What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2019 (Spotify playlists in 1st post) (2 Viewers)

oh! it's out? will be listening immediately after RR finishes- thanks.

but for now... spotify REALLY wants me to listen to Wiley... he's in just about every spotify playist for me- and this time with special guest performer and grime legend, idris elba. 
I am into it a more as it goes on, but man they started with the absolute worst song they could have. - it really left a sour taste in my mouth. 

El Floppo said:
didn't grab me at first listen, tbh- a little too "indie" with the sound for my mood. (r&b lite with keyboards) :shrug:  will definitely listen again though, in case the mood was wrong.
Harmony Hall hasn't grabbed me at all. He's used the lyric itself before on Modern Vampires Of The City. "I don't want to live like this, but I don't want to die," IIRC. 

But the piano bridge just grabbed me.     

It’s pointless. This band has too much money for studio time. 
No band has ever left a fan base as longing as Weezer did with its first two albums. 

Just sad, and I'll never not love them, but that is absolutely pointless.  
I feel like there's an inside joke in this- that they'll tell us to play it backwards at 70% speed and it'll be the secret to the universe.. or at least something- dunno- interesting.

I feel like there's an inside joke in this- that they'll tell us to play it backwards at 70% speed and it'll be the secret to the universe.. or at least something- dunno- interesting.
I think a long time ago, Rivers got either democratic with or turned on his fan base and social media requests have amped that up. 

Still, I've heard three or four songs, and they're good renditions, but as Nigel said, pointless.  

Pinkerton was the end of the creative genius for them, and it's sad, because they were truly unique.  

I still at least appreciate and respect the Green Album and Maladroit, though. 

Cross-posting threads! Badfinger!  

I think a long time ago, Rivers got either democratic with or turned on his fan base and social media requests have amped that up. 

Still, I've heard three or four songs, and they're good renditions, but as Nigel said, pointless.  

Pinkerton was the end of the creative genius for them, and it's sad, because they were truly unique.  

I still at least appreciate and respect the Green Album and Maladroit, though. 

Cross-posting threads! Badfinger!  
#truth

Front Porch - Joy Williams

I wish the Civil Wars would get back together, but she’s pretty damn good solo too.

Last edited by a moderator:
El Floppo said:
is anybody liking these weezer exact covers? 
I didn't realize initially they were exact covers. Thinking on it for a second, I love it this way.

Way more fun than the tired and cliched "our take on _________". I think it's fun and not taking themselves too seriously. Basically - Weezer.

I think it's an interesting statement on music these days. They know nobody is going to buy it with all the streaming now. It's basically a playlist. And maybe they're out of ideas. 

Any great way on Spotify to keep track of the new albums that fit your tastes?  Somewhere in between release radar and new releases.  I would like to get into albums as they come out, but clicking through every release radar song is tedious especially when half of them are just singles anyway.

Any great way on Spotify to keep track of the new albums that fit your tastes?  Somewhere in between release radar and new releases.  I would like to get into albums as they come out, but clicking through every release radar song is tedious especially when half of them are just singles anyway.
It’s out there but I always just kind of happen upon it. It’s also the same albums they plug into your rr 

Clicking through RR is tedious? 

Have you used the Browse/Discover feature? Gives a series of "because you listened to X, here are a dozen albums/bands that are similar. I generally hit that up midweek. It's not necessarily new stuff, but at least gives you a bunch of stuff that you have a good chance of liking. I'll generally read through several of them and then find a couple albums that keep popping up.

Clicking through RR is tedious? 

Have you used the Browse/Discover feature? Gives a series of "because you listened to X, here are a dozen albums/bands that are similar. I generally hit that up midweek. It's not necessarily new stuff, but at least gives you a bunch of stuff that you have a good chance of liking. I'll generally read through several of them and then find a couple albums that keep popping up.
yes, I don't really feel like clicking on each link of each song to figure out whether there is a new album and I don't always have time each week before RR resets.  I use browse/discover, but like you say, it is not necessarily new stuff, so I want an easy way to curate new albums that I would like.  I guess I could keep a running playlist for RR and transfer the list there each week so I can go back and check stuff out in more detail.  I am particularly busy at this time of the year, so I want to try not to miss stuff.

January has been pretty thin, at least on the albums front.   Two I've liked that haven't been mentioned yet.

Mystery Hour by Pavo Pavo slots somewhere in between Beach Boys and Beatles in the record rack.  The songs manage to be both unconventional and catchy as hell.  There's always something interesting going on, whether it be melody, harmonies, instrumentation or production flourishes.

