What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will own pick 1.1? Chi. And then what? (1 Viewer)

Arizona at 2 really adds some intrigue to this. When it was NE at 2, I think a QB was a lock at 1 and 2, now....

Arizona at 2 really adds some intrigue to this. When it was NE at 2, I think a QB was a lock at 1 and 2, now....
A lot depends on if Harrison comes out. I think he will, but stranger things have happened.
I can't imagine he stays, but like you said...

MHjr to Arizona makes too much sense to think they'd go in any other direction. #2 pick might be a WR
ARI's OL is bad. Paris Johnson Jr. isn't a lock (so far) at LT. It wouldn't be out of the picture that they go OT (again) with their first rounder and pick up a WR in a very deep class with there second 1st rounder or 2nd rounder. They also have a number of holes elsewhere that need filled. Trading down from the #2 for additional draft capital would probably be smart.

Yeah the Bears are pretty much a lock for the 1st pick. Their own pick though has dropped all the way from 2 early in the season to 8 with their recent habit of winning games.
At least the 1.1 pick gives them options. Trade down and get the best OT and Nabers. Assuming you keep Fields of course.
Keep the pick and draft Williams, than best OT at their own pick.
Trade down a few times. Say with Washington, than the Raiders if they want a qb like Maye or Daniels.
As a Chicago fan. I love the spot they're in now.
Washington will be picking 3 so pretty sure they can get a QB there without trading up.

Yeah the Bears are pretty much a lock for the 1st pick. Their own pick though has dropped all the way from 2 early in the season to 8 with their recent habit of winning games.
At least the 1.1 pick gives them options. Trade down and get the best OT and Nabers. Assuming you keep Fields of course.
Trade down a few times. Say with Washington, than the Raiders if they want a qb like Maye or Daniels.
Washington will be picking 3 so pretty sure they can get a QB there without trading up.
Of course they can. You could do that any year. It just depends on preference.
Most reports I've seen have Williams and Maye as the clear top two qbs. They might think Daniels is in that tier too. Heck, I don't know if Washington is even looking at qb, I just used them as an example.

Of course they can. You could do that any year. It just depends on preference.
Most reports I've seen have Williams and Maye as the clear top two qbs. They might think Daniels is in that tier too. Heck, I don't know if Washington is even looking at qb, I just used them as an example.
Howell has shown some flashes, but has also crapped the bed a good bit. Is that EB's offense? Will EB even be in WAS in 2024? Howell doesn't have a ton of draft capital on his side, so I'd expect WAS will look hard at a QB unless they get an absolute haul to trade down.

At least the 1.1 pick gives them options.
I don't think it does. Pick the QB to build around and move Fields. Where things get interesting is what they do beyond that...once they've figured out what to do in leadership anyway. No way the McCaskey family fumbles that either...

I don't think it does. Pick the QB to build around and move Fields. Where things get interesting is what they do beyond that...once they've figured out what to do in leadership anyway. No way the McCaskey family fumbles that either...
I agree, but I'm also willing to hear offers if I'm Chicago. If I'm offered a deal like Carolina offered last year (for sake of argument say Max Crosby is offered by Vegas as the player to go along with the picks). I take that in a second even with Crosby getting a new contract.
The first pick can plug one hole or multiple holes depending on how it's played

I agree, but I'm also willing to hear offers if I'm Chicago. If I'm offered a deal like Carolina offered last year (for sake of argument say Max Crosby is offered by Vegas as the player to go along with the picks). I take that in a second even with Crosby getting a new contract.
The first pick can plug one hole or multiple holes depending on how it's played
That's still an auto reject for me. This team can compete in 2024, but they aren't in a position to make a run at a title. If they get the QB right then they have a 5-6+ year window that opens starting in 2025 though. Can't say the same if they ride it out with Fields. He and Maxx (in your hypothetical) are gonna eat into most of their available cap, so their ability to build around them will be limited to the draft and ring chasers within a year or two.

By building around a rook they have their ability to build around him is essentially limitless and useful vets will want to come play with him. Gotta get the coaching hire right though.

The rumor is Washington is willing to pay the price to move up to #1 for Caleb Williams... a DC native.

Sounds right since they are prime for an overhaul and franchise face-lift.

Pick the QB to build around and move Fields.
It's a no brainer really.

Read an article two weeks ago from Charles Robinson where he polled 7 GM's on what they'd do and all 7 said it was an easy call to trade Fields and draft a QB.

Also all 7 of them pegged Fields trade value and it basically ranged between a 2 and a 3. You don't pass elite QB prospects at 1.1 to retain a QB valued like Fields as your starter.

I don't even have any suspense regarding if the Bears will trade Fields or pick a QB with their first pick. It's just a matter of where they trade and for what and if they prefer Caleb or Maye.

Pick the QB to build around and move Fields.
It's a no brainer really.

Read an article two weeks ago from Charles Robinson where he polled 7 GM's on what they'd do and all 7 said it was an easy call to trade Fields and draft a QB.

Also all 7 of them pegged Fields trade value and it basically ranged between a 2 and a 3. You don't pass elite QB prospects at 1.1 to retain a QB valued like Fields as your starter.

I don't even have any suspense regarding if the Bears will trade Fields or pick a QB with their first pick. It's just a matter of where they trade and for what and if they prefer Caleb or Maye.
It’s very obvious if you’re being objective.

If they can trade the top pick AND stay in the top 3 though? That’s a coup.

If they can trade the top pick AND stay in the top 3 though? That’s a coup.
My thought is they won't entertain this unless they got a Godfather offer or really liked Jayden Daniels on par with the other two.

What I don't think Chicago will do is assume that Marvin will go second or that Arizona won't trade out. My guess is in fact that will happen, that Arizona will move back.

The rumor is Washington is willing to pay the price to move up to #1 for Caleb Williams... a DC native.
I'm not seeing this rumor among Washington beat reporters. Where did you hear/read it? Thanks.

I'm not seeing this rumor among Washington beat reporters. Where did you hear/read it? Thanks.
Thanks.
As I read that, it's just speculation by Brener and Graziano.

Thanks.
For sure, but it makes sense on the surface. Washington has an extra second this year and to move from 1 to 4 shouldn't break the bank.

Also sets up Washington perfectly to turn the page from the last owner/team image.

Thanks.
For sure, but it makes sense on the surface. Washington has an extra second this year and to move from 1 to 4 shouldn't break the bank.

Also sets up Washington perfectly to turn the page from the last owner/team image.
Though it could evoke RG3 if their pick doesn’t work out.

Thanks.

Easy to make a case that it makes sense but it's hard for me to put any stock in a rumor about it when they don't likely don't have the existing front office or coaching staff in place yet. Like whoever would make that trade is probably not in the building yet.

I'm going to keep on saying that I think it's far more likely if a team trades up for a QB they are going to move up to 2 and my guess right now is that ends up happening, that Chicago will stick and pick and Arizona will move back.

Thanks.

Easy to make a case that it makes sense but it's hard for me to put any stock in a rumor about it when they don't likely don't have the existing front office or coaching staff in place yet. Like whoever would make that trade is probably not in the building yet.

I'm going to keep on saying that I think it's far more likely if a team trades up for a QB they are going to move up to 2 and my guess right now is that ends up happening, that Chicago will stick and pick and Arizona will move back.
Bears might still take a QB at #1, but its not a slam dunk. I think it boils down to how they grade out Williams and maye vs Fields and trade offers.

But it's rumor season now. People talk and teams explore options.

I can't imagine Washington Managment who still needs a face of the Franchise can sell Sam Howell or the third best QB in this class to some of the better up and coming coaching candidates.

Bears are the new Lions. Sad to say as a longtime fan but I like Fields and hope he gets a chance in a good system. Bears haven't had a top offensive coordinator since . . . . probably never. Bears first pick this year? Hopefully better than Cedric Benson at 4 who fumbled away their last superbowl chance or Trubisky at 2 who they traded up for in a delusional panic. If the rest of the league can't figure out how to draft qb's - look at the "vaunted" class which Fields was a part of - than how is the worst qb drafting franchise in history going to do it?

I guess I’m in the minority who thinks Washington should stick with Howell and trade down and use the stockpile to build the rest of the team. Teams give up on QBs way too easily and remember, 1st round QBs are 50/50 at best. i think Howell has shown enough to get at least one more year. If they decide to move on from him, they’ll likely be drafting high enough get another QB, or they can draft one or two later round QBs - either way they’ll have a much better team surrounding their new QB than they have now.

There is no way anyone can claim Caleb alone will put Washington in playoff contention with this current team. So he’ll struggle for two years, everyone will be screaming that he sucks and they need to move on, rinse and repeat.

But it's rumor season now. People talk and teams explore options.

I can't imagine Washington Managment who still needs a face of the Franchise can sell Sam Howell or the third best QB in this class to some of the better up and coming coaching candidates.
After the next 2 games there is no Washington Management. Nobody knows who'll be brought in to the front office and coaching staff. Trying to guess what the unknown people brought it will want to do is kind of futile at this point. That team needs a hell of a lot more before they can worry about how to sell the team. The owner's in place. But no one else is.

I guess I’m in the minority who thinks Washington should stick with Howell and trade down and use the stockpile to build the rest of the team. Teams give up on QBs way too easily and remember, 1st round QBs are 50/50 at best. i think Howell has shown enough to get at least one more year. If they decide to move on from him, they’ll likely be drafting high enough get another QB, or they can draft one or two later round QBs - either way they’ll have a much better team surrounding their new QB than they have now.

