What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 05 2023 who should I start thread **OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Chaka

Footballguy
This is where we ask questions and offer help.

Thank you to all the posters who come here to offer that help.

A couple notes:

I attempt to give well considered responses to all questions posted. I can't get to everything, but I'll try.

1) This only works if people participate. If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) It helps if you post the matchup. e.g. Cousins vs Den or James Cook @ Mia

3) Please post important league scoring considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).
3a) POST MATCHUPS PLEASE

4) Please go easy on the nicknames, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

Let the bye weeks begin

I always post results of my head-2-head choices for the previous week and keep a season long tally. I compare those results to the results if I used a coin toss instead.

I don't keep a tally when asked to choose between more than two players because I'm not sure how to score it and don't want to get into fractions to keep the tally.

Last Week I went 37-26-3 and the randbetween went 32-31-3

On the season I am 162-144-10 and the randbetween is 152-154-10

Michael Wilson vs. Cin or Tank Dell @ Atl? Non-PPR. I keep flipping between the two. Currently leaning Tank.

Last edited:
Michael Wilson vs. Cin or Tank Dell @ Atl? Non-PPR. I keep flipping between the two.
No earthly idea with these two. Wilson seems like chasing points this week (like Dell was last week) and, while Dobbs has been playing lights out, Stroud has probably been better.

Dell had a weak outing but it seems possible game script had something to do with that as Stroud only threw 30x to 41x for Dobbs. Even so Stroud has 28 more attempts over the first four games.

Flip a coin. For at least one more week I probably go with
Dell>Wilson

Michael Wilson vs. Cin or Tank Dell @ Atl? Non-PPR. I keep flipping between the two.
No earthly idea with these two. Wilson seems like chasing points this week (like Dell was last week) and, while Dobbs has been playing lights out, Stroud has probably been better.

Dell had a weak outing but it seems possible game script had something to do with that as Stroud only threw 30x to 41x for Dobbs. Even so Stroud has 28 more attempts over the first four games.

Flip a coin. For at least one more week I probably go with
Dell>Wilson
I'm thinking that as well, thank you. My positives for Wilson are lack of target competition (seems like it's just Hollywood and Ertz at this point) and he looks the part of an X receiver. Negatives are Dobbs may not pass his way as much, and Stroud is just a better QB. Hoping this is a rebound week for Dell.

Sam Howell vs Bears (TNF)
CJ Stroud vs Falcons

Stroud seems like the safe choice, but Bears defense has given up 3 passing TDs in 3 of their 4 games and 300 yards/1 TD in the other one, given up 19+ fantasy points all 4 weeks. It is still TNF though.
Stroud is the safer call for sure, he might also be the upside call too. He has two pass TDs in each of his last three games, Howell has one such game in his first five games as a starter. Howell apparently is pretty mobile but he hasn't had the pocket awareness to take advantage of his running lanes yet. The only QB getting sacked more than Justin Fields (17) is Howell who has been sacked 24 times in 4 games 24!!! He's on pace to shatter the single season record for being sacked by 26 sacks.

Chicago is a tempting defense to start your guys against for sure but how much more are you expecting from him relative to what Stroud has been consistently giving you?

Stroud>Howell

RoS question.

In a PPR who do you like better Nico Collins or Michael Pittman?

I am trying to ignore recency bias on this one. Nico scored 46% of his season points this week. Going into week 4 Pittman had outscored Nico by 9 points.

Same question between Khalil Herbert & Jerome Ford?

Ford is on the better team and has a better schedule, possibly less competition, but Herbert is simply more talented. Probably by a good margin.

RoS question.

I am trying to ignore recency bias on this one. Nico scored 46% of his season points this week. Going into week 4 Pittman had outscored Nico by 9 points.

Ford is on the better team and has a better schedule, possibly less competition, but Herbert is simply more talented. Probably by a good margin.
Nico looks like an absolute stud and has the better QB. Pittman is a solid possession type WR but doesnt offer Nico's upside. I like Nico.

