What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official wnba thread*** (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I don't watch any kind of basketball but
I posted a story of Diana Turassi punching Kesley Plum in the stomach her rookie year.
I remember reading a story about her not liking Clark for ???? reason so either this is some sort of rookie "hazing", she can't control her emotions or she's just kind of a terrible person. The trurh is probably somewhere in the middle.
"I don't watch any kind of basketball but"
Not singling you out (I appreciate you just admitting it). That sums up a lot of what's going on right now.

People got up in arms before the season when Diana Taurasi explained exactly what was about to happen with Caitin. Here's the quote.

"WNBA veteran Diana Taurasi came under fire ahead of the 2024 season for her comments surrounding No. 1 overall pick Caitlin Clark. In short, Taurasi argued that Clark would struggle in her first season with the Indiana Fever.

“Look, SVP, reality is coming,” Taurasi told ESPN's Scott Van Pelt about Clark in early April. “There’s levels to this thing. And that’s just life. We all went through it. You see it on the NBA side, and you’re going to see it on this side. You look superhuman playing against 18-year-olds, but you’re going to (be playing against) some grown women that have been playing professional basketball for a long time.” "

Somehow that got interpreted as DT not liking Clark.

It seems like the players in the WNBA like Clark (except Reese and Carter of course).

What they don't like is dealing with the "I don't watch basketball, but" crowd.
Like anything, the devil is in the details, and what is that old expression...it's not what you say, but how you say it. Taurasi came off terribly when discussing Clark in those games late in the college year. Yes, she was correct in that the WNBA will be tougher than college, but she came off like someone who was praying that Clark would instantly fail. That is why she got so much blowback.

And I think this idea that everyone loves Clark because she is white is way overblown. I am sure there are some late comers who are rooting for her just for the reason, just like I am sure there are some later comers who are rooting against her because she is white, but she is not the first white woman to be a college star. Far from it. I think Nick Wright said it well recently when he said she has captured the country's attention because she looked like a female Steph Curry, someone who could pull up from anywhere once she passes half court and nail a 3. People love to be entertained, and a player who can make crazy 3s, like Steph could and still can, are fun to watch.
I watched most of the late tournament games on the BIrd and Taurasi broadcast. I guess I wasn't looking for Clark hate from her, but I don't recall any of it.
That's all I've heard and then pre-draft stuff that go quoted. I'm open to any clips of it, but I haven't seen any.

Although if it's "in the tone" instead of the words actually said, we can just always hear what we want to hear.

Reese's technical foul rescinded by WNBA overnight. Guess she had to work harder on being more bad.
As much as I despise that punk, it didn't look like she did anything but give him a little hand gesture. Of course the tape shows her walking away so not clear if she said something or not. Still, she's on her way to being the Draymond Green of the WNBA which makes me want to throat punch her. Or just give her a stern talking to since I'm not into violence against women. 😑

Enter Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman into the discussion, as she commented on what she would have done if Carter fouled her in that moment.

"If I were Caitlin Clark, I would've punched her in the face," Lieberman said on Run It Back on FanDuel TV. "I'm from New York, and I would have told her to, '(expletive) off.' That would actually cure the problem."

*Rodman excluded
Lot's of good potential for a "Bad Girls" narrative on the Sky ala those Pistons teams he was on. Got Carter and Reese. Just need Cardoso to start shoving some folks

There's been some talk in here about how aggressive play and cheap fouls are horrible basketball and off-putting to watch, but the Bad Boy Pistons were one of my favorite teams. They make documentaries about them. They are legends in Detroit. I like a little roughneck with my sports, but I'm a high-T alpha dog of a man, so I can't relate to the snowflakery and wispy share your feelings guy who don't want poor Clark to get pushed.
I have zero problem with a hard foul going to the hoop....or running over her going through a screen or something....going out of your way and delivering a blindside cheap shot 90 feet from the basket out in the middle of nowhere is a totally different story....especially when it is celebrated like she did something great...and especially when you run away like little cowards afterwards....little b!tch move from start to finish....

Man, this isolated event in sports that we've never seen anywhere else in the history of athletics really has you triggered. I think it's great you're in here talking about this how this traumatic event has impacted you as that's the first step in getting the help you need to heal and move on.
May I ask politely why you are defending an obvious cheap shot and the celebration that occurred after it?

