What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The disrespect Tim Tebow gets is astonishing (1 Viewer)

shader

Footballguy
Reading tweets and articles from sports writers, listening to the media on the radio, and reading the posts of many on the internet, I am floored with the lack of respect Tim Tebow gets.

I'm reading Caplan who is claiming that the only reason anyone would want him is because he'll fill seats, and that it would never be a football decision.

Am I missing something here?

Tebow took a horrible team, and led them to the 2nd round of the playoffs. He beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in overtime with an 80 yard TD strike, and threw for over 300 yards in that game. He is a bigtime threat running the ball, as he showed in leading Denver to a come from behind win over the Jets.

He is poised and clutch in the 4th quarter.

He had a 2-1 TD to INT ratio.

Look, I recognize that he throws the ball poorly at times. But just as the media never stopped singing his praises during the season, they are unfairly trashing him this off-season.

All of a sudden, he has become a novelty QB, a guy who can't throw, and a guy who might go somewhere and run the wildcat.

He has one thing to do that will solidify him as a starting QB: Raise his completion percentage to around 55-60 percent.

Michael Vick's completion percentage was horrible for YEARS. He actually had a 52.6 percentage in 2006.

Why is Tebow not getting the benefit of the doubt? It's as if people think he cannot improve???

If I were the Browns, the Dolphins, the Jags, or any team that needed a QB, I'd sign this guy in less than a second.

You won't find a QB that tries harder, and his professional resume at this point is awesome. The only thing he doesn't have is the percentage. Also, anyone that actually watched the Broncos games last year has to acknowledge that the coaching staff's playcalling was horrible. They basically put him in third and long passing situations for the first three quarters. Defenses ALWAYS knew he was going to throw.

The media is a joke, and it really frustrates me to watch Tebow revert back to a novelty, a gimmick and a joke in the eyes of the football world today.

I can't wait until he lands a spot, and turns a franchise around.

I love Tebows attitude and effort toward football. I guess I am like most though in questioning how successful he can be in the NFL with his passing skills. I also worry how long a QB can play that way before getting hurt badly. I would like to see him be successful though.

He has one thing to do that will solidify him as a starting QB: Raise his completion percentage to around 55-60 percent.
How often do we see QBs improve their completion percentage by 15-20%? My guess would be that it doesn't happen all that frequently.

he doesn't get respect because he is not a good football player. the team he led to the playoffs couldn't wait to get a new QB and all they can get is basically a 4th round pick for him so pretty much all NFL teams agree that he is not a good football player

he doesn't get respect because he is not a good football player. the team he led to the playoffs couldn't wait to get a new QB and all they can get is basically a 4th round pick for him so pretty much all NFL teams agree that he is not a good football player
What makes a good football player?? Winning games? Going to the playoffs and winning a game? He's not traditional but he beat out Phillip Rivers in that division and I'd say hes pretty good.

Not quite sure how you can say he's "not a good football player" when he's one of the most accomplished college QB's?The correct thing to say would've been "He's not a great proto-typical NFL QB".

Tebow's been getting slagged on big time, kinda sad to be honest. Just goes to show you how much of a "What have you done for me TODAY" business the NFL can be.

What makes a good football player?? Winning games? Going to the playoffs and winning a game? He's not traditional but he beat out Phillip Rivers in that division and I'd say hes pretty good.
Well a good players achievements arent typical measured by their teams accomplishments.That being said, he really is a terrible QB. He can play football, ill give him that(and thats it).

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not that good but his fans keep pumping him up as some sort of superhuman savior. Face it, if he didn't publicly display his Christianity so much and if he hadn't run an anti-abortion ad on TV, he wouldn't have nearly the same amount of adoration from the "true believers". His fans are the reason he's always in the media, and the media pays attention to how he plays, which isn't so good so far.

Well a good players achievements arent typical measured by their teams accomplishments.That being said, he really is a terrible QB. He can play football, ill give him that(and thats it).
So when talking about Brady his first 3 or 4 years when he was an ok passer, everyone wasnt talking about his SBs and playoff record???

