What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Summer of Soccer - Euro's, Copa America, Olympics, WCQing (4 Viewers)

Cardoso, McKennie, Reyna;
I'll be watching this to see if they're able to slow Colombia down thru the midfield and control the game. If we can make this work -- with a single d-mid -- it'd be a huge win. I'm skeptical, but at least we get to see it against a quality opponent and learn something.

Cardoso, McKennie, Reyna;
I'll be watching this to see if they're able to slow Colombia down thru the midfield and control the game. If we can make this work -- with a single d-mid -- it'd be a huge win. I'm skeptical, but at least we get to see it against a quality opponent and learn something.
Yeah, I like that he's doing this right now.

Kinda crazy to think we've got Adams and Musah on the bench and would think most are ok with that decision.

This is a huge test for Johnny. As well as he played this year at DM, he was always in a 2 man DM set up. I am interested to see if he has the lateral mobility needed to play a single DM.

Having Scally starting should help Johnny here as Scally is much less likely to get caught up high like Dest.

Combined Copa/Euro schedule.

I need to sign up for Fox channels - likely Fubo again like I did with the WC.

What the **** is FUBO?

What the **** is FUBO?
A streaming TV package - like Sling but they don't lie about having your local network channels. They seem to be soccer-focused somewhat. I've tried a few of these - Sling, YouTube TV, Fubo. Fubo was the best by a pretty wide margin in my opinion.

Enzo and Messi just came on for Argentina, up 1-0 against Ecuador in Chicago. DiMaria scored in the first half and is now done for the night.

Is this saying some of the games are on Fubo only? Or is this just an add for Fubo?

Is this saying some of the games are on Fubo only? Or is this just an add for Fubo?
Fox owns the English language rights to the games. Fox then sub-licensed the games to Fubo.

There are a handful of games from each tournament that are Fubo exclusive games.

Note that this is only referring to English language. TUDN, Univision and Unimas are all broadcasting as well so some of those exclusive games on Fubo may be shown in Spanish on Univision/etc.

Meanwhile in CAF, the WC26 qualifiers continue. Nigeria lost 2-1 to Benin coached by longtime Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr. Nigeria have dug themselves a deep hole in group C with only 3 points from 4 games. Only the group winners will advance with a complicated multi-phase playoff system awaiting the runners up.

Mali is the only other seeded team off to a slow start although they can right themselves with a result at group leaders Madagascar later this week.

Another big crowd is expected for the US Brazil friendly in Orlando. This should be a near 100% pro Brazilian crowd.
I was hearing a lot of criticism of US Soccer for the crowd in WA being mostly Colombian. Mostly that they haven't promoted this enough to get fans in, even if it was a friendly. Sounds like this is expected to be the same?

Another big crowd is expected for the US Brazil friendly in Orlando. This should be a near 100% pro Brazilian crowd.
I was hearing a lot of criticism of US Soccer for the crowd in WA being mostly Colombian. Mostly that they haven't promoted this enough to get fans in, even if it was a friendly. Sounds like this is expected to be the same?
I am not sure what US Soccer can do here. These crowds are huge for a friendly. The opposing teams simply have more fans that want to see the games. US Soccer doing more promotion was very unlikely to have changed the crowd make up.

I am not sure what US Soccer can do here. These crowds are huge for a friendly. The opposing teams simply have more fans that want to see the games. US Soccer doing more promotion was very unlikely to have changed the crowd make up.
You are probably right, just what I was hearing.

I just saw this will be the largest US national team crowd ever in Florida.

Fox owns the English language rights to the games. Fox then sub-licensed the games to Fubo.

There are a handful of games from each tournament that are Fubo exclusive games.

Note that this is only referring to English language. TUDN, Univision and Unimas are all broadcasting as well so some of those exclusive games on Fubo may be shown in Spanish on Univision/etc.
That is dumb of them to sub-license to Fubo instead of using one of their other stations. Guess I'll be watching some in Spanish.

That is dumb of them to sub-license to Fubo instead of using one of their other stations. Guess I'll be watching some in Spanish.

From what I could tell it looks like a handful of games are Fubo exclusive, all Euro group games. Like Turkey vs Georgia on a Tuesday morning.

Nice a thread on Copa America. Have tickets to Argentina vs Chile at MetLife stadium. Hopefully USA doesnt **** the bed in the tournament. Honestly anything less then semi final is disappointing.
Unfortunately, the semi's feels like a reach at this point.