Seems odd imo

I certainly did not defend it. I'm just not apoplectic about it. It happened, the league is dealing with it, I hope this isn't a reoccurring thing that Clark has to deal with.

The world and hisotry of sports is FULL of incidents of poor sportsmanship and cheap shots. I don't like it, but I don't clutch my pearls, wag my finger and ANNOUNCE that I'm never watching a sport again because of it.

And if I cite an example I get admonished for using a "strawman". It's so dumb. We didn't stop watching the NBA when Kermitt Washington almost killed Rudy Tomjonavich or when Draymond Green started kicking guys in the balls. Did you quit watching the NFL when Gronk cheap shotted Tavarious White? Hell, I posted a story of Diana Turassi punching Kesley Plum in the stomach her rookie year. There are countless examples of cheap shots in sports that are still thriving. Not saying it's right nor am I defending it but my god, the people screaming about Clark getting hip checked are ridiculous. Clark isn't in the hospital. But the level of outrage over this is silly, especially since 99% of the people frothing at the mouth don't watch WNBA.
No one is pearl clutching nearly as much as you want them to be. I think most here are saying people didn't watch the sport in the first place and now that they have some momentum and a marketable player, we'd rather watch basketball and not WWE. But you do you and keep up the over-dramatic narrative I guess.

Lol @ WWE. 2 seconds of a flagrant foul happening and it's WWE. Glad to see you're still the same after the political forum closed.
I've said all along it's damn near unwatchable because of the constant holding and grabbing and that kind of nonsense is way more of a problem than Reese and Kennedy being punks.

Ok, then they lost a viewer here. I get it. The WNBA is not for you. You much prefer the aesthetics and art that is Georgia Tech offensive football. No grabbing or holding there to harm you.

Also no winning.
Are you ever not a tool?

If I were a tool, I'd report this but I don't care. It's you. I'm glad you don't like me. I'd think something was wrong with me if you did.
You could have just said no.

Seems worthy of hype. She may end up being average in WNBA but certainly worthy of the hype coming in.
I agree that she deserves some hype but not to the level she has been at for the last two years. I don't think anybody deserves the type of hype she got. Watching ESPN you would have thought she was the only athlete out there for almost two years. She must have a great publicist.

She’s the NCAA ALL TIME LEADING SCORER.

A white, black, yellow, green, girl, boy, hermaphrodite, cat or dog would get the same hype.

Her game is more appealing than most other players because it’s more skill than iso or big girl post game stuff. She is a very poor man’s Steph Curry.

Saying that “you would have thought she was the only athlete out there for almost two years.” is simply not true.

Angel Reese also got TONS OF COVERAGE, rightfully so.

That because any halfway decent modern male player is in the NBA after 2 years.
WNBA draft requires age of 22 years.
That should definitely help and certainly plays a part in the popularity of this rookie class.
Clark-Reese-Cardoso-Brink captured the nation's attention for 2 seasons.

I know for me, my interest in the men's tourney goes away the minute UNC is out, and certainly this season when it was obvious that nobody was beating UConn.
Gravitated to the women's tournament and just liked it better.

Having players that have captured the nation's attention for a couple of seasons before they hit the league certainly helps. The NBA obviously does fine now with 1-and-done (or the no college before), but the college-made stars from Magic-Bird to the mid-90's certainly helped it blow up back then.

Seems worthy of hype. She may end up being average in WNBA but certainly worthy of the hype coming in.
I agree that she deserves some hype but not to the level she has been at for the last two years. I don't think anybody deserves the type of hype she got. Watching ESPN you would have thought she was the only athlete out there for almost two years. She must have a great publicist.

A white, black, yellow, green, girl, boy, hermaphrodite, cat or dog would get the same hype.

Her game is more appealing than most other players because it’s more skill than iso or big girl post game stuff. She is a very poor man’s Steph Curry.

Saying that “you would have thought she was the only athlete out there for almost two years.” is simply not true.

That should definitely help and certainly plays a part in the popularity of this rookie class.

I know for me, my interest in the men's tourney goes away the minute UNC is out, and certainly this season when it was obvious that nobody was beating UConn.

Having players that have captured the nation's attention for a couple of seasons before they hit the league certainly helps. The NBA obviously does fine now with 1-and-done (or the no college before), but the college-made stars from Magic-Bird to the mid-90's certainly helped it blow up back then.

I finished 3rd in a good sized women's NCAA bracket contest. It's a crowning achievement for me.

Can't wait for Paige Buckets to join the W. We're just getting started on the fun, fellas.

I finished 3rd in a good sized women's NCAA bracket contest. It's a crowning achievement for me.

Can't wait for Paige Buckets to join the W. We're just getting started on the fun, fellas.
Stop strawlighting!!

Did I do that right?

Stop strawlighting!!

Did I do that right?

Do you always have to be a tool?

Stop strawlighting!!

Did I do that right?

This is rhetorical, right?

Stop strawlighting!!

Did I do that right?

This is rhetorical, right?

Gosh damn it, now I have to look up what THAT means.

• Laughing
Reactions: SWC

Stop strawlighting!!

Did I do that right?

Pearlmanning.

Stop strawlighting!!

Did I do that right?

Pearlmanning.
Will take over manclutching. Nttawwt

Watching the Storm curb stomp the Mercury.

If Ezi is going to play like this, the Storm seem like a title contender.
Don’t you work 22 hours a day? Where do you find the time to watch all these games? ;)
DVR, and the games go pretty quick. SInce the refs let them play, it's not a bunch of time wasted watching free throws.

I can plow through 2 of them pretty easy cooking/eating dinner at night. And many games I don't watch all the way through if it seems over or I gotta get to bed.

Last edited:
For example, last night I couldn't watch A'ja finish off the league's first ever 35-10 with 5 steals.

And she even had to leave for little bit to stop the bleeding on the crown of her nose.
Don't worry, for you more sensitive fellas, no real hard fouls. Just a couple of ill-timed errant-contact shots to the same spot. Well, probably not really errant, but they seemed like it to me.

Last edited:

I’ll defer my fun to you.

Sick of hearing about this Clark deal everywhere. Is it any different than a middling business hiring a hotshot college grad to save the company? Of course there will be jealousy. In the end, all will benefit.

I have stayed out of this thread recently mostly because I was interested in the business side of the sport only and there is not much chatter about that.

But as an old school fan of wrestling, the techniques being used (whether intentional or unintentional) to draw attention to the WNBA are amazing. Brink's comments, when edited a certain way, are a heel promo that even the WWE would be scared to give any more.

I have to give them credit, if they were starved for attention before this year (which they were), they are going to be feasting for a long time. I had originally gauged that the attention would subside by mid season but they easily have the juice to last the entire season I think. I will be interested to see how this all plays out business wise.

Last edited:
From the Uproxx interview

What part do you want to play in that?

I could go way deeper into this, but I would just say growing the fan base to support all types of players. I will acknowledge there’s a privilege for the younger white players of the league. That’s not always true, but there is a privilege that we have inherently, and the privilege of appearing feminine. Some of my teammates are more masculine. Some of my teammates go by they/them pronouns. I want to bring more acceptance to that and not just have people support us because of the way that we look. I know I can feed into that because I like to dress femininely, but that’s just me. I want everyone to be accepted — not just paid attention to because of how they look.

"I will acknowledge there’s a privilege for the younger white players of the league," Brink said. "That’s not always true, but there is a privilege that we have inherently, and the privilege of appearing feminine"

Oh my
She’s good, she’s good, she’s good and then oof.
...a brief shining moment...:

Auriemma interview on Dan Patrick this morning, boys. he talks WNBA from the perspective of a coach who has coached half the players in the league.

Watching the Storm curb stomp the Mercury.

If Ezi is going to play like this, the Storm seem like a title contender.
Don’t you work 22 hours a day? Where do you find the time to watch all these games? ;)
DVR, and the games go pretty quick. SInce the refs let them play, it's not a bunch of time wasted watching free throws.

I can plow through 2 of them pretty easy cooking/eating dinner at night. And many games I don't watch all the way through if it seems over or I gotta get to bed.
What is the average time of a WNBA game? I couldn't find it on Google. Google says NBA is 2.5 hours. But I bet that's a little high if you time it starting from tip off. For example, most 7:00 pm games won't tip until about 7:10. And I think many of those games are done by 9:30.

The women's game probably isn't shorter because of free throws, though. In the NBA, teams average a free throw every 2.22 minutes. In the WNBA last year it was 2.17 minutes. And there are actually more free throws as a percentage of FGA in the WNBA (27%) than the NBA (24%) this past season. The 10 minute quarters are probably the biggest reason for a shorter viewing time.

Watching basketball on DVR is kind of annoying because it is hard to predict how much time will pass between one stoppage of play and resuming play. Sometimes it is 5 seconds and other times much longer. During two free throws, I will usually jump forward 45 seconds and sometimes that doesn't even get me back to regular play. Football is great for this because once a play ends, I can jump ahead 30 seconds and be ready for the next play.

Holy hell, A'Ja is something else.
And so is Arike. What a game.
i got to see her play high school ball here in milwaukee and she was worth the price of admission and then some take that to the bank brochachos
Arike's brother played football at Wisconsin and in the NFL.
oh yeah well her father served in the nigerian military and her mother played softball at depaul in chicago take that to the wikipiedia bank nabrolean brontoparte

"I will acknowledge there’s a privilege for the younger white players of the league," Brink said. "That’s not always true, but there is a privilege that we have inherently, and the privilege of appearing feminine"

Well.......that's one way to remove the target from Clark's back. Jesus, Cam.

• Laughing
I'll admit I bought into the Clark hype at the end of the tourney and watched a couple games start-to-finish and was generally entertained, but I can't get with the WNBA.

I don't pretend to know anything about this subject that Brink is talking about.

I'll just say the reaction on the WNBA subreddit seems overwhelmingly positive about her comments.

Alright, in the full context, I don't think that's too bad. Might not have used the word 'masculine' there, though. Yikes.
Being charitable, I think there's a good chance that she didn't mean it the way it comes off in writing. I imagine she was probably acknowledging two separate privileges she has in the area of general popularity/fan support - being a white player (as opposed to her black teammates) and being more feminine (as opposed to her teammates with other gender identities) - but just awkwardly seemed to combine things by the way she stated it.

Oh no. She didn't really say that, did she? This calls for an off the ball flagrant 3 elbow to the spleen.

I don't pretend to know anything about this subject that Brink is talking about.

I'll just say the reaction on the WNBA subreddit seems overwhelmingly positive about her comments.

Alright, in the full context, I don't think that's too bad. Might not have used the word 'masculine' there, though. Yikes.
Being charitable, I think there's a good chance that she didn't mean it the way it comes off in writing. I imagine she was probably acknowledging two separate privileges she has in the area of general popularity/fan support - being a white player (as opposed to her black teammates) and being more feminine (as opposed to her teammates with other gender identities) - but just awkwardly seemed to combine things by the way she stated it.

Right, I think it came out a little awkward but reading the full quotes, she's advocating for inclusion of everybody while suggesting that not all W players look like her. "I want everyone to be accepted - not just paid attention to because of how they look".

I think her heart is definitely in the right place. She's 22. Lord knows I didn't have it all together at that age. God forbid somebody pull up a transcript of the idiotic things I said back then.

I got to see Brink play her senior year and walked from one side of the court to other during warmups very close to where she was practicing. Amazing seeing her up close as I don't encounter many women that are 6'4".

Her team was playing our local HS and by the end of the 1st half, her team had 22 points. She scored 19 of those. I'm pretty sure I could have suited up and had as much of an impact as her teammates. However, she was in foul trouble early in the 2nd and my buddy's daughter (who was a freshman then) played amazing defense on Brink and got her to foul out. That was the ballgame. Our team was a TEAM. They recently won the 6A HS championship and my buddy's daughter is now playing ball at the University of Portland.

I've probably told that story before. I don't really have many close encounters with greatness.

Last edited:

Right, I think it came out a little awkward but reading the full quotes, she's advocating for inclusion of everybody while suggesting that not all W players look like her. "I want everyone to be accepted - not just paid attention to because of how they look".

I think her heart is definitely in the right place. She's 22. Lord knows I didn't have it all together at that age. God forbid somebody pull up a transcript of the idiotic things I said back then.
And I would argue that a responsible writer doing that interview would realize how that quote would read and ask for clarification before printing it.

I don't think you have to be charitable to understand her point. Its just that she's acknowledging out loud what most people are uncomfortable discussing.

I'll give an example - when I hosted a watch party for the NCAA final four women's volleyball tournament last year (my alma Wisconsin is a perineal powerhouse and made the final four), guess what most of the guys are all focused on? Of course I get it, but is that hard for a group of grown men to watch these incredible athletes (who are less than half our age) play their sport without constant comments about their sexual appearance? These athletes aren't dressed up for a photo shoot, they're competing at the highest level of their game and yet many spectators can't help but focus on the masculine features and sexuality of the athletes.

• Thanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread