What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 90s. We are done. If I knock out Amadeus/Brazil/Ran, We get to have an 80s countdown!! (2 Viewers)

You're missing out on some good flicks my man.  The sandlot reminds me of my youth, playing ball with my buddies.  
I have no doubt that I am.    Thinking about the oldest kid, he spooked easy and we watched animated movies a lot.  When we got into more live action movies, we either watched crap that I had emotional attachment to from that age he was (mostly 80s movies) or newer stuff.    His favorites were Bill and Ted, Karate Kid, Kicking and Screaming, and Kevin James movies.   We never really bothered with 90s family movies that I hadn't seen.  

Also don’t think anyone mentioned Hudson Hawk yet.  Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine 
Definitely wouldn't make a list of 100 Best movies, but it's definitely one my favorite guilty pleasure movies. It's like they started out making a serious heist flick, and then took a major detour into hilarious slapstick and over the top ridiculousness (which they even acknowledge in the final scene.) You can tell the cast had a lot of fun making it. Even Sandra Bernhard is funny in this. Another guilty pleasure for me would be Nothing But Trouble  - Chevy Chase, Akryod, John Candy in another so over-the-top, beyond ridiculous movie you wonder WTF were they smoking when they made it?

Be interesting to see someone go through like a list of Razzie worst movie nominee's and winners (of which Hudson Hawk is one I believe) and pick out the cult favorites and underrated gems.

Edit: Honorary guilty pleasure nod to Joe vs The Volcano as well while on the subject of big time actors in weird movies that bombed...

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt.  I had it at #5.  Have you seen the sequel?  I've heard good things but still haven't got around to it.

In the same realm, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels definitely makes my Top 100
The sequel was just o.k. It was good to revisit the characters, but it didn't have the same sharpness to it that made the original so great.

When I saw True Romance, I thought, this would be an all-timer If someone other than Slater was the lead. Still likely makes my top 100 of the decade.

someone mentioned it earlier, but Slater was playing the role of QT here, even if his name was Clarence Worley. 

he was, at heart, a geeky film and comic nerd - with a very huge obsession with Elvis ... reluctantly fleshed into more action than he bargained for, but equal to the task - and i think Slater hit it out the park - he has a goody aloofness to him, so "anti cool" that he actually is cool.  when he says "i watch that hillbilly on screen, and i wanna be him", well that's QT saying saying the same about Clarence - obviously vicarious indulgence, imo. 

i could see him winning this role fresh off of his "Heathers" turn, where, again, the whole concept of "cool" gets called into play ... though it's derailed by anti social, psychotic means - Veronica: "you know what i really need? Cool guys like you outta my life for good"

i think he fit this to a tee, and was well on his way to becoming that era's Nicholson ... but then things went kinda awry in a hurry. 

you are a movie junkie. 

it was released in 1993. 

1993!

Tarantino script - Slater, Arquette, Kilmer, Rapaport, Pitt, Sizemore, C Penn, Pinchot, Oldman, Hopper, Walken, Gandolfini ... etc. 

matter of fact, i'd be hard pressed to find better movie making than the Hopper/Walken/Gandolfini "Sicilian" scene.  if that 10 minute passage ain't the best of the 90s, it's sure as #### tied for first. 

i'd be interested in what those 5 are ... 

bottom line is that leaving this off a top 100 is travishmockery enough ... but never bothering to even have ONE sit with it, for a cat who loves flix as much as you do, is downright absurd.  

:shrug:
I agree.  That scene is an all-time great.

btw, if anybody was craving more bat#### crazy Amanda Plummer, she amped it up to the Nth in the 1996 gem i mentioned a couple days ago ... man, you guys really missed to boat on "Freeway" - easy top 10 for me. 

Dan Hedeya, Brooke Shields, Reese W, Brittany Murphy, Keifer S, Bokeem Woodbine, Conchetta Ferrel ... just a sensational black comedy - cannot get enough of it.  Reese peaked here, imo, in her first starring vehicle - if you've never seen it, you'll never look at her the same afterwards. 

