What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jordan Love, GB (1 Viewer)

By all accounts from camp, Love throws a good (if maybe not AR level) deep ball.

Yeah, I shouldn't have extrapolated his overall deep ball prowess from the whopping two I've seen. They have been pretty off, though. Watson had the DBs beat by a couple of steps both times. I hope that's not the story of the season. Don't get those shots too often.

Yeah, I've heard the Doubs chatter. Depends if Watson has improved his route running enough to get open, because I think that's what really drives whether you get the ball or not. Are you always open? Are the coaches drawing plays for you? All that stuff. . .

Jordan Love completed 15-of-27 passes for 245 yards and three touchdowns in the Packers’ 38-20, Week 1 win over the Bears.

The post-Aaron Rodgers Packers looked solid in their season debut, as Love, the newly minted starter, led the team on four touchdown drives on the day. Love first connected with Romeo Doubs in the back of the end zone for an eight-yard score to get things started, and would connect with Doubs on a four-yard score later in the day. His longest touchdown came on a 35-yard catch and run to Aaron Jones — who totaled 86 yards on two receptions, as Love and the Packers appeared completely in sync in their debut. Love will have some mid-QB2 upside next week against the Falcons.

- Rotoworld

Nice win and looked sharp at times. A few throws need to be cleaned up (a couple 3rd down misses to Reed towards the sidelines where he was open). But still a nice solid start to his career.
Made some really good 3rd down throws too...and the 2nd Doubs TD showed great trust and chemistry with doubs there.

Drafting a guy high and letting him watch, learn and develop without being asked to be the face of the franchise is probably how more teams should do it.
The problem is that “wastes” a few years of the rookie contract - which is huge from a cap perspective.
True. But it’s a bigger waste to turn out like Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold or Justin Fields. Or to set dumb expectations and chase a guy out of town (Trey Lance).

How do we feel now about Jordan Love short term and long term? The Packer offense is young but looks like there is potential with the weapons he has.

Love will be a bona fide top 10 QB for the next decade. dont forget, he missed a would-be TD with Musgrave that fell incomplete. then on another one Musgrave fell at the 10 but should have scored his mind was far out in front of his body he was jacked to score his first TD and got over his skiis. Love should've had at least 4 TDs on the day.
This is the last week to get Love on the cheap he'll be a premium waiver add next week. take a stab at it, grab him now.
I'm not worried about the low point total o/u for this game. it has the makings of a shootout.

Love will be a bona fide top 10 QB for the next decade. dont forget, he missed a would-be TD with Musgrave that fell incomplete. then on another one Musgrave fell at the 10 but should have scored his mind was far out in front of his body he was jacked to score his first TD and got over his skiis. Love should've had at least 4 TDs on the day.
This is the last week to get Love on the cheap he'll be a premium waiver add next week. take a stab at it, grab him now.
I'm not worried about the low point total o/u for this game. it has the makings of a shootout.
Good lord, is this Jordan's mom?

I mostly agree with that analysis. While watching the game, I thought Love looked average. He benefitted from the talents of Aaron Jones and a couple of broken plays that turned out well. I wasn't too impressed. I didn't think he looked bad, just not good. I sure didn't come away from the game thinking oh boy, another 15 years of top 5 QB play incoming for the Pack. I'm going to need to see more.

I was impressed with him. He looked like he put some nice touch on those throws. People always want to see the points first before they can see the talent.

Good lord, is this Jordan's mom?
or agent?

Put it this way: In his 1st real NFL start he looked as good if not better than Daniel Jones, who people have hyped as a Top 12 QB. He was asked to make progression reads and throw the ball intermediate to deep, he wasn't exactly "game managing" out there. Once they had a big lead they backed off.

I'm not saying Love is the 2nd coming, but he wasn't drunk Patrick Mahomes either. This guy could be a consistent 17-18 point performer for fantasy.

While none of them are close to Davante Adams skill wise; IMO once Watson comes back, this pass catching group is miles better than any group Rodgers every played with. I know I've been pounding the table on Jayden Reed since before the draft so admit my bias there, but Watson, Reed, and Musgrave are for real. They already shown a great amount and still have plenty of time to develop into even more. If you aren't buying Love on skill, I can't blame you. But if you aren't bumping him considering his situation.... I think you'll be missing out. While his performances have been nothing to laud over, he's also thrown 0 picks and only taken 2 sacks despite having the pocket crash on him more than a few times. He isn't winning you weeks yet, but he's also not losing them for you. I could see him being the non-sexy QB2 pick in SF leagues that regularly finishes as a low end QB1 because of his supporting cast. And with how GB operates, he'll likely be doing it for at least the next 5 years or so.

He did fine for fantasy purposes yesterday, but looked really bad in the 4th quarter. 0-6 in the 4th quarter, with most of them being uncatchable balls. That pass he threw directly to A.J. Terrell when the Pack were up 24-19 can never happen. I get that Terrell is elite, but he did not make a great break on the ball, Love literally threw it directly to him. That last series for the Pack was about as bad as it gets from the QB position. He had guys wide open that he missed by miles. He is young(ish), so I am not writing him off, especially once Jones and Watson are back. From a real football standpoint, he has a long way to go.

While none of them are close to Davante Adams skill wise; IMO once Watson comes back, this pass catching group is miles better than any group Rodgers every played with. I know I've been pounding the table on Jayden Reed since before the draft so admit my bias there, but Watson, Reed, and Musgrave are for real. They already shown a great amount and still have plenty of time to develop into even more. If you aren't buying Love on skill, I can't blame you. But if you aren't bumping him considering his situation.... I think you'll be missing out. While his performances have been nothing to laud over, he's also thrown 0 picks and only taken 2 sacks despite having the pocket crash on him more than a few times. He isn't winning you weeks yet, but he's also not losing them for you. I could see him being the non-sexy QB2 pick in SF leagues that regularly finishes as a low end QB1 because of his supporting cast. And with how GB operates, he'll likely be doing it for at least the next 5 years or so.
I don't know Rodgers had some pretty good guys to throw to in his career.

I still don't think Love looks very good. he misses a lot of really open wrs
Agreed. Play design around the GL has been carrying his fantasy value, but he's a big reason they lost to Atlanta, and pretty much anyone can have success against the Bears, like Baker Mayfield for instance.

In his defense, I'm really high on Watson, and think playing without him and Aaron Jones is asking a lot. That said, through 2 weeks I haven't seen much to suggest that he's good.

this pass catching group is miles better than any group Rodgers every played with
I get jokes

lol Rodgers had Adams, Nelson and Cobb in their primes for several years, and before that had Gregg Jennings and Donald Driver with Nelson/Cobb for multiple seasons.
Agree to disagree I guess, while "better by miles" was likely an overstatement on my part. IMO Cobb was the definition of mediocre and had one great season among 13 mostly forgettable ones. Jordy Nelson 2-3. Jennings 2-3. I should have remembered Driver as he was probably the most consistent high level one he had next to Adams. But also nearly none of them performed at a high level at the same time as the other ones. As one was elevating their game, the others seemed to be falling off. Obviously I'm projecting here, but like I said, outside Adams, I think Watson, Reed, and Musgrave will wind up reaching a higher playing level than any of those contemporaries and will all be on the field playing at that level at the same time. Have to wait and see, but so far they've all gotten off to a good start.

edit: and while this is obviously not quantifiable, I'd argue it was Rodgers who elevated the majority of those WRs over their innate abilities. I doubt we'd be saying Love is really elevating anyone on the team rn.