They just lost to Colombia 5-1 and to make the semi's they are going to have to beat either Brazil or Colombia in the quarter finals.

Nice a thread on Copa America. Have tickets to Argentina vs Chile at MetLife stadium. Hopefully USA doesnt **** the bed in the tournament. Honestly anything less then semi final is disappointing.
Unfortunately, the semi's feels like a reach at this point.

They just lost to Colombia 5-1 and to make the semi's they are going to have to beat either Brazil or Colombia in the quarter finals.
That game was a disaster but I stand by statement that if they don’t make semis it is a disappointing result. If the team wants to make the next step then now is the time.

We need to find a way to beat top teams, which we never manage to do (Mexico sure as hell doesn’t count).

We need a bit of fire to roll our way into the semis - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWHUDsw_Kwc

Sixteen-year-old Bolívia midfielder Moises Paniagua will miss the Copa América in the United States because he doesn't have permission to travel from one of his parents.

So... one player out of the way.

Sixteen-year-old Bolívia midfielder Moises Paniagua will miss the Copa América in the United States because he doesn't have permission to travel from one of his parents.

So... one player out of the way.
Sebowski must be gutted...

I just saw this will be the largest US national team crowd ever in Florida.

I don't think JT is interpreting this correctly. https://x.com/jtbatson/status/1800530058576273582
"Your support is unmatched!"

========

UEFA has announced that more detailed VAR explanations will be part of officiating changes introduced at Euro 24, in an attempt to improve clarity around decisions.

Big screens in stadiums will be used to communicate the reasoning behind decisions made, with far more specifics than fans across Europe have grown used to.

For instance, if a handball has been committed, the screen will explain why the decision has been made. If, for instance, a player’s arm has been judged to be in an unnatural position.

Americans aren't good at being anything other than favorites on the world stage.

Not American soccer fans, but Americans.

View attachment 4490
Will Jeanes
@will_jeanes

Cristiano Ronaldo has now scored more goals for Portugal after turning 30 than Pele scored for Brazil in his entire career (78 v 77).
I'd be curious to see how prime Pele (or any historical great actually) would perform with today's training methods, fitness, and field conditions.

Not taking away from either, Pele is still the GOAT for me, just made me think about the o30 aspect.

View attachment 4490
Will Jeanes
@will_jeanes

Cristiano Ronaldo has now scored more goals for Portugal after turning 30 than Pele scored for Brazil in his entire career (78 v 77).
I'd be curious to see how prime Pele (or any historical great actually) would perform with today's training methods, fitness, and field conditions.

Not taking away from either, Pele is still the GOAT for me, just made me think about the o30 aspect.
That’s absolutely part of it, still a fascinating stat imo

View attachment 4490
Will Jeanes
@will_jeanes

I think CRo has likely played twice as many internationals as Pele did due to both elongated career and just simply more international games now a days.

For me and my evaluation of CRo is that I don't think his peak was as high as the all time all timers.

However, he held his peak longer than any one else in the history of the game. It is absolutely remarkable.

Messi would have to hold his current level for at least 3 more years to be in the conversation.

View attachment 4490
Will Jeanes
@will_jeanes

I think CRo has likely played twice as many internationals as Pele did due to both elongated career and just simply more international games now a days.
Even only counting o30 games?

View attachment 4490
Will Jeanes
@will_jeanes

let me check:

OK, CRo turned 30 early in 2015, for sake of ease I will assume all games played in 2015 were after he turned 30.

Since 2015, he has played in 89 international game (holy ****!)

Pele played in 92 international games his entire career.

View attachment 4490
Will Jeanes
@will_jeanes

let me check:

OK, CRo turned 30 early in 2015, for sake of ease I will assume all games played in 2015 were after he turned 30.

He was born in Feb, so safe assumption.

That's pretty nuts

View attachment 4490
Will Jeanes
@will_jeanes

let me check:

He was born in Feb, so safe assumption.

That's pretty nuts
yeah at worst 1 or 2 games off but the general flow holds.

The number of games that CRo played after 30 was similar to what Pele played in his entire career.

The fact that CRo outscored him during this period is a HUGE testament to the quality Ronaldo held through out his 30's.

Users who are viewing this thread