I like Ford better than Herbert. Hes had some tough luck facing two tough defenses (one with an injured QB) but he is the goal line threat, catches the ball, and breaks tackles. Herbert is probably more talented but I dont trust Chicago turned things around just because they faced Denver. Give me Ford.

Appreciate your input as always. Standard scoring, need 2 from the below WRs

Kupp vs Eagles - no-brainer start when healthy but do you trust him out of the gate, assuming he plays
Collins @ Falcons - Slight consistency issues aside, looks a solid 2 at the very least
Aiyuk vs Cowboys - about as tough a matchup as there is but with Deebo banged up, usually produces
Olave @ Patriots - QB issues, doesn't score tds, love the talent though

Def - Ravens @ Steelers or Lions vs Panthers

RoS question.

I go Nico over Pittman. QB play is just way more consistent so far. Herbert vs Ford a little tougher. Probably lean Ford until Herbert proves last week wasn't a one off.

Who would you rather have question. PPR league.

* R. Doubs -- Getting targeted but C. Watson not really back yet. Could he still be Love's #1? Maybe.

or

* T. Dell -- Had two great games, but then laid an egg. Stroud looks legit and this team is looking to pass. O Line could get healthier too so this team could get frisky on offense.

Note: Either one of these guys acting as my #3 WR. I'm looking to trade one away in a deal to get J. Gibbs.

Thanks!

Ford is on the better team and has a better schedule, possibly less competition, but Herbert is simply more talented. Probably by a g
Nico, but it's close.
Ford by a long ways. Much better situation by a mile.

I am assuming Saquon is out again this week. If he is, I need to fill a flex spot in a full PPR league.

Khalil Herbert or Tyler Boyd?

Ouch.

Kupp vs Eagles - no-brainer start when healthy but do you trust him out of the gate, assuming he plays
Collins @ Falcons - Slight consistency issues aside, looks a solid 2 at the very least
Aiyuk vs Cowboys - about as tough a matchup as there is but with Deebo banged up, usually produces

I haven't heard boo out of anyone re: Kupp's status. The 21 day window is open and that's it. Let's see if he even practices. And, considering your other options you probably aren't locked into starting him.

Feels like chasing points with Nico but the Texans are a pass first team and Stroud looks very comfortable playing at this level. He should average in the 9 target range going forward and there will definitely be down games as defenses start to adjust to Stroud but he seems like a stable option. Hard to believe I like him more than Olave and probably Aiyuk this week.

Olave is great but he's got a QB with a busted wing who can't throw further than 5 yards. Winston would be an upgrade for Olave but if that doesn't happen I don't see how you can trust him on the road this week.

Aiyuk is a solid start against anyone but, even when he's playing great he doesn't get a ton of volume and McCaffrey is stealing all the TDs. Now the Cowboys are technically the #1 or #2 real world and fantasy defense against WRs but look at who they have played. I don't think anyone would argue to much if I said the Giants, Jets, Cardinals & Patriots have the four worst combo of QB/Receiver Room in the league. There may be more opportunity for Aiyuk than it seems on the surface this week.

For me, unless Kupp is a full go all week, it's a bit of a toss up between Aiyuk & Collins. And I think I lean
Nico>Aiuyk

For your defense it's always a coin flip but I'm backing the Lions at home for sure
Lions>Ravens

* R. Doubs -- Getting targeted but C. Watson not really back yet. Could he still be Love's #1? Maybe.

or

* T. Dell -- Had two great games, but then laid an egg. Stroud looks legit and this team is looking to pass. O Line could get healthier too so this team could get frisky on offense.

Note: Either one of these guys acting as my #3 WR. I'm looking to trade one away in a deal to get J. Gibbs.

Thanks!
I think you're happy with either but I like Doubs more, even if consensus probably prefers Dell. I just think, week-over-week he will be a bigger part of the Packer offense than Dell. But I could easily be wrong about that. The Texans run a pass first offense and Dell should have some big PPR weeks. Doubs may be more TD dependent but he looks like Love's most trusted guy ATM.

