What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will own pick 1.1? Chi. And then what? (1 Viewer)

If Chicago ends up with the #1 via Carolina I guarantee they take a QB.

Their rebuild for the last 3 years has led to this moment. If they don't reset their QB rookie contract clock now you may as well take the franchise away from the family because they don't deserve to play in the NFL anymore.

Because Fields ain't it.

Bears have to be 100% certain Fields is the answer because they will have to pay him soon. If they have doubts and have franchise grades on any of this years qbs they need to take them.
100% correct.

Here is a link to the contracts for all the QBs in the NFL:

QB Contracts

Notice where guys like Jimmy Garoppolo, Derek Carr, Jared Goff, Daniel Jones, and Ryan Tannehill are. Then look at guys like Trevor Lawrence and C.J. Stroud. It is such a huge advantage to have a QB on their rookie contract. Why would you pay Fields more money than Tua? Or Anthony Richardson? Or Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels? Fields is entering year 4. He has already been a rookie first round pick. They have to pick up his 5th year option THIS off-season. You can only have Fields cheap for two more years. Maybe he improves some, but to what level? Or, you could have your favorite rookie on a C.J. Stroud deal. It's not like Chicago doesn't have other additional picks and ample cap space to improve their surrounding cast.

Keeping Fields is flat out stupid.
I'd be interested in seeing what JF's agent thinks he is worth. If they can keep him long term around 33-37mil a year, I think its worth entertaining it. Guys like Lawrence and Tua are about to break the bank for their teams. Now we're starting to see that isn't the best way to build either.

Rookie QBs are risky as well and the NFL has shown its not great at QB evaluations either.
It's worth entertaining if you've been winning games with Fields and are picking in the 20's. It doesn't make sense when you've had the #1 pick two years in a row. They foolishly passed last year and gave Fields another chance. They're extremely lucky to have another bite at the apple this season too. As well as another likely top 10 pick of their own to put around that QB. Plus cap space (especially with a QB on a rookie contract), plus an early second rounder PLUS another likely high extra 2nd next year as well. The Bears could build a dynasty around Caleb Williams. Do not pass it up because too many Bears' fans have Justin Fields jerseys.

Bears have to be 100% certain Fields is the answer because they will have to pay him soon. If they have doubts and have franchise grades on any of this years qbs they need to take them.
100% correct.

QB Contracts

Notice where guys like Jimmy Garoppolo, Derek Carr, Jared Goff, Daniel Jones, and Ryan Tannehill are. Then look at guys like Trevor Lawrence and C.J. Stroud. It is such a huge advantage to have a QB on their rookie contract. Why would you pay Fields more money than Tua? Or Anthony Richardson? Or Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels? Fields is entering year 4. He has already been a rookie first round pick. They have to pick up his 5th year option THIS off-season. You can only have Fields cheap for two more years. Maybe he improves some, but to what level? Or, you could have your favorite rookie on a C.J. Stroud deal. It's not like Chicago doesn't have other additional picks and ample cap space to improve their surrounding cast.

I'd be interested in seeing what JF's agent thinks he is worth. If they can keep him long term around 33-37mil a year, I think its worth entertaining it. Guys like Lawrence and Tua are about to break the bank for their teams. Now we're starting to see that isn't the best way to build either.

Rookie QBs are risky as well and the NFL has shown its not great at QB evaluations either.

I cannot picture it being less then what Daniel Jones got.
Daniel Jones won a playoff game. Up until a few weeks ago JF had half a dozen career wins

You are really not selling me on Jones's resume...my guess is that deal is the standard for the non-franchise young starting QB...worth it or not it is just how the contract game works.
I think a few of those deals were born out of circumstance. The last two drafts have not been good for QB depth. Teams were kind of forced to overpay Jimmy G., Geno Smith, Derek Carr, and Daniel Jones for mediocre QB play because if they didn't they just get their brains beat in every week. Ironically enough a couple of those franchises have done fairly well without a couple of those guys under center.

The subsequent next two drafts should be full of QB talent. I don't think we'll see the mediocre starters getting $100M contracts. Maybe Kirk Cousins gets it from a team that thinks they're a QB away? I wouldn't pay him though.

