What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alvin Kamara, NO (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Field Yates reports the Saints converted $10.46 million of Alvin Kamara's 2022 salary into a signing bonus. 

The team, way over the salary cap as per usual, will clear around $8.4 million in cap space with the move. The Saints remain more than $23 million over the cap, with difficult roster decisions looming in the coming weeks. Kamara's 2022 status, meanwhile, is in some question after he was arrested in February for "battery resulting in substantial bodily harm" in Las Vegas. An investigation into the incident is ongoing. 

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter 

Mar 11, 2022, 8:25 AM ET

ProFootballTalk reports that Alvin Kamara's April 25th hearing has been moved to August 1st.

Kamara and three others are facing a felony charge as a result of an incident that occurred the night before the Pro Bowl, resulting in Kamara's arrest for "battery resulting in substantial bodily harm." The lawyers for Kamara and the other defendants had requested additional time to review evidence, pushing the hearing back until August. The NFL is likely to let the legal situation play out before administering a suspension or fine related to the charges.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

Apr 25, 2022, 2:05 PM ET

so whats the feeling here, 

was he charged with a felony?

If it was battery then I'm guessing we're looking at 4 games
The post above yours indicates he is facing felony charges and the hearing is scheduled for August 1. 
Not really sure what anyone can add to that? 

So assuming he gets 6 games, he will be 27, and in his 6 year. What would you pay for him. Late first? Some one like Pollard? 
I think Kareem Hunt got 8 games and this seems much worse. I would think at least 8 games but the NFL is a weird organization and not always consistent with their punishments.

I think Kareem Hunt got 8 games and this seems much worse.
To whom?

The level of violence not close, it's much worse, but a video of Hunt handling a young white girl will bother a lot of people more than a nightclub fight. 

Disclaimer: Hunt was done wrong, he should not have gotten anything for a suspension. That girl was a disaster, would not leave, and her friend was apologizing for her. He nudged that girl as gently as possible while still actually touching her. 

I agree with you this is much worse, I wonder if decision makers see it that way

To whom?

The level of violence not close, it's much worse, but a video of Hunt handling a young white girl will bother a lot of people more than a nightclub fight. 

Disclaimer: Hunt was done wrong, he should not have gotten anything for a suspension. That girl was a disaster, would not leave, and her friend was apologizing for her. He nudged that girl as gently as possible while still actually touching her. 

I agree with you this is much worse, I wonder if decision makers see it that way
While Alvin Kamara's incident was arguably more violent, let us remember that Hunt did considerably more than "gently nudge" a girl.  He shoved her with force.  Twice.  Then he violently pushed into the back of a man who was intervening to defuse the situation, causing both the man and the victim (who was walking away at the time) to tumble to the ground, and then Hunt kicked the defenseless victim while she was on the ground.  He absolutely deserved to be suspended.  Kamara should, at minimum, get a similar 8-game suspension, and probably more.

https://globalnews.ca/video/4717620/video-purportedly-shows-nfls-kareem-hunt-allegedly-shoving-kicking-woman

Edit to Add:  I am curious what type of a hearing is scheduled for August.  If this matter lingers beyond the start of the regular season, I would not be shocked if Kamara is added to the Commissioner's Exempt List.

Last edited by a moderator:
To whom?

Well, you were pretty close with that description. 😜

Who knows how this turns out but it's weird how quiet this whole thing has really been since his arrest.

I'm not even searching to be positive so much as it's staring me in the face to point it's hard to ignore is that the Saints don't seem to be acting like they are overly concerned. They are loading up like a SB contender and their major RB addition so far this off-season was guaranteeing Abram Smith $200k. What I'm interpreting as their confidence is rubbing off on me.

To whom?

I wonder too. Like meno mentions above, not hearing too much on this either. I seem to recall seeing video of this but haven't been able to find it online but only did a quick search. It looked really bad though.

I think Kareem Hunt got 8 games and this seems much worse. I would think at least 8 games but the NFL is a weird organization and not always consistent with their punishments.
there is no way Hunt deserved 8 games... maybe 2, that was a results of

Hunt's previous history and NFL appeal to wokeness

The union should of been all over that one

if it's going to take till August to determine if this is a felony then there is no way its a felony.  

In Clark County all criminal cases start at the lower level Justice Court that handles misdemeanors. If the Justice Court finds there Probable Cause that a Felony has taken place, and there is no Plea Deal struck, they send it to District Court.

The August 1, 2022 hearing is listed as "Negotiations", meaning they've continued it to see if they can reach a plea deal and the Defense wants to see how bad the evidence is. If they don't reach a deal by August 1, it will likely be sent to District Court he has two charges, a Felony and a Gross Misdemeanor.  If it gets sent to District Court a Trial won't happen during the season. There is a serious Covid backlog in Las Vegas right now. 

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports that Saints RB Alvin Kamara is "bracing for a suspension of at least six games."

Kamara will face felony battery charges for allegedly throwing some punches at an incident at Allegiant Stadium at Las Vegas. The question, per Florio, is when the suspension will actually be enacted -- the NFL prefers to wait until the criminal process has concluded before imposing discipline via the personal conduct policy. Kamara will be a risky fantasy pick this year due to the potential that the suspension happens sooner rather than later. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on NBCSports.com

Jun 23, 2022, 8:06 PM ET

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports that Saints RB Alvin Kamara is "bracing for a suspension of at least six games."

Kamara will face felony battery charges for allegedly throwing some punches at an incident at Allegiant Stadium at Las Vegas. The question, per Florio, is when the suspension will actually be enacted -- the NFL prefers to wait until the criminal process has concluded before imposing discipline via the personal conduct policy. Kamara will be a risky fantasy pick this year due to the potential that the suspension happens sooner rather than later. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on NBCSports.com

Jun 23, 2022, 8:06 PM ET
I'm late to the party news on this one.  Thanks for the heads-up. 

The filing of the civil suit could slow down the timeline on the criminal case.  The victim may also want Kamara to collect another full year salary.

Give me the under on 6 games. 

Feels like 6 games negotiated down to 3 or 4 could be a thing, but 6 feels like a lot for a Vegas fight. 

Also, if I am the NFL, I might be a little slick, and go easy on Kamara. At some point, we will know the suspensions of Watson and Kamara. The NFL PR department has to know if those two suspensions are close in terms of number of missed games, there will be much clickbait outrage. 

I might max out at three games. 

Feels like 6 games negotiated down to 3 or 4 could be a thing, but 6 feels like a lot for a Vegas fight.
A fight?  Is that what it's called when 4 thugs stomp an unconscious guy?  I say the punishment should be zero games, but the day before the season starts, Alvin has to go in the ring with Francis Ngannou and the victim.  After Ngannou knocks him out, the victim gets to beat him a bit more.  Alvin can then play as soon as he feels up to it.

Seems like thugism is on full display here. Either these guys aren't thinking about their "brand" or I simply don't understand what their brand is.

A fight?  Is that what it's called when 4 thugs stomp an unconscious guy?  I say the punishment should be zero games, but the day before the season starts, Alvin has to go in the ring with Francis Ngannou and the victim.  After Ngannou knocks him out, the victim gets to beat him a bit more.  Alvin can then play as soon as he feels up to it.
He's on 3 of my 4 dynasty teams, so I think his punishment is that Rhonda Rousey has to tickle his feet till he pees himself. 

He's on 3 of my 4 dynasty teams, so I think his punishment is that Rhonda Rousey has to tickle his feet till he pees himself. 
I guess I am just a believer in an eye socket for and eye socket.  In all seriousness, we can't expect these early-to-mid 20 year olds to act like choir boys, can we?  I expect young NFL'ers to get into fights and generally be badasses.  But just like in MMA, you stop whaling on someone when they can't fight back.  That's why I think Alvin deserves severe punishment.

From what i read it was Kamara`s friends that stomped the guy after Kamara was done punching the guy,so context does matter. Not condoning just stating  facts  , shod foot is a serious charge 

From what i read it was Kamara`s friends that stomped the guy after Kamara was done punching the guy,so context does matter. Not condoning just stating  facts  , shod foot is a serious charge 
Does it really matter if it was with fists or feet?  Sounds like all 4 thugs were still doing damage AFTER the guy was unconscious.  And yes, Alvin is one of the thugs.

Does it really matter if it was with fists or feet?  Sounds like all 4 thugs were still doing damage AFTER the guy was unconscious.  And yes, Alvin is one of the thugs.
it does matter , if i get in  fight with a guy and i beat him ,then stop ,the 3 other guys go on to stomp him ,i shouldnt be charged with their part of the assault ,which shod foot is a level higher in punishment because its now assault with a dangerous weapon.

All of it is bad , again im not condoning in any way . 

it does matter , if i get in  fight with a guy and i beat him ,then stop ,the 3 other guys go on to stomp him ,i shouldnt be charged with their part of the assault ,which shod foot is a level higher in punishment because its now assault with a dangerous weapon.

All the while doing nothing to stop it?     Yes. Yes you should be charged along with the rest. 

Not criticizing in any way. 

How do charges work when someone drives the getaway car for the bank robber?

4 different people assaulted an unconscious man.  If a 5th guy gave him a wet willy or a purple nurple, I would call him a thug as well.

How do charges work when someone drives the getaway car for the bank robber?
He is also charged with the robbery.  If a person is murdered, he is also charged with murder, but may get a lessor sentence if not the triggerman.  If a policeman is murdered he probably gets the same sentence as the triggerman.

All the while doing nothing to stop it?     Yes. Yes you should be charged along with the rest. 

Not criticizing in any way. 
If he was defending himself he probably wont be charged ,if he wasnt and was the attacker he`ll probably be charged with assault and battery ,while his cohorts will be charged with assault with dangerous weapons (shoes) and possibly intent to cause serious bodily harm with implied malice. 

And so is his "posse". While I don't believe this is the totality of all involved I do believe this instance in their lives should have consequences that reflect the seriousness. 
As a legal argument, I know it would never hold any water but I am interested by the "dynamics" between guys like Kamara and their "entourages". In court they'll be called "friends" and maybe they are but it's likely quite different in reality than one of us going out with a group of friends. There's a hierarchy and power structure to these groups and couldn't you argue the guy at the top of the pyramid is more responsible than the others in some ways?

It's shocking how quiet it is in here.
Disclaimer: I have not listened to the linked audio nor read through the entire SaintsReport thread (just the first page or so).

WWL Sports (Youtube) - Legal expert: Here's why an Alvin Kamara suspension might not come in 2022 season [length - 6:56]

WWL interview: Attorney says Kamara might not see suspension until AFTER this season (…he explains why) [SaintsReport.com thread]

The Youtube video is actually a 7-minute audio clip from WWL Radio's drive-time program this past Wednesday evening.

Cliffs Notes: This second post in the linked SaintsReport thread is by one of that board's resident attorneys -- an analog to Zow or YankeeFan23 on FBGs:

Summary:

Don't expect to see a resolution on August 1. This is a preliminary hearing - if there's nothing to announce as far as deals go, don't expect this to move quickly as we are still in a preliminary stage.

Kamara has a good attorney who is well connected with the prosecutor's office. It may be hard for Kamara to take a plea deal if he knows it will trigger a harsh suspension.

Unless the video is released, the NFL will probably wait on a resolution of the court case so it might be some time. It's possible that the next phase (or even trial) of the criminal case could happen in late fall but could easily be pushed back further. And unless there's some information coming out from the case, we should be cautious about speculating as to what will happen.

In other words, there's a good chance Kamara won't be suspended any time soon.

So any reason to believe this guy won't take Kamara to civil court?  That would then present a mess wouldn't it?
It’s very possible - but it would be the same incident so not sure why that would create a mess.

The NFL usually waits for criminal procedures to play out first - not for necessarily civil matters. 

If he isn't suspended this year, he's a STEAL in current drafts.  Man, what a conundrum.
It depends when he gets suspended. If it’s at the beginning of the year and only a few games he could still be good value were he is going now. If he gets suspended toward the end of the season that would be very bad.

The Saints first eight games are way easier than their last nine.  If the Court sets a trial date for early November during the August 1st status date, draft him then trade him.

Users who are viewing this thread