OK, MR. POTTY MOUTH?!?

🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤
Was this the movie based on Little Red Riding Hood? I remember loving it but haven't seen it in about 25 years.

That's right. I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.

#3:  UNFORGIVEN

My #10 and 80s' #7.     This was one of my biggest surprises of the countdown, and I hinted to @Ilov80s that one in the top 10 might surprise even him.     I usually detest westerns, but this rewatch really got to me this time around and I ended up watching it twice.    
That's because it's so much more than "a Western".

Presumed Innocent - One of Ford's best, and overlooked performances...and chick attorney was smoking hot.  Dennehe and Julia so good too.

Rounders - if you play poker, you get it...but Norton and Damon are terrific, Malkovich too.

Searching for Bobby Fischer - Makes my personal top 10 for the decade.   I love this movie.  Kingsley, the kid, the parents.  I think this is close to a perfect film.
I would agree with these three for sure.  Fischer and Presumed Innocent as kind of off the standard great movie discussions that were really good.  Presumed Innocent is one of my all time favorites.  I love that type of movie.

Rounders is just so quotable, rewatchable, and great.  Almost perfect movie to me. 

two of my favorite movies of all time, not that I would put either in any top 10 lists. i get strange looks when i say that about Grosse Pointe especially. Aykroid's best role in his later life. Long Kiss Goodnight is one of those movies i've watched a ton and I don't know what about it I like so much. the character relationship between Samuel Jackson and Geena Davis just worked so well.
Geena: Are you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?

SLJ:  I hope not, cuz I'm thinin' about how much my balls hurt!

:lmao:

Lots of good omissions already mentioned, these aren't all necessarily in my top 100 but they are ones I don't think I saw mentioned yet that might have made it in to some lists (some artsy, some fartsy, not going with the big budget action movies since those were nixed early for inclusion): Pi, Jacob's Ladder, Pump Up the Volume, Barton Fink, Nightmare Before Xmas, Thelma & Louise, Dogma, eXistenZ, Romper Stomper, La Femme Nikita, Event Horizon, The Sandlot, To Die For, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Fried Green Tomatoes, Bowfinger & Galaxy Quest. I'm sure there are others i am forgetting too.

Can't believe I forgot the Sandlot!  And I can't believe it didnt make the list!  You're Killin me smalls!

!!! great call on Sandlot. the original bad news bears didn't age well and the remake just sucked, but this one I rewatched a couple of times and it sticks. the entire movie has voiceover though so not a surprise it's not on KP's list. :lmao:

Other Favorites that Barely Missed the Cut

Go - iconic late 90s for me(ecstasy, raves etc.)

Species  - sci fi guilty pleasure

The Ninth Gate - has great style, dialogue - a bit corny at times, somewhat on purpose

The Addams Family - I love these films
Agree with your assessment, but not sure it sniffs my top 100, and I have it on DVD.  its such a slow moving movie for me with little snippets of action.  Didn't care for the ending.

(Species had nice scenery)

slapped a top 26 ... 

26) Axe Murderer

25) The Craft

24) Fifth Element

23) GO! 

22) But I'm A Cheerleader

21) Braveheart

20) Virgin Suicides

19) The Professional

18) Leaving Las Vegas

17) The Birdcage

16) Ed Wood

15) The Usual Suspects

14) Trainspotting

13) Cable Guy

12) Goodfellas

11) The Big Lebowski

10) State of Grace

9)  Reservoir Dogs

8 - Sling Blade

7)  True Romance

6)  Freeway

5)  Donnie Brasco

4)  Boogie

3)  Fargo

2)  Buffalo '66

1) Glengarry Glen Ross 

33) Carlito's Way

32) Lost Highway

31) In The Name of The Father

30) Gas, Food, Lodging

29) Dead Presidents

28)  Butcher Boy

27) The Ice Storm

well, that's 1/3 of a c-note

🎬 📽 🎞

Agree with your assessment, but not sure it sniffs my top 100, and I have it on DVD.  its such a slow moving movie for me with little snippets of action.  Didn't care for the ending.

yeah, Ninth Gate didn't make mine either.   But would be close.