this pass catching group is miles better than any group Rodgers every played with
I get jokes

lol Rodgers had Adams, Nelson and Cobb in their primes for several years, and before that had Gregg Jennings and Donald Driver with Nelson/Cobb for multiple seasons.
Agree to disagree I guess, while "better by miles" was likely an overstatement on my part. IMO Cobb was the definition of mediocre and had one great season among 13 mostly forgettable ones. Jordy Nelson 2-3. Jennings 2-3. I should have remembered Driver as he was probably the most consistent high level one he had next to Adams. But also nearly none of them performed at a high level at the same time as the other ones. As one was elevating their game, the others seemed to be falling off. Obviously I'm projecting here, but like I said, outside Adams, I think Watson, Reed, and Musgrave will wind up reaching a higher playing level than any of those contemporaries and will all be on the field playing at that level at the same time. Have to wait and see, but so far they've all gotten off to a good start.

edit: and while this is obviously not quantifiable, I'd argue it was Rodgers who elevated the majority of those WRs over their innate abilities. I doubt we'd be saying Love is really elevating anyone on the team rn.

I hope you're right on this, but Nelson, Cobb and Driver all had long careers in Green Bay, went to pro bowls, set numerous franchise records and two of them won a Superbowl. And in many of those years they had Adams with them as well as guys like Jennings and Finley. James Jones had over 40 touchdown receptions from Rodgers. Watson, Doubs, Reed and Musgrave have done nothing in the NFL yet, so I do think your comment is an extremely hopeful forward-looking projection.

I get jokes

I hope you're right on this, but Nelson, Cobb and Driver all had long careers in Green Bay, went to pro bowls, set numerous franchise records and two of them won a Superbowl. And in many of those years they had Adams with them as well as guys like Jennings and Finley. James Jones had over 40 touchdown receptions from Rodgers. Watson, Doubs, Reed and Musgrave have done nothing in the NFL yet, so I do think your comment is an extremely hopeful forward-looking projection.
I get your point, and not trying to pick nits here, but those 3 WRs played for a total of 37 seasons. They accounted for 5 pro bowls across those 37 seasons, Driver had 3 of them (and like I said, I definitely overlooked him and while also not on Adams level, was def a consistent high level performer). And to me it felt that by the time Jennings started performing well, Driver was toast. Maybe a season or two of overlap. Similarly, by the time Adams showed up, Jennings was toast. I think he may have even retired the very next year.

The Packers schedule is also very favorable.

on the road in packer country? seems like GB plays better at home than away. sure it's probably true with most teams. but getting watson back, to team with musgrave , and is Jones playing? if so this is a dynamic offense waiting to happen this weekend. didn't carolina with a rookie QB give the Aints fits?? why would that be any different with the packers at home? Love should kill it this weekend yet again, like always. he's smooth as butter doesn't get rattled, knows where to go with the ball. if you haven't picked him up yet please do so now. we're calling the Aints defense 'stingy'? how so? they've beaten a lousy Panther team led by knucklehead Frank Reich, and they beat the lowly Titans in week 1 - WITH 3 ints from your man of the match ryan tannehill. this is the stingy stout defense in the article faust posted? yikes. lets pay attention to the level of opposition before we break out the anointing oils. GB should THRIVE here. coming out party for Musgrave, Watson for 2023, and for Love.

I missed on this guy, never thought he had a chance. He is performing without his best WR on the field. A lot of season left, but he has been much better than I thought he would be. Some tougher matchups ahead, we will see if he can keep it up,

Regression coming in a bad way. 6 TD on 29 completions and 496 yards passing? Somethings got to give and it's more likely its the TD ratio.

Only Fields has a worse completion percentage to expected than Love

After typing that maybe I should sell Watson

Regression coming in a bad way. 6 TD on 29 completions and 496 yards passing? Somethings got to give and it's more likely its the TD ratio.

OTOH his likely #1 WR has not played, his #2 WR has been a little limited, he's not had Aaron Jones for a whole game and his top healthy weapons have been mainly a bunch of rookies playing their first and second games of their career.