Remind Me Tomorrow by Sharon Van Etten.  The electronics are a departure from her previous folkier stuff but the songwriting and singing is still top notch.

yes, I don't really feel like clicking on each link of each song to figure out whether there is a new album and I don't always have time each week before RR resets.  I use browse/discover, but like you say, it is not necessarily new stuff, so I want an easy way to curate new albums that I would like.  I guess I could keep a running playlist for RR and transfer the list there each week so I can go back and check stuff out in more detail.  I am particularly busy at this time of the year, so I want to try not to miss stuff.
Dunno what to say. I use the RR and playlist any song I like (see the first post of this thread for mine and other playlists).  Sometimes they're singles and sometimes they're from albums. When i think to check from that playlist if there's a new album for one of the songs, or if I've read somewhere or somebody in here mentions a new album is out, I check it out. That isn't exactly taking time out of my day. Listen...click....done. or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do?

doing a spotify daily mix plunge today. love these.

this one (#4) is mostly aussie- so many good albums last year (and before):

mini skirt

royal headache

amyl and the sniffers

cash savage and the last drinks

white blanks

the ruminaters

drunk mums

pissed idiots

hideous sun demon

twerps

cable ties

gooch palms

eddy current supression ring (first post-punk revival aussie band I stumbled onto a bunch of years ago- still love them)

rolling blackouts coastal fever

west thebarton

.... just goes on and on...

a lot of spotify RR of interest this week, including a bunch of albums!:

Beirut (new album)

GBV (new album)

Interpol

King Gizzard etc

Bob Mould

FEWS

Low (new album)

Soccer Mommy

Circa Waves

Chemical Brothers

White Denim

Cherry Glazerr (new album)

Craig Finn

Foals

Sneaks

naked giants (new album)

The Specials (album- not sure if new or re-release)

Low (new album)
Thanks for posting. Seriously? They put out one what is widely considered one of the best albums of 2018. I gave it a listen and liked it, but I like Low's oeuvre, which I just got into like a year and a half ago.    

Beirut (new album)

GBV (new album)

Interpol

King Gizzard etc

Bob Mould

FEWS

Low (new album)

Soccer Mommy

Circa Waves

Chemical Brothers

White Denim

Cherry Glazerr (new album)

Craig Finn

Foals

Sneaks

naked giants (new album)

The Specials (album- not sure if new or re-release)
I guess I don't understand my release radar.  There is a ton of stuff on there that's been out for a while.  What am I doing wrong?

King Gizzard and the LIzard Wizard on my RR this week... Beach Slang too. A bunch of others I am looking forward too.  Good week.

I'll get stuff too that was already released in the last couple weeks, and often on previous RRs. 
Thanks for navigating Spotify, El Floppo for those of us a little out of touch with using the software capabilities of it. I've found out that La Dispute, Ghostface, Low, People Under The Stairs, and others have RRs on Spotify.  

Thanks for navigating Spotify, El Floppo for those of us a little out of touch with using the software capabilities of it. I've found out that La Dispute, Ghostface, Low, People Under The Stairs, and others have RRs on Spotify.  
I don't understand this... those artists have their own RRs? or their stuff has appeared on your RR? If the former- how do we access that?

I don't understand this... those artists have their own RRs? or their stuff has appeared on your RR? If the former- how do we access that?
No, just saying what turned up on my RR. 

Sorry. I just hope to be up on music this year.  The People Under The Stairs song is awesome.  

No, just saying what turned up on my RR. 

Sorry. I just hope to be up on music this year.  The People Under The Stairs song is awesome.  
:thumbup:

I got excited for a sec there... what would IDLES RR look like! (probably a lot like mine).

RR is pretty fun, but hit or miss some weeks. I've found the Discover Weekly playlist on Mondays even better (mixing old stuff in). and I love hitting up my Daily Mixes. I've said it many times, but spotify has been a game-changer for this previously retired music nerd..

:thumbup:

I got excited for a sec there... what would IDLES RR look like! (probably a lot like mine).

RR is pretty fun, but hit or miss some weeks. I've found the Discover Weekly playlist on Mondays even better (mixing old stuff in). and I love hitting up my Daily Mixes. I've said it many times, but spotify has been a game-changer for this previously retired music nerd..
Yeah, thanks for pointing out the function. It led me to bands I really like that have new releases. Sorry for the confusion. I'm so out of touch I got lapped. :)

IDLES. I think of that song from the past year every so often where they say, " If you talked to me the way you talk to yourself..." I have to remember that.  

Thanks for posting. Seriously? They put out one what is widely considered one of the best albums of 2018. I gave it a listen and liked it, but I like Low's oeuvre, which I just got into like a year and a half ago.    
errr.. just got there... this a hop hop guy using the name Low. pretty weak stuff to my non-expert ears.

that gbv double album came out today and is really good on first listen

never really listened to rival sons but that new one sounded real nice

that gbv double album came out today and is really good on first listen

never really listened to rival sons but that new one sounded real nice
did you check out space gun last year? I've yet to dive into this one- lots of albums out this week I want to take the time to listen to.

I feel like everything they do is satisfying in a consistent GBV way... hasn't really elevated in decades for me. but even if plateaued, the view is pretty nice from up there.

Users who are viewing this thread