Ione, right? 

I feel like there were a handful of films like this in the 90s- quirky people in quirky locations doing a quirky job... all good.

yes, AND Fairuza 🖤

have you seen "The Rachel Diaries", where Ione vexes a young Jagger wannabe?

breathtakingly beautiful young lady. 

yes, AND Fairuza 🖤

have you seen "The Rachel Diaries", where Ione vexes a young Jagger wannabe?

breathtakingly beautiful young lady. 
Ad rock down with the ione. Listen to the #### because both of them is boney. Got to do it like this like chachi and joanie

haven't seen Rachel. for some reason just thought of "If" with the real young Jagger. 

someone mentioned it earlier, but Slater was playing the role of QT here, even if his name was Clarence Worley. 

he was, at heart, a geeky film and comic nerd - with a very huge obsession with Elvis ... reluctantly fleshed into more action than he bargained for, but equal to the task - and i think Slater hit it out the park - he has a goody aloofness to him, so "anti cool" that he actually is cool.  when he says "i watch that hillbilly on screen, and i wanna be him", well that's QT saying saying the same about Clarence - obviously vicarious indulgence, imo. 

i could see him winning this role fresh off of his "Heathers" turn, where, again, the whole concept of "cool" gets called into play ... though it's derailed by anti social, psychotic means - Veronica: "you know what i really need? Cool guys like you outta my life for good"

i think he fit this to a tee, and was well on his way to becoming that era's Nicholson ... but then things went kinda awry in a hurry. 
He spent all of Heathers mugging and doing an over-the-top impression of Nicholson, and wasn't much different here. Not my thing. But everyone/everything else in True Romance, I loved. 

He was also in Kuffs, which was awesome and another glaring omission.

I fine list......I don’t agree with some rankings (of course this is highly subjective) but the top 10 with the exception of Heat is very strong. I am just not a big fan of Heat at all. 

I saw 80 out of the 100 listed. 

I missed the discussion of the final ten. Was out of touch with the board a bit. A positive: Shawshank ranked so highly, as is Silence. A negative: No Forrest Gump? C'mon. 

I missed the discussion of the final ten. Was out of touch with the board a bit. A positive: Shawshank ranked so highly, as is Silence. A negative: No Forrest Gump? C'mon. 
Gump is so out of place in 2021. It's a Boomer "remember when" story. 

What were the mid 90s like? Well,  we went to the movies to watch Forrest Gump. Then we did Forrest Gump impressions with friends while we listened to the Forrest Gump soundtrack before we went to eat at the Forrest Gump restaurant. 

What were the mid 90s like? Well,  we went to the movies to watch Forrest Gump. Then we did Forrest Gump impressions with friends while we listened to the Forrest Gump soundtrack before we went to eat at the Forrest Gump restaurant. 
I wouldn't take it that far. Some people did. Most of us were riveted by Pulp Fiction in the theatres and thought Shawshank was the better movie, but Gump should crack the top hundred, if you ask me. 

For all the Gump hate that came about its way for having an impaired character and its being an attempt at a conservative epic, it really was grand in its scope and was a great movie, IMO. Unlike other disingenuous narrative devices, the character was impaired in the book, so it's not like they chose it as a narrative driver. Of course, the book was wildly different because the character was an autistic savant and the jokes were ribald (Jenny was more like Myrna Minkoff from Confederacy Of Dunces) but that's neither here nor there. It was a great movie, with awesome cultural references and touchstones. 

I dug it then and it holds up upon viewing. 

