What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the GOP candidate in 2024? (1 Viewer)

What say ye?

• Total voters
Somehow I bet you snicker when you see Obama or Hillary stickers on cars still

I have traveled thousands of miles in the past few months, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, Kansas .... Trump2020 is still everywhere, on semi-trucks, bill boards, car's ...

I don't remember but 1 Biden poster in a yard in Florida
Seems a little sad that they are still clinging on to the loser of the election. They probably should learn to take defeat a little more gracefully

Seems a little sad that they are still clinging on to the loser of the election. They probably should learn to take defeat a little more gracefully
I drove from TN to Wisconsin and back…ran a few times while in Central Wisconsin and made a trip up nort a bit for some lake time.

I saw a whopping 3 Trump signs (2 of the three were 2020). I saw two Biden 2020.  And one Biden is not my President.

No…signs were not all over from what I saw.

I have traveled thousands of miles in the past few months, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, Kansas .... Trump2020 is still everywhere, on semi-trucks, bill boards, car's ...

You're mistaking loyalty for popularity. Trump was one of the most unpopular presidents. His approval rating never broke 50% and he lost to way-past-his-prime Joe Biden.

I drove from TN to Wisconsin and back…ran a few times while in Central Wisconsin and made a trip up nort a bit for some lake time.

I saw a whopping 3 Trump signs (2 of the three were 2020). I saw two Biden 2020.  And one Biden is not my President.

Were you on the interstate? I think there are 2 big ones on the sides of trailers on each side of the interstate about 2 miles from my house.  see them every day on the way to work.  

Were you on the interstate? I think there are 2 big ones on the sides of trailers on each side of the interstate about 2 miles from my house.  see them every day on the way to work.  
Saw one on the side of a trailer somewhere in the middle of Illinois.

I don't remember a president as popular in my lifetime as Trump .... from Wisconsin to Florida, signs all over the interstates and on people's cars STILL supporting 2020 Trump

name call the supporters all you want - at least they don't follow a senile old kid sniffer who picked a VP that believes his sexual assault accuser ... can't make that story up on Days of Our Lives  😵
Reminds me of the (apocryphal) Pauline Kael quote, “I don’t know how Nixon won. No one I know voted for him.”

well cognitively speaking, Biden has set the bar on mental stability - I doubt Trump will decline to that level in 3 years

its possible though and personally I'd like to see a young black vibrant GOP Presidential candidate in 2024 - I think the USA is ready for that
He's already there.  Cognitive condition isn't a positive for either of these two.

"Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV" 

Really...we need to be honest about this stuff.  :lol:  

Not sure if you were around the Madison area, but I still see left stickers and such- even Obama, Bernie, etc.   Once you get about 20miles outside of town, then the color chances noticeably.  
I drove right through there on the way to Ashland, and never saw a single Biden

which is what I said

Trump had support unlike any other I've seen

Biden voters would dump on him in a second - Obama voters did, GW and Bush .... Clinton has loyalty I think, but nothing like Trump

He's already there.  Cognitive condition isn't a positive for either of these two.

"Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV" 

Really...we need to be honest about this stuff.  :lol:  
Agreed. The sniffing hair stuff is troubling. The "Person, Woman, Man" stuff is troubling. 

If people could drop the tribalism for a minute and be honest it seems like discussion would be better. 

Anecdote time.  I’ve started seeing more and more Trump 2024 signs.  I think it’s almost a foregone conclusion that he’s the candidate if he’s healthy enough and wants to do it.  There’s no chance the GOP won’t back him - he would destroy the party if they tried to push him out.
I keep telling people to bet now before everyone else gets a clue and the price goes down. Free money,  even if you do have to wait until their convention in July 2024 to get paid.

I don't remember a president as popular in my lifetime as Trump .... from Wisconsin to Florida, signs all over the interstates and on people's cars STILL supporting 2020 Trump

name call the supporters all you want - at least they don't follow a senile old kid sniffer who picked a VP that believes his sexual assault accuser ... can't make that story up on Days of Our Lives  😵
He was the least popular modern president, behind even Carter.

The whole sign thing is interesting.  When Obama originally ran, I remember seeing tons of signs, like one in almost everyone's yard.  With Trump I don't see very many houses with Trump signs, but the ones that do have Trump signs have 20-30 all over the yard, and have replaced their American flag in the yard with a Trump flag.  There is a fanaticism that surrounds him 

Agreed. The sniffing hair stuff is troubling. The "Person, Woman, Man" stuff is troubling. 

If people could drop the tribalism for a minute and be honest it seems like discussion would be better. 

Being President should be a young man's game. Its a very difficult, demanding job. I wish some of the other candidates would get nominated and not Biden or Trump. There's just no way that a 78 year old is going to have the mental acuity he or she had when he or she was 50. And then, specifically for Trump, add in that he is obese and ... man it just seems like we should be nominating younger, healthier people.

So while I've no doubt Trump would win the nomination if he runs, I wish the younger candidates would have a better chance.

The loyalty thing with Trump is bizarre.  He demands total loyalty from everyone, yet he's loyal to nobody but himself
I think he is also loyal to his family, as long as they are loyal to him. It's why I think the only candidate he would totally support outside himself is one of his kids.

And how many of Trump's votes were "not Democrat"?

Again, Trump's approval high point was 49% which he reached once. For a brief time. He mostly hovered in the low 40s. That's not popular. That's pretty bad.
far less than "not Biden"

we'll see in 2024 ... no president serving one term and then out has ever had this much support afterwards ... and that might wane in 3 years, Trump could die, a fresh GOP face could take the party by storm ... time will tell

I don't disagree with this.  Took a long road trip through OR, ID, WY, MT, WA and back last summer and you're absolutely right, it was pro-Trump country.  Lake house we stayed at in ID was near another house that had 8 - EIGHT - Trump flags flying in the wind.  Ironic that the quintessential NY City man who probably never visited too many of these western states (let's not forget he couldn't even pronounce Yosemite correctly) was able to tap into these people's psyche and not only become relatable, but incredibly revered by them.  I despise the man, but credit is definitely due here.  

Took another long road trip this summer, mostly Redwoods/Oregon Coast and very few Trump flags/stickers/signs around, but that's probably more representative of the area than it is the fading popularity of the man.  Or it could be that after 6 months of accepting Biden's landslide victory over Trump that some folks finally took their flags and signs down.  

When historians study the cult of personality, Trump will be a topic for a full semester.  

Anecdote time.  I’ve started seeing more and more Trump 2024 signs.  I think it’s almost a foregone conclusion that he’s the candidate if he’s healthy enough and wants to do it.  There’s no chance the GOP won’t back him - he would destroy the party if they tried to push him out.
He's tied with DeSantis @ +250 to get the republican nod and yes, I know how odds 'work'.  Just reporting what I see.  Nikki Haley +700 is third and I think she'd be a decent option for a sawbuck or two.  The South Dakota gov is +1400 and I could see the same folks who loved Palin clamoring for her.

Gonna be a wild ride, folks.  Strap in.

I don't disagree with this.  Took a long road trip through OR, ID, WY, MT, WA and back last summer and you're absolutely right, it was pro-Trump country.  Lake house we stayed at in ID was near another house that had 8 - EIGHT - Trump flags flying in the wind.  Ironic that the quintessential NY City man who probably never visited too many of these western states (let's not forget he couldn't even pronounce Yosemite correctly) was able to tap into these people's psyche and not only become relatable, but incredibly revered by them.  I despise the man, but credit is definitely due here.  

Took another long road trip this summer, mostly Redwoods/Oregon Coast and very few Trump flags/stickers/signs around, but that's probably more representative of the area than it is the fading popularity of the man.  Or it could be that after 6 months of accepting Biden's landslide victory over Trump that some folks finally took their flags and signs down.  

When historians study the cult of personality, Trump will be a topic for a full semester.  

I really don't think it's the cult of personality thing. As you said, his personality goes against many folks that support him. I've posted it here a ton but I think it's just one more example of how this article explains a ton of it. I know a ton of people who fit exactly this category described here. https://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about

I really don't think it's the cult of personality thing. As you said, his personality goes against many folks that support him. I've posted it here a ton but I think it's just one more example of how this article explains a ton of it. I know a ton of people who fit exactly this category described here. https://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about
I don't disagree and think the article nails a few of the reasons why he was elected in 2016 and so revered in rural parts of our country.  But, I'd offer this article as a counter and again point out the cult of personality Trump and the GOP has created around him is very much a real thing and still in play for 2024:  https://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-have-built-a-cult-of-personalty-around-trump-2021-3

Or it could be that after 6 months of accepting Biden's landslide victory over Trump that some folks finally took their flags and signs down
right

nobody is Biden supporting now 6 months later - but the Trump supporters? They still believe in him and what he said/stood for

and in 2024 ... Trump will want to get back, and tens of millions will support him

IF Trump could smother his mouth, talk positives, say nothing negative .... and pick a young vibrant black person ... I think he'd be formidable 

The truly depressing thing is this is the best we could do.  These two men were nominated and received 160mil votes for president.  And most people want to be part of one of these tribes and attack the other, as though that is the problem - the whole thing is abysmal.

