What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Welker to Denver (1 Viewer)

Just saw it:

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter

And there it is: what many in New England thought wouldn't happen has. Wes Welker has left the Patriots. He's a Bronco.

Huge impact move for Denver. Definitely increases their chances at a ring the next few years IMO. I think it really hurts NE too.

Slight upgrade for Manning. Slight downgrades to Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. This has to be a bigger downgrade to Welker. Just don't see him getting 188 targets like he did last year.

Wes Welker lands a two-year, $12 million deal from the Broncos.

Unbelievably cheapass of Pats not to be able to match that.

Does Manning even need to look before he throws? In a redraft, where do you put Manning? His floor for TDs, has to be roughly 40.

Slight upgrade for Manning. Slight downgrades to Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. This has to be a bigger downgrade to Welker. Just don't see him getting 188 targets like he did last year.
Lmao at both your slights. Both are huge upgrades and downgrades respectively

Wes Welker lands a two-year, $12 million deal from the Broncos. Unbelievably cheapass of Pats not to be able to match that.
Did they not match it, or did Welker not give them an opportunity to match it? I can't remember whether he was an UFA.

That offense just upgraded its slot position from Stokely to Welker.AFC shud be very afraid.Manning, Thomas, Decker, Welker. :shock:
Still need a run game for teams to not drop 7 into coverage every play. This also downgrades all three of those WRs. I don't expect any more passing stats than last season, which also already fairly high for Manning. You can't get any more and remain balanced. I think they all eat into each other's targets. Better if you're a Broncos fan but worse for all of them from a fantasy perspective.

Lmao at both your slights. Both are huge upgrades and downgrades respectively
Im not sure I would consider it huge for D Thomas, watching his routes and Welkers routes they seem like total opposites.Certainly kills Stokely chances of returning and perhaps a big shot at the 140 catches made by backs and tight ends.

That offense just upgraded its slot position from Stokely to Welker.AFC shud be very afraid.Manning, Thomas, Decker, Welker. :shock:
Still need a run game for teams to not drop 7 into coverage every play. This also downgrades all three of those WRs. I don't expect any more passing stats than last season, which also already fairly high for Manning. You can't get any more and remain balanced. I think they all eat into each other's targets. Better if you're a Broncos fan but worse for all of them from a fantasy perspective.
Please.Stokley had 45 catches and the RBS and TEs combined for 153 more. Welker will get 75 without a sweat and without "downgrades" all around.

Targets last season:Welker 188DT 148Decker 122Tamme 85Stokley 58Dressen 58RBs combined 82
I think that a large amount of Welkers targets will come from the TE/RB positions.
I agree with that, but I think the question is this: Does Welker get 100 targets or 150? If its 100 (keep in mind Stokley had almost 60), all they need to do is take away 40 targets from Tamme/Dressen/RBs. If its closer to 150, its gonna be a blow to DTs and Deckers numbers.

Please.Stokley had 45 catches and the RBS and TEs combined for 153 more. Welker will get 75 without a sweat and without "downgrades" all around.
Welker's going to clear 75 targets...by a lot. He's going to substantially cut into DT's and Decker's targets, come on.

Targets last season:Welker 188DT 148Decker 122Tamme 85Stokley 58Dressen 58RBs combined 82
I think that a large amount of Welkers targets will come from the TE/RB positions.
I agree with that, but I think the question is this: Does Welker get 100 targets or 150? If its 100 (keep in mind Stokley had almost 60), all they need to do is take away 40 targets from Tamme/Dressen/RBs. If its closer to 150, its gonna be a blow to DTs and Deckers numbers.

I don't see him getting more targets than Thomas next year. Peyton/DEN isn't the same system that they run in NE. I'd say 100-120 targets, with the majority coming from TE/RB.

That offense just upgraded its slot position from Stokely to Welker.

AFC shud be very afraid.

Manning, Thomas, Decker, Welker. :shock:
Please.Stokley had 45 catches and the RBS and TEs combined for 153 more.

Welker will get 75 without a sweat and without "downgrades" all around.
Welker's going to clear 75 targets...by a lot. He's going to substantially cut into DT's and Decker's targets, come on.
CATCHES.

2 years, 12 mill is the kind of deal, had he signed with the Pats, people would be going on and on about what a smart move it was.

Great signing.

Shocked....

Edit: Just saw that it's only a 2 year deal worth 12 million. How could the Patriots not match that? And didn't they offer him more than that before? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd guess Welker gets close to 150 targets -- he's a MUCH better player than is Decker who had 122 last year. Those will come at the expense of everyone but Thomas IMO.

Welker signed for less money than Brian Hartline. The 12 mil is fully guaranteed, but who cares. Manning is going to retire in two years after winning b2b SB rings.

I don't see him getting more targets than Thomas next year. Peyton/DEN isn't the same system that they run in NE. I'd say 100-120 targets, with the majority coming from TE/RB.
I'd agree that DT will still lead the team in targets. Stokley/TEs/RBs combined for almost 300 targets last year. Should be room to carve out 100-120 for Welker pretty easily.

In 2007, he signed a 5 year 17 million dollar contract after NE acquired him

Last year, he turned down the 2 year 16 million dollar contract, and played for 9.5 million as a tagged player.

6 years, 26 million is what he earned from the Patriots(cumulatively).

Both sides can say each other lost a litle bit here, but I think the patriots really put the screws to him.

How many catches did he have in his NE career?

He essentially averaged 4.5 million per year for all that production, frankly, I don'n blame him for leaving....

How bent is Brady right now, do you think? Gronk better stay healthy, or their offense really might begin to struggle.

On the flip side, I feel like Baltimore and New England have the two best front offices around. If they're both balking at paying $6M for their QBs' favorite possession WR, maybe there's a reason why. Don't know what it is though.

This is what happens when your GM is a former used car salesman.

Elway just got Welker into a Focus, with an extended warranty and the undercoating.

Is it just me or is that great value for a player like Welker? I know that he's strictly a slot WR, but 2 years at an average of 6 million for one of the most productive WR's over the last few years seems like a great bargain. Elway is one hell of a salesman.

Is it just me or is that great value for a player like Welker? I know that he's strictly a slot WR, but 2 years at an average of 6 million for one of the most productive WR's over the last few years seems like a great bargain. Elway is one hell of a salesman.
must be just you

Users who are viewing this thread