OTOH his likely #1 WR has not played, his #2 WR has been a little limited, he's not had Aaron Jones for a whole game and his top healthy weapons have been mainly a bunch of rookies playing their first and second games of their career.
And his o-line has been missing key guys part of the time

C'mon now

he's averaging a td per 5 completions - Mahomes was a TD per 10 completions last year, as was Allen
56% completion rate, Mahomes was 67% and Allen 63%
As I said his completion compared to expected is the second lowest - meaning he should have had a better completion rate in those first 2 games
GB has scored 7 TD's - 6 by the pass

Those numbers highly indicate that he's running too hot and to expect a slow down. The point about Watson coming back is good but it's not like he adds 8 completions to the team. His production will likely come at another WR's expense.

You guys could be right - but the stats lean the other way.

C'mon now

he's averaging a td per 5 completions - Mahomes was a TD per 10 completions last year, as was Allen
As I said his completion compared to expected is the second lowest - meaning he should have had a better completion rate in those first 2 games

Those numbers highly indicate that he's running too hot and to expect a slow down. The point about Watson coming back is good but it's not like he adds 8 completions to the team. His production will likely come at another WR's expense.

Multiple things can be true which is what I was trying to point out.

You are not wrong his TD pace is not remotely sustainable.

But it's a lot more then just Watson being out, a lot of other injuries impacting availability and playing time which I already reference. He's got a second round rookie who is basically a pure slot who right now is third in the NFL in team target share as his top weapon. They are third lowest in the league in total snaps on offense. If you took their average offensive snaps after 2 games and multiplied it by 3 there are a handful of teams who have had more snaps. That's like an extra game when we've only played two weeks.

A lot of reasons to think his volume and overall efficiency will take a significant spike and might offset the negative TD regression.

IMO the jury is still out on how much of a fantasy asset he'll be but I think the early signs have been a lot more on the positive side even acknowledging the TD pace is not realistic.

C'mon now

While I agree it's obvious the TD rate isn't goping to continue but it's his 3rd game of his career, no Watson, no Aaron Jones, the starting left side of OL has missed games. The talent around him is only going to get better and more experienced.

time will tell - I'm not saying anyone is wrong - but here's a new stat:

He's averaging 1.37 fantasy pts per completion (not sure of the system PFN used)

2022 MVP Patrick Mahomes: 0.86
2021 MVP Aaron Rodgers: 0.85
2020 MVP Aaron Rodgers: 0.98

He's so far over his head right now, the players coming back from injury are likely not going to maintain his overall performance as is the argument (noting a drop in td ratio)

Jordan Love completed 22-of-44 passes for 259 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Packers’ 18-17, Week 3 win over the Saints, adding 39 yards on nine carries and another touchdown.

Love needed every last minute of this one to rally the Packers to a win. With his team down 17-0 in the fourth quarter, Love and the Packers nailed a field goal early in the fourth quarter and later took advantage of back-to-back pass interferences to set Love up for a one-yard touchdown run. The Pack followed it up with a two-point conversion, and a Romeo Doubs eight-yard touchdown on the following drive. Love was far from perfect in this one, sailing several throws and tossing an easy interception to safety Lonnie Johnson early in the third quarter. However, he rallied his team late with a near perfect fourth quarter, moving his team to 2-1 in his first home start. The Packers have a quick turnaround as they now prepare to face the Lions on Thursday night. Love will be a mid-QB2 in the NFC North showdown.

- Rotoworld
Love had like 2 fantasy points thru 3 quarters and finished with close to 25. With no Jones/Watson and Patrick Taylor on the field most of the 4th he was throwing balls over over the field. It was encouraging to see LaFleur didn't gimp him in the O at all, and he looked to target all his WRs. He also showed a willingness to run it and not sit behind the pocket, though a lot of it was running for his life.

I said it in the game thread, we need to start the conversation about Jordan Love possibly being a Top 10 Fantasy QB this year.

Users who are viewing this thread