4 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

Expand  

I took a couple long drives in the past 3 months in the midwest - my favorites were the large Trump/Pence billboards that had Pence crossed out.

right

nobody is Biden supporting now 6 months later - but the Trump supporters? They still believe in him and what he said/stood for

and in 2024 ... Trump will want to get back, and tens of millions will support him

IF Trump could smother his mouth, talk positives, say nothing negative .... and pick a young vibrant black person ... I think he'd be formidable 
It might be that the best thing that ever happened to his future chances was getting banned from Twitter/FB.  Hard to broadcast your idiotic blather when you don't really have a platform.

Trump/Herschel Walker 2024?  

I took a couple long drives in the past 3 months in the midwest - my favorites were the large Trump/Pence billboards that had Pence crossed out.
:lmao:

I particularly enjoyed the "F YOUR FEELINGS" Trump stickers and shirts we saw last summer around McCall, ID (which was absolutely NOT a masked up town at the peak of Covid).  Loved my daughter asking me "why does that guy have the F word on his shirt" over lunch?  Told her to pipe down because that guy would pulverize her dad and end our vacation in a hurry.  

Another fun side note:  I got "Bahhhhhhhhed" at in Montana for wearing a mask inside a gas station.  :lmao:

My prediction for 2024 is that Trump will declare his candidacy, fleece his supporters for as much money as he can, and then drop out citing a health concern.   DeSantis will get the nomination with Trump's endorsement.   

My prediction for 2024 is that Trump will declare his candidacy, fleece his supporters for as much money as he can, and then drop out citing a health concern.   DeSantis will get the nomination with Trump's endorsement.   

If trump doesn’t run, he is going to screw the gop by staying in as long as possible so he can grift
Both of these have legs imo

Would he fleece more supporters running for the GOP nomination or as a 3rd party candidate?  If the latter, he can go all the way to Nov. with the grift.  

The truly depressing thing is this is the best we could do.  These two men were nominated and received 160mil votes for president.  And most people want to be part of one of these tribes and attack the other, as though that is the problem - the whole thing is abysmal.
I just want someone that looks out for all Americans.   I never belonged to a tribe or clique in my life. 

I guess I'm unfamiliar with the supposed sniffing phenomenon. I thought he was inferring Biden was a pedophile. 

:lmao:

I particularly enjoyed the "F YOUR FEELINGS" Trump stickers and shirts we saw last summer around McCall, ID (which was absolutely NOT a masked up town at the peak of Covid).  Loved my daughter asking me "why does that guy have the F word on his shirt" over lunch?  Told her to pipe down because that guy would pulverize her dad and end our vacation in a hurry.  

Another fun side note:  I got "Bahhhhhhhhed" at in Montana for wearing a mask inside a gas station.  :lmao:
Brutal. I bet you were vaccinated against horrible diseases as a kid, see a dentist a couple of times a year and believe the obesity and cholesterol myth too. /sarcasm 

The attack on science from the right has me more than a little concerned. 

Would he fleece more supporters running for the GOP nomination or as a 3rd party candidate?  If the latter, he can go all the way to Nov. with the grift.  
I'd say GOP.   He's already got his loyalists, but some traditional conservatives will support him as the "not a Democrat" candidate.  If he splits off, the traditionalists may write him off and throw their money at the guy that sounds the most like him but isn't as divisive.   Guys like McConnell want him gone.    

right

If my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle. 

The establishment GOP and GOP media would finally turn on him if he tries to run 3rd party.  He'd still have a ton of supporters that aren't really conservative or Republicans but I think the grift is more profitable for him in the confines of the political party.

Look at these guys discussing the two favorites for the GOP nomination in a thread about the GOP nomination!  
You'll have to excuse some of the comments,  their talking points flash cards only have so many responses and that one must have been at the top of the deck.

right

:oldunsure:

I'm in NE WI (10-15 minutes from Green Bay and still see a ton of Trump 2020 signs/flags.  There is one brave sole in my area (rural) that shows his/her Biden pride but that is very rare in my travels.  And of course my neighbor finally took down his tatered Trump 2020 flag and put up a F Biden flag...

I'm in NE WI (10-15 minutes from Green Bay and still see a ton of Trump 2020 signs/flags.  There is one brave sole in my area (rural) that shows his/her Biden pride but that is very rare in my travels.  And of course my neighbor finally took down his tatered Trump 2020 flag and put up a F Biden flag...
Well 47 from Appleton to Shawano and on up just north of there…one sign I noticed.  That said…also not a ton in between there on that road.

Users who are viewing this thread