Was trades multiple picks to get CW at #1. Chi builds around Fields and drafts an OT early then gets a WR to pair with Moore.
This is the exact OPPOSITE of what most Washington fans (like me) want. I think they have a legit shot at the 3rd pick, and I pray they trade back and get a king's ransom for Maye or Daniels from a QB needy team. The last time we traded back with the Saints, giving up Olave netted us Dotson, Brian Robinson, Howell, and Turner. A HUGE win for the franchise. And that was just for moving back from 11 to 16. Moving a top 4 pick should net 1st, 2nd, and future 1st and possibly 2nd too. Sign me up for that!!
I'll never understand why fans get more excited about picking in the top 10 than actually winning games. It's like a battered woman syndrome. You'd rather keep trading back and continuing to lose than getting a QB that can compete with Dak and Jalen Hurts? How does that make any rational sense?
Washington is 4-9. We aren't beating the 49ers or Dallas. So MAYBE they ball out and beat NYJ or Rams, but what does that get us? Absolutely nothing. Would MUCH rather lose out and get the more valuable asset to build around. With a new owner, new coaches and GM coming, easy to see why that is far more coveted than winning a meaningless game or two...

Was trades multiple picks to get CW at #1. Chi builds around Fields and drafts an OT early then gets a WR to pair with Moore.
This is the exact OPPOSITE of what most Washington fans (like me) want. I think they have a legit shot at the 3rd pick, and I pray they trade back and get a king's ransom for Maye or Daniels from a QB needy team. The last time we traded back with the Saints, giving up Olave netted us Dotson, Brian Robinson, Howell, and Turner. A HUGE win for the franchise. And that was just for moving back from 11 to 16. Moving a top 4 pick should net 1st, 2nd, and future 1st and possibly 2nd too. Sign me up for that!!
I'll never understand why fans get more excited about picking in the top 10 than actually winning games. It's like a battered woman syndrome. You'd rather keep trading back and continuing to lose than getting a QB that can compete with Dak and Jalen Hurts? How does that make any rational sense?
Washington is 4-9. We aren't beating the 49ers or Dallas. So MAYBE they ball out and beat NYJ or Rams, but what does that get us? Absolutely nothing. Would MUCH rather lose out and get the more valuable asset to build around. With a new owner, new coaches and GM coming, easy to see why that is far more coveted than winning a meaningless game or two...
I'm more referring to the trading back aspect with a top 3 pick and Maye/Daniels on the board.

100% correct.

QB Contracts

Daniel Jones won a playoff game. Up until a few weeks ago JF had half a dozen career wins

You are really not selling me on Jones's resume...my guess is that deal is the standard for the non-franchise young starting QB...worth it or not it is just how the contract game works.
I think a few of those deals were born out of circumstance. The last two drafts have not been good for QB depth. Teams were kind of forced to overpay Jimmy G., Geno Smith, Derek Carr, and Daniel Jones for mediocre QB play because if they didn't they just get their brains beat in every week. Ironically enough a couple of those franchises have done fairly well without a couple of those guys under center.

The subsequent next two drafts should be full of QB talent. I don't think we'll see the mediocre starters getting $100M contracts. Maybe Kirk Cousins gets it from a team that thinks they're a QB away? I wouldn't pay him though.

I do agree with the circumstance theory...the tough/most important part is does the team have a legit plan B which is usually not the case and why so many QBs get overpaid...it is easy to say the QB is not worth it (or just wait on a QB in the draft or take one next year) but if the GM/HC does not have big-time job security they usually get backed into a corner and pay or draft a QB high...that is why Chicago and Fields is so interesting because the Bears do have a legit plan B and it is a very good one (at least now)...on the flipside if Fields were dealt to a team like Atlanta they probably won't have a Plan B...with the importance of the QB position I just don't see this dynamic changing...QBs will usually be overpaid and over-drafted...and GM's and HC's jobs will be directly effected by the results.

Their rebuild for the last 3 years has led to this moment. If they don't reset their QB rookie contract clock now you may as well take the franchise away from the family because they don't deserve to play in the NFL anymore.

Because Fields ain't it.
I agree that's what they should do. Guess it comes down to the locker room. Is fields that well liked that players will give the new rookie a hard time. If the answer is no, trade fields. Even if it's yes, trade all the players that complain. You will absolutely get another first or two for JF for the future. Start the rookie QB contract over again and set up that rookie with multiple 1st round picks for years on the cheap deal.

100% correct.

QB Contracts

I'm not saying Jones' deal was good. NYC already regrets it, but statistically Jones was the better QB, healthier and team won more games to include a playoff win. That's signing upside...

JFs upside is going to be when (if) he wins 4 games this year... his best season

Because Fields ain't it.
I agree that's what they should do. Guess it comes down to the locker room. Is fields that well liked that players will give the new rookie a hard time. If the answer is no, trade fields. Even if it's yes, trade all the players that complain. You will absolutely get another first or two for JF for the future. Start the rookie QB contract over again and set up that rookie with multiple 1st round picks for years on the cheap deal.
Wait, what?

100% correct.

QB Contracts

I'm not saying Jones' deal was good. NYC already regrets it, but statistically Jones was the better QB, healthier and team won more games to include a playoff win. That's signing upside...

JFs upside is going to be when (if) he wins 4 games this year... his best season
$10M a win.

100% correct.

QB Contracts

It's worth entertaining if you've been winning games with Fields and are picking in the 20's. It doesn't make sense when you've had the #1 pick two years in a row. They foolishly passed last year and gave Fields another chance. They're extremely lucky to have another bite at the apple this season too. As well as another likely top 10 pick of their own to put around that QB. Plus cap space (especially with a QB on a rookie contract), plus an early second rounder PLUS another likely high extra 2nd next year as well. The Bears could build a dynasty around Caleb Williams. Do not pass it up because too many Bears' fans have Justin Fields jerseys.
Who was the last QB the Bears developed?

Like Fields or not, he is an average starting QB in this league. There is no guarantee Williams or Maye ever hit that level

100% correct.

QB Contracts

I do agree with the circumstance theory...the tough/most important part is does the team have a legit plan B which is usually not the case and why so many QBs get overpaid...it is easy to say the QB is not worth it (or just wait on a QB in the draft or take one next year) but if the GM/HC does not have big-time job security they usually get backed into a corner and pay or draft a QB high...that is why Chicago and Fields is so interesting because the Bears do have a legit plan B and it is a very good one (at least now)...on the flipside if Fields were dealt to a team like Atlanta they probably won't have a Plan B...with the importance of the QB position I just don't see this dynamic changing...QBs will usually be overpaid and over-drafted...and GM's and HC's jobs will be directly effected by the results.
If Atlanta trades for Fields they would still have Ridder for two more years as Plan 1B. Fields should already be Plan B. Plan A should be drafting someone else. I'm hoping they do go with Plan B's as a Bucs' fan.

100% correct.

QB Contracts

Like Fields or not, he is an average starting QB in this league. There is no guarantee Williams or Maye ever hit that level
Who was the last QB the Chiefs or Bengals developed? Just because you haven't done it before doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Because Fields ain't it.
Wait, what?
You don't think Fields in his 4th year would get top value back from teams like Was, ATL, Ten, TB, NE, NO, Sea?

100% correct.

QB Contracts

If Atlanta trades for Fields they would still have Ridder for two more years as Plan 1B. Fields should already be Plan B. Plan A should be drafting someone else. I'm hoping they do go with Plan B's as a Bucs' fan.

When I say Plan B I mean where they are if they make a trade for Fields (not saying if they should actually pursue him...that is another debate...Ridder is not a viable plan B IMO...he is a decent back-up...Fields would have the leverage in Atlanta although if they deal for him and he flames out they would be cleaning house so it probably wouldn't matter.

Who was the last QB the Chiefs or Bengals developed? Just because you haven't done it before doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
Yeah, I was thinking of this when I typed out my response earlier. The Chiefs NEVER took a swing at QB in the first round before Mahomes. The last QB they drafted before him in the first round was Todd Blackledge of all people.

At some points the Bears have to keep taking that swing. They already missed out on Mahomes and Stroud while being in position to get either of those guys.

They have to take the swing.

Because Fields ain't it.
Wait, what?
You don't think Fields in his 4th year would get top value back from teams like Was, ATL, Ten, TB, NE, NO, Sea?

The big question is what does top value mean?

100% correct.

QB Contracts

Bengals did well with Palmer.

But the Bears have invested 3 total first round picks in QBs since Trubisky.

If Williams really was a lock to be a franchise guy, go for it. I just don't think he is. I don't love JF either, but another haul like the last carolina one and I think it's in their best interest to do it

Because Fields ain't it.
Wait, what?

I think we have a unique situation where a young QB who was a top pick, did not suffer a career altering injury and has half a dozen teams in need of a franchise QB that can't get up to #1-2 in the draft. That should yield a pick swap, a 25 first and then either another first in 26 or 2nd and/or 3rd in 25. Plus whatever else they want to throw in player wise to even it up.

Because Fields ain't it.
Wait, what?

NFL is a strange beast when it comes to value. Poles traded his early second this year for Sweat who was about to be a FA and then gave him top FA money. In his mind it was a worth a 2nd round pick to lock him up and not go into a bidding war. Bears have no hope this year so that was a 2024 and beyond move.

You have to think getting a 24 year old QB who has flashed in the NFL would go for at least a second rounder plus. Might even get a first for him.

Sorry about the thread title but this is more about the bad teams draft order

Shoutout to NE winning out of pick 2 and all the 4 win teams accidentally winning this week - NYJ, Chi, NYG, Tenn

The times have changed...used to worry about getting homefield advantage and getting a bye and now it's getting excited about getting a high pick...gotta start somewhere!
Welcome to the party, pal!

Pre-Parcells this was an annual thing for Patriot fans...been there plenty of times...it's probably a good thing for the youngsters...been too easy for them.
I kinda miss the Hugh Millan days fwiw. And Bledsoe still is my favorite of all time. We did love Steve Grogan as kids though.

Because Fields ain't it.
Wait, what?
A first round pick?! Hell no. He has already proven he wasn’t worth the pick that was already spent on him and the team trading for him gets his two most expensive years.

I have no insider knowledge here, but the tea leaves I'm reading have the Bears dealing the first pick for a Herschel Walker type haul. Someone is going to fall in love with Caleb or Drake and back up the truck. Remember when Washington traded 3 firsts and a second to move up four spots to draft RGIII? Bears then pick a QB to wear a baseball cap for a year, learn the offense, and be ready to take over when Justin leaves (the Jordan Love approach).

There's plenty of talented QBs in this draft.

I have no insider knowledge here, but the tea leaves I'm reading have the Bears dealing the first pick for a Herschel Walker type haul. Someone is going to fall in love with Caleb or Drake and back up the truck. Remember when Washington traded 3 firsts and a second to move up four spots to draft RGIII? Bears then pick a QB to wear a baseball cap for a year, learn the offense, and be ready to take over when Justin leaves (the Jordan Love approach).

Also a good strategy.

The Bears will keep the number one pick,thank you Carolina and then draft Marvin Harrison jr. Who is the best player in this upcoming draft(assuming he enters the draft)

Yeah, I was thinking of this when I typed out my response earlier. The Chiefs NEVER took a swing at QB in the first round before Mahomes. The last QB they drafted before him in the first round was Todd Blackledge of all people.

At some points the Bears have to keep taking that swing. They already missed out on Mahomes and Stroud while being in position to get either of those guys.

They have to take the swing.
They took a swing with Fields. It didn't work out. Take another one. Especially with the options being Caleb Williams or "other."

If I'm Chicago I only trade that pick if I can stay in the top 3 and I also really love Maye or Daniels. If you have all 3 of them rated closely in a similar tier then sure. But, to come out of this draft with your QB still being Justin Fields is franchise crippling for Chicago.

100% correct.

QB Contracts

If Williams really was a lock to be a franchise guy, go for it. I just don't think he is. I don't love JF either, but another haul like the last carolina one and I think it's in their best interest to do it
I get being a little gun-shy. 3 since Trubisky? Who am I forgetting?

Because Fields ain't it.
Wait, what?
There’s no chance of Tennessee trading for fields. Levis is probably better.

Because Fields ain't it.
Wait, what?

I think we have a unique situation where a young QB who was a top pick, did not suffer a career altering injury and has half a dozen teams in need of a franchise QB that can't get up to #1-2 in the draft. That should yield a pick swap, a 25 first and then either another first in 26 or 2nd and/or 3rd in 25. Plus whatever else they want to throw in player wise to even it up.
🤷‍♂️ you’re insane Insein

That’s not a bad approach. Heck, if they stay at the 1 and 5 they can get the haul for the 1 and still walk away with Daniels or Penix.

Why do the Bears have to take Caleb Williams at 1.1? The best player in the draft is Harrison.

The Bears could draft Harrison, then the best OL if they decide to keep their other 1st rounder, get draft picks for Fields, and start Bagant and would be ahead also.

100% correct.

QB Contracts

I get being a little gun-shy. 3 since Trubisky? Who am I forgetting?
No one. Bears traded two firsts for Justin Fields... along with two lower rd picks. Their 2022 first ended up being #7 overall.

Why do the Bears have to take Caleb Williams at 1.1? The best player in the draft is Harrison.

The Bears could draft Harrison, then the best OL if they decide to keep their other 1st rounder, get draft picks for Fields, and start Bagant and would be ahead also.
Williams is the more valuable asset to NFL teams. It's why a QB will go #1 in the draft.

Hitching a franchise to bagent is also silly talk. Bears are either restarting the rookie qb clock or going into win now mode.

That’s not a bad approach. Heck, if they stay at the 1 and 5 they can get the haul for the 1 and still walk away with Daniels or Penix.
Absolutely. Even drifting down the list you've got other guys like Nix. I'm excited for the Bears this offseason.

Hopefully my Saints can grab one of the later QBs somewhere in the draft. Saints can cut Carr after 2024 with very little impact and turn the reigns over to the new guy.

I can take one more year of Carr. One. More. Year. (Apologies to all Raider fans who told us so, and we didn't believe them)

Williams is the more valuable asset to NFL teams. It's why a QB will go #1 in the draft.

Hitching a franchise to bagent is also silly talk. Bears are either restarting the rookie qb clock or going into win now mode.
Then they have to go into win now mode. Why would a FA want to go to a team that keeps resetting the qb clock?

Then they have to go into win now mode. Why would a FA want to go to a team that keeps resetting the qb clock?
Free agents don't. It's why we have to overpay or trade draft picks to bring them in.

Because Fields ain't it.
Wait, what?
If Chicago doesn’t want him why would anyone else at a 20+ million a year contract that he will want. . Hes worth a 3rd.

Because Fields ain't it.
Wait, what?
If Chicago doesn’t want him why would anyone else at a 20+ million a year contract that he will want. . Hes worth a 3rd.
Because he's better than what they have.

Because Fields ain't it.
Wait, what?
I'll bet anything you want to bet that if Fields is traded, it's for more than a third.

Because Fields ain't it.
Wait, what?
Because he's better than what they have.
That’s not what it’s about. It’s about value.

Williams has 10 total INTs the last two seasons. Penix has 17.

Williams has accounted for 93 total TDs.
Penix has 71.
Penix Highlights

I worry about his big windup. Takes a while for the ball to leave his hand.
He has an odd motion and release. Reminds me of Philip Rivers.
If any QB has Rivers career, I'd happily take them #1 overall. 15 years of good to elite QB play.
He'd be the best qb Chicago ever had by a mile.

Maybe I missed it, but haven't seen anyone bring up the fact they are likely due for a coaching change as well. I feel like the Fields vs. Williams decision would likely be leveraged as not just a decision for a new HC, but a way to entice a top level HC. Is there a better situation to walk into as a first year new HC than having the 1.01 and being able to shoot your shot? I mean is there a better way to get Ben Johnson to take an offer seriously? Or even perhaps maybe coax Jim Harbaugh out of college? Either of those cases I'd imagine they'd lean towards taking Williams/their guy over Fields. Unless they can get a god-father offer for 1.01 to trade back and really build out the team how they want.

Users who are viewing this thread