He seems "better" then people in a good guy kind of way and people can't stand it. It doesn’t matter if they win or if he does well....

Gotta really disagree with this statement. It's a very valid argument to say Tebow is not a good "quarterback", but I would say that Tebow is GREAT "football player". He has a ton of intangibles and the kid knows exactly what is happening on the field around him. His challenge is passing accuracy. That's a major challenge if you want to play QB in the NFL. But Tebow is the rare guy who could probably play 3-4 different positions on the field beyond QB. He can do that because he is a great football player.On a side note here, will be interesting to see if Tebow ever "transitions" into another role. It's fun to speculate as Peter King does that Tebow could be role guy on defense, and it's very plausible that he could make a living as a WR or RB (if he so chose), but will he do it?I often wonder what kind of impact Kordell Stewart could have had if he had just checked his ego and been willing to play a position other than QB. (Okay, maybe not "often", but I still wonder.)ETA: Wow. Need to respond faster. By the time I finished typing, there were a half-dozen similar comments. Didn't mean to pile on. :shock:

So when talking about Brady his first 3 or 4 years when he was an ok passer, everyone wasnt talking about his SBs and playoff record???
Actually to my knowledge, the only people that constantly exaggerate Brady's early years are people who have generally poor opinions of him. Hes shown that with a good team could win multiple Superbowls, with an okay team have the best year offensively ever and with a poor team make it to the playoffs every year (among a huge list of other personal accomplishments)

As a purely business decision, I'm shocked that the Jaguars wouldn't offer a 3rd, 2nd, or even a 1st round pick to land him. As has been said, he's not a prototypical NFL QB but he'd at least make Jaguars games interesting, fill seats, and sell merchandise. He's not a great QB, but he seems to be a pretty dang good football player.

As a purely business decision, I'm shocked that the Jaguars wouldn't offer a 3rd, 2nd, or even a 1st round pick to land him. As has been said, he's not a prototypical NFL QB but he'd at least make Jaguars games interesting, fill seats, and sell merchandise. He's not a great QB, but he seems to be a pretty dang good football player.
Thats an outrageous price for him, they could get him for a 4th almost gauranteed, if they elect to pay the 5 million to get him (which I dont think anyone will and Denver is gonna have to pony it up if they wanna move him)

Tebow is such a great QB that the Broncos basically put him in a corner and told him to sit quiet and wait while the Manning soap opera ran its course.

How often do we see QBs improve their completion percentage by 15-20%? My guess would be that it doesn't happen all that frequently.
His first full year, Peyton's percentage was 56. He became a guy that routinely threw in the upper 60's.John Elway's in his first season was 47.5. He threw in the 60's often later in his career.McNabb's was 49.1 his rookie season.I could probably go on and on, but the point is that many people struggle in their first season or so. Throw in the fact that they traded Brandon Lloyd right before they handed over the reigns, and then his best WR was a guy who had just torn his achilles within the past year, and it's amazing that the Broncos did what they did.I completely understand the Broncos going after Peyton. It's a no-brainer. But to act as if this guy is trash, as many are doing, is to completely close your eyes to what really happened.

Wrong

Tebow's biggest flaw is that he cannot throw the football to receivers. The quarterback's most important job is to throw the football to receivers. I'm doing the math here and coming up with the same answer every time.

He's not that good but his fans keep pumping him up as some sort of superhuman savior. Face it, if he didn't publicly display his Christianity so much and if he hadn't run an anti-abortion ad on TV, he wouldn't have nearly the same amount of adoration from the "true believers". His fans are the reason he's always in the media, and the media pays attention to how he plays, which isn't so good so far.
I don't care about all that stuff. I'm talking football here. He got all the insane attention because of what he did on the football field, not because of the other stuff.Until he led the Broncos on their long run (from the depths of the gutter) and then won a football game, he didn't get near the attention.Obviously he always had his followers. But it was his play ON THE FIELD that caused him to explode. Heck, go check most of his game logs on this forum. His fourth quarter play was just unbelievable.

A QB who can't play QB is disrespected. Astonishing.

I get where you're coming from shader. But on the other hand...with all the teams needing a QB, he wouldn't be getting sent off to places that already have QB's in the Jets or possibly Rams, for a measly 4th rounder+, if he was worth it. Or better said, if other teams thought he could be the answer at the QB position.

Thats an outrageous price for him, they could get him for a 4th almost gauranteed, if they elect to pay the 5 million to get him (which I dont think anyone will and Denver is gonna have to pony it up if they wanna move him)
You're right in that a 1st seems like an outrageous price, and that he should be able to be had for a 3rd or 4th. But the Jaguars, a team that very few people care about, would actually be relevant if they landed Tebow. My point is that the Jaguars should pay whatever they have to pay in order to land him, purely from a business standpoint. Even if that price were a 1st, which it doesn't appear to be, they should still pay it. This is the non-decision that's going to end in the Jaguars relocating to another city.

A QB who can't play QB is disrespected. Astonishing. I get where you're coming from shader. But on the other hand...with all the teams needing a QB, he wouldn't be getting sent off to places that already have QB's in the Jets or possibly Rams, for a measly 4th rounder+, if he was worth it. Or better said, if other teams thought he could be the answer at the QB position.
thank you.

Brady was always very efficient as a passer.

Ironically the reason there's so much media around him is 1) Tebow has a lot of fans2) People, such as yourself, hate Tebow but seemingly love talking about itGroup 1 + Group 2 = Ratings = MoneyGroup 1 vs Group 2 = Easy story for poor journalists

Mathematically, QBRating and turnovers determines who wins a game. Tebow's QB Rating was 90 in the playoffs and he had 0 picks... Brady's was higher, which is who he lost against.

QBs with lower playoff ratings:

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Ryan

Ben Roethlisberger

Andy Dalton

TJ Yates

========================

Only 1 starting QB threw for less picks than Tebow during the regular season. That QB led his team to 13 regular season wins and a trip to the NFC championship game. That QB was also treated like garbage this offseason. His name is Alex Smith. Completion percentage is like batting average in baseball... it tells you squat about wins and run production. It is arbitrary. The NFL is made up of a bunch of old school morons that have no clue. The owners have all that money and hire staffs with the IQ of a peanut.

The Giants win Superbowls by drafting DL in the first round every year to reduce the opponents QB Rating and increase their turnovers by putting them under duress, the 50 point rating difference of Rodgers from regular season to playoff game.

A QB who can't play QB is disrespected. Astonishing. I get where you're coming from shader. But on the other hand...with all the teams needing a QB, he wouldn't be getting sent off to places that already have QB's in the Jets or possibly Rams, for a measly 4th rounder+, if he was worth it. Or better said, if other teams thought he could be the answer at the QB position.
I think the "sideshow" actually scares teams off. His popularity actually makes some teams not want him. What team could bring him in? Any team he goes to is going to have the fans yelling "TEBOW!!!" the second the starter throws an int.Also, his low completion percentage is scary. I'm not saying it isn't. I think there are plenty of reasons for that, many of them laying right at the feet of the Broncos (I think they broke his delivery).There are risks. But the media turning him into a "novelty" who sucks as a QB is what annoys me the most. He's already proven to lead a team to the 2nd round of a playoff, he's won a ton of games, and HE was the reason for many of the wins. Did he get lucky a few times? Certainly. But he showed a ton of potential too, and it's amazing to me how many people have already written him off before his career has even gotten off the ground.Of course, that's the world we live in. Gabbert is being universally thrown under the bus on twitter as a complete bust, despite the fact that he was one of the youngest QB's to be a starter in a long time, played for a dead beat coach, and had horrible receivers. Let's allow these guys to grow a little. So glad Jake Locker wasn't thrust into the starting lineup and with the hyper-criticism that goes on, I kind of hope Hasselbeck starts in 2012 and keeps the heat off.

Mathematically, QBRating and turnovers determines who wins a game. Tebow's QB Rating was 90 in the playoffs and he had 0 picks... Brady's was higher, which is who he lost against.QBs with lower playoff ratings:Aaron RodgersMatt RyanBen RoethlisbergerAndy DaltonTJ Yates========================Only 1 starting QB threw for less picks than Tebow during the regular season. That QB led his team to 13 regular season wins and a trip to the NFC championship game. That QB was also treated like garbage this offseason. His name is Alex Smith. Completion percentage is like batting average in baseball... it tells you squat about wins and run production. It is arbitrary. The NFL is made up of a bunch of old school morons that have no clue. The owners have all that money and hire staffs with the IQ of a peanut.The Giants win Superbowls by drafting DL in the first round every year to reduce the opponents QB Rating and increase their turnovers by putting them under duress, the 50 point rating difference of Rodgers from regular season to playoff game.
Good post. Rarely do people point out that Tebow had a GREAT TD to INT ratio. Why is completion percentage the only thing that matters? Elway was a trainwreck his first 16 games in the TD to INT department. During his first season as a QB, he threw 7 td's, 14 picks and his team went 4-6 in the ten games he started.Look, I fully realize that if Tebow can't improve from his sub 50% completion percentage, he won't make it. But why should I think he won't? Most people do, he's an extremely hard worker, and I just see no reason why he can't improve like everyone else in the NFL.

Totally agree. Biggest continuing swing and miss the sports world has witnessed in a long time. I just don't' get it.

I love Tebows attitude and effort toward football. I guess I am like most though in questioning how successful he can be in the NFL with his passing skills. I also worry how long a QB can play that way before getting hurt badly. I would like to see him be successful though.
Totally agree.

Gotta really disagree with this statement. It's a very valid argument to say Tebow is not a good "quarterback", but I would say that Tebow is GREAT "football player". He has a ton of intangibles and the kid knows exactly what is happening on the field around him. His challenge is passing accuracy. That's a major challenge if you want to play QB in the NFL. But Tebow is the rare guy who could probably play 3-4 different positions on the field beyond QB. He can do that because he is a great football player.On a side note here, will be interesting to see if Tebow ever "transitions" into another role. It's fun to speculate as Peter King does that Tebow could be role guy on defense, and it's very plausible that he could make a living as a WR or RB (if he so chose), but will he do it?I often wonder what kind of impact Kordell Stewart could have had if he had just checked his ego and been willing to play a position other than QB. (Okay, maybe not "often", but I still wonder.)ETA: Wow. Need to respond faster. By the time I finished typing, there were a half-dozen similar comments. Didn't mean to pile on. :shock:
I'll respond to this one along with the other 6. several said he's a good football player, you even said GREAT, yet a poor QB. so what position should he play? He doesn't want to be anything else and there is a big learning curve to play TE, and could he block and catch the ball immediately to be an impact player? I doubt it. he's not fast enough to be a RB so that leaves a FB/wildcat player which is so limited that projecting him as a great player in a specialty role which he has never played before is a serious stretch. and for the people saying he's great because he wins, does that make every player on the Broncos great? team sport, not individual

Look, I fully realize that if Tebow can't improve from his sub 50% completion percentage, he won't make it. But why should I think he won't? Most people do, he's an extremely hard worker, and I just see no reason why he can't improve like everyone else in the NFL.
Do you realize how far Tebow has to go in order to improve these things enough? He does have great work ethic but that alone doesn't = success. People need to separate Tim Tebow the person from Tim Tebow the QB. There is no disrespect intended towards Tebow as a person and I think most everyone respects his personality, desire and commitment. He simply isn't a good NFL QB and he may never be though.

probably a lot longer if there is no bounty on his head

His first full year, Peyton's percentage was 56. He became a guy that routinely threw in the upper 60's.John Elway's in his first season was 47.5. He threw in the 60's often later in his career.McNabb's was 49.1 his rookie season.
The difference between Peyton's worst year and his best year as a full-time starter is 12.1%For Elway the difference is 9.6%For McNabb it is 7%.Granted, we haven't seen Tebow's first year as a full-time starter yet, but you only came up with three examples from the modern era, and none of them were very good. Peyton is the only one who was close, and it's completely reasonable when you consider that the Colts had just torn down their entire franchise in order to rebuild around him as its cornerstone and went 3-13 for his rookie season. Speaking of which, all three of these guys had demonstrably bad rookie years that you are using as a point of comparison. This wasn't Tebow's rookie year. His completion percentage actually went down last year instead of up.Even if we accept all three of your selections as entirely valid, that would still probably qualify as "infrequent" at best.

Good post. Rarely do people point out that Tebow had a GREAT TD to INT ratio. Why is completion percentage the only thing that matters? Elway was a trainwreck his first 16 games in the TD to INT department. During his first season as a QB, he threw 7 td's, 14 picks and his team went 4-6 in the ten games he started.
You're talking about an entirely different era in football. Elway played when ~50% completion percentage and an even ratio of TDs to picks was Pro-Bowl worthy.

I don't care about all that stuff. I'm talking football here. He got all the insane attention because of what he did on the football field, not because of the other stuff.
That is not correct, and it's obvious. If it's his play on the field that got him all this attention then why didn't Cam Newton get more attention, since he was so much better on the field? It's "what he stands for" that has generated the majority of the attention.

How about the guy driving Tebow out of town?The previous Denver golden boy went from 47% completion in his first season to a high of 63% in 1993. Granted it took Elway 10 years to improve above 58%, but it can be done.

I don't care about all that stuff. I'm talking football here. He got all the insane attention because of what he did on the football field, not because of the other stuff.
That is not correct, and it's obvious. If it's his play on the field that got him all this attention then why didn't Cam Newton get more attention, since he was so much better on the field? It's "what he stands for" that has generated the majority of the attention.
Cam Newton has less attention because he threw 17 picks and lost a majority of his games. He is fools gold... looks pretty out there, but that will never ever win. Period! He has more work than Tebow to do in terms of winning.

Cam is vastly superior to Tebow. Don't even get started with that nonsense.

I don't think the disrespect Tebow gets is unwarranted. I would argue that he was one of the most overrated players in the league last year by the general public. He got way too much credit for his team's modest accomplishments. What we're seeing now with Denver's acquisition of Manning and the low trade value of Tebow is that actual professional NFL evaluators don't rate him as a viable starting QB. If they did, Denver would've kept him or the asking price would have been a lot higher.

Haters hate that he's an outspoken Christian and a goody-two shoes, and that he has a huge loyal following. He's not a conventional QB, yet still wins, and that fuels the hate even more. Take this in context of the numerous punks who fill NFL rosters, and it makes no sense whatsoever. But haters gonna hate.

I don't think the disrespect Tebow gets is unwarranted. I would argue that he was one of the most overrated players in the league last year by the general public. He got way too much credit for his team's modest accomplishments. What we're seeing now with Denver's acquisition of Manning and the low trade value of Tebow is that actual professional NFL evaluators don't rate him as a viable starting QB. If they did, Denver would've kept him or the asking price would have been a lot higher.
Cam is vastly superior how? What metric are you using that matters related to wins? He looks prettier. You can use emotions... that is a feminine trait. Whatever metric you use, go and test it against real data... you will find out that you are a moron.

Cam is vastly superior how? What metric are you using that matters related to wins? He looks prettier. You can use emotions... that is a feminine trait. Whatever metric you use, go and test it against real data... you will find out that you are a moron.
I'm not sure a response is necessary given that you will be on vacation for a little while....

How about the guy driving Tebow out of town?The previous Denver golden boy went from 47% completion in his first season to a high of 63% in 1993. Granted it took Elway 10 years to improve above 58%, but it can be done.
So two guys in the last thirty years means that it now happens frequently, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread