What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022-2023 Post Season FBG Subscriber Contest (1 Viewer)

With so many big multipliers in the coming weeks, aren't the points from week 1 pretty much irrelevant as long as you didn't lose any of your SB or championship round players?

With so many big multipliers in the coming weeks, aren't the points from week 1 pretty much irrelevant as long as you didn't lose any of your SB or championship round players?
I think every week is revelant. I think you really need to make a difference in the first two because many of the same players will be rostered in the last two.

That might be the case if there are a very few other people with the same two teams making the Super Bowl. But let's say there are 20 people who have the correct two teams in the Super Bowl. If you are competing against that many people, and probably some of them have the same final 6 players as you do, then early rounds points are critical. You want to be at or near the top of your Super Bowl class to have a good chance.

Wow, surprised to see that I am actually tied for 5th overall (and 1st in my Super Bowl 6 group) after week 1. I still probably have no shot because I'll only be at half strength next week, but this will at least keep me interested for another week.
Which team are you. Looks like most of the teams tied with you are in the same boat.

So looking at the #1 team if nuclear winter scores fbgs projections after week #2 he will be sitting at 297.94. My team will be sitting at 354.54 by projections. I might still be in shouting distance of some of the leaders after all.

Just a thought:

I see a lot of commentary about having teams with zeroes competing against teams with 6 players.

Y’all know it’s possible to score less with 6 players than a team with 3, right?

It’s still FF - some y’all’s players can and will poop the bed round 2. And some of those 3-4 player combos can and will blow up round 2.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy here, just keepin it real.
;)

Just a thought:

I see a lot of commentary about having teams with zeroes competing against teams with 6 players.

Y’all know it’s possible to score less with 6 players than a team with 3, right?

It’s still FF - some y’all’s players can and will poop the bed round 2. And some of those 3-4 player combos can and will blow up round 2.

;)

True. Anything can happen and nothing is guaranteed.
But having more players certainly helps.
Since we only chose 6 players per round, most people's choices are probably decent players.
But Keep in mind, sometimes even players like Kelce have an off week.
Not knowing what's going to happen is what makes it fun....

Good luck, Everyone! I'd love to see someone who has been active in the forum actually win it.

Just a thought:

;)
Yea that was my point in saying I might of overthought going with a guaranteed 6 players in 2nd round. If anyone of them score less than 10 I feel it would defeat the purpose of what I was trying to do. I could have went Cousins, Smith or even Miami QB and then could have had Burrows this week. Backed off that though because I thought Cincy was ripe for an upset.

Just a thought:

;)

Since we only chose 6 players per round, most people's choices are probably decent players.

Good luck, Everyone! I'd love to see someone who has been active in the forum actually win it.

Kelce's worst week...11 pts x 2 = 22 points.

Adam Harstad team looking pretty sweet. Projections has him at 224.20 this week.
Then in the following 2 weeks he went with an all 6 from one team approach. Looks pretty good to me. Glad he's staff.

He'll get bulldozed by 3x and 5x QBs vs his kickers in the later rounds.
Also the possibility that KC loses a game, rendering his last bracket moot. ;)

Adam Harstad team looking pretty sweet. Projections has him at 224.20 this week.
Then in the following 2 weeks he went with an all 6 from one team approach. Looks pretty good to me. Glad he's staff.

What's fun about this year's playoff contest is how it seemed to some to be rather simple and short of strategy until we started discovering all the different approaches and possibilities. I thought I'd set a lineup in about a half hour, but spent about 4 hours working up my first draft. Then I tweaked it multiple times on multiple days before I felt good about it. I knowingly chose a couple players who statistically might not have been the strongest choice on their team, thinking that in the playoffs the usual #1 WR might draw more double coverage, which could make the #2 WR the beneficiary. Time will tell if that gamble pays off. If I hit on one of those, it might set me apart from the crowd.

Most entries probably went with 3 players each on 2 teams for the Super Bowl but some went 4-2 or even 6-0. Interesting to conteplate the odds of different approaches. It might be easier to only need to correctly pick 1 team that reaches the Super Bowl instead of 2, but contrast that with the reality that there will likely be some entries with two correct Super Bowl teams. If very few entries accurately predict the correct 2 Super Bowl teams, what are the odds of slotting some players from the eventual Super Bowl team in the Championship Round, thus giving a good chance to at least get some 3x points on the board? An unexpected but lopsided Super Bowl score could make that scenario viable. There are lots of possiblities.

It will be interesting looking back and validating or revising our strategies after we find out who wins and learn what the winning combinations were. Obviously getting the brackets right or almost right, and then having active players in the Super Bowl will be vital. But there are different positional strategies that may or may not pay off.

I don't miss the previous playoff format at all.

On the Harstad entry referenced above, note that he has all Philadelphia players in the Championship Round and all Kansas City players in the Super Bowl. That strategy eliminates the need to get all 4 Championship teams and both Super Bowl teams correct. It's an interesting approach that I had not thought of, and may just pay off if the Eagles score a lot of points in the 3rd around and the Chiefs do in the Super Bowl, regardless of who their opponents are!

Last edited:

What's fun about this year's playoff contest is how it seemed to some to be rather simple and short of strategy until we started discovering all the different approaches and possibilities. I thought I'd set a lineup in about a half hour, but spent about 4 hours working up my first draft. Then I tweaked it multiple times on multiple days before I felt good about it. I knowingly chose a couple players who statistically might not have been the strongest choice on their team, thinking that in the playoffs the usual #1 WR might draw more double coverage, which could make the #2 WR the beneficiary. Time will tell if that gamble pays off. If I hit on one of those, it might set me apart from the crowd.

Most entries probably went with 3 players each on 2 teams for the Super Bowl but some went 4-2 or even 6-0. Interesting to conteplate the odds of different approaches. It might be easier to only need to correctly pick 1 team that reaches the Super Bowl instead of 2, but contrast that with the reality that there will likely be some entries with two correct Super Bowl teams. If very few entries accurately predict the correct 2 Super Bowl teams, what are the odds of slotting some players from the eventual Super Bowl team in the Championship Round, thus giving a good chance to at least get some 3x points on the board? An unexpected but lopsided Super Bowl score could make that scenario viable. There are lots of possiblities.

It will be interesting looking back and validating or revising our strategies after we find out who wins and learn what the winning combinations were. Obviously getting the brackets right or almost right, and then having active players in the Super Bowl will be vital. But there are different positional strategies that may or may not pay off.

I don't miss the previous playoff format at all.
I miss it but I love survivor formats and salary cap formats.

This format still seems simple and short on format. Pretty much laid it out on day one and so far still playing that out. Picking the right bracket is the most important aspect and even more important than the old contest where you could hedge mostly on one SB team. That will only work here if there's shut out in the SB. Too many gunslingers and lack of 85 Bears defenses for that. Even in that situation, the shutout QB will outscore player #6 unless the QB is injured.

The likely EV and strategy discussion should be based on pivoting off favorites to underdogs, not taking stupid risks on 6 Eagles in the SB to all outscored Burrow, Allen, Mahommes. Even if you do that it still should be paint by numbers after settling on the teams.

I know there are many strategies, but if the SB is between BUF/KC/PHI/SF, I would bet the winner will have both QB's. The only way to win with all 6 players from the same team is if the other team is someone like JAX or NYG.

Just a thought:

;)

Will do!

And I gotta say I love this format compared to previous years.

Same, even if I blew it this year. I hope they keep it
They will because it caters to the need of instant gratification and people who can't be bother to spend time developing a strategy for the rules. I wouldn't be surprised to the the main contest change to follow this trend.
Naa I don't see that happening.
I dont think Joe ever realized how big a draw the subscriber contest is until the last few years.

The only reason I have subscribed for the last 6 years is for the subscriber contest.

They will because it caters to the need of instant gratification and people who can't be bother to spend time developing a strategy for the rules. I wouldn't be surprised to the the main contest change to follow this trend.
I found it to require significant strategy. It’s just a different system than a budgeted one.

in this format, the capital you’re spending is roster space rather than a dollar amount - you still have to get brackets right, and factor the multipliers.

I found it to be a significant challenge - it felt too easy. Then a couple of my brackets fell apart and I realized too late how difficult it actually was.

I found it to require significant strategy. It’s just a different system than a budgeted one.

in this format, the capital you’re spending is roster space rather than a dollar amount - you still have to get brackets right, and factor the multipliers.

I found it to be a significant challenge - it felt too easy. Then a couple of my brackets fell apart and I realized too late how difficult it actually was.
People are overthinking the strategy. The only reason there weren't tons of submissions with 6 QB's in week 1 was because people weren't sure if Tyler Huntley and Skylar Thompson were starting.

People are overthinking the strategy. The only reason there weren't tons of submissions with 6 QB's in week 1 was because people weren't sure if Tyler Huntley and Skylar Thompson were starting.
See, I did really well week 1

I just have half a team weeks 2 & 3

And my brackets are schitzo because I have Bengals heavy one week then Bills heavy the next. Only it’s weeks 3 & 4, not 2 & 3. :doh:

I'm confused by this continued claim....Didn't we see that the losing QBs strategy would have scored ~180 (I didn't see an update after Dak's numbers) whereas the max theorhetical score was ~215?

I'm confused by this continued claim....Didn't we see that the losing QBs strategy would have scored ~180 (I didn't see an update after Dak's numbers) whereas the max theorhetical score was ~215?
Yea I'm with your VBD - I nearly went with Cousins AND Jones because I couldn't decide who would advance (I figured Cousins wouldn't be primetime Cousins...boy was I wrong there). Going forward if this format stays I'm taking those coin flip team QB's round 1, so at least I know I get SOME points from them for the contest. Ideally an optimal lineup for me given the coin flip theory would have been Dak, Brady, Cousins, Jones, Lawrence, Herbert....and then in round 2 go with skill players from the teams I expected to advance. Live and learn...

No one in FBG brass has ever suggested significantly altering the format of the regular season contest, and I wouldn't expect anyone to in the future.

No one in FBG brass has ever suggested significantly altering the format of the regular season contest, and I wouldn't expect anyone to in the future.
That's awesome news.

I didn't find it to require nearly as much strategy.

Before you had to weigh in the positional scoring relative to the cap. Here you just pick the highest scoring players and that's usually going to be the QBs.

Before you had to weigh out if you wanted Hurts and Goedert vs. Sanders and Brown on your roster if you were expecting Philly in the SB, now you selected them all and pick which week you want to use them.

Before, like the subscriber contest, you had to weigh in the weekly cuts and adjust you roster to that. And this I agree the year there were no cuts wasn't good but they fixed that with percentage cuts in both contests.

I get why they made the change. There's a reason why most FF drafts are snake drafts and not auction. It caters to swipe left or right.

FWIW my “I hope they keep it” comment only applied to this post-season contest.
Apologies if that was unclear from my post - I figured in the context of this specific topic it was apparent.

This was a fun format change to mix it up for the playoffs.

Apologies if that was unclear from my post - I figured in the context of this specific topic it was apparent.

Agreed. Love the regular season contest as is and love this new version of the post season contest!
when the NFL playoffs come around, I’m mentally DONE with fantasy type stuff (besides looking at offseason dynasty moves, rankings, etc) so i personally don’t want to invest much mental energy on a contest at this point. So this new change was great for a simple 5-10 minutes of planning, tinkering and then submit and DONE. Perfect for what I wanted to invest with a dart throw chance of winning some mad money.

Agreed. Love the regular season contest as is and love this new version of the post season contest!
when the NFL playoffs come around, I’m mentally DONE with fantasy type stuff (besides looking at offseason dynasty moves, rankings, etc) so i personally don’t want to invest much mental energy on a contest at this point. So this new change was great for a simple 5-10 minutes of planning, tinkering and then submit and DONE. Perfect for what I wanted to invest with a dart throw chance of winning some mad money.
The fatigue is real.

Before you had to weigh in the positional scoring relative to the cap. Here you just pick the highest scoring players and that's usually going to be the QBs.

Before you had to weigh out if you wanted Hurts and Goedert vs. Sanders and Brown on your roster if you were expecting Philly in the SB, now you selected them all and pick which week you want to use them.

Before, like the subscriber contest, you had to weigh in the weekly cuts and adjust you roster to that. And this I agree the year there were no cuts wasn't good but they fixed that with percentage cuts in both contests.

I get why they made the change. There's a reason why most FF drafts are snake drafts and not auction. It caters to swipe left or right.
I disliked the old format because the strategy was oversimplified.
Pick your 2 super bowl teams. Preferably at least one playing WC weekend. Load up with 12-14 players.
Pick a handful of wild card players, mostly scrubs like Will Dissly or Damarcus Robinson, you think may advance and have a couple lucky scores.

The new strategy makes you consider all 4 weeks of the playoffs, not just WC & super bowl.

Pick your 2 super bowl teams. Preferably at least one playing WC weekend. Load up with 12-14 players.
Pick a handful of wild card players, mostly scrubs like Will Dissly or Damarcus Robinson, you think may advance and have a couple lucky scores.

The new strategy makes you consider all 4 weeks of the playoffs, not just WC & super bowl.
Agreed - and the multipliers require a ton of strategy.

The multipliers require zero strategy. Cram the highest scoring players into the highest multiplier. I you want some uniquness pivot off one or two of those players to other reasonable options.

The multipliers require zero strategy. Cram the highest scoring players into the highest multiplier. I you want some uniquness pivot off one or two of those players to other reasonable options.
It requires guessing who’s going to make it that far.

And unless you’ve got a crystal ball, you don’t know if it’s gonna be a CMC day or a Purdy day, IF the Niners make it that far, for example.

I am going to follow this strategy throughout, to see how it plays out. Week 1 would have been 150.40 points for the 6 losing QB's. That's an average of over 25 points per player. Many were saying the losing QB's wouldn't score that high. Just so you know, the highest RB for the year was Ekeler at 19.1, WR was Jefferson at 21.6, and TE was Kelce at 21.8. We still have 3 weeks left.

It requires guessing who’s going to make it that far.

And unless you’ve got a crystal ball, you don’t know if it’s gonna be a CMC day or a Purdy day, IF the Niners make it that far, for example.
That's guessing , not strategy. Obviously old and new formats required bracket prediction. I would say even moreso under the previous format because you needed bullets in each round to get round. It's very possible to win this only predicting the path of 4 teams where previously that was not likely to work.

I am going to follow this strategy throughout, to see how it plays out. Week 1 would have been 150.40 points for the 6 losing QB's. That's an average of over 25 points per player. Many were saying the losing QB's wouldn't score that high. Just so you know, the highest RB for the year was Ekeler at 19.1, WR was Jefferson at 21.6, and TE was Kelce at 21.8. We still have 3 weeks left.
Maybe my perspective is warped because I had Ekeler and Jefferson :).

Kidding aside I think it does make sense to start the evaluation with 6QBs but then you have to figure that a couple of them really are bums and will be outscored by the best skill position players.

Users who are viewing this thread