surprise non-drafted player to me).

Defensively, it's going to be rocky. Carter is a good defensive center, Dort is going to get the tough matchups, Huerter can occasionally hold his own, but Lillard and MPJ suck. On the bench, Mills is worthless, Nance is nice (and would be the sixth man coming in for MPJ), Williams has lots of potential, Bryant is a real honest to goodness center (when healthy), and Bates-Diop can hold his own at SF/PF.

Overall, this team is betting on the continued health of Lillard and MPJ, who have both looked very good, the development of Wendell Carter and Ziare Williams, and one of those cheap guys making it into the rotation (Bates-Diop is playing real minutes for the Spurs, the Blazers are really high on Keon Johnson, Boston was looking alright in LA last year).

Undrafted Honorable Mentions:
Zach LaVine $37,096,500.00 - He's a top 25 type player but his salary was just too high
Deandre Ayton $30,913,750.00 - His salary was just too high, but probably a top 10 center
Chris Paul $28,400,000.00 - Kind of surprised somebody didn't draft him. His salary is high but doable. Ultimately, I think his slow start turned people off.
Malcolm Brogdon $22,600,000.00 - He's looked good in Boston but $23M for 6th man or definite 5th starter is a lot.
Spencer Dinwiddie $20,171,427.00 - If he continues to play this well, he deserved to get drafted.
Aaron Gordon $19,690,909.00 - Top flight defender that can do a lot of things, except shoot. I still think he was draftable with that weakness at his salary.
Eric Gordon $19,568,360.00 - I was really torn between him and Hield. Gordon is a good, switchable defender, and can shoot from way deep which helps spacing.
Clint Capela $18,706,896.00 - Ultimately, I understand why he wasn't drafted, but he's a good PnR center that can really defend.
Harrison Barnes $18,352,273.00 - A little pricey for what he brings, but he's a good defender, hits threes, and all the sudden, gets a stupid amount of FTs.
Jusuf Nurkic $15,625,000.00 - Other than Ayton, the best C on the board but with condensed rosters, probably not a great fit playing drop coverage against everybody.
Gary Harris $13,000,000.00 - If he was healthy, he would have been picked. If he is back by the end of this calendar year, he should have been picked.
Patrick Beverley $13,000,000.00 - He's looked bad so far this year but not many good defending PGs that can hit a jumper.
Josh Hart $12,960,000.00 - Surprised he didn't get picked as he is a good shooter, reasonable defender (especially at SG), and a decent secondary playmaker.
PJ Tucker $10,490,000.00 - Another guy that should have been drafted, and I suspect would if we did the draft all over again.
Lonnie Walker $6,479,000.00 - He's probably been the Lakers 3rd best player but he's not really a shooter. He was worth a flyer for somebody.
Danuel House $4,105,000.00 - Not playing many minutes and hasn't been that impressive, but he was cheap and can both shoot and defend.
David Roddy $2,588,640.00 - Homer pick (he went to my alma mater) - He's been playing real rotation minutes for a good team. Would have been worth a cheap flyer.

Starting Lineup: Damian Lillard G ($42,492,492.00), Luguentz Dort G/F ($15,277,778.00), Kevin Huerter G/F ($14,508,929.00), Michael Porter Jr. F ($30,913,750.00), Wendell Carter C ($14,150,000.00)
Bench Rotation: Patty Mills PG ($6,479,000.00), Larry Nance Jr F/C ($9,672,727.00), Thomas Bryant C ($1,968,175.00), Ziaire Williams G/F ($4,591,680.00)
Occasional Rotation: Keita Bates-Diop F ($1,878,720.00), Keon Johnson G ($2,681,040.00)
Deep Bench: Brandon Boston Jr. G/F ($1,563,518.00), Vit Krejci G/F ($1,563,518.00), Kennedy Chandler PG ($1,200,000.00), Josh Minott SF? ($1,017,781.00)

Beyond the high salary guys, we did a good job of combing through the real difference makers and the rotation level small forwards. Other than the Deep bench guys and Michael Porter Jr., I think all of these guys should have been drafted. Theory of the team - as mentioned, there is a little less talent available than our teams, but there was a lot of shooting left. Dame and MPJ are two of the better 5-10 shooters in the NBA, Huerter isn't that level but he's a strong plus shooter at either SG or SF, Dort isn't a great shooter but shoots and knocks down enough to have a small bit of gravity, and Carter likes to think he's a shooter. On the bench, Mills is a plus-plus shooter, Nance is more perimeter oriented for a big and can kind of stretch it out, and Williams was drafted in part due to his shooting (he might be about the biggest surprise non-drafted player to me).

Defensively, it's going to be rocky. Carter is a good defensive center, Dort is going to get the tough matchups, Huerter can occasionally hold his own, but Lillard and MPJ suck. On the bench, Mills is worthless, Nance is nice (and would be the sixth man coming in for MPJ), Williams has lots of potential, Bryant is a real honest to goodness center (when healthy), and Bates-Diop can hold his own at SF/PF.

Overall, this team is betting on the continued health of Lillard and MPJ, who have both looked very good, the development of Wendell Carter and Ziare Williams, and one of those cheap guys making it into the rotation (Bates-Diop is playing real minutes for the Spurs, the Blazers are really high on Keon Johnson, Boston was looking alright in LA last year).

Zach LaVine $37,096,500.00 - He's a top 25 type player but his salary was just too high
Deandre Ayton $30,913,750.00 - His salary was just too high, but probably a top 10 center
Chris Paul $28,400,000.00 - Kind of surprised somebody didn't draft him. His salary is high but doable. Ultimately, I think his slow start turned people off.
Malcolm Brogdon $22,600,000.00 - He's looked good in Boston but $23M for 6th man or definite 5th starter is a lot.
Spencer Dinwiddie $20,171,427.00 - If he continues to play this well, he deserved to get drafted.
Aaron Gordon $19,690,909.00 - Top flight defender that can do a lot of things, except shoot. I still think he was draftable with that weakness at his salary.
Eric Gordon $19,568,360.00 - I was really torn between him and Hield. Gordon is a good, switchable defender, and can shoot from way deep which helps spacing.
Clint Capela $18,706,896.00 - Ultimately, I understand why he wasn't drafted, but he's a good PnR center that can really defend.
Harrison Barnes $18,352,273.00 - A little pricey for what he brings, but he's a good defender, hits threes, and all the sudden, gets a stupid amount of FTs.
Jusuf Nurkic $15,625,000.00 - Other than Ayton, the best C on the board but with condensed rosters, probably not a great fit playing drop coverage against everybody.
Gary Harris $13,000,000.00 - If he was healthy, he would have been picked. If he is back by the end of this calendar year, he should have been picked.
Patrick Beverley $13,000,000.00 - He's looked bad so far this year but not many good defending PGs that can hit a jumper.
Josh Hart $12,960,000.00 - Surprised he didn't get picked as he is a good shooter, reasonable defender (especially at SG), and a decent secondary playmaker.
PJ Tucker $10,490,000.00 - Another guy that should have been drafted, and I suspect would if we did the draft all over again.
Lonnie Walker $6,479,000.00 - He's probably been the Lakers 3rd best player but he's not really a shooter. He was worth a flyer for somebody.
Danuel House $4,105,000.00 - Not playing many minutes and hasn't been that impressive, but he was cheap and can both shoot and defend.
David Roddy $2,588,640.00 - Homer pick (he went to my alma mater) - He's been playing real rotation minutes for a good team. Would have been worth a cheap flyer.
I feel like the problem with these guys is one of a few issues:
1. Age/injury risk - they are just not reliable at their high price tag. Lillard is already hurt again. Thomas Bryant isn't playing yet. MPJ's back is made of glass. CP3 has a LOT of miles on him.
2. Decreased role IRL - Patty Mills is only playing 13 mpg. Nance and Brogdon aren't starters anymore.
3. Limited skillsets - Some of these guys are shooters but defensive liabilities (Lillard, Huerter, Porter) or good defenders that can't shoot (Dort, Gordon). Add in a higher price tag and they just got passed over until the money ran out.
4. Price tag higher than peers - The centers especially suffered here. There were a lot of starting quality centers much cheaper than Ayton, Capela & Nurkic. Even your sample team above went with Wendell Carter to save money. This is just a product of today's NBA were bigs are devalued if they aren't highly skilled or extremely versatile defensively.

So what's the next step? Weren't we going to do some kind of ranking/voting on the teams now and then again after the season (with a possible fantasy points tracking during the season)?
@Yo Mama

Great drafting everyone! We only had a couple skips at the very end, and surprisingly nobody went over the salary cap. This was fun.

Next Steps

1) Pre-season Rankings.
- Everyone should do a writeup of their final team this week if you haven’t already. Doesn’t have to be a novel, but at least lay out your starters and bench.
- Everyone rank the other 14 teams from 14 (best) to 1 (worst). You can use whatever criteria you want, but the rankings are supposed to be for this year only, nothing beyond that. Get these to me by Tuesday next week and I’ll consolidate and roll out. Don’t rank your own team, as I assume they would all be 15s.

2) Fantasy League
- DM me your email address so I can set up a free fantasy league. I’ll try to set things up this weekend. You’ll also be receiving some incredible information regarding starting your own business as an Amway lifestyle representative (among other incredible opportunities).

3) Enjoy watching your end of bench guys getting 5 minutes of garbage time every third game and we’ll regroup for an end of year tournament.

Forgot to add, DM me your rankings (don’t post in this thread unless you want to reveal yours after the consolidated results are released).

I feel like the problem with these guys is one of a few issues:
1. Age/injury risk - they are just not reliable at their high price tag. Lillard is already hurt again. Thomas Bryant isn't playing yet. MPJ's back is made of glass. CP3 has a LOT of miles on him.
2. Decreased role IRL - Patty Mills is only playing 13 mpg. Nance and Brogdon aren't starters anymore.
3. Limited skillsets - Some of these guys are shooters but defensive liabilities (Lillard, Huerter, Porter) or good defenders that can't shoot (Dort, Gordon). Add in a higher price tag and they just got passed over until the money ran out.
4. Price tag higher than peers - The centers especially suffered here. There were a lot of starting quality centers much cheaper than Ayton, Capela & Nurkic. Even your sample team above went with Wendell Carter to save money. This is just a product of today's NBA were bigs are devalued if they aren't highly skilled or extremely versatile defensively.
I generally agree with all of this, other than bullet #2, just as I see it as less of an issue.

I definitely understand why most of these players went undrafted, but Dort, Huerter, Nance, Eric Gordon, Tucker, Z Williams, and Hart definitely should have been drafted. Lillard was tough to fit, but I think he offers top 10 level production which half the teams will be missing and his offensive fit is seamless. Defensively, he sucks but there are plenty of defenders that were drafted (and some that weren't, like Harris) that would absolutely cover that up.

This undrafted team would probably be the worst team in the league, but not by much, and they would have a puncher's chance with the shooting to beat anybody.

I generally agree with all of this, other than bullet #2, just as I see it as less of an issue.

I definitely understand why most of these players went undrafted, but Dort, Huerter, Nance, Eric Gordon, Tucker, Z Williams, and Hart definitely should have been drafted. Lillard was tough to fit, but I think he offers top 10 level production which half the teams will be missing and his offensive fit is seamless. Defensively, he sucks but there are plenty of defenders that were drafted (and some that weren't, like Harris) that would absolutely cover that up.

This undrafted team would probably be the worst team in the league, but not by much, and they would have a puncher's chance with the shooting to beat anybody.
I noticed a lot of guys seemed to be ignoring current IRL roles in that there were literal backups getting drafted in the first 5 rounds. I specifically targeted guys who were starters or had a path to starting all the way down to the last few rounds because I figure if you aren't good enough to start in a 30 team league, you sure aren't in a 15 team league and probably aren't going to produce enough during the season to move the needle in our post-season rankings. In other words, games started and minutes played so far this season were a big deal to me in evaluating players. Now of course there are exceptions. Your top 6th man of the year candidates (Love, Hyland, Wood, etc.) will all produce starter level stats and close games out, but those are the exceptions. I thought it was nuts to use your 4th round pick on Gary Payton or Max Strus, regardless of their low price tag.

PG
Starter: Darius Garland
Back-Up: Monte Morris
Deep Depth: Aaron Holiday

Wing
Starters: Jayson Tatum, OG Anunoby
Back-Ups: Devin Vassell, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Deep Depth: Jalen McDaniels, Kessler Edwards

Bigs
Starters: John Collins, Myles Turner
Back-Ups: Isaiah Stewart, Daniel Gafford
Deep Depth: Jeff Green, Jabari Smith

I wanted to build a deep, versatile roster around two elite shot creators/scorers. Tatum is probably the best two-way wing in the league and can be counted on for 30 points a night. And Garland is an all-star PG that can shoot from anywhere and set up the rest of the team with easy shots. Surrounding those two is a balanced starting lineup with shooting and defense from Anunoby and Turner and an additional all-around scoring punch from Collins.

One of Tatum or Garland will always be on the floor to provide a central hub. The bench has a lot of versatility with guys who can shoot, play defense and keep the offense flowing. There are options to play big or small to counter any kind of lineup. And this is also a pretty young team, so I expect some of them to make big leaps throughout this season while already starting at a pretty high floor.

Starting Unit
PG - Anthony Cole
SG - Devin Booker
SF- Jimmy Butler
PF - Bobby Portis
C- Robert "Timelord" Williams III

Second Unit

PG - Goran Dragic (with a giant chip on his broad shoulders)
SG - Moses Moody / Cam Reddish
SF - Kelly Oubre
PF - Paolo Banchero
C - Bol Bol

Depth
Tari Eason, Sterling Brown, Aaron Nesmith, Matthew Dellavedova

Some one has to finish last.

Starting Unit
PG - Anthony Cole
SG - Devin Booker
SF- Jimmy Butler
PF - Bobby Portis

Second Unit
SF - Kelly Oubre
PF - Paolo Banchero
C - Bol Bol

Depth

Great tandem of wings and a great 6th man in Oubre. I think Banchero should start instead of Portis. Also, Nesmith is worthy of minutes more than Cam Reddish. Downside is guardplay...you are weak outside of Booker but that group of forwards is as good as any. If Timelord gets healthy you may have something here. Don't think you are close to last...Butler won't let you be, especially alongside a great player like Booker.

PG
Starter: Darius Garland
Back-Up: Monte Morris
Deep Depth: Aaron Holiday

Wing
Starters: Jayson Tatum, OG Anunoby
Back-Ups: Devin Vassell, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Deep Depth: Jalen McDaniels, Kessler Edwards

Bigs
Starters: John Collins, Myles Turner
Back-Ups: Isaiah Stewart, Daniel Gafford
Deep Depth: Jeff Green, Jabari Smith

I wanted to build a deep, versatile roster around two elite shot creators/scorers. Tatum is probably the best two-way wing in the league and can be counted on for 30 points a night. And Garland is an all-star PG that can shoot from anywhere and set up the rest of the team with easy shots. Surrounding those two is a balanced starting lineup with shooting and defense from Anunoby and Turner and an additional all-around scoring punch from Collins.

One of Tatum or Garland will always be on the floor to provide a central hub. The bench has a lot of versatility with guys who can shoot, play defense and keep the offense flowing. There are options to play big or small to counter any kind of lineup. And this is also a pretty young team, so I expect some of them to make big leaps throughout this season while already starting at a pretty high floor.
That is a great starting 5 (especially after watching Garland last night) in all phases. Not a weakness among them really.

Ananoby is leading the league in steals and Turner will lead the league in blocks once he plays enough games to qualify.

Starting Unit
PG - Anthony Cole
SG - Devin Booker
SF- Jimmy Butler
PF - Bobby Portis

Second Unit
SF - Kelly Oubre
PF - Paolo Banchero
C - Bol Bol

Depth

Great tandem of wings and a great 6th man in Oubre. I think Banchero should start instead of Portis. Also, Nesmith is worthy of minutes more than Cam Reddish. Downside is guardplay...you are weak outside of Booker but that group of forwards is as good as any. If Timelord gets healthy you may have something here. Don't think you are close to last...Butler won't let you be, especially alongside a great player like Booker.
My thought on Banchero was the second unit needed another scorer with Oubre.

PG: DeJounte Murray, Bones Hyland, RJ Hampton

SG: Anfernee Simons, Kevin Porter, Naji Marshall

SF: Paul George, Reggie Bullock, Kenyon Martin

PF: Domantas Sabonis, Jarred Vanderbilt, Darius Bazley

C: Jonas Valanciunas, Alperen Sengun, Naz Reid

We got size. We got shooting. We got playmaking. We got size that shoots and size that playmakes. We are deep. Really deep. If this isn't the deepest team in our draft it's definitely close. And that kind of depth means we can do just about anything with our 5 on the floor. Go big. Go small. Go fast. Go tough defense. Go playmaking and shooting. Oh, and if you want star power, three of our five starters have been all-stars and it's going to happen for Simons sooner than later, he's just young. If youth impresses you, 12 of the 15 guys are under 27 years old.

FUN FACT: Reid (10), Hyland (18), Bazley (18), and Hampton (16) are the only guys on the roster not playing 25+ minutes per game so far this season.

Guards: Luka Doncic, Tyrese Maxey, Quentin Grimes, Austin Reaves, Dalano Banton

Wings: Brandon Ingram, Cameron Johnson, Jerami Grant, Grant Williams

Bigs: Jaren Jackson Jr., Onyeka Okongwu, Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Montrezl Harrell

Intentional-foulers: Jabari Walker, Chima Moneke

Obviously once I got the 2nd pick and took Luka, the goal was to build around him. I tried to acquire guys who either were great defenders or at least had a lot of length and switchability, and of course who could drain it from deep. Really wanted Bane in the 2nd round to pair with Luka, but Maxey was a great consolation prize and made it where I could stagger the two of them and just use him as backup PG. Cam Johnson, Grant, and Grant Williams are guys who provide plus defense and/or can drain it from deep, all without the need for the ball in their hands. Some risk with injury, but the theory of Jaren Jackson with Luka is phenomenal, a guy who doesn't need to ball in his hands, can knock it down from deep, and provides league-leading shot blocking with 1st-team All-Defense ability. Okongwu then provides elite defense and rim running capability when we want to run the offense that route. I had planned to go a slightly different way, but when Ingram kept falling, I did the math and figured out I could squeeze him in, giving my team another dimension and another option with elite upside.

With Luka, Maxey, Ingram, Cam, Grant, and JJJ, I'm not sure which guy would be best coming off the bench, but it doesn't matter too much as there's a ton of ways we can mix and match. A potential super-height/length switching lineup of Luka-Cam-Ingram-Grant-JJJ could be quite fun at times, or even playing Okongwu with JJJ at the 4. Perhaps less deep than other rosters, but with more elite upside IMO. Like everyone else, just gotta fade those injuries and stay healthy.