I wouldn't take it that far. Some people did. Most of us were riveted by Pulp Fiction in the theatres and thought Shawshank was the better movie, but Gump should crack the top hundred, if you ask me. 
You aren't being unreasonable. Obviously it was a huge commercial and critical success. It's part of a long distinguished history of long populace movies that won over the country upon release by tapping into a certain nostalgia or zeitgeist at just the right time. Titanic, Gone with the Wind, Yankee Doodle Dandy, How the Was Was Won, The Ten Commandments. 

For all the Gump hate that came about its way for having an impaired character and its being an attempt at a conservative epic, it really was grand in its scope and was a great movie, IMO. Unlike other disingenuous narrative devices, the character was impaired in the book, so it's not like they chose it as a narrative driver. Of course, the book was wildly different because the character was an autistic savant and the jokes were ribald (Jenny was more like Myrna Minkoff from Confederacy Of Dunces) but that's neither here nor there. It was a great movie, with awesome cultural references and touchstones. 

I dug it then and it holds up upon viewing. 
I don't get it. Obviously it isn't meant to be any kind of realistic portrayal of anything. So is it meant to be allegorical?  We get a tour of the most memorable sights, sounds  and events of a generation through the eyes of someone who is incapable of understanding what is happening around him. I just don't get it or what it is trying to do. 

I just don't get it or what it is trying to do
The book was a young adult novel. It was meant to teach some history through a protagonist who essentially let the other characters speak for him. It was meant to be a bit of a lesson, and a bit of a humorous epic, like Don Quixote. Imagine Forrest as a 240 pound, 6'4" ridiculous-looking autistic savant (mathematics), and you've got the book. Unlike in the movie, he 

• visits Africa
  • plays in a one-man band in New Orleans
  • I forget the other stuff
among other things. It was a funny book to read as a teenager, and it suited my temperament just fine. It was politically incorrect, and like I said, ribald. 

I don't get it. Obviously it isn't meant to be any kind of realistic portrayal of anything. So is it meant to be allegorical?  We get a tour of the most memorable sights, sounds  and events of a generation through the eyes of someone who is incapable of understanding what is happening around him. I just don't get it or what it is trying to do. 

i saw it as akin to Little Big Man - good movie, better book - as a way to tell the story of an era thru the story of a single person. i tried to do it myself - telling the story of France, from the final years of Louis XV thru his grandson's difficulties, the Revolution, the Terror, Napoleon's rise & fall and ultimate  restoration of the Throne (all in all, over 40 years of the densest history human life has yet provided), by chronicling the career of a courtesan who serviced the principals - but wasnt up to the task. it's a wonderful way of making history entertaining, not often enough attempted.

Thanks to KP and 80s for a really fun thread.  Different opinions are what makes this board interesting...a great time was had by all.  

So when is the next one?   :boxing:
Honest answer is probably a couple months.    Looking at my initial list of 60-70 that I made the last couple days and thinking about my experience with the rewatches, I am not going to watch nearly as many as I did for the 90s, but I did write down about 20-25 that are on my radar for either watching for the first time ever or just in a very long time.   I am going to be opinionated and uncompromising about my top 50-70, and not much is going to change if I watch Karate Kid for the 300th time.   

For me the much harder balance is going to be how to grade out the Ghostbusters vs. the Raging Bull type movies.    Way more than the 90s there is going to be a "battle" of nostalgia vs. what I think are actual great movies.  

as a way to tell the story of an era thru the story of a single person.
Yep. History through the eyes of a person with severe limitations and a problem with social niceties, too. He tells the story as an ur-rationalist in this case, which gives things a very methodical, cold feel to them. All the more for Groom to sort of avoid politics and present the history as almost a factual thing, rather than have it wrapped up in any bias (of course, just doing that winds up biased). But to present the history as dispassionately as he does is also a choice to inure himself of critical dissent from the novel's interesting politics, something the author didn't really avoid in the end.  

Users who are viewing this thread