What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stuff happening lately that reminds you you're getting older (3 Viewers)

have two fake hips and two blown up discs in my lower back the docs told me not to run anymore and that really stinks so not being able to do much physical stuff anymore is really a bummer i have to really watch what i eat as a result and do vegetables like its my job as a result but that is honestly probably a good thing the worst thing for me now is that i am starting to lose friends cancer can go f itself in a nutshell take that to the bank brohans 

At lunch today, I was explaining to some younger co-workers who did not think that fantasy football existed before Yahoo how I used to score by hand by looking at box scores in the Monday paper, and I would make add/drops by having an actual oral conversation with the commissioner, and they were flabbergasted by the whole process.

On the plus side, though, we are very stable financially and if I want something, I just go buy it and it is no big thing.  The same could not be said in my earlier years.  If only the money and youth lined up better, but it does make it a little more tolerable.
It's the oldest cliche in the books but youth really is wasted on the young.

I have a 25 yr old girl that works for me that is constantly telling me "that sounds like something my Dad would say" or when talking about classic movies such as Caddyshack, she's never heard of it.  That and I have get up at least once but usually twice a night to pee.

Someone who works for me had zero idea who Aly Sheedy was, and had never seen Breakfast Club or St. Elmo's Fire.

Now that I think of it, likely that all of my team have zero idea. 

I am truly a dinosaur.

I also nearly sprained a knee today simply walking faster to get my soup from the kitchen microwave.

It's truly been a Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Or is that also a reference that goes over people's heads? 

42, and constantly injuring myself and pulling things doing basic tasks around the house. 

Much easier to be fat than not fat

I get ornery with people around me.  Bad drivers, people who don’t know how to walk properly.  Just losing my patience for pretty much everything ...

My vision. I need to go out and get a pair of readers. Small print is the devil, now. Some of the labels on medication are so tiny, I have to take a pic with my phone and zoom in to read it.

Also, my night vision sucks anymore. Starting to get halos of light around headlights and my night vision gets washed out with oncoming cars. Doesn't help that seemingly everyone has new super-powered Xenon klieglights on the front of their cars and trucks, now. "Hey, buddy, I sure am glad you're now able to light up the entirety of your 15 mile commute, but it would be nice if my retinas didn't burn when you are coming the other way."

My vision. I need to go out and get a pair of readers. Small print is the devil, now. Some of the labels on medication are so tiny, I have to take a pic with my phone and zoom in to read it.

Also, my night vision sucks anymore. Starting to get halos of light around headlights and my night vision gets washed out with oncoming cars. Doesn't help that seemingly everyone has new super-powered Xenon klieglights on the front of their cars and trucks, now. "Hey, buddy, I sure am glad you're now able to light up the entirety of your 15 mile commute, but it would be nice if my retinas didn't burn when you are coming the other way."
This.  If I'm (48) driving at night and it's raining or snowing out, forget it.  I constantly feel like I'm about to drive off the road because I can't make out the lane markings.  It sucks.  I know that's how I'm going to die. 

Someone who works for me had zero idea who Aly Sheedy was, and had never seen Breakfast Club or St. Elmo's Fire.

Now that I think of it, likely that all of my team have zero idea. 

I am truly a dinosaur.

I also nearly sprained a knee today simply walking faster to get my soup from the kitchen microwave.

It's truly been a Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Or is that also a reference that goes over people's heads? 
It's okay Alexander. Things will get better. 

54 - I wear glasses for distance but now have to take them off to read, especially in a dimly lit restaurant. I would rather sacrifice a little distance vision to be able to keep them on while reading but apparently, that's not how it works. Or I wind up looking over my glasses like a real old man.

I tend to spread myself thin on a lot of different projects and I find it harder to focus on one and at times get nothing done.
Ben Franklin just invented bifocals

Got a pair of progressive lenses this year.

Bought a bag of these this week.

Started checking the ages of moms in older movies to see if I'm older now than they were then.

(For example, Christmas edition: Kevin McAllister's mom was 36 in Home Alone, Mrs. Griswold was 38 in Christmas Vacation, Holly McClain was 40 in Die Hard)

48: haven’t been pregnant in 3 years. Both my parents are dead. My sister just got divorced. I’ve got one foot in the grave. 

I find myself driving a little more cautious in bad weather. Now cars blow by me in the fast lane.

Cuts and bruises take much longer to heal

My eyes are just now starting to go on me and I hate it. If I look at my phone and then look up at the TV, takes a while to focus.

Ear hair

Aches and pains

ED creeped in. Seems like that just happened overnight too

Find myself questioning fashion or lack thereof

Fall asleep watching TV or having the urge to take a nap in the mid-afternoon

I have a 25 yr old girl that works for me that is constantly telling me "that sounds like something my Dad would say" or when talking about classic movies such as Caddyshack, she's never heard of it.  That and I have get up at least once but usually twice a night to pee.
I've been saying that to myself more and more recently.  It's like I've even developed his voice too.  

39- You’ll have a better chance getting ahold of me at 5am than at 9pm. 

I bought my kids an air hockey table and had to take a muscle relaxer last night from leaning over to play all week. 

By the way, had chronic lower back pain since I was around 34 and when I bought a tempurpedic bed they magically disappeared.  Still acts up from time to time but sleeping on an expensive bed has made all the difference.
Much like you, I had lower back problems since my early 20's.  I also bought a memory foam bed and after two weeks my pain was gone.  I also discovered after 2 weeks that I was highly allergic to memory foam.  God really hates me for some reason.

47 - Have to take picture of cooking directions and then enlarge picture to be able to read the directions.
great one - along the same lines, I can't read the ingredients on some things so either have to ask my kids or take a picture like you.

Thought about this thread specifically last night....

47 here and two things really annoy me about getting old.

-Routinely nodding off on the couch watch tv at 9:30 or so.  

-15 years ago, would go out to lunch every day, and dinner would routinely consist of say fried chicken strips, or a pasta dish with cream sauce or something else not very healthy, have a few beers at night - would wake up the next day at the same weight as previous.

These days, have a small salad for lunch, no dressing. Dinner will be baked chicken strips or another salad, or something else equally bland and unsatisfying.  Will have maybe 1 or 2 lite beers - wake up the next day up 1-2 pounds.  :wall:

53 next Wednesday.

My vision was always great, then I needed readers about 8 years ago. Then earlier this year my distance vision started sucking. Now I have freaking progressives that I wear all the time. It’s nice to be able to see, but kind of a pain.

Praise the good Lord above for the little blue pills. If you old dudes aren’t using these, get with it.

As someone mentioned earlier, the good thing is having a little dough - it’s nice to know you can go to dinner and order whatever you want, or take a trip somewhere and not really worry about it.

I actually kind of like getting older. I care so much less what anyone thinks of me, and it’s kind of nice.

45 - Every time I log onto the internet, there's some guy talking about how old he's getting. That's what reminds me :)

Oh that and bifocals and grey whiskers. That too.  

Also, realizing most of my favorite music -- and framed posters and vinyl purchases -- comes from at least two decades ago, if not four.  

47. I am completely grey, but that’s been the case for close to a decade. The facial wrinkles are killing me. My wife is buying me #### like retinol. DAFUQ. 

Turning 47 on Feb. 6th

I have a phone case that doubles as my wallet and during Christmas I pulled it out to pay for my purchase and the young cashier says "My dad has that phone case". :(

44 -- This isn't so recent, but it was a gut punch to find out I was older than Homer Simpson 
kinda similar- as I grew up, it was strange to be the same age as professional athletes. then it was strange to be older than them. now it's strange to be as old as their parents... or even grandparents in some cases. 

47 - Had to get glasses (progressive lenses) last year.  Also have to get up and urinate in the middle of the night most nights.  But both of our kids are out of the house as of this fall and my wife and I are totally enjoying being empty-nesters.  Something to look forward to for some of you that are getting close to that.

Can’t stay up past 1 or 2 anymore, can’t sleep past 8.

Jumped off the stage at school the other day and my ankle hurt for a few minutes.

Yeah, readers, but I have had bad eyesight my whole life so no big deal. 

Pain, but 16 operations on various body parts, so that is understandable too. 

One thing I have not seen mentioned is how much more trouble getting to sleep has become. 

Can’t stay up past 1 or 2 anymore, can’t sleep past 8.

Jumped off the stage at school the other day and my ankle hurt for a few minutes.

tinnitus
eyes are getting worse - especially at night/raining
thinning hair (i have the inverse paul ryan - my hair is receding straight up the middle)
tight hips
I had "frozen shoulder" in both shoulders over the last year - @Otis> hey
can't hold my poops and pees as long as I used to
more to follow...

49 - wife is 38 so I get this on a daily basis. I'll start talking about something and she will stare at me with that "I have no idea what you are referring to" look.

On the bright side, I get to retire 11 years early since she has a well-paying job and can support me until she is ready to retire.   :headbang:

There were a few that crept in prior, but now that I have a kid a lot more of my father’s dad-isms have made their way into my normal vernacular

Pulled out an ear hair that was several inches long and gray.

Hurt my wrist putting on a pair of slippers. Going on third week of said injury. 

Dominate basketball against 18 year olds at the Y for like 10 minutes until I inevitably hurt myself and limp away sweaty and in pain.

Users who are viewing this thread