Jalen Suggs had a nice night tonight.

He may need to step into a larger role with Harden out.

Last edited:
Team NYSFL

Starters:
Trae Young
Alec Burks
Bennedict Mathurin
Zion Williamson
Jarrett Allen

I'm surrounding Trae and Zion with good defenders, two 40+% 3-pt shooters, and the inside presence of Jarrett Allen. Offensively Zion and Trae will provide the playmaking and generate plenty of open looks for Burks and Mathurin, and dunks for Allen. Defensively, we'll put Young on the weakest guard, and have Allen protecting the rim if/when Trae lets his man past him. This team is going to score a ton of points and put a lot of pressure on the other team to keep up. If there's an elite guard on the other team that we need to slow down, we have the flexibility to swap Gary Payton into the starting lineup and make their lives miserable.

Primary bench unit:
Mike Conley
Gary Payton II
Javonte Green/Otto Porter
Isaiah Livers
Isaiah Hartenstein

This bench unit is going to be really good defensively - every one of them is plus defender. They're going to generate a ton of turnovers and easy points at the other end, especially against the teams who invested heavily in their starters and left their bench a little thin. We'll limit Porter's minutes in the regular season to keep him healthy for the playoffs, and let Green play more during the regular season. Conley will be our primary playmaker on offense, and if we wind up needing some more shooting in this unit, we'll either move Payton into a starting role and bring Burks to the bench, or give LaRavia some time with this unit for his shooting and bump Livers down to the 3.

For our other bench guys, we've got an elite wing defender in Josh Green (you can never have too many of those), a young big in Jalen Duren who's already a good rebounder, rim protector and rim-runner (he could easily replace Hartenstein in the 2nd unit by the end of the year), and, well, Nassir Little, who hopefully is good at cheering the other guys on from the bench.

Nikola Jokic is the star Team Trader Jake is built upon. Overall, the roster depth is vital and should allow the team to exploit opponent weaknesses. It’s an extremely well-balanced team with all manner of line-up possibilities. The floor for this team may be among the highest in the draft, with the upside to be determined by health and playoff match-ups. An effort was made to draft players that could handle to ball, shoot from downtown, and guard multiple positions.

Center
Starter – Nikola Jokic
Bench Rotation – Draymond Green will move to the 5 when Jokic is out
Depth – rookie Christian Koloko & Goga Bitadze

Forwards
Starters – Draymond Green & Saddiq Bey (regular season)
Bench Rotation – Jaden McDaniels, Terence Mann & Jae Crowder (playoffs)
Depth – rookie Jalen Williams

Guards
Starters – Jrue Holiday & Desmond Bane
Bench Rotation – Jordan Clarkson & Alex Caruso
Depth – Dennis Smith Jr. & Bryn Forbes

On offense, the ball will be in Jokic’s hands a lot to create for others and efficiently score. The (criminally underrated IMO) Desmond Bane stretches the court and hunts for 3’s. Jrue & Draymond will also initiate offense while an assortment of wings move to benefit from that array of great passers. When needed, Jordan Clarkson is a spark plug to create buckets off the bench. Jokic is putting up historically ridiculous numbers, if a team can’t defend that first and foremost they’re in trouble from the jump.

The defense is anchored by all-world defenders Draymond Green on the backside and Jrue Holiday out on the perimeter. The advanced numbers all tout Jokic on defense, so generally this team will allow him to defend most centers 1-on-1. Teams will have to shoot extremely well or be very disciplined in the half-court to score because a majority of the roster can make offense difficult, including Alex Caruso and Jaden McDaniels and their well-earned defensive reputations. The roster depth will make life tough for opponents. Overall, Draymond & Jrue's ability to guard all manner of star offensive players is paramount to this team's success.

Last edited:
GUARDS - Ja Morant, Terry Rozier, Davion Mitchell, Jordan McLaughlin, Daishen Nix

WINGS - RJ Barrett, Bruce Brown, Caleb Martin, Robert Covington, Dean Wade, Sam Hauser, Matt Ryan

BIGS - Rudy Gobert, Christian Wood, Brook Lopez

Plan would be to start Ja, Barrett, Brown, Wood, Gobert. Have enough creation with Ja, RJ, and Wood, while allowing Brown to shut down best perimeter scorer and Gobert to close off the paint. A lot of Ja/Gobert, and Ja/Wood pick n rolls. Brown sits in the corner and gobbles up many open threes (currently 47%).

Second unit would likely be super switchable guards and wings with Lopez anchoring the paint. Rozier, Martin, Covington, and my new favorite player Dean Wade.

More later, but am heading out of town for the weekend

If there’s one thing that’s come out of this draft for me, it’s much easier to make up fake trades in my head for Durant.

This team is built around the two superstars I couldn’t avoid blowing the budget on early. Steph Curry and Lebron James are two of the greatest players of all time and still playing at a very high level. Elite shooting and playmaking is a given with the squad. Lebron is still a high-level defender to boot.

My goal has been to surround these two stars with role players that can switch in depending on the skills needed for any opposing lineup. I was also able to add Keldon Johnson and Josh Giddey to this squad to ensure we always have a couple of players on the floor capable of getting their own bucket and running the offense through. Many a Lebron championship run has ended because he lacked a teammate who could generate offense or hit open shots. That simply will not happen with this team.

The strongest starting 5 I could field is probably:

Steph Curry/Seth Curry/Keldon Johnson/Lebron James/Jacob Poeltl

This gives us great offensive spacing for these talents to work in while Poeltl protects the interior. I feel very confident in winning a shootout most nights. When in need of more defense, Matisse Thybulle can switch in and guard the best wing or perimeter option. PJ Washington has the versatility to play multiple positions, provides great spacing with his shooting, and we could even run a small lineup with him in the middle, but I like this as an alternate view I like:

Steph Curry/Matisse Thybulle/Lebron James/PJ Washington/Jacob Poeltl

Giddey rounds out the core rotation as an instant offense option ready to go anytime Steph needs a breather. I think both him and Keldon Johnson are high upside picks that could look a lot better by the end of the year.

With the rest of the draft, I tried to shore up areas where the starters are weaker even though positions seem to matter less and less in the modern game. Biyombo is a rim protector off the bench when needed while Nick Richards is a big option that has been scoring in bunches. Gabe Vincent will have steady minutes in Miami but will probably be behind Welsey Matthews and Garrison Mathews in the minute count.

I like AJ Griffin as a shooter with upside in Atlanta if he can get some run. Mark Williams has looked good in limited time. Will have to check back with these guys at the end of the season to see if they can work up into the rotation.

Center
Starter – Nikola Jokic

Forwards

Guards

In a standard 8 CAT with no bench, this is an incredible lineup with a hard cap limit in place.

Trader Jake might have turned this into a 7 CAT by locking in steals. And did it without force feeding a single category specialist. Even Goga might get some extended burn if Myles Turner is traded.

The entire roster here is projectible across the entire season, barring injuries.

This is like watching a movie where Trader Jake walks into the Cleveland front office and hires Jonah Hill, and by the end convinces Chris Pratt that he can play first base. I just don't see how TJ loses this league unless he's beset by massive injuries.

Gotta say that I don't love Draymond as a 4 next to Jokic
Debated going with more of a traditional 4/back-up at the 5, but elected to play around Jokic's strengths as much as possible. Playing with a Magic Johnson or Larry Bird level passer just changes your offense, teammates become more willing to pass and move, pass and move. It's just infectious. With that in mind I didn't want to have that change when the ball wasn't in Jokic's hands or he was off the court.

Enter Draymond & Jrue. Both are among the best defenders in the league, able to make life difficult off ball and on different style offensive players. On offense though, both are willing passers and do all the little things to drive offense for their teammates (not letting the ball stick with them, setting picks, cutting, etc).

In real life, Jokic & Draymond would also stagger their minutes to maximize their value. For the 10-15 minutes Jokic was off the court, Draymond would man the 5 and the team could go small with an extra shooter in the game like Jordan Clarkson (or even players like Dennis Smith Jr or Bryn Forbes in the regular season). When Draymond (or Jrue) is off the court I'd want players like Jaden McDaniels or Alex Caruso in the game to keep up the defensive pressure and maximize Jokic's playmaking.

Gotta say, I loved this draft. Really enjoyed selecting my team and watching others do the same. Building their line-ups in different ways, analyzing how I thought the pieces of the puzzle would fit together. I appreciate the opportunity to be in these with you guys, well done all!

Center
Starter – Nikola Jokic

Forwards

Guards

In a standard 8 CAT with no bench, this is an incredible lineup with a hard cap limit in place.

Trader Jake might have turned this into a 7 CAT by locking in steals. And did it without force feeding a single category specialist. Even Goga might get some extended burn if Myles Turner is traded.

The entire roster here is projectible across the entire season, barring injuries.

This is like watching a movie where Trader Jake walks into the Cleveland front office and hires Jonah Hill, and by the end convinces Chris Pratt that he can play first base. I just don't see how TJ loses this league unless he's beset by massive injuries.
I feel like this will be used against me, as a 30 second superPAC commerical, constantly airing just before the voting begins. :laugh:

"With GordenGekko on his side, can Trader Jake be trusted? His team is just too radical for the Wikkid Cup!"
This advertisement has been paid for by the 'Make the Pac12 Conference of Champions Again FFA Committee."

Last edited:
Guards: Fred VanVleet, Immanuel Quickley, Facundo Campazzo
Wings: DeMar DeRozan, De'Andre Hunter, Gary Trent Jr, Christian Braun, Shaedon Sharpe, Kenrich Williams
Bigs: Karl-Anthony Towns, Evan Mobley, Robin Lopez, Kyle Anderson, Santi Aldama, Omer Yurtseven

I didn't plan to draft a team with twin towers but that's the way the early rounds fell to me. Mobley and Towns should get plenty of real-life experience playing alongside Allen and Gobert which will help them in similar twosomes with this team. I clearly have the two on my team with the best offensive skills; Mobley has impressive handles for a seven footer and Towns can space the floor with his outside shooting. Defensively, Mobley is the better rim protector and we'll know more about KAT's ability to switch on the perimeter by the playoffs. The roles can be reversed if Towns is a target for smaller matchups outside. Robin Lopez can bang off the bench and brings impeccable vibes to the locker room, Kyle Anderson has a solid all-around game and can excel at the 4 with either center in the game. Slo Mo's game is highly adaptible to any lineup that's around him. Santi Aldama is getting some run in Memphis at the stretch 4 although his 3PT% will have to improve from 29% to see the floor in this universe. Omer Yurtseven had a few nice games when the Heat had a bunch of guys out last year. He's been hurt this year so far but I'm looking for the Yurt to make the leap.

I didn't start drafting wings until round #4. Hunter and Trent will start the game and bring some length and tenacity on defense. Trent is going to ball out in his contract year and Hunter will hopefully get a full season in to prove why the Hawks were smart to extend him. DeRozan will come off the bench, provide veteran leadership and can close out games when we need buckets. Christian Braun and Shaedon Sharpe are my two rookies. Braun has a higher floor with his complementary skill set while the sky is the limit for Sharpe's otherworldly athleticism. Kenrich Williams is a hustle guy who can play either forward position and shoot the ball a little.

Fred VanVleet is my point guard and will hog the minutes there just as he does with the Raptors. Immanuel Quickley brings his energy to the second unit and can play alongside VanVleet in small lineups. Facundo Campazzo is a savvy veteran of the international game who can facilitate the offense effectively in the minutes he gets.

I didn't start drafting wings until round #4. Hunter and Trent will start the game and bring some length and tenacity on defense. Trent is going to ball out in his contract year and Hunter will hopefully get a full season in to prove why the Hawks were smart to extend him. DeRozan will come off the bench, provide veteran leadership and can close out games when we need buckets.
Great wings Euphus. With this squad, Gary Trent Jr. ends up as a strict guard. I was wondering who you would put on the bench. Gotta admit, I thought you'd lean Hunter. If DeRozen would accept that role, it would be a real boon for the way your rotation would then fall. Love Mobley's game, he's a beast.

I, too, thoroughly enjoyed this exercise.

We'll see how the minutes break out, and especially how this tightens up in the playoffs.

TEAM INSTINCTIVE: TWO-WAY ALL-STARS
Interesting facts about this team right now:
  • As best I can tell, me and Kev are the only two teams with two guys currently in the top 10 MVP odds. I think obviously Desert Power's squad could easily get there too, maybe Dr. Octopus at end of season, but I have a hard time seeing any others where I think that's a real likely thing.
  • This team also has the clearest path to 3 or even 4 All Stars: Embiid is a lock, Mitchell is absolutely dominant and looking like the SOD right now, Wiggins showed what he can do all playoffs and started last year (with a decent argument, not just because of BTS), and Halliburton has an outside chance. Most of our teams have a clear path to two, with a shot at a third, while very few could envision four.
Top end talent matters! That was my mantra in the draft. My draft regret is that I think there's a world where I take Ingram or Middleton instead of Clarke and lean even heavier into the stars approach. I made a judgment call that others would be valuing depth a bit more than me, and I'm drafting for 14 voters who have varied philosophies of basketball.

I had my pick of my second tier of players, pretty much. Embiid, Durant, Curry, LeBron were all guys I considered, and it came down to the least imitable or replaceable skillset, and that's a five who can lead the league in scoring and be in the conversation for DPOY (man I wanted Giannis). Embiid is the anchor, and the lower price also allowed for a star-laden strategy where I could try to target 4 $30M guys (I ended with three only). I almost immediately knew Mitchell was falling and he became a prime target, and I went back and forth on Ingram vs Wiggins a ton, eventually settling on a guy who is a top 10 defender in the NBA over Ingram's creation upside, given I had Mitchell, Embiid, Halliburton already.

Then I rounded it out with starters on bargains with upside, and guys who have as much upside as I can get for the price.

The starting lineup:
  • Guards: Donovan Mitchell and Tyrese Haliburton
    • Both are great on and off the ball, and Mitchell is showing everything he can truly do with a team that's excited to move around and has other guys who can actually do stuff with the ball (unlike Gobert, Royce O'Neal, etc)
    • Haliburton has been a monster since getting out of Sacramento in one of the more inexplicable trades we've seen
    • We're going to see how it plays out this year, but Mitchell has all the tools to become a great defender if the team and his work ethic demand it. Long, crazy athletic, side to side ability, etc. I think he was super worth the cost at just his current skillset, but do have some hope he develops defensively on this Cavs team
  • Wings: Andrew Wiggins and Herb Jones
    • I started structuring the team with a philosophy similar to what I know and love, and have been super excited for as a Dallas fan since Nico and Kidd came on: a couple offensive hubs surrounded by high level defense and switchability on the wings. Wiggins and Jones bring that, both able to guard 1-4 (Wiggins better at the 4 part), and we could go small and run anyone out of the gym. These are also two guys who can hold their own on defense against the stars: Luka, LeBron, Durant, Kawhi, Ja, Tatum, etc.
    • Wiggins locked in on individual defense in the playoffs last year was incredible. He's easily the best I've ever seen defend Luka or Tatum.
    • Jones is in his second year and a fantastic contract besides, so tons of upside here
  • Big man: Joel Embiid
    • How much do I really need to say? Constant MVP candidate, has led the league in scoring, turns the ball over less every year, plays fantastic defense, and is one of the best personalities in interviews
    • Sucks that he's off to a tough start - hard to call him injury prone for the broken face. We'll see how the year goes.
The bench and rotation:
  • Guys getting real minutes:
    • Ayo Dosunmu: a great starter for the Bulls who is an absolute hound on defense and is shooting really well, as he showed scoring chops at Illinois
    • Derrick White: steady jack of al trades who doesn't hurt you in any one aspect of the game. Showed he's a meaningful contributor ad belongs in the NBA Finals. He can keep all the pieces moving, get stars the ball in the right spots, guard 1-3, so he'll see some time in a "three guard" lineup where he's defending the wing on bench units
    • Maxi Kleber: criminally underrated guy who gets run in the regular season and minutes ramp up in the playoffs. Guards 3/4 mainly, and can play the 5 against small teams (wil get destroyed by even a guy like Valanciunas mostly). Deadeye shooter come the playoffs every year, switchable onto guards effectively (ask Booker and CP3), and by all accounts an incredible teammate
    • Brandon Clarke: love this guy, as do the advanced metrics. Great roll man, and Embiid and Kleber and Wiggins all have the shooting that he can be our roll guy if needed for a few minutes (though he likely almost never shares the floor with Embiid). Lobs from Mitchell and Haliburton and White and Dosunmu will be great fun as we terrorize the smaller and typically less athletic second units out there in the league.
  • Guys who get minutes every so often due to their upside:
    • Dyson Daniels: high first round pick, huge at like 6'8" and listed as a point guard, Daniels can guard 1-3, I think he learns how to guard 1-4, and he's a great distributor who's got decent shooting touch. We'll see how he develops in NO this year.
    • Walker Kessler: the real Embiid backup for us, he's showing out great defense on the surprising Jazz and can play a role. Another lottery pick, he's got upside.
    • Josh Okogie: let's see if he gets the 3 and D down in Phoenix this season. I interviewed and put him through some draft workouts for one of the teams when I was in the NBA, so I've got a soft spot. Great kid. He's showing some flashes in Phoenix.
  • Guys to round out the roster who don't really play:
    • Paul Reed: Everyone in Philly always clamors for more from him. Maybe he does some cool stuff.
    • Ryan Rollins: had to get a 15th guy
  • Jaden Hardy: gets his own category because he's a top 3 in his class talent who struggled a bit in the G-League, but easily the highest upside $1M player by far. Maybe this season he gets a shot to replace Brunson, as he's got a handle and can score. If so, he's a huge boost to my rotation.

Chris Duarte injured. Ankle and will be out a couple of months.

Bump up Aaron Nesmith in minutes.

Bump up Bennedict Mathurin in minutes.

Rosters are loaded to the site and you will NOT believe who’s atop the current standings (it’s not me, but I’m up there).

This suspense is to create peer pressure for the 3 remaining teams to send me their email so I can send out the league invite.

I set up the 8 scoring categories that we discussed (points, reb, ast, 3pm, blocks, steals, fg%, ft%) but also added categories for games played, games started, and minutes played to track him much our players are playing. Those last categories won’t count in the standings.

I set up the 8 scoring categories that we discussed (points, reb, ast, 3pm, blocks, steals, fg%, ft%) but also added categories for games played, games started, and minutes played to track him much our players are playing. Those last categories won’t count in the standings.
Am I winning?

Cam Johnson injured. Meniscus. Unclear how long he will be out.

Bump up Dario Saric in minutes.

Bump up Torrey Craig and Landry Shamet in minutes.

Am I winning?
Tune in tomorrow when I get the last emails in and send out the invite. Thanks everyone for sending me your info.

Users who are viewing this thread