It's very close so your going to just have to decide on who you would hate to see have a great season on another team less.

Doubs>Dell

1.5 PPR, please pick 3:
Chase vs Cards
DJ Moore vs Commanders
Nico vs Falcons
Garrett vs Broncos

Thanks!
This is one of those situations that we will almost certainly get wrong.

DJ Moore just keeps producing even if we hate starting him, he goes out and makes something happen. Two games with 100+ yards, two games with a TD. One down game on the season and that was week 1. He could easily beat out all these guys this week. Unfortunately he is getting the least # of looks.

Ja'Marr is getting 10 looks per game but we all know the problems Cinci is dealing with. We know, or think we know, they will eventually turn it around but it has cost players in three of four weeks so far this year. Will this be the week? Uh....maybe?

Garrett sure seems to have the easiest matchup by a good margin. After the Dolphins game I was willing to give the Broncos a mulligan but to give up 500+ yards and 4 TD passes to Justin Fields & the Bears? No, that looks like a defense that has quit. I am surprised Vance Johnson still has a job. Wilson has managed some decent numbers in a bad situation. The Jets have faced 3 strong defenses (the Bills came out slow and New England is just okay) and Wilson has been...pretty good. Now they have an incredibly tasty matchup on the table... any team with Zach Wilson at QB has to make you nervous but still...

Nico is probably your steady Eddie choice. The game at Jacksonville feels like an outlier. This guy looks like he's going to see 9 targets/game for the rest of the year. Atlanta has a pretty strong pass defense so far this year so it may not be easy but, even if he doesn't lead your options this week it probably won't be due to lack of opportunity.

Yeah, total coin toss here and I imagine you are going to keep going back and forth until kickoff on Sunday (or tomorrow), I know I will be. At the moment I am leaning
Wilson>Nico>Chase>DJ

Ask me again in 5 minutes and you'll get a different answer.

I am assuming Saquon is out again this week. If he is, I need to fill a flex spot in a full PPR league.

Ouch.
Boyd isn't even on my radar TBH. Herbert at least has the opportunity to see 10-20 opportunities.

Maybe if Tee is declared out (he's DNP today) I would reconsider but right now
Herbert>Boyd

I hate my RBs:

Herbert vs WAS
or
Gibbs vs CAR

half ppr
I'm looking at the same choice (full PPR), right now I have
Gibbs>Herbert

But that's partly because I am trying to package Herbert to get a WR. Also, if I was in a non-PPR league I would probably have it
Herbert>Gibbs

In a 0.5 PPR league...I think you probably need to risk it with Herbert because he at least has a much clearer path to 10 touches with 20 touch potential. I don't see that in Gibbs as long as Montgomery is around.

Final answer
Herbert>Gibbs

Ouch.
Boyd isn't even on my radar TBH. Herbert at least has the opportunity to see 10-20 opportunities.

Herbert>Boyd

Two reasons to consider Boyd. One is Higgins maybe being out this week which you mentioned. Two, if Saquon is playing Sunday (he practiced today), Boyd gives me the option to switch out last minute before kickoff. Herbert is going tomorrow.

4pts per pass TD
Jordan Love @ LV
or
Justin Fields @ WAS

Both good matchups, but I have a hard time trusting either with how bad they've looked at times.

Ouch.

Herbert>Boyd

Two reasons to consider Boyd. One is Higgins maybe being out this week which you mentioned. Two, if Saquon is playing Sunday (he practiced today), Boyd gives me the option to switch out last minute before kickoff. Herbert is going tomorrow.
Yup. You have to make a decision based on timing. You're going to have to follow the practice reports tomorrow before making a decision. I guess you have to weigh the downside of Higgins playing & Saquon not. Even if Higgins is out can we really trust the Bengals against a Cardinals team that is playing their hearts out?

For me, Herbert gave me enough of a glimmer of hope that I still like him a little more than the risk you assume by not starting him.

4pts per pass TD
Jordan Love @ LV
or
Justin Fields @ WAS

Both good matchups, but I have a hard time trusting either with how bad they've looked at times.
Man...I mean...man...

Love is probably the right choice. His consistency has been amazing. He may even have room in his ceiling with Watson presumably back in action.

Fields has plenty of ceiling, he hasn't been as bad as a fantasy QB as real world QB and last week was great but it was the Broncos and his floor is still kinda low.

Classic upside vs floor play

Love>Fields

Sam Howell vs Bears (TNF)
CJ Stroud vs Falcons

Stroud seems like the safe choice, but Bears defense has given up 3 passing TDs in 3 of their 4 games and 300 yards/1 TD in the other one, given up 19+ fantasy points all 4 weeks. It is still TNF though.
CJ seems like the real deal. Offense has been efficient and overcomes deficiencies very well. Lock him in as your starter.

or

Thanks!
I think you're happy with either but I like Doubs more, even if consensus probably prefers Dell. I just think, week-over-week he will be a bigger part of the Packer offense than Dell. But I could easily be wrong about that. The Texans run a pass first offense and Dell should have some big PPR weeks. Doubs may be more TD dependent but he looks like Love's most trusted guy ATM.

It's very close so your going to just have to decide on who you would hate to see have a great season on another team less.

Doubs>Dell

Dell probably the more volatile asset. Probably have higher peaks and lower valleys. Mack a mole ish.

Ddoubs maybe more consistent. Seems to produce each week.

.5 PPR

Gotta sit one

Stevenson vs NO
Pacheco @ MIN
Robinson Jr vs CHI
Lamb @ SF
Nacua vs PHI
Watson @ LV

Also
Erts vs CIN
Ferguson @ SF

RoS question.

Nico: ROS is a tough call. Really like both Nico and Pittman. Pittman is more proven as the #1 WR and has a healthy target share. However, if I had to pick one, Nico is the guy more likely to move the needle for your team. I believe in CJ Stroud producing more WR points than A Richardson. Swap QB and I’d say Pittman is the man.

Ford: Herbert is a very good RB but pass protection is virtually nonexistent. See him losing more playing time to Roschon. Denver game was more of an outlier where Chicago game plan was to go run heavy. I could be wrong of course. Just my opinion. Ford is in a better situation with a superior OL. When Watson comes back, the offense opens up. Ford is an easy choice for me.

K Herbert @ Wash
J Warren vs Baltimore
Herbert easy call. Pittsburgh offense doesn’t have anyone worth starting right now. Warren would be a desperation play hoping to catch a week where he breaks off some splash plays including a TD. Possible but not likely.

or

Thanks!

Doubs>Dell

Dell probably the more volatile asset. Probably have higher peaks and lower valleys. Mack a mole ish.

Ddoubs maybe more consistent. Seems to produce each week.
I can see why it's frustrating to try and pick one of these guys. Personally I think Doubs's role in the offense isn't impacted by Watson's return. I think Reed is the guy whose role will change.

Dell is very good and I agree with your assessment. I see a lot more volatility with him and I am not sure he is a red zone option as much as Doubs. Doubs has 4 RZ targets to 1 for Dell.

You're fine with either I just kinda like Doubs.

Nico and Aiyuk for me. Patriots D usually takes away the opponents top option. As for Kupp, it’s hard to trust he is ready for 100% of the workload in his first week back especially with how well Puka has been. Probably going to ease him back.

D you shouldn’t listen to me. Steeler fan and Lamar is usually good for a couple turnovers each week. Steelers are looking to come out physical and angry. I’m starting Pittsburgh D

or

Thanks!
Trade either in a package to get Gibbs. Let the person you are trading with have the choice if it helps seal the deal.

If you choose, I’d keep Tank if you want more upside. Doubs to maintain a decent floor. Whatever fits your roster better.

or

Thanks!
Trade either in a package to get Gibbs. Let the person you are trading with have the choice if it helps seal the deal.

If you choose, I’d keep Tank if you want more upside. Doubs to maintain a decent floor. Whatever fits your roster better.
Yup.

I'm trying to package Warren and one of those WRs.

And honestly, I think Warren may have a greater chance to unseat Harris vs. Gibbs unseating Montgomery...and right now Warren is outproducing Gibbs! So the Gibbs owner getting a startable WR to boot seems like a fair deal...

...Hmmm. Now thinking I'm giving too much!

.5 PPR

Gotta sit one

Stevenson vs NO
Pacheco @ MIN
Robinson Jr vs CHI
Lamb @ SF
Nacua vs PHI
Watson @ LV

Also
Erts vs CIN
Ferguson @ SF
I think it comes down to Stevenson v Watson for me but I think most others would say it's between Pacheco & Watson.

I think Pacheco is dearly underrated. 12-14-18 & 23 opportunities over the first four games, is averaging 4.9 ypc & 9 y/r with 2 TDs in 4 games. Yes it may be a passing game but Pacheco has earned a spot in most lineups IMO.

Rhamondre has to get on track at some point, right? He gets great volume but defenses aren't respecting the passing game of New England even one little bit and New Orleans won't either. He is a classic volume play.

Watson is still only "participating" in practice. He should be fine and it's a great matchup for him (Raiders are good for a couple blown coverages/game) but, IMO he still reads like a player on a pitch count.

Pacheco>Rhamondre>Watson

Ouch.
Could be worse. I’d take a shot at Tyler Boyd with Higgins injury. Bengals are going to bounce back. Just a matter of time and Boyd is underrated.

Full PPR

I'm sweating these WR3s in the lineup with Waddle & Chase sputtering while Lockett is on bye. I'm still starting Waddle & Chase but...

Need 3:
(Slim) Pickens vs Baltimore
J. Reed at Vegas
M. Wilson vs Cincy
Atwell vs Philly
LaPorta vs Carolina*

*starting Andrews at TE this week but considering LaPorta as flex

Full PPR

I'm sweating these WR3s in the lineup with Waddle & Chase sputtering while Lockett is on bye. I'm still starting Waddle & Chase but...

Need 3:
J. Reed at Vegas
M. Wilson vs Cincy
Atwell vs Philly
LaPorta vs Carolina*

Pickens. Steelers offense is putrid. No Diontae or Freiermuth… Pickens should end up with the most targets and probably be playing from behind for 3.5 quarters. Tomlin has to find ways to get him involved as much as possible.

Full PPR

Need 3:
J. Reed at Vegas
M. Wilson vs Cincy
Atwell vs Philly
LaPorta vs Carolina*

I can't trust Pickens ATM, particularly with a gimpy Pickett. You're hoping for a big play, which certainly could happen as he's pretty good at contested catches but I hate trying to capture those kind of points.

Jayden Reed had one very good game, because he scored twice. With Watson, presumably back at least a little better than last week I am hesitant to roll out Reed.

Wilson is certainly the flavor of the week but he had 9 targets total over the first three games then gets seven with a couple TDs. That feels like the definition of chasing points.

If Kupp is out again, and there isn't much reason to think he'll play, Tutu should see another 9 targets against a Philly D that has been one of the worst in the league against the pass all season.

LaPorta is a very good option too. The only problem is teams run so well against them it's easy to see the passing game suffer a bit. I don't think they're the #6 passing defense in the league because their talent is shutting opposing players down it's because teams are only throwing the ball 27.5 times/game against them.

Tutu>Pickens>Reed>LaPorta>Wilson

FPC scoring:
I know how you loathe tight ends,but I need to start one of these,who?:

C.Okonkwo @ Ind
D.Knox vs Jax

And,if S.Barkley is active Sunday but possibly on a "pitch count":
S.Barkley @ Mia or
Z,Flowers @ Pitt

Users who are viewing this thread