There is no way anyone can claim Caleb alone will put Washington in playoff contention with this current team. So he’ll struggle for two years, everyone will be screaming that he sucks and they need to move on, rinse and repeat.
Amen. I so want them to trade back, and load up on OL, get some real LBs, a legit TE, and CB depth. In a perfect world, trade back and get Bowers or a top 3 OL, and then stock pile. And take a QB in round 2 if someone falls. I doubt Jacoby is on the team next year.

if they thought Howell was any good they wouldn't have benched him

NE bumped up to #3 based on strength of schedule change from last nights game. Bad news for NE is they play the Jets week 18 and Wash plays Dallas.

That was probably dumb a$$ Ron's call, and then Harris stepped in and said play Howell you idiot. That's my best guess.

Everyone (except maybe Rivera) knew their week 15-18 schedule was brutal and that Howell would likely struggle. Keep him in and let him learn. They accomplish nothing by starting Brissett - I’m sure he is not in their long term plans. But Rivera is probably only thinking short term (his job).

I'd love for Washington to trade back. I think it's unlikely though, standing pat and taking one of the top 2 QBs for the new regime seems likely

Picking 2nd now.
Wonder how much it would take to swap picks with Chicago?
I don't know why they'd do that.

There are legitimately 3 QBs that could be the #1 pick, and they'll get to pick from at least 2 of them. Maybe all 3 if Chicago sticks with Fields and takes Harrison Jr at #1.

Washington has way too many holes to give anything away IMO. That's why I'd hope they'd trade down for a haul.

Picking 2nd now.

There are legitimately 3 QBs that could be the #1 pick, and they'll get to pick from at least 2 of them. Maybe all 3 if Chicago sticks with Fields and takes Harrison Jr at #1.

Washington has way too many holes to give anything away IMO. That's why I'd hope they'd trade down for a haul.
Well, if they want Williams, they'll have to trade up. If they're happy with the consolation prize with Maye or Daniels they can do that.
Everything I've read is the new owners are looking for a face for the team. The number one qb could be the face they are looking for.

Picking 2nd now.

Well, if they want Williams, they'll have to trade up. If they're happy with the consolation prize with Maye or Daniels they can do that.
Everything I've read is the new owners are looking for a face for the team. The number one qb could be the face they are looking for.
Whoever our GM is for the draft isn't hired yet. Whatever "want Williams" narrative might exist, it's a rumor built upon nothing.

Williams didn't have a great year, I'm not sure he's the first QB to get picked this year. Odds on favorite, sure, but that's not etched in stone remotely.

Updated 2024 NFL Draft Order​

Round 1​

1. Chicago Bears (from CAR 2-14)
2. Washington Commanders (4-12)
3. New England Patriots (4-12)
4. Arizona Cardinals (4-12)
5. New York Giants (5-11)
6. Tennessee Titans (5-11)
7. Los Angeles Chargers (5-10)
8. New York Jets (6-10)
9. Atlanta Falcons (7-9)
10. Chicago Bears (7-9)
11. Las Vegas Raiders (7-9)
12. Green Bay Packers (7-8)
13. Denver Broncos (7-8)
14. Minnesota Vikings (7-8)
15. New Orleans Saints (8-8)
16. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-7)

I think it boils down to the Difference between Williams and Daniels... what is that worth?

Bears locked #1... Washington and NE will be sos... which is tied right now

Do the Bears continue with Fields?
Where does Fields land and make the Bears sorry for trading him? I'm honestly curious the answer to this because I don't really know

Those questions and answers will be the determining factors in a lot of what people debate and discuss.
-Bears have a chance to flip the pick and have 2 1st Round picks for yers to come if they want to just play the Law of Large Numbers which might sound old school but remember the owner in charge of the Chicago Bears currently, she's like 103 years old which is a complete handicap to the fan base and the actual players suiting up each week, there ought to be danger pay factored into their weekly checks.

If the Bears opt to keep Fields, which I doubt but it’s possible, then they should be able to get a 2nd from Wash or NE and still get MHJ at pick 3.

Updated 2024 NFL Draft Order​

Round 1​

1. Chicago Bears (from CAR 2-14)
2. Washington Commanders (4-12)
3. New England Patriots (4-12)
4. Arizona Cardinals (4-12)
5. New York Giants (5-11)
6. Tennessee Titans (5-11)
7. Los Angeles Chargers (5-10)
8. New York Jets (6-10)
9. Atlanta Falcons (7-9)
10. Chicago Bears (7-9)
11. Las Vegas Raiders (7-9)
12. Green Bay Packers (7-8)
13. Denver Broncos (7-8)
14. Minnesota Vikings (7-8)
15. New Orleans Saints (8-8)
16. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-7)

Assuming the Pats lose to the Jets (I actually think they win) and Washington loses to the Cowboys will the Pats pass them in the SOS tie-breaker?

Beats got a 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and DJ Moore for the trade last year. The second 2nd rounder is next year, but what a haul. This years Top Pick can turn into 3 firsts. Bears should keep Justin and build a great team with all that draft capital.

Users who are viewing this thread